• Sharebar

I know we have a lot of gearheads on WSO, and the topic of what car to buy with that bonus check comes up fairly often. With that in mind, I thought you guys would like to see the new 2013 Porsche Boxster that has just been revealed. It's much better looking than its predecessors (IMHO) and it's surprisingly affordable: only $60,000 for the souped up S-model.

I have to admit that I've never been a fan. When the Boxster was first introduced in 1996, it seemed like every douchebag and his brother in La Jolla was driving one. Seriously. It was like every third parked car in that town was a Boxster. And they were not good looking cars. The ass end looked like it belonged on a Fiat.

But the Boxster has evolved, and now looks much more like a classic Porsche (again, IMHO). And for $60,000 I don't think you'll be able to find anything more powerful. Now, I realize it'll be next to impossible to actually find one available for that price in 2013, but you never know, you might get lucky. And the ladies definitely love Porsches.

Here's a quick demo video:


So what do you guys think? Baller, or meh? I think it's a pretty sharp looking ride for the money. But then my last sports car was a 1968 Mercury Cougar (talk about classic styling...). Would you buy one of these for $60,000? How about $90,000 (which is probably what it'll take the first year)? I'm interested to hear from the gearheads on this one. Is this Porsche legit?

Comments (51)

  • Matrick's picture

    I think that all of the new Porsche are sick. The new 911 is even sicker. I am not a Boxster fan, but te main argument that it just looks like shit is done.

    I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing.

    See my Blog & AMA

  • happypantsmcgee's picture

    A boxster is a hairdressers car or MAYBE something you buy for your girlfriend - GSElevator

    If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

  • bajabandit's picture

    If 60k is your budget, I would rather go for any 911 that fits into that range over boxter. Boxter screams, "I just wanna a porsche - for cheap". The 911 has a style and legacy regardless of age, plus you would also be able to dump it one the market for relatively higher price than the brand new 2013 boxter. No brainer.

  • TonyPerkis's picture

    Aren't porsches historically for compensation?

    I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

  • In reply to porsche959
    cphbravo96's picture

    porsche959 wrote:
    God damn so many noobs on the board. Get a cayman, handles better than a 911 for less money. Basically a hardtop boxter that will run circles around a 911 with some basic mods.

    I think the new Boxster looks pretty good, but I like the Cayman better.

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • PetEng's picture

    You aren't getting out of the dealership with a 60K Boxster. Porsche is notorious for option pricing. Well optioned you are looking at 70-75k (MSRP).

    For equivalent money I'd prefer a new/slightly used Caymen/Z06/Viper/CTS-V/M3/S4.

  • In reply to shep
    Maximus Decimus Meridius's picture

    shep wrote:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius wrote:
    If you buy a Porsche you have to get the 911. The rest are for pretentious people who just want the brand.

    isn't that true for all luxury brands, though?

    Sure, for some people. My point is some people buy a Ferrari because it's a Ferrari, and some because they like cars and driving and really enjoy the car. When it comes to Porsche, the boxter is for the former, the 911 for the latter. So if you go around in a boxter people will know without a doubt you are a tool.

    And for the noob who says a Cayman drives better than a 911, you don't know how to drive or anything about cars. Just go to any touring car championship or even an amateur race and count the number of 911 vs caymans. It's just ridiculous.

  • In reply to TechBanking
    cphbravo96's picture

    TechBanking wrote:
    The CTS-V and M3 are about the same price and much faster. Plus, no one wants to drive a girl's car.

    I'm holding out for a Cadillac ATS-V coupe...hopefully it will give the M3 a run for it's money.

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • ST Monkey's picture

    I don't like the Boxster simply because it is a weekend touring car more than anything and if I want a weekend tourer, there are many better options out available like a Z4, M3 Coupe, S5, etc. It's a bad track car because it flexes too much on corners hence the major performance difference between a Cayman and a Boxster even though the HP difference is insignificant.

    Caymans and Carreras are both drivers cars as they are tuned towards racing than touring. Cayman is a great track car, it's light, nimble and offers great mid-engine balance. It can easily out corner a base Carrera, but not a 4S or any other much higher end Carreras. And these two cars do not race in the same category or brackets even when they are driven on the same track at the same time.

