$10,000 business

I have about $10,000 sitting around in a money market. Are there any ways you can start an on-line or franchise retail business with $10,000? Any ideas? I thought it would be cool to start my own start-up.

jjcannon:
Franchise retail business... depends, are there lemonade stand franchises?

+1 hahaha

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

I wouldn't start a business with $10,000, it's not enough capital to purchase the resources required to start a successful business 99% of the time. If you're a high risk/high reward type of investor, you're better off trading stocks with an excessive amount of leverage.

Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions. -Niccolo Machiavelli

I realize I sound like a god damn broken record, but I cannot recommend Tim Ferriss's "The 4 Hour Work Week" enough if you're looking to start a business on the side, with limited capital, with the potential to support you full time. It's the best roadmap I've found to cutting the cord and becoming a self-made man.

http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Expanded-Updated-Cutting-Edge/dp/…

- Capt K - "Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham

[quote=CaptK]I realize I sound like a god damn broken record, but I cannot recommend Tim Ferriss's "The 4 Hour Work Week" enough if you're looking to start a business on the side, with limited capital, with the potential to support you full time. It's the best roadmap I've found to cutting the cord and becoming a self-made man.

http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Expanded-Updated-Cutting-Edge/dp/…] I read this book, and I am working on my muse as I speak... this thing changed my life

btw I got this book off a rec from you on this site, so I'd toss you a SB if I had one

noway][quote=CaptK]I realize I sound like a god damn broken record, but I cannot recommend Tim Ferriss's The 4 Hour Work Week enough if you're looking to start a business on the side, with limited capital, with the potential to support you full time. It's the best roadmap I've found to cutting the cord and becoming a self-made man.</p> <p><a href=http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Expanded-Updated-Cutting-Edge/dp/0307465357/ref=dp_ob_title_bk[/quote rel=nofollow>http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Expanded-Updated-Cutting-Edge/dp/…</a>:
I read this book, and I am working on my muse as I speak... this thing changed my life

btw I got this book off a rec from you on this site, so I'd toss you a SB if I had one

Congrats man, glad you enjoyed it. I've got a couple going myself, so report back and let us know how you're doing.
- Capt K - "Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham

if you're starting with 10,000 I'm going to say your best option would be to start some sort of web-based business... you can easily get a solid website up for that.

A storefront / franchise retail business is going to require a lot more capital... from what I've heard 300k + solid sized bank loan for fast food restaurant that's not in the city.

unpaidintern:
yeah sorry guys. ii didnt mean a franchise as in store front.

what about vending machines? massage chairs?

I don't know anything about how to get in the business, but I talked to a guy a few years ago who owned some of those massage chairs in a mall and he said it made a shit ton of cash. Granted it is not likely life changing money, but it's better than nothing and your money will be working for you. Maybe you could look into some sort of drop shipping program or something. Again, I know nothing about how to do it, but it's something I've heard about in the past.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

abacab:
Starting up a tshirt printing business is relatively low cost and has a very low barrier of entry.
Please read this article. If you're thinking of starting a business of any kind, please read this article.

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/8-stupid-frat-boy-business-id…

CaptK][quote=abacab:
Starting up a tshirt printing business is relatively low cost and has a very low barrier of entry.
Please read this article. If you're thinking of starting a business of any kind, please read this article.

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/8-stupid-frat-boy-business-id…] lol funny stuff but I'm going to have to disagree with a good number of that stuff...

noway][quote=CaptK][quote=abacab:

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/8-stupid-frat-boy-business-id…] lol funny stuff but I'm going to have to disagree with a good number of that stuff...[/quote]

yeah i would disagree about advertising fees. I know too many companies that make bank from advertising fees. there this one company called Google that does something similar.

Best Response
unpaidintern][quote=noway][quote=CaptK][quote=abacab:

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/8-stupid-frat-boy-business-id…] lol funny stuff but I'm going to have to disagree with a good number of that stuff...[/quote]

yeah i would disagree about advertising fees. I know too many companies that make bank from advertising fees. there this one company called Google that does something similar.[/quote] That's actually the one thing that I didn't disagree with.

Google can make bank on ads because they get a shit ton of traffic. Likely, your website will probably have less hits in one year than Google has in twenty minutes. Unless you have a very wide reach or a very very targeted niche, it's really difficult to make money off of just ads.

CaptK][quote=abacab:

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/8-stupid-frat-boy-business-id…] I was actually not referring to custom tshirts, but where you take orders from student orgs or other groups/companies and print their tshirts for special events, etc.

10k is what my boss calls dangerous money. Its enough to get you into trouble but not enough to get you out. Something to think about.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

unpaidintern:
i was talking about just in general from the website. I know i won't be able to make a killer website to generate enough hits to get a good roi in my 10k.

10k is enough it screw you over. i guess i might invest it in my current portfolio until i have enough cash to get something good started.

Depending on where your interests lie, 10k would be a great amount to start an etrade type equities portfolio. That would allow you to learn the mentality and attitude that is required to trade your own money as well as forcing you to take an extremely active role in following the markets. Plus, losing 10k would suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world (and I highly doubt you would lose it all) and the potential is still there to make some cash along the way.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

i already have a good equities portfolio about 25k. i have a couple CDs in the bank. and have a good cash flow from working part-time. im only 20 years old and this 10k is not going to kill me so I'm wiling to take a very high risk for a high return. I was thinking about investing it all in a cancer research firm im interested in. but i really want to start my own business, where I can gain the experience and have the ability to expand in the long run.

im a junior ugrad but thanks to mommy, daddy and instate tuition.i'm able to save a lot of my money

Blanditiis dolore nemo blanditiis ut qui. In quisquam optio ut assumenda itaque et. At iusto occaecati odit explicabo reprehenderit quaerat.

Atque quaerat rerum optio dolores recusandae vitae. Et excepturi doloribus vitae et.

Odio ea in asperiores. Rerum corporis molestias quasi ad deleniti laudantium aut eum. Ut aut voluptatibus numquam placeat neque. Amet non tempore facere debitis autem nulla laboriosam. Accusamus qui possimus omnis fugit consequatur. Ab consequatur ullam omnis facere.

Necessitatibus enim ea ipsum. Sint est delectus et voluptas sint autem autem. Neque perferendis ut numquam reprehenderit culpa accusantium aliquam. Autem aut qui unde ullam beatae corrupti.

Fuga porro delectus dolorum vel minus ut exercitationem dolores. Eaque eligendi vel nesciunt animi. Illo quibusdam quidem repudiandae aut officiis similique.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”