Silver BananaTopicAuthorRepliesFreshnesssort ascending
Military Service?Ok, I'm early on in college, and am still deciding whether or not to join the military. It has been my life-long dream to fly, and if i get an ROTC scholarship and fly after college, I will owe the military 8-10 years of service. I'm not quite sure what to do, because I am also very interested i...
cbk89
59 years 9 months ago
Shift from Biglaw into Bulge BracketWhat kind of level can a fifth year NYC biglaw corporate attorney expect if he makes a lateral move into banking? ...
ac11
19 years 9 months ago
Post IB PathWhat do most people pursue after investment banking? I know most analysts finish up their 2 (maybe 3) years and head back to b-school, but what about the folks that finish up 2-3 years as an associate...what do they end up doing? ...
desiguy
49 years 9 months ago
I-banking selectivityFor those in the know, how do top-level ibanks select their interview applicants? Specifically, who chooses from the pile of resumes to interview and what is the process of choosing these candidates. Do they first chop the pile down by GPA, or are their other factors at play? Any info is appreciated...
99 years 9 months ago
1st yr banking or go for M.B.A.I was just wondering, since most of the 1st year anaylst hate their job, is it better to do something else right out of college that isn't so "painful," and then go for an MBA at a good school and start out higher then someone coming from undergraduate? What do you gain from doing banking after und...
chi-town
49 years 9 months ago
NYCHey all, I am about to start a grad program at a bank in London, and have an 8 week training program in New York. Does anyone here have any experience of New York, ie. best places to eat, go out etc. Any insight would be appreciated! ...
easybal
29 years 9 months ago
Deutsche Bank in LondonDoes anyone have any insight into the culture/ atmosphere in DB London at the moment? I remember hearing a while back that it wasn't all that great but I've not heard anything for a while. ...
livingthedream
09 years 9 months ago
Does it matter what type of BA before your MBA?Most MBA programs dont state that its manditory you have a Business BA right? Or does it matter? I ask because I was thinking of getting my BA in Psyhology and then head off to school to get my MBA. - Charles ...
sircharles
69 years 9 months ago
Investment Banking vs Accounting?Hi Im about to start a 4 year Bachelor of COmmerce Degree at the University of lberta and I wanna know which is better money-wise, Accounting or Investment Banking? WHo makes the most money and how do I get into investment banking if it is the better one? Also how much money are we talkin here? I...
79 years 9 months ago
Football?I am going to be a freshman at harvard next year and I am going to be playing varsity football. If the time commitment hurts my GPA and other EC would it also hurt my chances of getting into a good firm? ...
Dj
19 years 9 months ago
What's with this whole 3 years thing?I hear people saying they will only work 3 years and then move on. Why? Is this so profitable that only 3 years is necessary to retire comfortably? ...
49 years 9 months ago
Internship - How was the experience? Has anyone here ever done an internship at an IB while in college? How was the experience? Did it help you get a job? ...
jct181
59 years 9 months ago
rudiey
89 years 9 months ago
The whole getting wasted thing.So, what happens to Muslim (or devout Jewish) bankers? Do they even exist? Same applies for marriage. If someone is married at 27 or 28, are they ostracized? Just curious. ...
nabhan
39 years 9 months ago
CPA and/or CFA and/or MBA?Hey guys - I'm in public accounting and thinking about transferring to a position in our firm that deals more closely with investment banking. This particular position encourages you to get the CFA. My question is this: should I get my CPA (after all, I have the necessary hours) AND a CFA? My ul...
lapsling
29 years 9 months ago
How many years of school does it take to become an Ibanker?I am intrested in going into this field, but wanted to know how many years of school it will take and afterwards, how long will it take to get an MBA? Thanks. ...
Fusionice662
109 years 9 months ago
Double MajorI plan on receiving a BBA from Emory, however I also want to double major. I've read a few posts about people considering finance with say math or economics, but what about biology? Regarding IBanking, would there be any advantage in having a joint major in something as atypical as finance and biolo...
