I'm not an associate, but from what the associates told me at the BB I worked at during the summer the following was standard for a first year:

Salary: 100+ Signing: 50 (for b-school candidates, analyst promotes got less) Performance: 100+

Those were the 2007-2008 #'s, so adjust accordingly. 140 seems low, but the market for associates has completely changed.

associate sign on this year at my bank was 50 plus 5 for end of summer bonus plus another 5 for signing before a certain date. so total was 60

so stub year should look something like 60 plus august, sept. , oct. nov. and dec. salary plus a stub bonus which is usually around 40k (give or take)

Then first full associate year which is what people should be referencing when they say "first year associate" should be 95+ salary for the year plus about 150k bonus. this was for good years. not sure what the numbers will look like street wide this year. i bet the range will be a lot more broad accross the street this year.

I work at a BB here in NY, and I have no clue where you guys are pulling these numbers from. At my bank this year, associates (first year) got paid 95k plus 25k signon bonus. Not sure what their stub bonuses were but I doubt it was anything to brag about.

yup..agree with IBNutz and herserendipity

Moneykingdom..sign ons at ur firm were only 25k for associates? What the hell did analysts get, 1K?

We're about to enter a Great Depression. Don't you want a president who's already dressed for it?

------------ I'm making it up as I go along.

Actually the new analysts (those who will start in June) got 10k and the Associates got 25k. We only hired Associates who interned with us this past summer and I know they got 25k. Maybe they got additional "relocation" bonus that I am unaware of.

I believe the question is about an associate who has already completed his/her stub period thus discussion about stub bonuses and sign-on benefits are irrelevant. The question is also not asking about 2007 comp which is obviously not a relevant benchmark for 2008 comp.

If you assume the associate's salary is at market, $95,000, an all-in number of $140,000 implies a bonus for the Jan 1, 2008 - Dec 31, 2008 period of $45,000. This bonus amount would likely be equal to the stub bonus the associate received in 2007. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any hard numbers to confirm whether this $95K + $45 construct is fair for this year so I can't be of much help.

Does anyone have information that would be relevant here?

Why has so little information regarding 2008 comp been leaked to the street?

Typically at this point in the year people are circulating spreadsheets that contain the various buckets at each bank.

monkey3030:
Why has so little information regarding 2008 comp been leaked to the street?

Typically at this point in the year people are circulating spreadsheets that contain the various buckets at each bank.

Because there isn't much to brag about. When people got bonuses they felt good about they were more apt to peek over the urinal wall to see what their neighbor was packing. They would even lean back a little so everyone around them could see their donkey dong. But when you a have tiny banana, so to speak, you already know you're just going to get a punch in the gut when you see a 4 and a half inch Asian compared to your 3 incher and you tend to huddle closer to the wall so no one knows.

Best Response
I'm calling complete bullshit on a 50K signing bonus. I finished my <abbr title="Masters in Business Administration&#10;"><abbr title="Masters in Business Administration">MBA</abbr></abbr> in 2006, and the signing bonus was 30K everywhere. Then in 2007 it was increased to 40K. So you're telling me that in 2008, in the midst of the biggest financial crisis since the great depression and only 1 year after raising the signing bonus, they raised it again???? I'm raising the bullshit flag on that one...

But as Monkey3030 said, that is irrelevant. The OP asked about an associate's first full year bonus in 2008, which means they joined the bank after graduation in summer/fall 2007.

That person would be getting 95K base, and would have had a 45-50K stub bonus last year, depending on desk/group.

Last year the full-year associate bonus in IB was around 200-225 from what I've heard (for S&T went from as low as 80 to as high as 300+). So that's the basis for comparison. If numbers are down this year by 50%, give or take, then you're probably looking at between 80 and 120 bonus. Which would put all-in comp in the 175-215 range.

With that as your point of comparison, now start plugging in whatever you've heard from 1st year associate friends this year....were they in fact 80-120, or not?

skins1:
I'm calling complete bullshit on a 50K signing bonus. I finished my MBA in 2006, and the signing bonus was 30K everywhere. Then in 2007 it was increased to 40K. So you're telling me that in 2008, in the midst of the biggest financial crisis since the great depression and only 1 year after raising the signing bonus, they raised it again???? I'm raising the bullshit flag on that one...
I am a 2008 MBA grad, the signing bonus was $40k across the street. But, there was also $10k of relocation which makes the $50k they are probably referring to. Of course these sign ons were actually paid out in the fall of 2007 before the worst of it all.

skins1:
If numbers are down this year by 50%, give or take, then you're probably looking at between 80 and 120 bonus. Which would put all-in comp in the 175-215 range.

With that as your point of comparison, now start plugging in whatever you've heard from 1st year associate friends this year....were they in fact 80-120, or not?

Thanks skins1, I appreciate the response.

Can anyone confirm this range, preferably through personal knowledge rather than assumptions?

