11/25/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend. In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Successful Blackmail Achieved
Post By @Fear The Bulge"

The last thing I truly remember from two weeks ago was that I was watching the election results roll in and they called Wisconsin for Trump. Subsequently I had such a hardcore week-long celebration bender that I totally forgot about showering, the internet, and everyone in my life. Somehow when I came to, there was a new TV in my bathtub

The Intellectual Yet Idiot
Post By @Matrick"

Here is a must read article by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. How many of you deadlift?

Use Thanksgiving to Set 2017 Goals
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

For about the past 25 years, Thanksgiving weekend has been the four most important days of my year. Not only do I love everything about Thanksgiving (the food, my family and friends, and the pervasive feeling of gratitude regardless of circumstances), but for me, it is the most natural time to take stock of where I am at relative to my goals and to get a jump on the coming year.

Key Interview Takeaways - 2nd Year Analyst Perspective
Post By @NuclearPenguins"

I did some interviewing last year, and this year I was heavily involved for both SA and FT interviews. I will lay out some observations that can be useful for people who are attending interviews (likely for the next recruiting cycle at this point though).

Non-Target to MM IB: My Advice
Post By @anonymous_789"

Although I am not as interesting as a Tibetan monk who realized his true passion is staring at Excel 18 hours a day, hopefully I can help a few monkeys find the golden/Goldman banana of internships.

Some Thoughts on Networking
Post By @guyfromct"

First and foremost, recognize that networking is actually about forming relationships; it is not a transactional thing. I am not going to go to bat just by virtue of somebody having talked to me once. Given my busy schedule, I try and make myself as available as possible for people trying to break in.

Travel Hacks for the 21st Century
Post By @Young Wolf"

Seeing that most of us travel frequently for work, school or vacation purposes, I thought it would be nice if we shared some of our travel tips here to benefit each other. I will start with a few of mine.

AMA- Big 4 Audit to MM IB
Post By @Love Audit Money"

I went to a semi-target for my undergraduate program and started in the Big 4 after getting my MAcc. I also have my CPA and I have passed CFA L1. I recently moved from Big 4 Audit to a top MM IB (Blair, Jeff, Baird, HL) after 1.5 years in Audit. I am happy to answer any questions about the process I used to make the transition, how I prepared for the interviews, and my opinion on Big 4 Audit/TAS, corporate finance/development jobs.

GS -> YouTube -> top hedge fund
Post By @Matrick"

Is Jess Greenberg impressive or not?

Do you ever feel resentment?
Post By @RobberBaron123"

Numerous times, I made it through numerous rounds of interviews, only to be shut out in the end. Is it normal to feel resentment towards an employer that shuts you down or thinks of you as their second or third option, whether you know that or not?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”