Silver BananaTopicAuthorRepliesFreshnesssort ascending
S&T Program Interview AssistanceThere are a handful of questions that are commonly asked during ibanking interviews; most of us know them and have the appropriate yet truthful responses. The answers to these questions differ depending on which section of ibanking you are looking to join and since I'm posting in the traders section...
Cal
19 years 7 months ago
Interview Help - Been actively trading I have been actively trading the FX market through a retail broker for about 2 yrs now with good results. Is it beneficial to mention these results in an interview or on a resume? And if so, how much clout would you say interviewers ascribe to these kind of achievements? ...
karma729
29 years 7 months ago
2006 Stub BonusesWho has heard word yet on stub bonuses for new assocites (finished b-school May of 06). I've heard 45k from GS, MS, and Lehman..... ...
skins1
59 years 7 months ago
Institutional Equities Sales InterviewHi, I have an interview next week for a sales position at the Institutional Equities desk at RBC in Toronto. Does anyone have any experience with these interviews? Any suggestions on how to prepare and what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...
fjm222
39 years 7 months ago
Internships in trading?Earlier this year I sent my resume out to some contacts in the banking world. After a lot of thought and research I realize that investment banking simply is not for me. In just about everyway I can imagine (personality, relative strengths and weaknesses, interests, etc.) I feel that trading would...
ydarb
19 years 7 months ago
a few newb questionsive been very interested in finance, trading, economics ect. for quite some time. I know a decent amount, but have a few questions. when you all refer to private equity, prop shops ect, what exactly is the definition of that. would it be a hedge fund of sorts? please explain. also, when i go off to ...
skynyrd4212
29 years 7 months ago
What should I doI have always wanted to be a salesperson. I interned at Lehman in the finance support group for their Equity sales force. I now works as an IB analyst for a MM canadian bank. I have 1 year of IB experience. I really want to know how I can jump ship to a sales position. would my IB expereince be any ...
emma915
19 years 7 months ago
52 week % vs YTD %quick and probably dumb question but what's the difference between the 52 week % change in a stock price vs the YTD % change, isn't 52 weeks a year? so why isn't it the same? ...
dpiderit
39 years 7 months ago
good booksany good EDUCATIONAL books related to S&T, not so much about cool anecdotes and stories but something that will teach me stuff I can use in S&T? thanks ...
dpiderit
29 years 7 months ago
How to get into GS FICC Trading?Anybody from GS FICC? Any tips on coursework, extracurricular activities and preparation for interviews? ...
Ken0122
69 years 7 months ago
Computer Science advantageous for S&T?I'm a finance major but have space for a minor or a double major in another business field. I like computer programming so I was thinking a CS minor would be good for S&T, do you agree? ...
dpiderit
79 years 7 months ago
SUSQ versus CITIBetween Citigroup and Susquehanna, I was just wondering which company would be the best to work at for an entry level trading position? On one hand I can imagine there's more mobility around a giant financial services conglom like CITI, but I've heard much praise about Susquehanna's maths and statis...
tizdo
19 years 7 months ago
Importance of FirmOne of the reasons I chose trading is because it seemed to be more of a meritocracy than any other kind of job. If you're good, you're good; it doesn't matter that you don't work at a BB or a Tier 1. It seems like a majority of the bankers are extremely concerned with the firm/group in which they w...
jtmarlin
19 years 7 months ago
MBAs in S+T?Are there many MBAs working in S+T? I guess it's not an obvious choice for MBAs (compared to Banking), but do many people do this after a career change via an MBA? Cheers, Rody ...
Rody
49 years 8 months ago
typical career path for a traderif i am going to be S&T at an equities desk next year, what is the typical career path? for the sake of the argument lets assume that i am not phenomenal and have avg. abilities. what will I be doing until I transition into a trading assistant? how long does it usually take before they let you t...
higher_energy
79 years 8 months ago
Trading assistant salaryHi, I've recently applied for a TA position (I am almost done with my undergraduate degree) and would like to know what kind of salary to expect. This position is in Canada so it probably will be lower than in the US, but I would like to get as much info as possible. Thanks for your help! ...
BionikBlue
29 years 8 months ago
How much math is involved?I've been browsing through the Traders Train forum and it seems like everyone agrees that you need a solid background in maths to work in fixed income trading. I was wondering how much math is involved and what kind of math level you need to have in order to land a job in FI trading (assuming you ha...
BionikBlue
19 years 8 months ago
What is most exciting about it?What is it of Sales and Trading that excites you the most? (not the money please) Why did you decide to go into S&T over other branches of IB and over other type of carreers? I'm interviewing for a S&T internship soon and I want to get some answers to these questions to see if I can relate t...
dpiderit
59 years 8 months ago
Derivative Marketer ?hi Jimbo - could you pls explain it here cheers, Gordon ...
Gordon_Gekko
89 years 8 months ago
Fixed Income vs. Currencies vs. Commodities at GS FICCWhich division generates the highest revenue among the three? ...
Ken0122
19 years 8 months ago
Do many move from IB to trading?Do many move from IB to trading? ...
suckermc
119 years 8 months ago
Prop trading vs Flow/Market MakingI assume most traders at banks are engaged in flow trading rather than prop trading (although I guess all traders must have some proprietary component to their work). Do most flow traders aspire to become prop traders? Or do people stick to flow trading their entire career? Are exit opportunities fo...
Rody
19 years 8 months ago
Fixed-Income Trader or Structurer?Alright, I just got an offer from RBS in its fixed income department. Given my quantitative background, I was given the option of doing either trading of structuring. I would like to know what people think about it and what the exit opportunities are for each. Salary wise? Thanks in advance. ...
