There are a number of perks that come with a job in finance. They do, however, vary greatly from industry to industry and firm to firm. The list below is by no means comprehensive, but to give you a better idea of what the perks are for a couple of the industries.
Investment Banking Analyst
- Free car service home after a certain hour
- Free dinner and/or other meals if you're in the office for a certain amount of time or past a certain hour
- Discounts on financial services (checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, etc) in addition to the standard services (401k contributions, health coverage, etc)
- On-site gym, childcare, or cafeteria
- Large amounts of frequent flyer miles, eventually enough to earn special designations by airlines, depending on the firm
- Large numbers of rewards points, depending on the firm
- 401k contributions, health coverage, and other standard services
This is just to give you a general idea of what the perks of your job may include. For industries that don't work as long of hours or travel as much, the perks may be less, but there will undoubtedly still be some little things the firms do to make your lives easier. Also, keep in mind that at a small or newer financial services firm or consultancy, the perks may not be nearly as good as they may not be able to afford them. For a better idea of what firms offer, see the Relevant Discussions on Wall Street Oasis below.
Relevant Discussions on Wall Street Oasis:
- Compensation & Perks: How much will I make if I pursue a career in finance?
- Compensation & Perks: Check out our Compensation Database for 2008, 2009, and 2010
- Search WSO for: "perks"
- Relevant WSO Guides: A Look Behind the Wall - An Overview of Six Wall Street Career Paths
- Relevant WSO Services: Wall Street Mentors' Career Coaching and Mock Interviews