Retirement account into cash?

I've been seriously thinking about moving my retirement account into cash as of late. I know the golden rule is to not try and time the market, but I can't not think a big correction/pull back is looming. Am I crazy? Appreciate input from all you fiance monkeys who are way smarter than me.

I've never moved it all to cash, but I've kept portions of retirement and nearly all savings in cash at times. There's nothing particularly scientific to it, mostly just my general sentiment.

My results is that I've missed out on gains and I'm going to deploy some more $ back into the market at some point soon.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

how badly do you need the money? Do you plan on using it soon? If not and its a rainy day fund for a house, car,etc in the next 10-15 years, just throw it in a fund that tracks the market. You'll be fine

you are about a month too late...now is the time to be buying dips. the current market selloff almost exactly matches the fall of 2015 (2015 was caused by chinese stocks going down). the market will recover...we probably don;t have much farther to go down before we bottom. 2300 on the S&P 500 would be a gift...if we get there (we prob won't)...buy with both bands

just google it...you're welcome

doddfranky:
Why not 10 year T bonds?

He might as well keep it in a savings account. Treasuries had a record rally. For retirement he needs something that yields more than 2.20%.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

I'm dumb. I was thinking t-bills and that there is no reinvestment risk if held to maturity (even though...how much worse can it get to worry about reinvestment risk when rates are already low).

That whole think before I speak shit isn't working out for me lately.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

Why does your dad need to invest? For some people being able to live life without fear of bankruptcy is greater than the chance of striking it rich. Your dad has most likely planned out exactly what he will do with the amount of money he will have saved by retirement.

He just wants to retire; what difference does it make if he invests and manages to afford that second house in Florida?

jktecon:
Why does your dad need to invest? For some people being able to live life without fear of bankruptcy is greater than the chance of striking it rich. Your dad has most likely planned out exactly what he will do with the amount of money he will have saved by retirement.

He just wants to retire; what difference does it make if he invests and manages to afford that second house in Florida?

True. Worried about inflation though.

I'm not an investment adviser, but being 100% in cash is just not a great move. For retirement, I would not recommend moving money into bonds right now. Long term, interests rates will go down (the bond market should peak sometime in the next five years). Your dad should concentrate on building a portfolio of strong stocks, with good balance sheets, that pay dividends. When boomers begin to retire, they will no longer buy bonds, since they will be using interest from bonds as their source of income. It takes a lot of buying to bring a market up, but it takes a lack of it to bring it down. Demand for bonds will decrease over time, making them an unattractive long-term investment.

Don't let him put his money in gold either. Gold is currently in rally mode, and this too will top out in the next few years. Central banks are starting to move foreign reserves onto their balance sheets, but its really an unattractive investment since it doesn't pay any income and its value is based solely on the perception of future prices by speculators.

Stocks are a great long-term investment, and your father should really consider buying good stocks, with strong balance sheets, especially on dips lower in the upcoming years. Look at companies like JNJ or XOM. These companies are AAA rated for their debt, they pay dividends, and they actually have growth potential over the coming years. Again, the demographics of the baby boom provide the outlook for this. As boomers grow older, they will live off income from bonds/dividends/pensions. They will not really look to be buying financial securities, except to maybe purchase bonds when their previous bonds reach maturity. Instead, they most likely will be spending a considerable amount of their wealth on everything from healthcare to travel, and this of course needs energy. While I am massively suspicious of equities in the short-term, I think after we move past the current mess, we will see a very strong, sustained, equity rally built off long-term growth prospects. Your father should invest in these securities to take advantage of both the value and growth they offer over the next 30 years.

looking for that pick-me-up to power through an all-nighter?

Alias ea consequatur soluta aut repellat quibusdam itaque eos. Voluptatem consectetur vel labore voluptas ducimus et dolor dolor. Ut aut magnam quam et. Perspiciatis optio excepturi ea veniam. Sapiente ut repellendus et. Eligendi quo quidem expedita fugiat quo ratione.

Cum minus magni doloribus. Ut voluptatibus voluptatem vel vel ipsa sit quia. Et nihil rem quo fugiat. Omnis tenetur quos consequatur voluptate distinctio quo.

Consequatur nam maxime doloremque ut deleniti. Quidem maiores ea ut exercitationem.

Dolores vel autem officia dicta. Sint adipisci sint facilis consequatur. Iusto quis qui ipsa exercitationem quo laudantium.

Asperiores accusamus consequuntur et rerum aut. Aut minus deserunt eaque modi repellat sit. Doloremque est accusantium nihil corrupti quis et voluptatem. Vero qui dicta laborum quo fuga aperiam tempora.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”