• Sharebar

Mod note (Andy): throwback Thursday, this originally went up September 2012

I'm fairly new here, and deciding what to write about in a blog entry might seem easy enough, but I'd rather people enjoy what I read than just read it and forget it. So I spent some time this week going through the more popular posts on WSO, and a good chunk of them revolve around this hilarious concept of being "alpha," and that "slaying hotties" is a badge of honor and the end-game for us guys in finance.

Even the posts about finding a way to be happy are all just about making money and getting ass. I'll chalk it up mostly to the college freshmen that post on this site, but I feel the need to set the record straight about what it really means to be an "alpha male." And it's a lot more simple than people think.. you don't need millions of dollars, a stable of women, or pumped up biceps. So for your reading pleasure, and inspired by previous bloggers, WhiteHat presents "The Alpha Checklist."

[ X ] - Be Self-Sufficient - This is where the money comes in handy. A man has to be able to take care of himself if he ever expects to take care of anyone else. This isn't all about money though. I'm consistently baffled by the number of Ivy League-educated people I know who can't cook, fix a flat, clean up after themselves, fix basic plumbing, do laundry, or properly clean themselves. There should never be a situation in your every-day life where the thought "I need help" enters your mind. If your apartment explodes because of a gas leak and you're not entirely confident you can put it out yourself... I think that counts as an extraordinary item.

[ X ] - Don't Get Your Ass Kicked - Another one Ivy League-educated friends of mine have a hard time with. I'm not saying you have to be Bruce Lee, but every man should have some reasonable level of experience in learning how to defend themselves. Taking a boxing class or learning self-defense is great not just for the actual use but for confidence purposes. But you don't even have to go that far, just hit the weight room a few times a week or something! You can't expect to give the kind of lip I see from some users on this site in person if you look and sound like Simon Birch. You've got two choices here: either learn to kick some ass or shut the fuck up. I strongly recommend a combination of the two.

[ X ] - Be Interesting - I'd say this is the key to "getting ass" for those solely interested in that kind of thing. Then again, if that's all you're interested in you probably aren't getting any and are a boring son of a bitch to begin with, so for that I pity you. Anyway, the reason people want to be around other people is because it gives them the opportunity to finally lift some attention off their own lives and see what the rest of the monkeys on this planet are up to. Assuming that statement isn't 100% bullshit, this means people gravitate towards those who live very different lives than their own. What I'm trying to say here is... the strategy of "doing what everyone else is doing so they'll like you" is counter-intuitive, and a real man acts the way he wants to act, and luckily that's what makes him fun to be around. This also means all the stuff people throw at you about having "game" and being a "pick-up artist" is absolute dogshit. Follow that line of thinking and you'll be getting as much as the dude on here who claimed to be an Asian dating coach (personal favorite thread during my search... couldn't control myself) as a side project. Screw that shit, be you and I guarantee the kind of girls that enjoy it won't be batshit crazy... well, not to you at least.

[ X ] - Act Like A Boss - This doesn't mean you have to literally be a boss... as in running your own company. What it does mean is that a man never puts himself in a situation where he's forced to bend to the will of another. For those of us in the junior analyst stage of our careers that probably seems pretty hard, but it's more of an attitude than anything else. If you're a banker, the work you do should be for the deal, not for your MD. If you're an investment analyst, your research and your pitch aren't to make your PM happy so he doesn't fire you, they're to test yourself as an investor. This is the attitude you should be coming to work with, and it's the attitude that will prompt you to make sure you have not only have success, but also have one of the things that's most important in finance, especially in a shitty economy like this: an escape plan. If you get the axe tomorrow, the last thing you should be thinking about is how your life is over thanks to your boss. Pull an Ari Gold and get on the phone working on that exit plan... Tsetse fly!

[ X ] - Cut the Politics - While lesser men sit around crying about what policy "should" be in place or what cause needs to be taken up to fix this rotten little world of ours, a real man is out there either fixing it or making the best of a bad situation. There's nothing more annoying to me than a political activist. These armchair warriors are the kinds of people who make me embarrassed that we share the same gender. Things aren't fair, the world isn't perfect, and no matter who's in charge you're going to pay a boatload in taxes, so instead of whining about it you should be out there making sure you find a way to live with it. By the way, despite what they say, chances are your vote doesn't actually count for shit. And like I've said many times before, nothing else in the world matters until you've made sure your own backyard is provided for. And lastly...

