Here's what happened in the stock/bond markets last week (5/18-5/22)

Stock Market Analysis

While the Dow fell for the week, most major indices made progress but more stocks fell than rose in price. Small caps, as represented by the Russell 2000 rose 0.69% and we still have more than twice as many stocks hitting new highs as new lows. The market is clearly sending mixed signals as 5 sectors fell while 4 rose in price last week. Fortunately, all except Utilities have risen this year, with Healthcare leading the way, as it has for the last 1, 3, and 5 years.

5/4 - 5/8 Market Commentary by James Investment Research

Stock Market Analysis

It was a profitable week on Wall Street with large stocks such as those in the S&P 500 gaining 0.4% and smaller issues such as the Russell 2000 advancing nearly 0.6% on a total return basis. The best performers were generally found in the Healthcare and Financial sectors while Utility and Energy stocks fell by around 1%.

What happened in the stock/bond markets last week (4/27-5/1)?

Stock Market Analysis

The market had a wild week. The Dow fell 0.3% while the Russell 2000 tumbled 3.1% We had a continuation of recent volatility, the Dow had swings of over 140 points each day and for the week over 400 points. Unease in our cities seems to be spilling over into our financial markets. For the week we saw nearly twice as many stocks fall as rise but we still had over 200 stocks hit new yearly highs. We remain caught in a whirlpool, spinning violently but going nowhere, the Dow is up only 1.8% this year.

Stock & Bond Market Analyses (4/20 - 4/24)

Stock Market Analysis

It was a profitable week on Wall Street. Large and small stocks, as measured by the S&P 500 and Russell 2000, respectively, both gained over 1%. The biggest advances occurred in Technology and Cyclical issues while Non-Cyclical and Energy stocks lagged. Volume was relatively steady throughout the week.

Stock & Bond Market Update (4/13-4/17)

Stock Market Analysis

Following a positive prior week, stocks had a "sinking spell" last week when the Dow declined 1.8%. This brings its year to date return to a miniscule 0.02%. The broader S&P 500 Index has done only slightly better gaining slightly less than 1.1%. There is some evidence smaller and mid cap sized companies are doing somewhat better, with year to date returns of 2.80% for the S&P 600 Small Cap Index and approximately 4.4% for the S&P 400 Mid Cap Index.

Market Commentary by: James Investment Research (4/6 - 4/10)

Stock Market Analysis

What is going on? The European stock market, in their local currency, is doing ten times better than the market in the United States (21% vs 2.1%) this year. Unfortunately for U.S. investors, the dollar has appreciated over 12% against the Euro, diluting the return considerably. In fact, in U.S. Dollars, according to Bloomberg News, the European market is only up about 5%.

Here's what happened in the stock/bond markets last week (3/30-4/3)

Stock Market Analysis

The holiday shortened week was a profitable one for stock investors. As we have seen for much of this year the advance was led by smaller-cap stocks. The Russell 2000 Index, which often mirrors the moves of smaller stocks, gained 1.25% for the week. Larger stocks, like those of the S&P 500, advanced a more meager 0.32%. Overall, the market participated in the rally with almost three stocks advancing for every two that declined.

Market Commentary by: James Investment Research (3/23 - 3/27)

Stock Market Analysis

Last week stocks sagged with nearly 1,200 advancing against about 1,700 declining. Volume mostly declined on the pullback, but when stocks tried to rally Friday, volume fell off sharply. New highs were achieved by 367 NYSE issues, only 77 set new lows. Notwithstanding the relative number of new highs, it was, on the surface, a discouraging picture.

Margin debt declined again, and so did customer free credit, both thought of as negatives. Overall, the entire economic picture includes element of weakness as well as strength.

Stock & Bond Market Analyses (3/16 - 3/20)

Stock Market Analysis

"The pen is mightier than the sword," at least that is true for the market when the pen holder has an unlimited credit card - that is the Federal Reserve. Strangely, a lack of "patience" is seen as a good thing coming from the Fed. The Dow rallied 2.1% last week, recovering the recent losses and putting the Dow ahead 2.3% for the year. The smaller cap Russell 2000 did even better, up 2.8% for the week and more than doubling the Dow for the year. This is in keeping with what we said in our Economic Outlook - "The market is likely to undergo style rotation as smaller cap stocks are now cheaper than large cap stocks and this has been favorable for them historically."

Pages