2014 in Film: A Most Vibrant Year

It’s that time of the year folks. With 2014 concluded, it’s time for another look into the very best industry: film. This past year I managed to see 25 films in the theater, which I’ve attempted to capture below. Enjoy.

Films

Wild
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Gone Girl
American Sniper
Boyhood
A Most Violent Year

--------------------------------------------------------------
Big Eyes
The Theory of Everything
Edge of Tomorrow
Nightcrawler
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Immigrant
Noah
The Drop
Birdman
Whiplash
Mr. Turner
Selma
The Two Faces of January
--------------------------------------------------------------
Foxcatcher
Venus in Fur
A Most Wanted Man
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Thoughts

The ancient chinese philosopher Lau Tzu once wrote, "Empty yourself of everything", and this is the subject of Wild, my favorite movie from 2014. Wild is an impactful drama that’s centered on a protagonist who faces deep inner turmoil, struggle, and yearning, and ultimately experiences a kind of personal evolution. Wild is about a woman whose life is in complete disarray after the death of her mother, disintegration of her marriage, and rampant casual sex and heroin use, and decides to take a 1000 mile hike through the wilderness on her own. Along the way, she meets various travellers, thinks about poetry from the likes of Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost, and recalls joyous and painful memories from her past. With a riveting performance from Reese Witherspoon, the film hit me pretty hard.

The Imitation Game was a very polished film. Following in the footsteps of movies such as A Beautiful Mind and Good Will Hunting, this film is about the life of Alan Turing, the brilliant mathematician who invented a machine that is attributed to be the first version of a computer, and whose homosexuality ultimately led him to suicide. The title of the film refers to a test that Turing proposed to distinguish between the thoughts of a human and a machine, and ponders whether there is a difference. Not only is The Imitation Game entertaining, sad, and inspiring, but also quite interesting as an exploration of the beginnings of questioning if a machine can be made to think and how that idea unfolds in reality. Distributed by The Weinstein Company and carrying excellent performances from Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game is an easy target for the Oscars.

You might assume that Christopher Nolan’s latest film is about interstellar space travel, but it’s not. The journey through galaxies is only a medium to explore the film’s true subject: love, a word whose overuse and sentimentality would likely make most grown men cringe. Biological anthropologist Helen Fisher describes love as being divided into three components or types: lust, romantic attraction, and attachment, each of which serving a distinct purpose. Interstellar centers around the third one, specifically on the attachment between a parent and his child and between a daughter and her father, and how this force of attachment reverberates through the cosmos. It is almost like the concept of quantum entanglement in physics, where two particles are fundamentally connected in such a way that they can only be described in terms of the other, no matter how much distance is between them or how much time has passed, themes that are explored in Interstellar. It is a very emotional film, and deserves to be watched even if only to experience the mind-blowing “bookshelf scene”. Well done Mr. Nolan, well done.

Quotes

“When it feels scary to jump, that is exactly when you jump. Otherwise you end up staying in the same place your whole life, and that I can't do.” -A Most Violent Year

“It was my life - like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was, to let it be.” -Wild

“If there's one thing I can teach you, it's how to find your best self and when you do, hold on to it for dear life.” -Wild

“Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.” -The Imitation Game

“Our lives unfold before us like puzzling reflections in a mirror.” -American Sniper

“When I think of my wife, I always think of her head. I picture cracking her lovely skull, unspooling her brain, trying to get answers. The primal questions of a marriage: What are you thinking? How are you feeling? What have we done to each other? What will we do?” -Gone Girl

“You know how everyone’s always saying seize the moment? I don’t know, I’m kind of thinking it’s the other way around, you know, like the moment seizes us.” -Boyhood

“I just thought there would be more.” -Boyhood

“Love is the one thing that we’re capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.” -Interstellar

“This is more than just some piece of metal. It’s about what the medal represents, the virtues it requires to attain it.” -Foxcatcher

“His world had vanished long before he entered it, but he sustained the illusion with a marvelous grace.” –The Grand Budapest Hotel

“We’re all easily explicable, yet remain inextricable. Life makes us what we are in an unforeseen instant.” -Venus in Fur

“The key is to just relax. Don't worry about the numbers, don't worry about what the other guys are thinking. You're here for a reason. Have fun.” -Whiplash

“The truth is always interesting.” -Birdman

“The nightingale sings sweetest when it’s darkest.” -The Immigrant

This is interesting, do you look at the Cinema industry from a investor POV? If so, would be good to hear your thoughts of 2015 and the industry ahead etc.

