Wall Street Oasis is looking for one-twoto help me manage our content, specifically the homepage, forum and blog content, and help manage the contributing authors.
The internship is unpaid, but tangible/intangible benefits you will receive are listed below. You will be working remotely and communicating with me at least once per week (via chat/email).
If you're looking for that internship to get your foot in the door and fill your resume with some real-world experience for a large financial community, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
- You have a strong interest in learning about content management (with a focus on finance related content)
- You have a strong interest in learning about the inner-workings of a successful online forum/website
- Knowledge of what WSO is all about (ie study our About Us page, browse through our homepage content, and watch this interview with patrick on Mixergy)
- You are a very MOTIVATED SELF-STARTER WITH ASOLID WORK ETHIC, AND THE ABLILITY TO MEET DEADLINES
- Can commit to 10+ hours per week availability.
- Current university student or recent graduate
- Able to respond to emails promptly during weekdays (unless you give me advanced notice)
- I don't care what your background is, what your stats are, I just want candidates who can be 100% committed to the internship.
Bonus qualities I will take into consideration but not required:
- Solid track record as a poster on WSO (good sb:ms ratio, and have been a good contribitutor to the site)
- Experience with online content managementg
- Social media experience
- Experience with html
- Strong knowledge of finance principals
- Good writing experience and willing to try doing some "discussion-starter" style posts for the site that have the potential of being posted on the homepage.
Examples of some the tasks you will be doing:
- Helping format the posts by our contributing authors (they will submit the post to you in word and I will need you to create the post on our site, implementing basic html. The html easy to learn and I can quickly teach it.
- Help me create the weekly wrap up post
- Helping me find old high-quality content to "bump" to the top of the forums for those who have never seen it
- Help me identify the best forum posts and comments of the day
- Help come up with new topic ideas for our contributing authors
- Help me manage our syndications
- Help faciliate and organize our q&a's and interviews
- Other content related tasks which I will elaborate on later
- Start date: ASAP
- Internship term: 8-12 weeks depending on your availability
- Hours per week: ~10
- I am very flexible in allowing for time off for mid-terms/finals/job interviews/vacation etc.
Tangible Benefits for you:
- Free access to all WSO Guides (1 after 2 weeks of solid work, 5 more after 6 weeks of solid work, and the addt'l 5 after completion of the internship)
- Free access to WSO job board for one-year (after full-completion of internship)
- Free basic * (*depends on the reviewers availability, but we have been able to help all interns so far with this).
- I will make myself available to you for any questions you have regarding the site, content, etc. . My -background is not in finance so I cannot help with this, but I do know people who I can refer you to.
- Patrick* and I are happy to assist you with your career in the future - i.e. give recommendations / referrals etc.
Intangible benefits: - i.e. what you will learn
- Finance: You will have a ton of exposure to online finance content (blogs/articles/news/authors etc.)
- Online-content: you will learn how content management works for a large online community. You will learn what makes a good post and what makes a poor post.
- Interns that work hard and prove themselves have potential to move up the ranks and work on higher level projects in specific areas you're interested in.
- I've had several in the past, so I know how it is - I am trying to design this internship to be as beneficial for you as possible.
- See below for what Patrick can offer
To apply: please email me (subject: "Content Management Internship") at [email protected] your resume and the answers to the following questions:
- A brief rundown of your experience with WSO
- Current status (student / graduate)
- A confirmation that you meet the aforementioned skills/requirements, and any of the bonus skills you possess
- Your current availability: hours per week you can commit to, time off needed (for mid-terms/finals/travel etc) & until what date you can commit to. Please think about this carefully as I need committed people here and if you tell me you can do 10 weeks, then I expect you working for 10 weeks
- -Yes or no if you are also interested in being a campus rep at your school (not necessary, but a plus - see more info here)
- What is a specific example you can describe to me that shows you are hard-working?
- What is a specific example you can describe to me that shows you are detail-orientated?
- What is one unique thing I should know about you in considering you for this internship?
After you apply I will set you up with a phone interview with me and send you a sample project to look over. If accepted, you will have 2 week trial period during which both sides can decide if it is a good fit or not.
*additional info from Patrick:
Putting "Wall Street Oasis" on their resume when they are trying to break onto Wall Street is a nice experience to have, even if it is just 1-2 bullets - it looks like the perfect internship, in a time when it is damn hard to find relevant experience. For many of our previous interns the internship experience has helped them tremendously.
And if they do a good job, I am willing to serve as a personal reference for the interns that show a dedication to WSO and help us move forward. I can vouch that they busted their ass and are hard workers - exactly what banks are looking for. I wrote a great endorsement for a previous intern on LinkedIn, the intern that built our entire finance dictionary from scratch and did an amazing job. He now has me as a personal reference any time he is applying for jobs because he went above and beyond my expectations.