• Sharebar

Can someone talk about the progression of associates throughout the typical "four year" program up to VP. My understanding is that hours are the worst the first year....and progressively get much better as your role switches to being the MD's "sidekick" , spending more and more time traveling and "shadowing" them, participating in entertaining clients...etc.

Do 3rd/4th year associates start to live normal lives?? Weekends drop off, you can make dinner plans, etc.
....or is it bootcamp all the way up to the VP promotion??

Can some current associates...or perhaps well versed analysts share their knowledge.

The WSO Advantage - Investment Banking

Financial Modeling Training

IB Templates, M&A, LBO, Valuation + Learn More.

IB Interview Prep Pack

30,000+ sold & REAL questions Learn More.

Resume Help from Actual IB Pros

Land More IB Interviews. Learn More.

Find Your Perfect IB Mentor

Realistic IB Mock Interviews. Learn More.

Comments (14)

• futuramo's picture

VPs still spend night and weekends at the office most of the time. Associate is no joke.

• macro's picture

In my group, 1st year associates work as hard (if not harder) when compared to the analysts. Starting from their 2nd year and on, there starts to be a big divergence amongst the class depending on staffings, style and talent. There are guys who seem to be working a 9-5, while there are guys who are always here. As far as how this will affect their careers going forward, we'll have to wait and see.

• Eric Stratton's picture

VP's I talked to only work weekends when shit is hitting the fan. And most are usually out between 7 and 8ish. Working 8 to 8 five days a week is still a 60 hour work week when you are trying to start a family.

---------------------
    "Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America."

• In reply to Eric Stratton
    LIBOR's picture

randymoss:
    VP's I talked to only work weekends when shit is hitting the fan. And most are usually out between 7 and 8ish. Working 8 to 8 five days a week is still a 60 hour work week when you are trying to start a family.

How might this compare with someone at a similar at M/B/B or in BigLaw (I'm years away from this I'm just asking for informations sake)

• Genesis's picture

I don't know about 2nd year, but 1st year is more stressful than my analyst years. A lot more accountability, and checking work takes almost as long as actually doing it yourself.

• In reply to LIBOR
    Eric Stratton's picture

Not sure about MBB but from what I know about Big Law you never see a huge drop in hours like banking. An MD in banking might work 40-50 hours a week and do a lot of traveling but partners at Big law firms still need to bill as many hours as possible. I know some that are in their 50s and work around 60 hours a week at least. And associates who stay on past 2 or 3 years and want to make partner are probably putting in 70 to 80 hour weeks until their 8th year.

---------------------
    "Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America."

• tomm29's picture

BigLaw appears to be a different story, as there's mad push on making hours even if it's pointless. There's huge misconception that partners work less hours, my cousin says. Especially young partners are cutthroat, since they didn't work their asses off for so many years to be a disappointment.

• buckerine11's picture

So, do any of the associates have a family? I can't imagine working analyst + hours is conducive to maintaining outside relationships.

• TNA's picture

Personally I couldn't imagine any greater motivation for working long hours than having a wife and a kid lol.

• TimothyBryce's picture

Any input on how this varies by bank? Or is it pretty much universal? Thanks

• monty09's picture

To unlock this content for free, please login / register below.

Connecting helps us build a vibrant community. We'll never share your info without your permission. Sign up with email or if you are already a member, login here Bonus: Also get 6 free financial modeling lessons for free ($200+ value) when you register!