"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

Wish I was knowledgeable enough to predict the financial outcomes of movies and invest in film related companies, but that seems really difficult. If anyone here covers the film space at work definitely chime in.

Though from a movie perspective, in 2015 I'm really looking forward to Knight of Cups as of now, and of course the new Terminator and maybe even Tomorrowland.

Nice list. Wild sound like an interesting story but I hate Reese Witherspoon so that makes it harder for me to completely get on board.

I noticed you put Foxcatcher in the 3rd tier. That movie has gotten wildly mixed reviews. John DuPont is very well known where I'm from outside Philly so that one was of great interest to me.

I am dying to see Interstellar and Gone Girl. I usually love space movies.

Before I saw Wild I didn't really like Reese Witherspoon either, but now I do. Doesn't hurt that you get to see her naked a few times.

Foxcatcher was the biggest disappointment of 2014 imho. I was really looking forward to it, but I felt the film didn't really explore DuPont's escalating mental illness and caused the ending to be an abrupt non sequitur, leaving the viewer bitter, confused, and without any sense of closure. Which is unfortunate given the spectacular performance from Steve Carell. The end is important in all things

Not sure if Snowpiercer counts as it originally came out in 2013, but was only released here in the States in June 2014. Fantastic movie all around and I highly recommend it. It's streaming on NetFlix right now.

Also wondering what everyone thinks of Inherent Vice. Seems like a real trip.

Best Response

I CANNOT wait to see American Sniper, stupid January 16 wide release date, the book was amazing. Interstellar was fantastic but certainly not for everyone, it's a movie I see myself watching a few more times once it's released on netflix/Amazon. Gone Girl was good but I didn't think it was great, should I be worried about American Sniper since you have it ahead of that?

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Great post, always look forward to this.

1. To echo above comments, Gone Girl was good, but didn't totally deliver for me. Falls more in the Tier 2/3.

2. I'm a huge Nolan fan, but Interstellar also fell more into the Tier 2 category for me. Hurts me to say it. I think it could have been 15-20 minutes shorter.

3. A most wanted man. Solid, but was hoping for more based on reviews.

4. Had no real expectations for Edge of Tomorrow. Turns out I very much enjoyed it. Punched above its weight

5. Nightcrawler is in my top 10 for this year.

6. Noah got kinda panned by the critics, but I thought it was pretty good.

7. I liked Birdman more than you did, but I agree, it's falls somewhere in in Tier 2.

Am I the only person who thought 12 Years a Slave was terrible? The movie was very long and slow and completely predictable. Same old boring slave story. You knew the whole movie just by hearing the title.

Also, Brad Pitt's cameo in the last 30 minutes to be the white knight was absurd. Here comes good guy Brad to save the day.

So this movie wins best picture in hyper liberal Hollywood.

adapt or die:

Am I the only person who thought 12 Years a Slave was terrible? The movie was very long and slow and completely predictable. Same old boring slave story.

I thought 12 Years was very well executed, unlike Selma which I fell asleep in. Though I wouldn't be surprised if critics felt pressured to give favorable reviews for both films given their subject matter

Voluptatem ratione expedita et reprehenderit repellat atque quas distinctio. Deleniti dignissimos corrupti repudiandae ut fugit. Consequatur et modi ut velit. Asperiores excepturi deserunt deleniti qui expedita ea assumenda. Voluptatum eligendi alias nam aliquid accusantium hic dolores. Ut et sit quia quibusdam aut.

Et non quaerat qui necessitatibus. Veritatis quia voluptatum animi sequi quia velit nesciunt. Id dolorem qui magni. Nam repudiandae delectus doloremque voluptatum nemo voluptas. Distinctio unde aut perferendis incidunt. Commodi minima aut id non consequatur at omnis. Et voluptate a vitae qui pariatur possimus.

Molestiae ut exercitationem in suscipit asperiores quia minus. Est quas quisquam minus animi recusandae provident explicabo rerum. Porro et dolorum ducimus id qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”