GregWeinstein
09 years 9 months ago
CollegeI'm a high school senior going off to college in the fall. The college isn't the best for business but its not that bad (SUNY Binghamton - state school). What should I do to improve my chances of landing an ibanking job regarding internships/work experience, clubs, anything else (it can be college-r...
AgreeWitMe
79 years 9 months ago
How many hours do analysts/associates work a day?I hear they have pretty long hours, but how long exactly? Also, how stressful is the job? ...
Fusionice662
29 years 9 months ago
gpai have a 3.78 heading into junior year, on my resume do you think i should put 3.8 or put 3.78? ...
johnsons
69 years 9 months ago
Consulting to IbankHow difficult would it be to move from consulting to ibanking, with a degree in econ from a non-target school and little actual finance experience? Next to impossible? ...
59 years 9 months ago
Putting CC and GPA on resumeI am transfer student -Community College to ivy- and i was wondering if i should put cc on my resume for summer analyst '07. Also, during my time at cc i had a 3.8. Being away from home for the first time and joining a fraternity took a toll on my gpa last semester, i had a 2.6. Can i average the tw...
Dan Bush
49 years 9 months ago
Possible summer internship, questionsBanking/I-Banking really interests me (as does the money), but I honestly dont see myself doing the whole New York City thing, as my daughter lives here in Florida with me. For the last few weeks Ive been trying to find other career paths that might satisfy me and came across Merrill Lynch. As of no...
sircharles
69 years 9 months ago
Header Hunters for Public U.I assume that BB recruiters like to get people from the big east coast schools but which big public universities do they normally recruit from for undergrads? ...
Ratgoo
59 years 9 months ago
Product groups vs Industry GroupsDoes anyone know if there's a difference between the compensation for people who work in product groups vs industry/coverage groups? And if so, about how much? ...
steady state
49 years 9 months ago
Vision problems and I-banking?Has anyone ever obtained vision problems from using the comp so excessively on the job? Any glare protection shields and etc used...? ...
CollegeStudent1987
59 years 9 months ago
Tools of the TradeHas anyone noticed how the actual responsibilities of an Analyst doesn't align to what the title "Analyst" suggests? In reality, tasks that we as Analysts engage in has more to do with finding information in filings, articles, websites, google, and other sources rather than making sense of it thro...
slg02
09 years 10 months ago
Business School: Now, or later?Hello. I'm a 23 year old junior at Penn State. I have a 4.0 so far and I am majoring in Finance. I am trying to decide upon the best course of action for me following graduation; whether it would be applying to business school, or working as an analyst first. My grades are strong but I lack "qua...
jct181
79 years 10 months ago
US task force targets hedge fund fraudArticle on US task force targets hedge fund fraud. Fraud in the US$1.2 trillion (US$1 = RM3.66) hedge-fund industry in the US poses an "emerging threat"' to investors, the head of the Bush administration's task force on corporate crime says in an interview in Washington. Read on. ...
BananaMan
09 years 10 months ago
resumesfor a resume I'm submitting to get a summer internship (between my freshman and sophmore years) at a company like MS, Goldman, Lehman, etc. what aspects should I emphasize the most? also, if I'm learning skills like trading forex markets, etc. is it worthwhile to list them? as well, if I were to app...
desigadar
09 years 10 months ago
Cheap softHi! New soft for a cheap price at our online store!Abbyy Lingvo 11_9 Languages (2 cds) Thanks! ...
09 years 10 months ago
Lucites - Any thoughts? So, when I summered at a top bank (think GS/MS) I got a lucite for a deal I worked on. I ended up accepting a full time offer from a less prestigious BB (think UBS,CSFB,DB). My question is, would it seem pretencious to display my lucite on my desk once I start as a first yr analyst (or like I am try...
analyst21
149 years 10 months ago
Bonus Season - Its that season Its that season boys, and our firm like all the others wants to know what everyone is expecting this year (we operate on June year ends for analysts). To any of you who have an idea of what to expect please let me know, especially anyone working for a Canadian firm. From what I've heard our firm (T...