[ X ] - Know How To Drink - Yet another massive failure on the part of most of my Ivy League brethren. I get it. You went to an all-boys private Catholic high school and spent more time in a Princeton Review classroom than you did partying, and now it's your turn. Really, I understand. But by the time you get out of college, please have an understanding of how much you can handle. There's nothing more embarrassing for the other men in the room than when you're so belligerent that the bouncer forces us to take you out and the night is ruined because you couldn't hold down 3 Long Islands. And while we're on the subject, have a go-to beer and a go-to cocktail, and make sure neither are blatantly homosexual... unless you're trying to tell us something. Every man should be able to have casual drinks without things turning into a shitshow, and they should have a good idea of what they like and don't like. It's not rocket science.

You're up, monkeys - what else is important to being a true "alpha?" Is being alpha even important? Think this checklist is horribly inaccurate and want to punch me in the face? Have some other suggestions of what makes the man? I wanna hear it.

19 2

Comments (309)

  • DonVon's picture

    Damn. I am all of these things, obviously, but I can't drink more than 2 beers. Damn alcohol allergy. And I'm not even AZN.

    "An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Check out my blog!

  • sayandarula's picture

    great post. let me add a few things:

    - be a leader: i think the most important part of being an "alpha" is having a dominant personality in social situations. in fact, i think this is the defining characteristic of an "alpha".

    -do NOT tell other people how "alpha" you are: for those of you going around telling people that you are an "alpha male", you should be aware that you sound like an enourmous tool. you're trying too hard... and nobody likes a try-hard.

    Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

  • BlackHat's picture

    where in gods name did you find that badass monkey picture

    I hate victims who respect their executioners

  • In reply to BlackHat
    sayandarula's picture

    BlackHat wrote:
    where in gods name did you find that badass monkey picture

    just do a google search for "pulp fiction monkey".

    Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

  • In reply to sayandarula
    DonVon's picture

    sayandarula wrote:
    BlackHat wrote:
    where in gods name did you find that badass monkey picture

    just do a google search for "pulp fiction monkey".


    Sir...why on God's green Earth do you know this?

    "An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Check out my blog!

  • BeigeHat's picture
  • CaR's picture
  • In reply to DonVon
    sayandarula's picture

    DonVon wrote:
    sayandarula wrote:
    BlackHat wrote:
    where in gods name did you find that badass monkey picture

    just do a google search for "pulp fiction monkey".


    Sir...why on God's green Earth do you know this?

    i didn't... took a lucky guess. the suit and the gun reminded me of pulp fiction, and i assumed that someone on the internet would have described it as such. when you search for as much obscure internet porn as i do, you build a sixth sense for these kind of things.....

    Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

  • In reply to CaR
    BlackHat's picture

    CaR wrote:
    Beige is not an alpha color

    Lmao... so true

    I hate victims who respect their executioners

  • SirTradesaLot's picture

    If you are 'WhiteHat', then the Asian Dating Coach was 'AssHat'.

    This was a good post, his was the worst ever written on this site. Amazingly, some people actually liked his post...I was not one of them.

    adapt or die wrote:
    What would P.T. Barnum say about you?

    MY BLOG

  • Carl Richards's picture

    Being an Alpha isn't an acquired trait, its something you've been your entire life. Whether the leader of your group of friends, first one to take charge, captain of the football team..An alpha male is the top of the food chain and as such lesser males follow his lead.

  • APAE's picture

    +1. How this thread hasn't earned more yet astounds me.

    Most people do things to add days to their life. I do things to add life to my days.

    Browse my blog as a WSO contributing author

  • Nefarious-'s picture

    GreyHat, WhiteHat, BlackHat?

    Wtf? Why?

    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

  • In reply to Fundamentally Undervalued
    GreyHat's picture

    Fundamentally Undervalued wrote:
    what's with all the colored hats all of the sudden?

    "People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer."

    Andrew Smith

  • Unforseen's picture

    WhiteHat wrote:
    [ X ] - Don't Get Your Ass Kicked - Another one Ivy League-educated friends of mine have a hard time with. I'm not saying you have to be Bruce Lee, but every man should have some reasonable level of experience in learning how to defend themselves. Taking a boxing class or learning self-defense is great not just for the actual use but for confidence purposes. But you don't even have to go that far, just hit the weight room a few times a week or something! You can't expect to give the kind of lip I see from some users on this site in person if you look and sound like Simon Birch. You've got two choices here: either learn to kick some ass or shut the fuck up. I strongly recommend a combination of the two.
    .

    I disagree with this one. I don't think you need to know how to fight to be an alpha male. An alpha male has the presence of being able to defend himself, however he hows how to quickly diffuse dangerous situations without putting himself or others in danger.

    I would switch the above with the following:

    Take care of your apprerance. Always dress refined. Never give the appereance of being tired or sick. Always be well groomed. Have excellent posture. Have appealing body language. Have great poise.

  • BlackHat's picture

    I think we have a fun club

    I hate victims who respect their executioners

  • FeelingMean's picture

    Good post.