    The sad part is that most people buy Porsches just for the name and end up wrapping it around a pole because they don't know how to handle a fine sports car. If you got real balls and driving skills go drive a Carrera 993, that is a real Porsche enthusiast car.

  • In reply to cphbravo96
    TechBanking's picture

    cphbravo96 wrote:
    TechBanking wrote:
    The CTS-V and M3 are about the same price and much faster. Plus, no one wants to drive a girl's car.

    I'm holding out for a Cadillac ATS-V coupe...hopefully it will give the M3 a run for it's money.

    Regards

    I was hoping that they'd use the same engine as the CTS-V (although I do understand why they didn't) or at least another V-8. I'm sure that they'll give it plenty of power though as they are aiming it to compete with the M3. Should be a fun car!

    I came close to getting a CTS-V, but I live where it snows so AWD seemed to make more sense for me.

  • In reply to TechBanking
    cphbravo96's picture

    TechBanking wrote:
    cphbravo96 wrote:
    TechBanking wrote:
    The CTS-V and M3 are about the same price and much faster. Plus, no one wants to drive a girl's car.

    I'm holding out for a Cadillac ATS-V coupe...hopefully it will give the M3 a run for it's money.

    Regards

    I was hoping that they'd use the same engine as the CTS-V (although I do understand why they didn't) or at least another V-8. I'm sure that they'll give it plenty of power though as they are aiming it to compete with the M3. Should be a fun car!

    I came close to getting a CTS-V, but I live where it snows so AWD seemed to make more sense for me.

    Yeah, part of me wanted them to do the same, but as I thought about it...why not just buy the CTS-V then? I would actually get the wagon if I decided to splurge, lol.

    While the idea of a big ass V-8 in a small car sounds good, I think you ultimately ruin the intention of building a brand new, lightweight, agile chassis when you do that. Although I don't think fuel economy is a huge consideration among those purchasing a luxury sports car...it would be a consideration for me, to some degree, because I do take road trips from time to time to visit friends...so I want something that is partly practical. Rumor is Caddy will use a supercharged or (twin) turbocharged V-6...which will be right in the M3's wheelhouse.

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • In reply to APAE
    cphbravo96's picture

    A Posse Ad Esse wrote:
    I never understood why people hate the Panamera. It's a sexy car with good performance. That's like hating a sexy girl who's good in bed.

    I'm also surprised at how many people just flat out hate that car. I think it's a great looking car, but I do like my girls with some junk in the truck...cars as well..BMW M coupe and CTS-V wagon anyone?

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • In reply to ST Monkey
    Maximus Decimus Meridius's picture

    ST Monkey wrote:
    I don't like the Boxster simply because it is a weekend touring car more than anything and if I want a weekend tourer, there are many better options out available like a Z4, M3 Coupe, S5, etc. It's a bad track car because it flexes too much on corners hence the major performance difference between a Cayman and a Boxster even though the HP difference is insignificant.

    Caymans and Carreras are both drivers cars as they are tuned towards racing than touring. Cayman is a great track car, it's light, nimble and offers great mid-engine balance. It can easily out corner a base Carrera, but not a 4S or any other much higher end Carreras. And these two cars do not race in the same category or brackets even when they are driven on the same track at the same time.

    The sad part is that most people buy Porsches just for the name and end up wrapping it around a pole because they don't know how to handle a fine sports car. If you got real balls and driving skills go drive a Carrera 993, that is a real Porsche enthusiast car.

    A Cayman is easier to corner than a 911 carrera for a novice driver (which is probably the purpose of the car), but in the proper hands even the Carrera can out corner the Cayman (easily), the potential is much higher, which is why anyone who really wants the car to drive it will get a 911. Oh, and Cayman and 911 both race in GT2 and GT3, so same categories.

    I totally agree with your last paragraph, especially on the 993. Last Air-Cooled 911, last proper 911. I drove one once, it really is a beast and it takes really good hands to drive it fast.

  • Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    I don't think Porsche Boxter is worth 70-75k. 60k is impossible due to option pricing, btw.

