2014 NBA Draft

So, biggest surprise of the 2014 NBA Draft?

For me, it would probably be Nik Stauskas, great player and all, but not a great pick for the Kings and I think the guy could have been picked up slightly lower. Not that great trade value probably. Should be a really nice role playing player though.

Region

Best Response

One of the guys covering the draft said Bruno Caboclo was "2 years away from being '2 years away' " or something along those lines. Certainly a pick that would have most people scratching their heads, but I'm not certain. First of all, there's not a whole lot of information about this guy (I'm sure the vast majority of people have never even heard of this guy prior to the draft). Apparently, he's touted as the "Kevin Durant of Brazil," but at the same time he is still raw and unpolished... sounds like a bit of a gamble, but maybe the scouts in Toronto saw something that nobody else did. Time will ultimately be the judge of that.

Personally, I have always thought that the NBA draft was more of an art than a science. Despite what all those overpaid ESPN pundits on TV and scouts from teams say, at the end of the day, you never really know how a draft pick is going to turn out based on his physical measurements, stats in college/etc. A nice way of putting it would be an "educated guess." A less nicer way of putting it would be that its essentially the same as betting on horse races. Alas, even the number 1 pick Andrew Wiggins (who, in all likelihood, will have a successful career in the NBA) is not a 100% sure thing, there is always a chance he could turn out to be a bust.

Do you understand how insane it is to say someone is the "Kevin Durant of xxxx," I'm the Kevin Durant of WSO, that is a ridiculous statement if they mean to compare basketball ablities with Kevin Durant that would mean that that kid Bruno, could score ~25 points a game at the major D-1 level..I don't think so.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

I hope they meant that he A) Either has a similar style to KD or B) Same productivity/stats in a way lesser league. Probably a combo of the both I'd imagine, although I haven't seen the kid play.

Bruno is basically in the same position Giannis Antetokounmpo was for the Bucks last year. Very different teams, however. Raptors should focus on growing Terrence Ross's game and probably add some solid role players for their bench as they will be solid in the East for a while.

bfin:

Do you understand how insane it is to say someone is the "Kevin Durant of xxxx," I'm the Kevin Durant of WSO, that is a ridiculous statement if they mean to compare basketball ablities with Kevin Durant that would mean that that kid Bruno, could score ~25 points a game at the major D-1 level..I don't think so.

I totally agree with this. Some of the "player comparisons" I hear each year make me want to throw the remote at the TV.

At one point this year I heard the comparison between Wiggins and Scottie Pippen...just pitiful.

Even Olajuwon/Embiid is a ridiculous stretch. People originally compared Shabazz Muhammad to Kobe...I could go on all day.

Most of people thought the Stauskas pick was pretty good. I was the most out of touch with the draft class this year that I've ever been. I think Milwaukee and Cleveland are going to regret not picking Embiid. Yes, the 5 month injury isn't ideal, but to have such a dynamic and athletic center for 5+ years (worst case) should out weigh that. Philly has some serious assets now.

coreytrevor:
adapt or die:

Sixers projected 2016-2017 season starting 5:

1) Michael Carter-Williams
2) ?
3) Dario Saric
4) Nerlens Noel
5) Joel Embiid

Obviously 2? is going to be either our 1st round pick next year (which will be a high lottery) or whoever we use our cap space on. I'm so excited for the sixers.

I'm excited as well... the only lame thing is we have to watch another tank season with really no changes except the debut of Noel. Having said that, I'm ok with it since I believe we're finally on the path to becoming a real power.

After picking Ben McLemore last year, it does not make much sense, but rumors have it that Stauskas shot the lights out at his workouts. The kings head coach was quoted saying that the two can play together.He went as far as saying that Stauskas has the ability to play some minutes at point. I think that may be a stretch, but both were excellent collegiate scorers so the kings may surprise us all.

Kings are a confusing team. For a while it seemed like they had some sort of strategy, but the Stauskas pick was confusing. He needs to shoot the lights out - which he very well could - but I see him being a good role player for years to come. By the way, they are paying Rudy Gay $19.1 M next year so the Kings will be quite irrelevant in a Western conference that just became more loaded

Don't get all the stauskus bashing? Did people not watch him play? The NBA is about two things can you score and can you guard your position. Both of those boxes check off for him.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Not a Knicks fan but for once they had a decent draft: Cleanthony Early was a late steal (as was Gary Harris) and the Greek Freak's older brother. The NBA is better when the Knicks, Lakers, and Celts are competing. Although we are a few years away from these teams being title contenders I am glad they are taking steps in the right direction.

PS - I know Wiggins very well being from a family associated with Huntington Prep, guy will be a killer in the NBA. Sefless kid who has a chip on his shoulder for no reason, lock down defender, and better than average shooter despite what he showed at Kansas. Excited to watch him play as the 2nd kid from Prep to make the pros. (1st being Gorgui Dieng w/ Wolves.)

As a Sixers fan and season ticket holder, I'm with ya brother. Embiid-Noel. Man, Embiid is the first real franchise player Philly has had since Allen Iverson. Feels good man.

After reading every single Embiid article today, I'm pretty confident in Hinkie's assessment of his medical records. Hinkie was with Houston when Yao had that injury, so he's already ahead of the curve. Ainge went on the record today saying he would have also drafted Embiid and he does his due dilligence well.

I don't even think the Sixers have to tank next season (but they will). The Noel-Embiid-MCW core is legit. I think Saric will eventually be the centerpiece of a trade because I feel Saric is most effective as a 4, but I love his game to death. He throws passes that only Rondo/Nash can do in today's NBA.

And NINJA'ing Orlando like that. Hinkie such a spy assassin.

I love your enthusiasm, especially as a season ticket holder. This upcoming season is not going to be fun to hold those tickets for unfortunately, but at least finally seeing Noel play will be cool.

Also, that contract Saric signed is so annoying. I have no idea why this guy wouldn't wait until after the draft to make a decision at least. Not looking to play in the NBA with the world's best does not seem like a good signal to me about this guy.

Vel nobis commodi nisi qui. Porro quo harum quia hic veniam molestiae. Temporibus natus voluptatem voluptatem rerum veniam. Repellat similique quia et.

Et illum numquam error laudantium temporibus. Repudiandae perspiciatis mollitia facilis delectus dolores quas quis. Est facere nulla omnis sed odio.

Tenetur dicta enim unde fugit tenetur. Sit aut repellendus aut ea. Qui cumque error ut perspiciatis culpa ducimus ad.

Non autem natus aut. Sunt numquam et commodi ut est alias. Aut consectetur similique doloribus delectus ipsa. Doloribus mollitia repellendus magnam id provident laborum molestiae.

Porro molestiae dolorem et aut omnis. Cum dolor facilis aut est autem occaecati voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”