I can tell you for a fact that this year's signing bonus for summer associates signing at our bank was 60... thats 50 signing, 5 end of summer bonus, and 5 for signing earlier than a given date.

call BS if you want. i'm just telling it how it is. if you're really at a BB and you're calling BS then call one of the guys who did a summer in your group and ask them what they got. if they got less than what i'm stating by more than 10k then they are lying or they got fucked or your bank sucks

IBnutz:
I can tell you for a fact that this year's signing bonus for summer associates signing at our bank was 60... thats 50 signing, 5 end of summer bonus, and 5 for signing earlier than a given date.

call BS if you want. i'm just telling it how it is. if you're really at a BB and you're calling BS then call one of the guys who did a summer in your group and ask them what they got. if they got less than what i'm stating by more than 10k then they are lying or they got fucked or your bank sucks

As I said, I was a summer associate in 2007. Not sure what the package was for people from this past summer. We also got a $5k end of summer bonus, but I don't count that as a signing bonus since you got it regardless of acceptance. I think there was a $2.5k bonus for accepting, so I should have added that. But the original $50k is what you have to pay back if you leave the firm in

This could be totally wrong, but I think the psychology of Associate signing bonuses being $40-50K is that the firm is essentially paying for your second year of business school.

One reason this may be is to entice someone to switch firms/industries if they are sponsored. E.g. I have a friend who is sponsored by a MBB consulting firm: his first year is definitely paid for, but his second year is only paid if he goes back there full-time. He is planning to try banking for the summer and, if he likes it, would probably only go for banking full-time if the signing bonus is roughly comparable to what the consulting firm would cover. If he was choosing between a 20K IB signing bonus and $50+K of tuition/expenses covered by the consulting firm, then he would not be likely to accept the banking offer.

For other students it could replenish savings, reduce loan burden, etc. Keep in mind nearly all business school students pay for it themselves, in one form or another. I understand that many undergrads take out loans, work through college, etc. but I don't think the firms feel it is as important to cover their tuition. There is also virtually no need-based financial aid or work-study available in business school—i.e. you are paying for the full burden of $100K+.

@IBnutz--I stand corrected. I checked in with some buddies who just finished up b-school in 2008 and they confirmed the increase to 50K....

I'm honestly surprised by that. Obviously it sucks for those of us who graduated a few years ago, but again, I'm surprised by the timing. 

I will be a 2009 MBA grad heading back to BB full time for S&T. Everyone got 5k end of summer (including those who didn't get an offer), 5k for those who signed and had spent the summer there, 12k for relocation and 40k for signing.....so total of 62k if you were a summer hire. From what I've heard from classmates in banking it was similar, except if they had offers from a certain group they had a deadline. If they didn't sign by that date they got thrown back into the general pool....not sure if there were financial incentives tied to that also. As for stubs and next years numbers I think it is anyone's guess.

its cool.... good discussion here.

indian banker.... the reason associates are paid more (in my opinion) is because the bank is making a longer term investment (they hope) when they invest in an associate.

if you're an analyst you'll probably go off on some rant about how you know more than your associate and all that but what i'll say is most (not all) of the analyst to associate promotes in my group (i'm really thinking of only 2, out of 2, so i should have said all) are really immature for first year associates (too young) and they don't have any business experience outside of banking. as a result they aren't as prepared to make the step to the next level when you start to have to call on clients (makeing the move to senior level VP and above). one of my MD's once said that the analyst promotes a lot of times tap out around 3rd year associate for this very reason.

now, on the contrary, i can say i know more MDs in my group who were analyst promotes than just 2 guys. but the majority of MDs in my group have MBA's or some experience other than IB analyst prior to their associate/VP/MD years.

anyway, i am sorry for ranting on this but i wanted to answer indian banker who is obviously bitter because he knows excel better than his associate. hey... the indians in the presentations department know more than me about powerpoint but they aren't going to get promoted to VP anytime soon.

skins... i know its crazy. some of the first year VPs in my group were pretty amazed at the growth in the signing bonus number since they signed on.

we will see what happens... how safe are those offers? how safe are any of our jobs when you come to think of it?

i'm glad i atleast have a year of experience on wall street on my resume if this thing falls apart for me. i'd trade that for a little extra signing bonus int he grand scheme of things

Optio alias consequuntur est fugit. Tempora sint optio id ipsum et deserunt. Dolorem maiores quis quasi aliquid. Aut saepe dignissimos omnis deleniti distinctio. Quaerat delectus eveniet sed rem cum saepe.

Illum enim molestias itaque nesciunt. Et dolor ullam doloremque et. Enim iure nihil ipsa maxime. Velit nulla ipsam nisi delectus tempora ut. Id corrupti tempora qui. Sunt asperiores est non praesentium dolorem. Tempore ad voluptas iusto quia iste doloremque.

Quia sint fuga at molestiae inventore magnam ratione eos. Veniam praesentium quia similique error quae voluptate sit. Laborum ut autem quasi quisquam.

Dignissimos cupiditate eum quibusdam a omnis provident quia. Sit molestiae quibusdam laudantium ratione voluptates id. Nostrum cum exercitationem magnam neque nobis. Aut adipisci dolores ea consectetur. Qui est eveniet unde sunt voluptate vero dignissimos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”