    Porsche is a very fun car to drive, but expect to spend lots of dough on maintenance costs as they get older. 3-4 years after the purchase, you will experience all sorts of problems, and since Porsche parts are expensive, it costs a fortune fix shit.

    I would rather buy Audi. Less fun to drive, but cheaper, more practical, and more reliable.

  • happypantsmcgee's picture

    The Panerama looks like an aborted fetus.

    If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    Maximus Decimus Meridius's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    The Panerama looks like an aborted fetus.

    ??? It's much better looking than any vehicle from Lexus, Honda, Ford, GM, Jaguar, or Toyota. Talking about ugly designs, check out Jaguar. Those cars cost a fortune yet they look fucking retarded. Porsche is legit, and all of their cars look fine.

    Are you fucking kidding me? I could understand someone not liking the XK, but the XF and particularly the XJ are the prettiest cars in their segments....

  • In reply to Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    Maximus Decimus Meridius wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    happypantsmcgee wrote:
    The Panerama looks like an aborted fetus.

    ??? It's much better looking than any vehicle from Lexus, Honda, Ford, GM, Jaguar, or Toyota. Talking about ugly designs, check out Jaguar. Those cars cost a fortune yet they look fucking retarded. Porsche is legit, and all of their cars look fine.

    Are you fucking kidding me? I could understand someone not liking the XK, but the XF and particularly the XJ are the prettiest cars in their segments....

    XJ is decent looking, but all other cars from Jaguar look like pieces of shit. I think Toyota Camry is better looking than Jaguar sedans.

    But seriously, if you think Panerama looks ugly, you have some issues man. I think it is the most sporty and trendy looking luxury sedan of its class, and would beat out Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series, and Audi A8 in terms of appearance. (but also in performance, as well)

  • In reply to Maximus Decimus Meridius
    porsche959's picture

    Maximus Decimus Meridius wrote:

    A Cayman is easier to corner than a 911 carrera for a novice driver (which is probably the purpose of the car), but in the proper hands even the Carrera can out corner the Cayman (easily), the potential is much higher, which is why anyone who really wants the car to drive it will get a 911. Oh, and Cayman and 911 both race in GT2 and GT3, so same categories.
    .

    If the Cayman had the 3.8 or even the 3.6 motor, there would be no question which car is faster around a track. unfortunately Porsche fucked themselves by building a platform that could take out the 911, causing them to detune and limit the Cayman.

    Agree with the sentiment about the 993 being the last true 911. Although the GT2 RS is looking mighty finee.

  • In reply to porsche959
    Maximus Decimus Meridius's picture

    Apparently I'm the only one who likes Jaguars!!!

    porsche959 wrote:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius wrote:

    A Cayman is easier to corner than a 911 carrera for a novice driver (which is probably the purpose of the car), but in the proper hands even the Carrera can out corner the Cayman (easily), the potential is much higher, which is why anyone who really wants the car to drive it will get a 911. Oh, and Cayman and 911 both race in GT2 and GT3, so same categories.
    .

    If the Cayman had the 3.8 or even the 3.6 motor, there would be no question which car is faster around a track. unfortunately Porsche fucked themselves by building a platform that could take out the 911, causing them to detune and limit the Cayman.

    Agree with the sentiment about the 993 being the last true 911. Although the GT2 RS is looking mighty finee.

    Like you said, it's the same engine tweaked differently. The power difference is not that big, I think that an average driver would actually be faster with a Cayman S or R around a track than with a Carrera. But my point was about the way the car behaves in corners, nothing to do with power. The platform is still way ahead, they've been working on it for decades and it is amazing how it works, it's not like the old days where you needed very good hands to drive one fast and not die. I've had my decent share of touring car and rally driving, and every person I know would take the 911 over the Cayman. The Cayman probably has a brighter future, but I do agree with you that Porsche will never allow it, so we'll see. Anyway, I understand someone driving a Cayman the point is the Boxter is crap!!

    I do like your taste in cars. The GT2 RS is an awesome car, although it takes big balls to drive that beast. However I would take the GT3 RS over it. Naturally aspirated over turbo every time. The 959 was an awesome car, but I hate the fact that Porsche never had the balls to let it compete in Group B rallying, it would have been good to see how good the car really was.

Pages