    I am not sure how I would react if someone told me, seriously, that they were an "alpha male"... I didn't know such douchebaggery could exist.

    "That dude is so haole, he don't even have any breath left."

  • Nefarious-'s picture

    As far as the post goes, being alpha (to me) exudes being a man, doing shit that men are supposed to do and know how to do.

    Here is a list of some of the shit that I do that I feel is completely lost on my generation of men:

    Shaving - How do you shave? Is it with a gillette mach 3? You are doing it wrong. I shave with a straight razor. Now I understand this may take a little longer what with the stropping and what not (if you don't know what a strop is, that is a huge problem and you are not alpha) but as a man you should still know how to shave with a straight razor. There is nothing manlier or alpha than shaving with an actual hand crafted blade. Even using a double edge safety razor is more alpha than a mach 3 cartridge.

    Brewing your own beer. Do any of you know how to do this? Know what is involved in it? Even have room to do in it your over crammed apartment in NY you share with four other guys? Let me tell you something - there is no prouder moment you will have as a man than the time you put into creating your own brew and sharing it with your friends.

    Knowledge of fine foods/spirits/wine/cigars - All of this falls into the same category. Do you know the difference between a single malt, vatted malt and blended scotch/whiskey's? Can you pair wines with food? Can you pair beers with food? Can you pair scotch with cigars or wine with cigars? Having this type of knowledge makes you look credible, in charge and intelligent. It makes people respect you and follow your lead.

    Can you cook a steak? Do you know how to season a steak? I will give you a hint, if you are cooking it on a grill, you don't know how to cook a steak. If you use steak sauce, you don't know how to season a steak.

    These are just a few points of what men should know how to do. The result of knowing things like the above is being alpha.

    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

  • In reply to DonVon
    AndyLouis's picture

    DonVon wrote:
    Damn. I am all of these things, obviously, but I can't drink more than 2 beers. Damn alcohol allergy. And I'm not even AZN.

    time to change your avatar hipster

  • In reply to Nefarious-
    WhiteHat's picture

    I think that stuff is more specific than the things I was thinking about, but good additions nonetheless... especially this one:

    Nefarious- wrote:

    Can you cook a steak? Do you know how to season a steak? I will give you a hint, if you are cooking it on a grill, you don't know how to cook a steak. If you use steak sauce, you don't know how to season a steak.

    Knowing how to cook, especially the basics, is a skill any grown man should probably have...

  • In reply to WhiteHat
    Nefarious-'s picture

    WhiteHat wrote:
    I think that stuff is more specific than the things I was thinking about, but good additions nonetheless... especially this one:

    Nefarious- wrote:

    Can you cook a steak? Do you know how to season a steak? I will give you a hint, if you are cooking it on a grill, you don't know how to cook a steak. If you use steak sauce, you don't know how to season a steak.

    Knowing how to cook, especially the basics, is a skill any grown man should probably have...

    You would be shocked at the amount of men that do not know how to cook.

    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

  • OilseedsTrader's picture

    good job

    Don't give up what you want most for what you want now

  • In reply to Nefarious-
    droking7's picture

    Nefarious- wrote:

    Shaving - How do you shave? Is it with a gillette mach 3? You are doing it wrong. I shave with a straight razor. Now I understand this may take a little longer what with the stropping and what not (if you don't know what a strop is, that is a huge problem and you are not alpha) but as a man you should still know how to shave with a straight razor. There is nothing manlier or alpha than shaving with an actual hand crafted blade. Even using a double edge safety razor is more alpha than a mach 3 cartridge.

    Knowledge of fine foods/spirits/wine/cigars - All of this falls into the same category. Do you know the difference between a single malt, vatted malt and blended scotch/whiskey's? Can you pair wines with food? Can you pair beers with food? Can you pair scotch with cigars or wine with cigars? Having this type of knowledge makes you look credible, in charge and intelligent. It makes people respect you and follow your lead.

    I hope knowing how to quote just part of a comment isn't a defining characteristic of being "alpha," but I disagree with (what I hope I quoted.)

    Come on, a single razor makes you alpha..? Lol, that's useless and not alpha. The whole knowledge of food thing is somewhat alpha, but being alpha really comes down to attitude and having an "alpha" personality. An "alpha" really doesn't give a shit about what razor he uses or the differences in whiskeys. He owns what he does, probably looks good/cool doing it, and isn't a puss.

    Edit: I do know how to quote part of a comment. I must be alpha.

  • In reply to Nefarious-
    sayandarula's picture

    Nefarious- wrote:
    WhiteHat wrote:
    I think that stuff is more specific than the things I was thinking about, but good additions nonetheless... especially this one:

    Nefarious- wrote:

    Can you cook a steak? Do you know how to season a steak? I will give you a hint, if you are cooking it on a grill, you don't know how to cook a steak. If you use steak sauce, you don't know how to season a steak.

