TopicRepliesLast replysort ascending
Hot topic
Too OldHey this is just me venting. Here's my story. I am 24. I spent the first two years out of college (ending this June) at a research institution before deciding that that particular field wasn't my passion. So I started applying for jobs. And researching what I wanted to do with my life. And decided t...
Normal topic
Insider trading investigation? http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/massive-insider-trading-investigation-could-nail-wall-street%27s-biggest-names-535640.html?tickers=C,GS,XLF,FAZ,JPM,BAC,MS What do fellow monkey's think about this? Better Research v Insider Trading? ...
Normal topic
Knocking on DoorsI'll be knocking on doors at MM prop shops in Chicago tomorrow, Wednesday, and maybe Friday (I'll have to review my holiday schedule). If anyone is interested in talking to me let me know. Thanks. Monkeysama. ...
Normal topic
Buy side tradingI am a senior looking to get into trading. Unfortunately I do not have an offer on the sell-side, but know a few people on the buy side that have offered to help out. How does trading for a large buy-side firm like Fidelity compare to trading for a bank? Sell side trading seems a lot more interest...
Normal topic
Normal topic
Due Diligence or Insider Trading?So with the recent stories about FBI investigations of hedge funds, I figured I'd post this and ask my fellow monkeys their opinion. A lot of people are talking about these "expert networks" that hedge funds will pay to have contacts with middle management types and ask questions about their busines...
Hot topic
2 years out of UGPeople keep telling me to go to grad school. Or that I'm too old. I'm 24 for god's sake. I want to be a trader. I want to make money and I know I'd be damn good at it too. That is all. Just needed to bitch ...
Normal topic
How to be an awesome BB trader?What do successful flow traders at BB's do to become known and respected? There seems to be such a variety of skills needed with some emphasizing mostly soft skills others some more quantitative or other knowledge. So what skill or mix of skills help one become a superstar in the field? Read all the...
Normal topic
How to break into trading from Technology in BanksHey, everybody, I am a newbee to this forum. I just got an offer from a bulge bracket bank, which is a technology program for global markets. I suppose I need to work on designing and implementing trading platform for the trader. The thing is that I really want to move to the trading desk instead of...
Normal topic
Crap Mathematics - what next? Right, so I've done barely any Mathematics since High school and even then it was pretty basic. Where should one interested in doing trading go from here? ...
Normal topic
What traders think of brokersA pretty fair look at their contribution:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Ly7Zdi3Ts ...
Normal topic
Capital Markets to S&TI've attempted to PM a few of the users who seem to have experience in Capital Markets, but have not received a response and figured I could just bring it to the whole group. How feasible is it to move from Capital Markets to S&T, specifically sales? I will be starting in ECM next summer, but s...
Normal topic
Why do you want to become a trader? "I will put my balls on the line and show the market who's daddy" ...
Normal topic
Top prop firm vs. bankI am trying to choose between an offer at a top prop firm (think jane street, getco, or drw) and a high-frequency offer at a top bank. What would you guys choose, and why? Also can someone give estimates of compensation at the bank a few years out? I've already gotten some estimates for the prop ...
Normal topic
Best time to Cold CallI'm going to start cold calling some S&T prop shops. If I were to walk up to their building and knock on the door, when would the best time be to do this? ...
Normal topic
Differences between ECM and S&TI apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have searched and researched this topic before. Whenever I talk to an investment banking MD who comes to speak, all I ever hear is talk of M&A and deals. I never hear about IPO's and following the market in IB job descriptions. But then I go to ...
Normal topic
Belvedere / Similar PropI have a second round there (for trainee) this week... I'm assuming this is the final round, based on interview format, what sort of questions do they ask? What are the "Trading Games"? Is it straight probability or questions about fit etc as well? 6 hours seems intense ...
Hot topic
Energy Rodeo All Star Line UpOk ladies and gents, the Energy Rodeo is fast coming up and, if the motivation to learn from industry professionals and insiders isn't enough to make you want to come down to Houston, maybe this will be. In addition to all the great things the Rodeo provides, some of your favorite WSO posters and co...
Normal topic
DCFs/Financial Modeling in Trading or Long/Short and Deep Value Hedge Funds?Hi, I was wondering if trading and long/short hedge funds involve a lot of financial modeling through DCFs, comps, etc. or if that's purely investment banking stuff? I've been reading more about DCFs recently, and I think the reason that they intrigue me is because doing them allows you to learn a s...
Normal topic
Non Target Resume adviceUnfortunately no ft recruiting offers probably due to non target? Or is it something else? Looking for trading, ER or IM/AMhttp://www.razume.com/ ...
0 n/a
Normal topic
Offer decisionCurrently have two offers, and would greatly appreciate any help or insight: One is for S&T analyst at a middle market bank not in NYC. Desk selections happen later, so I could get S or T (most likely sales from what I understand) and I could end up on any desk. Other is with the Asset Backed S...
Normal topic
BB quant trading vs buy side AM(exit ops?)I got offer from both a BB for quant trading and a buy side AM(think vanguard, t rowe, blackrock) for investment analyst. I was wondering which have better exit opps. Especially given that i'm interested in becoming a portfolio manager one day. Thanks ...
Hot topic
You know you're in trouble in a trade when... You know you're in trouble with a trade when you start listening to Lenny Kravitz's 'Are you gonna go my way' in an attempt to will it in your favor. Add your personal favorites/experiences. and not you 50 share trading ameritrade kids at home. ...
Normal topic
U.S. in Vast Insider Trading Probe"Today two fresh faced eager beavers from the FBI showed up unannounced (obviously) on my doorstep thoroughly convinced that my clients have been trading on copious inside information," the email said. "(They obviously have been recording my cell phone conversations for quite some time, with what mo...
0 n/a
Hot topic
Visiting trading floorI got invited to visit a desk and the trading floor at a BB. What would be some good questions to ask? What should i wear... i know many places chew new recruits out for wearing suits, should i not wear one then? What would you guys expect from someone visiting your desk to get to know your product ...

Pages