2011 IBD Analyst Bonus Prediction

Hey guys,

It may be too early to say how the 2011 bonus payout across investment banks is going to be. I still wanted to see what you think would be the 2011 bonus level for IBD analysts.

Between 40K and 70K for first year analysts? What do you think?

Thanks guys.

If top class of 2008 Associates are around 175-200 this February, then top analysts could reasonably expect 75, 100, 125 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd years respectively.

The obvious caveat is that 1H 2010 is as good or better than the current trend we're experiencing.

As for 2011?? Who knows. My personal guess is that 2011 is going to be a big letdown year. We can't continue on this cocaine-addicted economy forever. Higher rates we probably dampen capital markets activity and may make many M&A deals tough to finance. But, again, that's just my opinion.

BananaStand:
If top class of 2008 Associates are around 175-200 this February, then top analysts could reasonably expect 75, 100, 125 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd years respectively.

The obvious caveat is that 1H 2010 is as good or better than the current trend we're experiencing.

As for 2011?? Who knows. My personal guess is that 2011 is going to be a big letdown year. We can't continue on this cocaine-addicted economy forever. Higher rates we probably dampen capital markets activity and may make many M&A deals tough to finance. But, again, that's just my opinion.

Your opinion is idiotic. 2010-2011 M&A and IPO activity will be huge.

BananaStand:

feels too aggressive. i would say

40-60k for 1st years 50-70k 2nd years 60-80k for 3 years.

edit: this is in conjunction with the base-raises to 70/80/90k, respectively.

Tiger, thanks for your opinion. Please show me where I said 2010 M&A and IPO activity would be slow or sub-par?

I specifically mentioned 2011 as the letdown year. Do you honestly think that capital markets activity will continue to boom like this once the government has stopped buying securities and started to raising rates? My point is that the extremely attractive financing markets of 2009 and 2010 will end up stealing future business from 2011.

Right now everyone and their mother can access HY markets to refi in the high single digit and low double digit coupons. We are at pre-crash coupon levels (albeit not all-in leverage levels). This will not continue once rates start to creep up. And when that happens people will no longer "opportunistically" access debt markets and the fee wallet will shrink quickly.

IPO markets are clearly the wild card. Alot of PE funds may need the exit even if the valuation isn't a homerun.

I don't think 2011 is going to drop off a cliff the way things did in 3Q 2007, but it will also be nothing like 2009 and 2010.

no homo:
Dibbs:
so UBS gets no bonus ?
Lol, analysts got paid above street there last year. The issues apparently come as you go up the ladder, though a report I saw said they paid a higher percentage of their revenue in compensation than anyone on the street - and by a large margin at that.

I read the bonuses were barbell shaped, MD's and analysts got paid and everyone else in the middle got screwed over. Apparently they didn't want MD's to leave and grad recruiting is apparently a pricey endeavor.

70-100k lol...i wish.

$65k was the top bucket at several of the better banks and not the norm across banks on street. If you want more money, go to good boutiques and you will get compensated better than your BB peers.

Ricqles:
70-100k lol...i wish.

$65k was the top bucket at several of the better banks and not the norm across banks on street. If you want more money, go to good boutiques and you will get compensated better than your BB peers.

I did say the higher end banks. Lots of my friends are going to places that payed 70+ for top bucket or for everyone in the case of the boutiques Either way, I dont see how a $65k bonus for a first fucking year out of college is anything to laugh at.

Well here is the first data point I have seen for June: $95k for 3rd yr bonus (up about 10% from last year 3rd years) for a stronger mid market bank outside NY. Given how payouts have been there vs other friends at BB I would expect (if history is any indication) that top buckets @ BB would be in the 80, 90, 105 range for 1st through 3rd years, but just a swag guess.

What is the update on this? In past years, the first round of banks would announce mid-Jul with the rest announcing first week of Aug. Which banks have announced? Haven't seen the spreadsheet circulating anywhere yet.

Unionbusters without Borders:
If you went to Harvard, probably in the 100k to 150k range, if you didnt, 1. what the fuck are you doing at an investment bank 2. try to get a new job before you are fired.

$100-150k because your unearned wealth needs to be subsidized since your most successful alumni are dropouts (so take a cue, cause you sound more like a summer analyst). I'd suggest a few less forum posts until you move out of your 7x7 cube or at least close a deal (doesn't even have to be your own).