IBD
199 years 10 months ago
2 year analyst no longer enough?Is 2 years work experience as an Ibanking analyst still enough to get into top mba programs? Someone posted a link a while ago with wharton MBAs and their resumes and it looked like Everyone had 4-5 years of experience. ...
ssb101
19 years 10 months ago
Corporate Finance/Commercial Lawyer wants to changfeI have 4 years experience is Coprorate Law specifically financial services with a top tier firm. I have moved to London and would like to move to IB to be work on the deal rather than facilitate them. I also have a BCommerce (management). Can anyone suggest some ways to get into the IB industry. ...
domdomdom1
19 years 10 months ago
Engineering to IBankingIs it likely for an engineering undergrad to be hired by a BB as an analyst? ...
19 years 10 months ago
Candid PE Advice / Help NeededI work for a bulge-bracket investment bank doing real estate acquisitions. I believe I have a lot of transferrable skills (DCF, Modeling, IRR/NPV analysis, etc.), but I don't feel like I can compare myself to someone in our M&A group. I am two years out of undergrad, I just made associate this...
TopREanalyst
69 years 10 months ago
I-banking interviewI will be a senior at a small private university in the midwest this fall. My school has a good academic reputation in our state, and is known relatively well by people in the midwest (attracts many students from St. Louis and Chicago) but is by no means a target school. I am a finance major with a...
19 years 10 months ago
Firms in the Baltimore/DC AreaFirst, let me introduce myself. My name is Nick, I am a 21 year old undergrad at a non-target school (Unviersity of Baltimore). Really not sure if I want to get into IB. Check that, not sure I have a competitve profile for IB. Just wanted to say nice site, especially for someone like myself who ...
NickFromBaltimore
99 years 10 months ago
Bonus - Bonuses decided on the street? How are bonuses decided on the street? Collusion? ...
rahulmuk
29 years 10 months ago
Outsourcing effect on I-Banking?I've been reading some articles regarding this topic. These are the main points I came up with: "Investment Banks Outsourcing to India" A number of big names have quietly hired Indian firms or set up their own subsidiaries on the subcontinent to handle basic financial modeling and comparable analysi...
getcrunk123
19 years 10 months ago
Investment Banking or Private Equity??If you had the choice between a stron investment bank or a leading private equity fund, which one would you go for and why? (regardless pay=it's the same) ...
BanKing
59 years 10 months ago
Taxes and deductions from your annual salaryHello all, Hope everyone has started off on a good note for the summer. I am a student at Stern-NYU and have just completed my junior year. I will be doing an internship with Rothschild in London over the summer (since as an international student there were some impending visa issues that prevented ...
dc1368
119 years 10 months ago
Benefits - How the benefit packages vary? Does anyone know how the benefit packages vary across the industry? Are they all similar? Do a few banks stand out? What type of 401k matching program should I expect? ...
wbanker
19 years 10 months ago
Travel - How often do you get to travel? Let's take a poll....how often do you get to travel within your job and how many US based analysts have gotten to travel overseas? ...
cf317123
29 years 10 months ago
Personal HealthIs it at all possible to find the time to work out and stay somewhat in shape while doing banking? ...
Patrick Bateman
19 years 10 months ago
Banking v. DCM/ECM bonuses?Anybody have ideas on the differences? ...
39 years 10 months ago
Consulting vs. Banking - Well rounded experience How many of you wish you had done consulting? Seems like a more well rounded experience that would can be applied to more fields. And you don't have to stare at a computer all day. ...
cf317123
29 years 10 months ago
blackberriesevery analyst i've ever met has a blackberry on their belt. do companies usually provide these or are you expected to have your own? ...
dedtomato
39 years 10 months ago
Chances at BB?I recently transferred to UVA where I am majoring in Economics. At my previous school (community college), I pulled a 3.76 completing 63 credits in one year. However, after transferring, for various personal reasons i did not do as well. I ended up with a 2.89 this past spring semester. However, ...
cs11
119 years 10 months ago
MBAsI'm currently working in North America on a transfer from our London office. Over there, I got a direct promote to Associate (M&A) after 2.5 yrs of pain. Life as an Associate is much better - average around 50-60 hours a week...and the occasional weekend appearance. Anyway, I digress...what ...
