2011 NFL Draft - Excited or Not So Excited?

So anyone geared up to watch the draft tonight? As a long time Raiders fan, I wish I could say I am, but I'm not. We traded away our first round draft pick on an aging defensive end. Thus, we have no 1st round picks. I also think the Panthers are making a HUGE mistake if they pick Newston at #1. But we'll see. Not to mention this lockout bullshit makes it somewhat of a downer. Curious to hear arbitrary thoughts on this...

ouch (referring to you being an Oakland fan). im a long-suffering jets fan, until the last few years its been pretty awful

and the Panthers are in a shitty situation...they can't trade down, since it's pretty stacked up top. plus the pts system for trading up is absurd...is the 1st pick really worth two #15 overall picks? hell no http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

personally i think patrick peterson is worth it regardless of need...of course hes not a shutdown corner yet, but its only a matter of time. if you have to throw $13m/yr at a player for the 1st overall pick, he's the surest bet. "best cb prospect since champ bailey"

srvmccready:
ouch (referring to you being an Oakland fan). im a long-suffering jets fan, until the last few years its been pretty awful

and the Panthers are in a shitty situation...they can't trade down, since it's pretty stacked up top. plus the pts system for trading up is absurd...is the 1st pick really worth two #15 overall picks? hell no http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

personally i think patrick peterson is worth it regardless of need...of course hes not a shutdown corner yet, but its only a matter of time. if you have to throw $13m/yr at a player for the 1st overall pick, he's the surest bet. "best cb prospect since champ bailey"

That points system is an interesting formula. What they may have to do however is figure out a way to increase or decrease the points assigned to position in the draft depending upon player grades. But I'm sure some team has a statistician designated to do that.

I don't think Newton will be a bust, I just think he needs time to develop. If you draft a guy at number 1, people want him to play immediately. Cam is NOT ready to play 7-10 games into the season. He needs a season to sit behind a veteran. You put a guy in early, and if he struggles, his confidence may take a hit. Then you've gotta work on physical and psychological development.

Patrick Peterson is the next Champ Bailey agreed. If it's possible, I'd try to sign that guy to a lifetime contract right outta the draft. lol.

"Cut the burger into thirds, place it on the fries, roll one up homey..." - Epic Meal Time

I'm an Eagles fan and they will prob trade out of the first round which is boring for the fan

I personally think Cam is going to be a bust so it'll be interesting to see where he goes, did anyone see his interview where he couldn't give 1 play when asked by Jon Gruden, any Auburn play call, complete blank! WTF

I think the biggest wildcard player in the first round is Jimmy Smith, huge risk and huge upside potential

adapt or die:
I'm an Eagles fan and they will prob trade out of the first round which is boring for the fan

I personally think Cam is going to be a bust so it'll be interesting to see where he goes, did anyone see his interview where he couldn't give 1 play when asked by Jon Gruden, any Auburn play call, complete blank! WTF

I think the biggest wildcard player in the first round is Jimmy Smith, huge risk and huge upside potential

Eagles fan here as well. I appreciate the fact that building through the draft is incredibly important - just look at the Packers and then look at the Redskins. It's why we've remained so competitive over the last ten years, but for me, this offseason the move that really needs to be made is Asomugha in free agency. I know the fans of thirty other teams are thinking this as well, but right CB was a nightmare position for us all season, and Samuel + Asomugha would be as good a CB tandem as any in the league. We had plenty of space under the old salary cap so we could throw a couple dollars at him I'm sure.

Jimmy Smith is a pretty intriguing prospect as well - it's not like character issues have stopped us signing players in the recent future and apparently he has huge upside. I get the feeling that it'll be a safe pick, getting help for the defensive or offensive line.

Best Response
Oirish:
adapt or die:

Eagles fan here as well. I appreciate the fact that building through the draft is incredibly important - just look at the Packers and then look at the Redskins. It's why we've remained so competitive over the last ten years, but for me, this offseason the move that really needs to be made is Asomugha in free agency. I know the fans of thirty other teams are thinking this as well, but right CB was a nightmare position for us all season, and Samuel + Asomugha would be as good a CB tandem as any in the league. We had plenty of space under the old salary cap so we could throw a couple dollars at him I'm sure.

Jimmy Smith is a pretty intriguing prospect as well - it's not like character issues have stopped us signing players in the recent future and apparently he has huge upside. I get the feeling that it'll be a safe pick, getting help for the defensive or offensive line.