Shadymonkey
39 years 9 months ago
Putting up your own capitalTo enter a trading firm. I know some of them aren't legit, but if you know the guys running it, can it be a good idea? I am straight out of college, I was really looking for a salary position, but unfortunately this might be all I can find. Is it worth it? ...
tuneman
79 years 9 months ago
Using Crystal Ball for Monte CarloAnyone ever use the Crystal Ball program for pricing path-dependent options? Having trouble with an assignment due tomorrow, and if anyone is familiar with it, I'd like to pick your brain. Thanks. ...
randomwalk
69 years 9 months ago
Undergrad DegreeI know everyone must be sick of the undergrad degree talk....but what degree is best suited to break into trading. I'm getting an accounting degree and could get a finance degree as well but I would have to stay an extra semester in school. Should i just drop accoutning and focus on finance if tradi...
newhorizons
239 years 9 months ago
Some things you can brush up to help for S&TFirst, read Liar's poker. Second, especially if you have interest in derivatives, learn about the main pricing models, and the various risks associated with derivatives. Read the Hull book. Third, if you can't back it up, don't put it on your resume. ...
Jimbo
69 years 9 months ago
Equity Derivatives - How does pay compare? Everybody on this board keeps on saying FI is where to be and to stay away from Equities. Does this apply to Equity Derivatives? Is Equity Derivatives a good place to be? How does the pay compare to FI? ...
jtmarlin
69 years 9 months ago
Which would be more advantageousI know it depends on many circumstances, but what would you think would be better for someone looking into trading: Getting a job as a trader/trader assistant with a new hedge fund that is starting up, or working for one of the big banks going for an analyst position. I am leaning towards the hedge...
tuneman
179 years 9 months ago
Any UM grads here?Hey! I'm new to the forum. I'm a sophomore at the University of Miami. Trying really hard to intern at a bb in S&T. Anybody from Miami also? ...
dpiderit
29 years 9 months ago
Which Undergraduate Education option?In your opinion, which do you think is better for attaining a Sales & Trading job in London and New York respectively? (Please explain your answer) London School of Economics for a BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics or Columbia University for a BS Operations Research: Financial Engineer...
deadjackal
39 years 9 months ago
Capital Markets vs. Sales and TradingWhat is the difference between these two groups? Specifically, how are the jobs different, the hours, etc. Is syndicated finance usually part of S&T or cap markets? ...
alina987
39 years 9 months ago
Structured Credit vs. Prop TradingI need to make a decision between two offers. Both offers are at BB banks; one is in structured credit focusing on synthetic CDOs; the other is under proprietary trading focusing primarily on the commodities sector. The names for the banks are about equal so no difference in terms of name recognit...
mz2k06
49 years 9 months ago
Wachovia S&T First RoundFrom a blind resume submission on their resume, I secured a first round telephone interview. Who knew that those resumes were actually reviewed! What will I be asked? What's the culture like? Where will I be based (Charlotte or NYC)? What do they excel at? Or where could I find the answers to these...
desecrato
89 years 9 months ago
derivatives deskhow much of a math background is necessary for derivatives structuring? how difficult is it to get a position at a derivatives desk? ...
jerseyboy11
59 years 9 months ago
Credit TradingSpecifically structured products. Anyone know more about payscale, exit opps, entry requirements, interview tips, etc? ...
corgi95
19 years 9 months ago
Sales and Trading ExitsWhat are the exits after a few year stint in S&T? I know options are not as good as M&A , but what is available? And are all big S&T desks in NYC? I am looking to do S&T out of b-school, but in the Bay Area/LA... ...
asht00
99 years 10 months ago
The Hottest DeskWhich trading desk/product is the hottest -the most stressful, choatic, and high bonus market around. ...
219 years 10 months ago
Microtrading at GS?Does anyone know the function of the microtrading desk at GS? I have a third round interview with them, but I've yet to find someone who knows what instruments they deal in. Thanks. ...
y7
09 years 10 months ago
Banking to TradingHas anyone here successfully made the transition from banking to trading? If so how did you go about it as a lateral hire? ...
analyst26
09 years 10 months ago
Buy SideI'm a 25 year old buy side execution trader for a global bank. does anyone have any experience/suggestions as to where people in my position have gone to from my current position? It seems like the job I'm in now would be a great job to have when I'm 45 and have nothing to prove and just want to c...
Tiki
09 years 10 months ago
Questions for SA '07 S&TI will be interviewing for a S&T Summer Analyst position in a few weeks and I was wondering what to expect. How many interviews? How long for each interview? I would like to get into credit derivatives, should I indicate that during the interview? ...
How to save a life
109 years 10 months ago
BEAR STEARNS FASTClearly Bear is a great fixed income shop. Is going through Bear fast a good option? What kinda stuff do you do, how much do you get paid, how long to move onto the trading desk? ...
gekko44
19 years 10 months ago
Equity DesksAre equities truly dead? I feel as though Fixed Income's popularity is merely cyclical right now. For an individual exploring s&t offers at the BB's and other trading firms, would it be best to go into Fixed Income or into Equities? Discuss... ...
Ivybred800
29 years 11 months ago
Prop desk - Best ways to get into such a position I really want to work in a bank and on a prop desk. How can i go about this, what are my best ways to get into such a position. Do prop desks take on Junior/trainee traders ...
jk125
19 years 11 months ago
From banking to trading - 3 years of banking Does 3 years of banking experience help at all if I were to try to enter trading or a hedge fund? How much do the skill sets require overlap? ...
Pinto
310 years 1 week ago
Are we seeing a vol regime change?VIX index has spiked and dropped. Where is it gonna settle? ...
zhang18
410 years 2 weeks ago

Pages

WallStreet Prep Master Financial Modeling