    Knowing how to cook, especially the basics, is a skill any grown man should probably have...

    You would be shocked at the amount of men that do not know how to cook.

    does boiling pasta and and making grilled chicken count?

    Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

  • In reply to droking7
    WhiteHat's picture

    droking7 wrote:
    An "alpha" really doesn't give a shit about what razor he uses or the differences in whiskeys. He owns what he does, probably looks good/cool doing it, and isn't a puss.

    This would be the TL;DR version of my post. Well put, sir.

  • WSOusername's picture

    Wow, I'm glad to see general agreement that money =/= alpha. They're by no means mutually exclusive, but I always thought the WSO impression was that one caused the other. My definition has always been based off of how you would handle yourself if SHTF. I know that's vague and be can be described in a million ways. Anything from if a bunch of hoods tried to jump you on a subway, to if you were caught in a natural disaster. Imo, the way you'd handle yourself in those situations says WAYYYYYY more about "alphaness" than your job title or savings account.

    GBS

  • In reply to WSOusername
    WhiteHat's picture

    GoldmanBallSachs wrote:
    Wow, I'm glad to see general agreement that money =/= alpha. They're by no means mutually exclusive, but I always thought the WSO impression was that one caused the other. My definition has always been based off of how you would handle yourself if SHTF. I know that's vague and be can be described in a million ways. Anything from if a bunch of hoods tried to jump you on a subway, to if you were caught in a natural disaster. Imo, the way you'd handle yourself in those situations says WAYYYYYY more about "alphaness" than your job title or savings account.

    And again. This is perfect. Some of you monkeys have the right idea after all.

  • In reply to droking7
    Nefarious-'s picture

    droking7 wrote:
    Nefarious- wrote:

    Shaving - How do you shave? Is it with a gillette mach 3? You are doing it wrong. I shave with a straight razor. Now I understand this may take a little longer what with the stropping and what not (if you don't know what a strop is, that is a huge problem and you are not alpha) but as a man you should still know how to shave with a straight razor. There is nothing manlier or alpha than shaving with an actual hand crafted blade. Even using a double edge safety razor is more alpha than a mach 3 cartridge.

    Knowledge of fine foods/spirits/wine/cigars - All of this falls into the same category. Do you know the difference between a single malt, vatted malt and blended scotch/whiskey's? Can you pair wines with food? Can you pair beers with food? Can you pair scotch with cigars or wine with cigars? Having this type of knowledge makes you look credible, in charge and intelligent. It makes people respect you and follow your lead.

    I hope knowing how to quote just part of a comment isn't a defining characteristic of being "alpha," but I disagree with (what I hope I quoted.)

    Come on, a single razor makes you alpha..? Lol, that's useless and not alpha. The whole knowledge of food thing is somewhat alpha, but being alpha really comes down to attitude and having an "alpha" personality. An "alpha" really doesn't give a shit about what razor he uses or the differences in whiskeys. He owns what he does, probably looks good/cool doing it, and isn't a puss.

    Edit: I do know how to quote part of a comment. I must be alpha.

    I can't tell if this post is serious - from the troll tone in your reply, your avatar and your username, I just can't tell.

    If you don't know the differences in whiskey, shave with a cartridge blade and can't cook a steak, I don't care how much money you have, you are not alpha.

    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

  • In reply to Nefarious-
    sayandarula's picture

    Nefarious- wrote:
    droking7 wrote:
    Nefarious- wrote:

    Shaving - How do you shave? Is it with a gillette mach 3? You are doing it wrong. I shave with a straight razor. Now I understand this may take a little longer what with the stropping and what not (if you don't know what a strop is, that is a huge problem and you are not alpha) but as a man you should still know how to shave with a straight razor. There is nothing manlier or alpha than shaving with an actual hand crafted blade. Even using a double edge safety razor is more alpha than a mach 3 cartridge.

    Knowledge of fine foods/spirits/wine/cigars - All of this falls into the same category. Do you know the difference between a single malt, vatted malt and blended scotch/whiskey's? Can you pair wines with food? Can you pair beers with food? Can you pair scotch with cigars or wine with cigars? Having this type of knowledge makes you look credible, in charge and intelligent. It makes people respect you and follow your lead.

    I hope knowing how to quote just part of a comment isn't a defining characteristic of being "alpha," but I disagree with (what I hope I quoted.)

    Come on, a single razor makes you alpha..? Lol, that's useless and not alpha. The whole knowledge of food thing is somewhat alpha, but being alpha really comes down to attitude and having an "alpha" personality. An "alpha" really doesn't give a shit about what razor he uses or the differences in whiskeys. He owns what he does, probably looks good/cool doing it, and isn't a puss.