livingthedream
29 years 10 months ago
how to use connectionsI have a question. I go to Princeton, and I see there is lots of room for networking. I can pull the grades, but can anyone give me advice on selling myself? I have a relative who works at Lehman Brothers in NY. Any suggestions on approaching him (I haven't met him, but I know pretty much his whole ...
pro.gatsby
59 years 10 months ago
saving for educationanybody have any ideas on how to save money for graduate school? i'm planning on being an analyst for 2-3 years and want a way to park my bonuses (and maybe grow it a bit) so I don't have to take on as much of a loan. any tax-efficient ideas? ...
dedtomato
59 years 10 months ago
Switching groups - Any analysts who have experience? I was wondering if there were any analysts who have any experience in switching groups. In sort of a freak event, I got placed with a group I'm not very interested in and doesn't really fit well with my career goals. I've tried talking to HR and others to see if anything could be done, but it look...
09 years 10 months ago
Saving MoneyHi all, I am about to start as a first year analyst, and would like to not blow too much of any hard earned money. Does anyone -- especially those who are currently or have recently been junior bankers -- have a savings strategy that has worked well? Specifically for someone that may want to fund ...
Nusi
39 years 10 months ago
Public Finance - Hours and lifestyle? anybody know anything about hours/lifestyle in public finance groups? pro's and con's of choosing a public finance group? ...
19 years 10 months ago
International Internships? - Internship abroad I would like to be a summer analyst in a major European city like London, Paris, or Geneva. How would I go about getting an internship abroad with an I-banking firm, possibly Goldman Sachs, UBS, Citigroup, BNP Paribas, ABN Ambro, etc.? My college doesn't offer them either... ...
peppibanking
09 years 10 months ago
After iBankingI keep reading about all the hours and the burn out rate in I-Banking. 1. Is there a high turnover of people? 2. What type of jobs or industries do people enter after I-Banking? ...
skotwani
29 years 10 months ago
Film FinanceAnyone here know about financing film? ...
johnreefer
19 years 10 months ago
Location, Location, Location...2-Part Question. New York vs Chicago vs Los Angeles vs London vs Other 1.) This question is probably a no brainer, but IYO, which is best for IB? 2.) Personally, which location would you prefer? ...
NickFromBaltimore
109 years 10 months ago
Height Disadvantage?Will I be at a disadvantage being shorter than 5'8"? Will employers not hire me? Do you know short i-bankers at top firms/ or at PEs/HFs/VCs? ~Jacob~ ...
MikiLzrd
129 years 10 months ago
Internships for a Wharton undergradI have a friend who is going to be a sophmore at Wharton next year. He's looking to get ahead of the curve and get an internship in the city for his summer between sophmore and junior year. I'm currently between my sophmore and junior year and was able to get a good internship due to family connec...
solfnod
59 years 10 months ago
Do associate get more decent working hours?After two years of hard working as an analyst, followed by an MBA, can I expect more decent working hours (getting week ends off, at least some of them)? And are the wroking hours more decent in the Bay area vs. NYC?? ...
BanKing
19 years 11 months ago
Introducing myself - 25 year old former engineer I'm a 25 year old former engineer, and I've recently become very interested in i-banking. I stumbled on this site tonight, and I've amused myself for the past 20 minutes or so. Can someone get into this field without a business degree, or is that required? ...
Drew
79 years 11 months ago
Enron aside, SPV's are legalWith this spring's criminal trial of former Enron executives Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling, the masses were again seeing accounts of Raptors, Chewco and Osprey -- some of the shadowy "special purpose vehicles" the energy company used for improper purposes such as concealing its mushrooming debt. But ...
chiragi_k
09 years 11 months ago
SF/Silicon Valley Industry GroupsWhat banks have significant presence in industries other than technology in the Bay Area? I know Goldman has Consumer and HC group. ...
idotheeraquel
29 years 11 months ago

Pages

WallStreet Prep Master Financial Modeling