If those figures are accurate then Avergae Joe analyst is looking at over $100k in his first year, right? Why the fuck would any self respecting organisation give $100k a year to some kid straight outta college?

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

Zweihander:
If those figures are accurate then Avergae Joe analyst is looking at over $100k in his first year, right? Why the fuck would any self respecting organisation give $100k a year to some kid straight outta college?

LOL, I can tell you're new here.

$100K is on the low end to be honest. Base is $70K + 10K signon + $45K bonus = $125K all in.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I do not think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcom

coffeebateman:
Zweihander:

$100K is on the low end to be honest. Base is $70K + 10K signon + $45K bonus = $125K all in.

My parents have been working like slaves for 20 years, and their yearly income together is about $60K. I cant understand why banks would give $125k a year to someone who's barely left puberty.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

Zweihander:
coffeebateman:
Zweihander:

My parents have been working like slaves for 20 years, and their yearly income together is about $60K. I cant understand why banks would give $125k a year to someone who's barely left puberty.

It's called high finance. The disparity in salary has nothing to do with work ethic or age, but the nature of the industry and the money flowing through that industry.

Best Response
Zweihander:
coffeebateman:
Zweihander:

Banking's primary costs relate to compensation, which relates to it being a large scale service industry. Being that the objective is to execute deals and make commissions/spreads on these lucrative deals, it all hinges on performance. In order to make money, they must perform well. In order to perform well they must retain talent. In order to retain talent, they must offer competitive compensation (relative to the industry as well as to build large-scale demand for employment). Aside from that, $100K/year in NYC or the other major markets basically allows entry-level FO employees to live comfortably but not luxuriously. With that being said, IB offers high entry-level pay for obvious reasons; they want to attract top performing college grads...so how do they do that? Offer a limited number of high paying positions.

Zweihander:
coffeebateman:
Zweihander:

The same reason biglaw can justify paying $160k+bonus/yr to someone with the social skills of a retarded walrus, no practical knowledge, and a top 14 law degree, in an oversaturated profession with a median income of about $85k and declining.. They pay for what they perceive as talent.

"We are lawyers! We sue people! Occasionally, we get aggressive and garnish wages, but WE DO NOT ABDUCT!" -Boston Legal-

Zweihandler,

Two main justifications for the high pay - cost of living and hours worked. Manhattan is an expensive island to live on, and when you're working 120 hour weeks - it makes things unworkable if you live out in Queen's or in New Jersey (there isn't enough hours in the week to commute). Another factor to the cost of living is the high taxes. In NYC - you pay federal, state and city tax. Yes, $125k could be the gross - but really, the government takes half, you keep half. During my first year, I lived in a fringe area, and converted my living room to be a bedroom to a living room. I paid $1,550 a month (rent was more expensive then) - which brought rent + electricity to $20k / year.

I would argue that the amount of work done by IBD analysts are similar to working 3 full time government jobs. I've worked 120 hour weeks with constant pressure and deadlines.A government 40 hour work week is at a much more relaxed pace. I didn't take hour long lunches or long coffee breaks - my friends in Washington did. In addition, the bank saves the hefty benefits costs (only paying for 1 employee vs. 3) and providing less generous packages. Although the benefit cost is debatable as many local governments don't need to fund pensions, they simply just write an IOU and let the next guy deal with it. The IBD pay works out to be about $40k per full time government job, but after factoring the different tax rates, the real pay is in the low-mid $30k range. Pretty sad.

The way I would describe it is, people fresh out of college slaving away trying to afford Manhattan and trying to learn a few things in order to make more.

The bonus is really just how you percieve it - you can argue that you think $125k is too much for a recent college grad, but when I was in banking, and doing the 100-120 hour weeks, all I could think about was how this was only to be justified by the bonus. I am not some money grubbing clown either - but I think when you're under pressure and stress, you think of anyway to validate what your'e doing. The few superstar lifers in each class are the only ones I think who don't even need a bonus to validate what they're doing - they just flat out love it.

10dulkar:
how about top boutiques? Will they be equal to or more than MS/GS/JP?

historically it's been more, and i heard that last year the elite boutiques were way above BBs, but i haven't been able to confirm this with anyone. doesn't seem like anyone on this board knows what the actual bonuses were at these places.

kalice123:
10dulkar:
how about top boutiques? Will they be equal to or more than MS/GS/JP?

historically it's been more, and i heard that last year the elite boutiques were way above BBs, but i haven't been able to confirm this with anyone. doesn't seem like anyone on this board knows what the actual bonuses were at these places.

Are the starting salaries roughly the same for boutiques and BBs in the US?

simple demand and supply theory, lol...

like what eric809e said, you're basically working 3 times the hours of a normal government worker, no surprise you should get paid 3 times as much. Moreover, if you calculate the per hour wage, it's really not that much... just the absolute value amazes people.

It may be hard to comprehend @ first, when i was trying to break in, i thought it was a typo, but after all the glamor to those who don't understand the industry, you'll know those MDs make you work for every dollar they pay you.

Aut distinctio deleniti dolore omnis odit eaque. Tempore reprehenderit aut consequatur qui. Qui vero qui expedita fugiat ea enim. Necessitatibus soluta perferendis quis optio quisquam.

Quia eaque autem excepturi tempora. Exercitationem excepturi cum amet reiciendis autem. Non maxime beatae necessitatibus ipsam ratione laboriosam sunt.

Quam commodi quod quae est et. Laudantium ut itaque et consectetur repellendus iste fugiat facere. Explicabo sequi repellat at et. Optio libero consectetur non ut labore saepe vitae. Et ea ut commodi quasi. Aspernatur deleniti quas nemo et est et. Et voluptatibus sit porro maiores sit dolores enim cumque.

Quo qui odio aut. Esse necessitatibus repudiandae ex blanditiis inventore nesciunt qui. Delectus et adipisci debitis nostrum. Aliquid eius blanditiis hic maiores cupiditate tempore. Magni soluta dolor magnam ut quasi. Alias aspernatur veritatis laboriosam modi consequatur in perspiciatis. Dicta sint cumque repellendus aperiam quisquam harum.

Inventore quia quidem rerum tempora ut temporibus eum. Nobis quia quis maxime unde quis rerum quam dolorum. Et et non animi. Omnis qui laboriosam qui omnis. Fugiat sint vel voluptatum. Omnis porro nulla eligendi et fugiat. Vitae cum molestias voluptatum mollitia totam sed voluptatem.

Molestias consequatur quibusdam maiores culpa ab adipisci expedita. Dolor quia at nulla cumque necessitatibus velit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”