    Edit: I do know how to quote part of a comment. I must be alpha.

    I can't tell if this post is serious - from the troll tone in your reply, your avatar and your username, I just can't tell.

    If you don't know the differences in whiskey, shave with a cartridge blade and can't cook a steak, I don't care how much money you have, you are not alpha.

    to each their own, i suppose. i would define an alpha by how they carry themselves in social situations, not based on personal/cultural preferences.

    as an example, i'd be willing to bet that Southerners wont consider you an alpha unless you can shoot a firearm or hunt. WASPy northeastern types probably consider playing preppy varsity sports like Rugby or Lacrosse as a prerequisite to Alphadom. as for Indians, if you can't properly write a few lines of SQL then you, my friend, are a Beta.

    this is why i like staying away from specifics like cooking steak or brewing beer and gravitate more towards personality traits..

    Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

  • In reply to Carl Richards
    Anomanderis's picture

    Carl Richards wrote:
    Being an Alpha isn't an acquired trait, its something you've been your entire life. Whether the leader of your group of friends, first one to take charge, captain of the football team..An alpha male is the top of the food chain and as such lesser males follow his lead.

    Not quite true. It can be learnt(ed?). Natural Alphas are simply people who acquired it at birth. There's something of a science to it.

    But Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely.

    And Rhaegar died.

  • Determined's picture

    I think awareness has a lot to do with this notion of "alpha". If you are aware of yourself, your shortcomings and strengths, you can put yourself in situations that allow you to demonstrate what you excel at. At the same time you need to be aware of what's going on around you. There is a time and place for everything, so knowing when to shine and when to let others shine is very key.

    In the end, it shouldn't really matter. If you like who you are/who you're becoming then everyone else can suck a bag of dicks.

    Talent is hitting a target no one can hit.
    Genius is hitting a target no one can see.

  • pacman007's picture

    You're "alpha" if your ballsack is greater than the average mans......also the whole being able to hold down a few drinks...spot on.

    "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion" - Muhammad Ali

  • xxix's picture

    wow, you guys really give a shit about how someone exudes their presence? You gay fucks.

    Who gives a shit. worry about yourself and be a morally right person and mind your own fucking business.

    who the fuck goes around and judges someone else to be alpha or not...lol.

    I can honestly say I've never ever gone around campus and looked at someone and said to myself, "damn, that's one alpha dude...jesus h. christ, I wish I can be like him." honestly, never.

    you guys just lost respect from me.

    I've hung out with cool dudes and I've hung out with some retarded fucks, that's as far as judging someone goes. I don't even give a shit if they're a bit anti-social or weird, I understand where they're coming from and I make it work, but I've never described someone as alpha. I go to a southern university and, instinctively, you'd think there'd be alphas everywhere, but I've never had to describe someone using that word. personable or weird as fuck or talkative, i would use, but not alpha/beta.

    people on 4chan do these discussions and it's killing me you guys view guys as alpha/beta based on their actions. we're all different, who gives a shit.

    Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor. -Dr. Alexis Carrel

  • In reply to xxix
    sayandarula's picture

    xxix wrote:
    wow, you guys really give a shit about how someone exudes their presence? You gay fucks.

    Who gives a shit. worry about yourself and be a morally right person and mind your own fucking business.

    who the fuck goes around and judges someone else to be alpha or not...lol.

    I can honestly say I've never ever gone around campus and looked at someone and said to myself, "damn, that's one alpha dude...jesus h. christ, I wish I can be like him." honestly, never.

    you guys just lost respect from me.

    I've hung out with cool dudes and I've hung out with some retarded fucks, that's as far as judging someone goes. I don't even give a shit if they're a bit anti-social or weird, I understand where they're coming from and I make it work, but I've never described someone as alpha. I go to a southern university and, instinctively, you'd think there'd be alphas everywhere, but I've never had to describe someone using that word. personable or weird as fuck or talkative, i would use, but not alpha/beta.

    people on 4chan do these discussions and it's killing me you guys view guys as alpha/beta based on their actions. we're all different, who gives a shit.

    ironically the most "alpha" thing i've read in this thread thusfar.

    Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

  • In reply to Anomanderis
    CaR's picture

    Anomanderis wrote:
    Carl Richards wrote:
    Being an Alpha isn't an acquired trait, its something you've been your entire life. Whether the leader of your group of friends, first one to take charge, captain of the football team..An alpha male is the top of the food chain and as such lesser males follow his lead.

    Not quite true. It can be learnt(ed?). Natural Alphas are simply people who acquired it at birth. There's something of a science to it.