Eagles just took Danny Watkins. I know nothing about this guy but it's strange that he's 26. Looks like they are not too confident in Winston Justice and they want to protect Vick.

I'm excited to see where a few players from my favorite college teams go. I'm a Lions and Patriots fan as well so hopefully they pick well. I think Newton has a lot of potential, but there are so many questions surrounding him. It'll be interesting to see if the Panthers take him just a year after Clausen. I don't think any QB can succeed with the pieces they have on offense right now.

JeffSkilling:
Anyone see the Gruden camp on ESPN where Cam Newton wouldn't even look at Gruden while talking. No way that guy is a leader in the NFL. Can't wait to see him washout.

LMAO. I felt so awkward watching that. Part of me was like, "geez this guy seems too confident." But you know what, players like Julius Peppers/Mario Williams/Demarcus Ware will knock that guy down a notch.

And yeah! Didn't they just draft Clausen? Let that guy develop before you draft another QB!

"Cut the burger into thirds, place it on the fries, roll one up homey..." - Epic Meal Time

syntheticshit:
waiting for bill belichick to trade down and acquire the entire 3rd round five years from now

only slightly kidding, but sometimes I feel like Mel Kiper has the most pointless job in the world given how stupid some NFL teams really are

Totally agree on Mel Kiper's job being absolutely ridiculous... and I'm sure he very good money.

But to the draft I want to see if someone does something ridiculous Goddell...because of the lockout

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

blackfinancier:
syntheticshit:
waiting for bill belichick to trade down and acquire the entire 3rd round five years from now

only slightly kidding, but sometimes I feel like Mel Kiper has the most pointless job in the world given how stupid some NFL teams really are

Totally agree on Mel Kiper's job being absolutely ridiculous... and I'm sure he very good money.

Agree. He and McShay are horrible at their jobs. They and weather forecasters are the only ones i know that get paid no matter how accurate they are.

I literally could not care less about watching it. I will probably go through the draft pics tomorrow online but thats it.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

adapt or die:
Cam Newton = JaMarcus Leaf

lol, my thoughts exactly. Lots of people have labelled him "VY 2.0", but he's nowhere near as good VY was in college. Irrespective, we've seen how good VY has been in the NFL.

JeffSkilling:
Jake Locker over Gabbert. Just wow.

As a Titans fan, I wanted Gabbert and was surprised they took Locker. Locker had a very underwhelming season, especially against top competition.

Man, if you play Atlanta this year, you better buckle your ass up. lol. I know they gave away alot for Julio, but damn. If I were a CB about to line up against White or Jones, I'm doing bench press on the sideline when defense is off the field. That chin strap better be on TIGHT!

Enim ipsam consectetur nostrum voluptatem et minus. Consequatur quia quia voluptatem natus consequatur cupiditate. Temporibus assumenda officiis autem magnam doloribus veritatis. Quis consequatur sit rem sunt cum illum at.

Quae modi est exercitationem iste a quasi velit provident. Non sit necessitatibus voluptatibus qui. Aut laborum omnis ducimus minima tenetur sit.

Ab illum provident eaque animi voluptatem. Et laudantium voluptatum nobis quo ea ducimus. Neque fuga ea dicta ratione soluta sit culpa.

Quia consectetur sint ipsum delectus eum consequuntur. Et ut non commodi repudiandae. Quod corrupti quod id consequuntur quod sint omnis autem.

Harum autem deserunt eaque et quisquam impedit fugiat. Magni qui consequatur nam voluptas id totam ut. Quis similique rerum occaecati quia ducimus enim iure. Temporibus omnis reiciendis facere maxime. Et consequuntur totam perspiciatis totam et voluptas omnis. Ex consequuntur saepe molestiae inventore in harum non ab.

Et suscipit quidem quia. Eos impedit minus dolor qui. Dolorum eos non numquam voluptatibus. Dolorem est accusamus et qui et voluptatem quidem.

Mollitia repudiandae sit nesciunt. Cumque suscipit non aut ipsa illo. Nobis exercitationem ipsam qui non. Architecto sit magni autem sapiente perferendis delectus voluptatem harum. Sit ut itaque libero adipisci. Consequatur occaecati dolor illum perspiciatis delectus.

Quam quas reprehenderit ullam quis. Explicabo neque et soluta ut ullam tempore reiciendis eum. Aut dolor sit consequatur debitis inventore delectus animi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”