Speaking to friends who work there - they're starting to get some nice deal flow. From what I understand though, the downside to all this is that these guys are being worked to the bone but don't have the exit opps to make up for it.

Best Response

I've got a few older friend in the NY office. been told the hours do suck hard but they are compensated way over street for it (1st year analyst bonus was $70k).

deal flow has been picking up as well. from an M&A standpoint this summer he said they did- Saks/Hudson for $2.9B, Tribune for $2.7B, Hanes/Maidenform for $600m and some other financings. they also plan to double their analyst class going forward and opened up an Atlanta office with RX now in SF and NY. seems to be expanding quickly.

i'd say they are definitely not a middle market firm since they do billion $+ engagements and megasized deals like Verizon. they are definitely reaching the elite boutique status but may take another blockbuster deal like Verizon or so to get them there.

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

Reuters reports that Verizon Wireless had FCF of $28.6 billion in 2012. Since Verizon is buying the 45% stake that means they are basically buying $12.85 billion of FCF a year (I dont know what the growth possibilities are) for 130 billion. To me that seems fairly priced at about 10 times FCF. Any telecom experts here that have an opinion regarding the 130 billion valuation?

Reuters: "Verizon has tapped JPMorgan Chase & Co, Morgan Stanley, Barclays, and Bank of America Merrill Lynch to help raise the financing through a mix of bonds and bank loans, the sources said.

It plans to pay for another half of the purchase with its own stock.

The four banks are also advising Verizon, along with former Morgan Stanley banker Paul Taubman and Guggenheim Partners, the sources said."

Heres the breakdown:

Guggenheim Securities & ex-MS Taubman advising Verizon (rumor is they've been on it for over a year or more) JPM, MS, Barclays, BAML on financing, and also co-advisors for Verizon (rumor is they came a bit later for financing reasons and now co-advising the closing) GS and UBS advising Vodafone

Facere eius magni vel doloremque aut. Deleniti odit ut atque quod molestiae quod. Et magnam odit quibusdam dolores accusantium nemo corporis quo. Iusto dicta ducimus consequatur eveniet voluptas suscipit sed.

Tempora voluptates nam eveniet. Est rerum asperiores eos cupiditate aut. Impedit libero ut eum ut inventore aut sed sint. Ea consequuntur autem expedita voluptas eum.

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

At similique incidunt cupiditate expedita incidunt error beatae. Dicta laudantium dolores dignissimos occaecati aut. Facilis est dignissimos ullam dignissimos aut optio. Ipsa laudantium perspiciatis vitae ea cum. Sunt reprehenderit sunt corrupti. Aspernatur illum porro provident aliquid eveniet reprehenderit in qui. Cupiditate voluptatibus tempora cupiditate cum fuga reiciendis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”