    I think it's a combination of both and subjective based on time and place.

    For example: Imagine a room full of a few fixed income investors, all decently successful. In walks Carl Icahn. It doesn't matter if the other gents are all better looking, stronger, more self sufficient, and are iron chefs of pounding vag; in that setting, they will bow down to their master. Carl is the alpha male because he has proven time in and time out that he is the master of his trade.

    That same group leaves the office and goes courtside to a Miami Heat game. Icahn's shirt says south beach bitches, but thats neither here nor there. When the warm ups start and the players run out, it becomes immediately clear that Lebron James is not only the alpha male on the court, but in the entire stadium. Icahn is richer, has a way cooler south beach bitches shirt, but Lebron was born from the loins of greatness (that delonte west may or may not have smashed, that too is neither here nor there) and is the only person in the milky way that can do what he does. He trained and learned alpha traits along the way, but he was also born better than everyone else.

    My adderall is wearing off so there's a good chance that makes zero sense, but do you get what I'm trying to convey? Alpha depends on your frame of reference; what your goals are, and where are happen to be. It can be natural--a degree of it inevitably is--but it too can be honed and developed. confidence is huge, so is a south beach bitches shirt.

  • In reply to CaR
    xxix's picture

    CaR wrote:
    Anomanderis wrote:
    Carl Richards wrote:
    Being an Alpha isn't an acquired trait, its something you've been your entire life. Whether the leader of your group of friends, first one to take charge, captain of the football team..An alpha male is the top of the food chain and as such lesser males follow his lead.

    Not quite true. It can be learnt(ed?). Natural Alphas are simply people who acquired it at birth. There's something of a science to it.

    but Lebron was born from the loins of greatness (that delonte west may or may not have smashed, that too is neither here nor there).

    oh god...this sentence made me laugh out loud. GOLDEN PANTHER!

    Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor. -Dr. Alexis Carrel

  • In reply to xxix
    Nefarious-'s picture

    xxix wrote:
    I can honestly say I've never ever gone around campus

    Students aren't alpha.

    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

  • In reply to CaR
    sayandarula's picture

    CaR wrote:
    Anomanderis wrote:
    Carl Richards wrote:
    Being an Alpha isn't an acquired trait, its something you've been your entire life. Whether the leader of your group of friends, first one to take charge, captain of the football team..An alpha male is the top of the food chain and as such lesser males follow his lead.

    Not quite true. It can be learnt(ed?). Natural Alphas are simply people who acquired it at birth. There's something of a science to it.

    I think it's a combination of both and subjective based on time and place.

    For example: Imagine a room full of a few fixed income investors, all decently successful. In walks Carl Icahn. It doesn't matter if the other gents are all better looking, stronger, more self sufficient, and are iron chefs of pounding vag; in that setting, they will bow down to their master. Carl is the alpha male because he has proven time in and time out that he is the master of his trade.

    That same group leaves the office and goes courtside to a Miami Heat game. Icahn's shirt says south beach bitches, but thats neither here nor there. When the warm ups start and the players run out, it becomes immediately clear that Lebron James is not only the alpha male on the court, but in the entire stadium. Icahn is richer, has a way cooler south beach bitches shirt, but Lebron was born from the loins of greatness (that delonte west may or may not have smashed, that too is neither here nor there) and is the only person in the milky way that can do what he does. He trained and learned alpha traits along the way, but he was also born better than everyone else.

    My adderall is wearing off so there's a good chance that makes zero sense, but do you get what I'm trying to convey? Alpha depends on your frame of reference; what your goals are, and where are happen to be. It can be natural--a degree of it inevitably is--but it too can be honed and developed. confidence is huge, so is a south beach bitches shirt.

    you sir, are making a ton of sense. very well put.. i've been rationing my SBs, otherwise i'd give you one. keep poppin' that adderall!

    Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

  • In reply to Nefarious-
    Febreeze's picture

    Nefarious- wrote:
    WhiteHat wrote:
    I think that stuff is more specific than the things I was thinking about, but good additions nonetheless... especially this one:

    Nefarious- wrote:

    Can you cook a steak? Do you know how to season a steak? I will give you a hint, if you are cooking it on a grill, you don't know how to cook a steak. If you use steak sauce, you don't know how to season a steak.

    Knowing how to cook, especially the basics, is a skill any grown man should probably have...

    You would be shocked at the amount of men that do not know how to cook.

    no offense, but this is retarded.

    I cook it however the fuck I want to eat it. If I want it hockey puck with A1 slapped on top, then that's how i GRILL it.

    If anything, what you said is "beta" to the max.

  • In reply to Nefarious-
    xxix's picture

    Nefarious- wrote:
    xxix wrote:
    I can honestly say I've never ever gone around campus

    Students aren't alpha.