Unionbusters is pissed because he went to Harvard and didn't get an IB offer. Congrats at being a nontarget in life, Union.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

The lack of numbers posted on here leads me to conclude either

1) All the banks are pushing back announcement to end of Jul, hitting accounts in mid-Aug or 2) Numbers that have been announced so far were bad (highly possible given GS and MS stub earlier this year) and people don't want to talk about it

TheKid1:
I want to know how much Qatalyst bonus was..

are they "killing it"?

"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

mrvau:
Where did you get those dates?

Blowjobs. Lots and lots of blowjobs.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

I heard 70 / 1Y and 100 / 3Y at BarCap as well and DealBreaker also reported 100 for 3Y. Not sure about 2Y. Patrick what did you hear? Can someone from BAML, UBS, CS, DB post please? Just create another account if you're worried about identity.

Looks like 2011 Street (two different BBs) is 65 top first year, confirmed from several people I went to school with at each bank. The problem with WSO is high school kids repeating what they heard from each other.

Have any boutiques announced yet?

I work at CS (1st year) and got 58k. A couple other analysts here (in other divisions, even) also got 58k. Have no idea what bucket that is, though, but it's not bottom.

Lord Blankfein:
BTW were GS and MS 1st year Jan stubs the same this year?
Quite interested by GS/MS Jan stubs... can't find a lot of information on it (no bucket for stubs?)

My friend who just graduated from College (not me) at one of the top 5 PE has been offered $180,000 base. The person could get somewhere aroun $300,000 including bonus.

Another friend who just graduated from college and starts at a very famous Quant fund with $175,000 base.

mulandee:
My friend who just graduated from College (not me) at one of the top 5 PE has been offered $180,000 base. The person could get somewhere aroun $300,000 including bonus.

Another friend who just graduated from college and starts at a very famous Quant fund with $175,000 base.

I haven't really heard of them hiring out of undergrad directly unless it's in advisory (not PE). Also, I know someone with 3 years banking experience and they didn't get hired on at $180 base at KKR so I'm calling BS. $300k all in is high for directly out of undergrad, but not completely absurd for 2-4 years experience.

Also junior guys at quant funds can often carry unusually high bases (although that would be the largest I've ever heard of out of school), but that's usually because they don't get hardly any performance bonuses and their base just stays mostly flat year after year as they earn into heavy performance bonuses.

I don't have the end all, be all of data points but have been around long enough with some pretty close friends that would leave me to believe there is something not quite right about your data. Maybe I'm just sheltered and naive down here in Texas.

Fugit possimus autem aut ut quia non vero. Optio quidem dignissimos laudantium placeat. Deleniti molestiae voluptatem et qui facilis amet.

Libero eum magni veniam ipsa incidunt. Eum et voluptatum quam saepe. Nobis iste quod enim neque recusandae rerum. Nostrum qui ipsam aut temporibus aperiam eum itaque reiciendis.

Eius dignissimos voluptatem animi rerum delectus. Deleniti veritatis voluptatum magni quia amet enim magnam. Illum sed vel nam quibusdam dolorum asperiores.

Ullam libero ab nesciunt et. Ab quo nihil fuga expedita quis vitae. Nobis saepe maiores odit distinctio asperiores sunt cum tenetur.

Wall Street leaders now understand that they made a mistake, one born of their innocent and trusting nature. They trusted ordinary Americans to behave more responsibly than they themselves ever would, and these ordinary Americans betrayed their trust.

Rerum minus odio quisquam et. Et et atque tenetur et velit. Vitae est aut omnis animi. Enim maiores eius incidunt neque est dolore et. Vero minima qui optio cum dolores. In quia totam numquam aliquam.

Ipsa fugiat debitis saepe hic et magni. Omnis esse dolore earum iusto id. Aut et est quos aliquid incidunt suscipit est et. Nemo nulla error ut voluptatem odio quo.

Est quo maiores eveniet ut ut. Ex laudantium veniam in et officiis quisquam.

Aut consequuntur pariatur et voluptatem quod quam quia. Ut et rerum facilis enim natus et. Totam ab quam saepe. Qui voluptatem animi nobis.

Autem libero ipsam consequatur expedita animi vel. Modi doloremque et ea sapiente. Ducimus eaque ad alias ut excepturi occaecati. Quo eum qui maiores fugiat quidem eius non sequi.

Et iusto vitae voluptatum ipsa quaerat at quaerat. Omnis vel eum omnis nulla velit non praesentium nulla. Quos laborum sit autem unde quia voluptates. Facilis eveniet quibusdam laborum est.

Necessitatibus nihil quibusdam qui non natus. Deleniti totam et dolor ipsa distinctio. Impedit explicabo ipsum unde quibusdam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”