Wall Street Oasis is looking for one intern to help me manage our content, specifically the homepage, forum and blog content, and help manage the contributing authors. This is considered the best internship we have to offer because of the amount of hands-on experience you will have working directly with me, the inside look you will have at how the site runs, and if you're already a super-user of the site then it will be very easy for you to get off to a running start on your projects.
The internship is unpaid, but tangible/intangible benefits you will receive are listed below. You will be working remotely and communicating with me at least once per week (via chat/email).
If you're looking for that internship to get your foot in the door and fill your resume with some real-world experience for a large financial community, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
- You have an interest in learning about content management (with a focus on finance related content)
- You have a strong interest in learning about the inner-workings of a successful online forum/website
- Knowledge of what WSO is all about (ie study our About Us page, browse through our homepage content, and watch this interview with patrick on Mixergy)
- You are a very MOTIVATED SELF-STARTER WITH A SOLID WORK ETHIC, AND THE ABLILITY TO MEET DEADLINES
- Can commit to 10+ hours per week availability.
- Current university student or recent graduate
- Able to respond to emails promptly during weekdays (unless you give me advanced notice)
- I don't care what your background is, what your stats are, I just want candidates who can be 100% committed to the internship.
Bonus qualities I will take into consideration but not required:
- Solid track record as a poster on WSO (good sb:ms ratio, and have been a good contribitutor to the site)
- Experience with online content management
- Social media experience
- BASIC experience with HTML
- Strong knowledge of finance principles
Examples of some the tasks you will be doing:
- Helping to format posts for the frontpage, implementing basic html. The html is easy to learn and I can quickly teach it.
- Moving threads out of the "IB Bullpen" into other forums (too many threads are incorrectly placed in there)
- Helping me find old high-quality content to "bump" to the top of the forums for those who have never seen it
- Help me identify top comments that could be turned into their own posts
- Help me manage our blogging
- Other content related tasks which I will elaborate on later
- Start date: ASAP
- Internship term: 4 months minimum, 6 months + preferred
- Hours per week: ~7-12 depending on the week
- I am very flexible in allowing for time off for mid-terms/finals/job interviews/vacation etc.
Tangible Benefits for you upon successful completion:
- Free access to 6 WSO Guides (3 halfway through your internship, the rest at the end of the internship. The ib prep pack = 3 guides, and the new PE prep pack nor prep pack is not included
- Free access to WSO job board for one-year (after full-completion of internship)
- Free access to WSO Video Library for 6 months
- I'm happy to fill out any type of reference/background check for you (up to 3, within one year of your completion of the internship
- PDF signed letter of recommendation from me + will also post it onto your linkedin
Intangible benefits: - i.e. what you will learn
- Finance: You will have a ton of exposure to online finance content (blogs/articles/news/authors etc.)
- Online-content: you will learn how content management works for a large online community. You will learn what makes a good post and what makes a poor post.
- Interns that work hard and prove themselves have potential to move up the ranks and work on higher level projects in specific areas you're interested in.
- I've had several in the past, so I know how it is - I am trying to design this internship to be as beneficial for you as possible.
- See below for what Patrick can offer
To apply: please email me (subject: "Content Management Internship") at [email protected] your resume and the answers to the following questions:
- A brief rundown of your experience with WSO
- Current status (student / graduate)
- A confirmation that you meet the aforementioned skills/requirements, and any of the bonus skills you possess
- Your current availability: hours per week you can commit to, time off needed (for mid-terms/finals/travel etc) & until what date you can commit to. Please think about this carefully because if you commit to doing this for 6 months I REALLY need you to stay on for 6 months.
- What is one unique thing I should know about you in considering you for this internship?
After you apply I will set you up with a phone interview with me and send you a sample project to look over. If accepted, you will have 2-3 week trial period during which both sides can decide if it is a good fit or not.