    And what makes you think it's any different with anyone else?

    you know who i think is alpha? fathers who take up 2 jobs, waiting tables during the day and then UPS for nightshift so he could put his son through school. work so goddamn hard he doesn't even have time to play ball with his kids. worked at it for a few years enough for him to save up enough money to open up businesses to provide for his kids. put aside his goals and ambitions to raise his kids.

    people like that, I look up to.

    you're fucking sitting here telling me you go about fucking talking about cigars and wines to other bros and calling them alpha? Get the fuck out of here with your gay and obsessed shit.

    Don't get me wrong, people with money and power, I respect. I respect how they got there, the shit they put in to get where they are, but I don't make em out to be alpha/beta. how many dudes out there make a fuck ton of money and get to high places and are still weird as shit? pay for their fucking girls that are 1/3 their age; become sugardaddies. you look up to people like that?

    In my life, the only people who i give a shit enough to judge is my potential wife. you want to make sure the girl you're committing to will be the one you want to mother your children; likewise, you have to try to be the man that is the same caliber of the girl you're looking for. i.e. be morally righteous, do good shit for the sake of doing it, be tidy and clean up after yourself, be able to take care of yourself, and work fucking hard to get to where you want to be. (also take care of your looks, chicks don't want ugly bros)

    fucking sitting here talking about how some dude is so goddamn alpha because he can react in dangerous situations or because he has a shit ton of money/power, or bc he can compare wines/cigars.

    you guys really are jaded fucks.

    Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor. -Dr. Alexis Carrel

  • In reply to xxix
    BlackHat's picture

    xxix wrote:
    you guys really are jaded fucks.

    Doesn't make them wrong though.

    Is working 2 jobs and sacrificing your home life so your family can enjoy it something a man does? Perhaps. Some people are in a position where this is the choice they have to make because they don't have the tools on their toolbelts to do anything differently. In that case it's hard not to admire the guy, but do I want to put an arm around my kid's shoulder, point to him and say "take a good long look, THAT is what you want to be like someday." No, I don't. Slave to the system is something a lot of people are forced into being because they don't know any better or it's out of their hands to change their situations, like I said. But at the end of the day, if I'm in that same situation I'm going to go for broke and try and find a way to make myself a living that allows me to raise my family the way I want, not just the way I 'can' given my situation. And if I fail and it turns out I just don't have the ability to do it, then I guess it's time to check out, and when ol' BlackHat gets popped by 12 NYPD officers outside your local B of A with $100k in cash in a duffle bag, I hope you guys will say "damn, he sure sucked at everything he tried, but that shit was alpha as FUCK."

    I hate victims who respect their executioners

  • In reply to AndyLouis
    DonVon's picture

    AndyLouis wrote:
    DonVon wrote:
    Damn. I am all of these things, obviously, but I can't drink more than 2 beers. Damn alcohol allergy. And I'm not even AZN.

    time to change your avatar hipster

    Little did you know, PBR is not an allergen. It's my life blood.

    "An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Check out my blog!

  • In reply to xxix
    DonVon's picture

    xxix wrote:
    Nefarious- wrote:
    xxix wrote:
    I can honestly say I've never ever gone around campus

    Students aren't alpha.

    you guys really are jaded fucks.

    You are a god. SB

    "An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Check out my blog!

  • In reply to xxix
    WSOusername's picture

    xxix wrote:
    you know who i think is alpha? fathers who take up 2 jobs, waiting tables during the day and then UPS for nightshift so he could put his son through school. work so goddamn hard he doesn't even have time to play ball with his kids. worked at it for a few years enough for him to save up enough money to open up businesses to provide for his kids. put aside his goals and ambitions to raise his kids.

    people like that, I look up to.

    Oh wow, so you're actually capable of giving an answer and not just bitching and moaning about the thread? Idk why you're charging around here on some fuckin high horse like you're "John Q", but if you actually took the time to read some posts you may be enlightened that not every1 has disagreed with your general notion.

    GBS

  • In reply to Nefarious-
    StocksandBlondes's picture

    Nefarious- wrote:
    As far as the post goes, being alpha (to me) exudes being a man, doing shit that men are supposed to do and know how to do.

    Here is a list of some of the shit that I do that I feel is completely lost on my generation of men:

    Shaving - How do you shave? Is it with a gillette mach 3? You are doing it wrong. I shave with a straight razor. Now I understand this may take a little longer what with the stropping and what not (if you don't know what a strop is, that is a huge problem and you are not alpha) but as a man you should still know how to shave with a straight razor. There is nothing manlier or alpha than shaving with an actual hand crafted blade. Even using a double edge safety razor is more alpha than a mach 3 cartridge.

    Brewing your own beer. Do any of you know how to do this? Know what is involved in it? Even have room to do in it your over crammed apartment in NY you share with four other guys? Let me tell you something - there is no prouder moment you will have as a man than the time you put into creating your own brew and sharing it with your friends.

    Knowledge of fine foods/spirits/wine/cigars - All of this falls into the same category. Do you know the difference between a single malt, vatted malt and blended scotch/whiskey's? Can you pair wines with food? Can you pair beers with food? Can you pair scotch with cigars or wine with cigars? Having this type of knowledge makes you look credible, in charge and intelligent. It makes people respect you and follow your lead.

    Can you cook a steak? Do you know how to season a steak? I will give you a hint, if you are cooking it on a grill, you don't know how to cook a steak. If you use steak sauce, you don't know how to season a steak.

    These are just a few points of what men should know how to do. The result of knowing things like the above is being alpha.

    .... Haha you do some strange things man. I really agreed with you initial statement though, its all about knowing how to do manly shit. With that being said, Grilling is manly as hell. I am always the one running the grill when we have a cookout, and women love that, its a position of respect.

    Also, drinking - can you drink whiskey like a man is a big thing. If i hand you a glass of scotch and you look at me and say where is the diet coke, your a puss. If i hand you a shot of wild turkey and you order the next shot and its blue and sugary, your a puss.

    I like what the OP said about being able to do everyday stuff - that is a big deal

  • In reply to WSOusername
    xxix's picture

    GoldmanBallSachs wrote:
    xxix wrote:
    you know who i think is alpha? fathers who take up 2 jobs, waiting tables during the day and then UPS for nightshift so he could put his son through school. work so goddamn hard he doesn't even have time to play ball with his kids. worked at it for a few years enough for him to save up enough money to open up businesses to provide for his kids. put aside his goals and ambitions to raise his kids.

    people like that, I look up to.

    Oh wow, so you're actually capable of giving an answer and not just bitching and moaning about the thread? Idk why you're charging around here on some fuckin high horse like you're "John Q", but if you actually took the time to read some posts you may be enlightened that not every1 has disagreed with your general notion.

    You can't disagree because dad bustin ass >> cigar/wine bro and being able to cook being alpha. shaving with a goddamn straight razor? jesus h. christ, don't that shit take 12 years of learning to master? fuck, i forgot we were living in a time without dispensable razors. being self sufficient and not getting your ass kicked? anyone who has gone through college should have those 2 down pat. does it make everyone alpha then? Know how to drink? Oh fuck, nothing gets me more turned on than a guy who can hold his liquor.

    brofam, If you can make an argument for the latter. I'll say touche and rest my case. btw, i think you guys are confusing being a bro with being alpha.

    If i ever met a bro who can cook some real good shit and drink like an irish and can distinguish his wines/cigars, i'd definitely kick it with him and learn how he got so damn cultured and secretly wished I knew how to tell the difference between a cuban cigar and a ripoff.

    being a bro/cultured =/= alpha. fuck...what the fuck is being alpha even mean? you guys realize that alpha/beta shit only exist online, right? No one says that shit in real life. No one goes, "Oh god, dude's so alpha. I want to jump his bones", "Oh jesus, you see that alpha over there? doesn't the way he react to dangerous situations just turn you on?" literally no one has ever uttered those words in the existence of mankind [citation needed]

    I'm not on any horse, I just figured people such as you, educated from ivy-league schools, would have better sense of how the real world works and have your head on straight. Jesus fuck, you're already out there in the real world and here, a 19-year old, is setting you straight.

    I'm not going to stay here to ruin your evening, I have some things to attend to. hopefully, you'll realize the merits of what i'm saying. there's no alpha/beta shit.

    you're either ahead of your peers and have your life together socially and domestically, or you don't.

    simple as that.

    Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor. -Dr. Alexis Carrel

  • In reply to Febreeze
    Nefarious-'s picture

    Febreeze wrote:
    Nefarious- wrote:
    WhiteHat wrote:
    I think that stuff is more specific than the things I was thinking about, but good additions nonetheless... especially this one:

    Nefarious- wrote:

    Can you cook a steak? Do you know how to season a steak? I will give you a hint, if you are cooking it on a grill, you don't know how to cook a steak. If you use steak sauce, you don't know how to season a steak.

    Knowing how to cook, especially the basics, is a skill any grown man should probably have...

    You would be shocked at the amount of men that do not know how to cook.

    no offense, but this is retarded.

    I cook it however the fuck I want to eat it. If I want it hockey puck with A1 slapped on top, then that's how i GRILL it.

    If anything, what you said is "beta" to the max.

    No, kid. It isn't - and you are pathetic.

    You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Pages