OpsDude:

Don't know why they released this before the new USNews came out, when its now 35% of their ranking.

Yeah seems a bit odd. Also interesting to see how low Stern is ranked. Will there ever going to be a solid / consistent 9 and 10 (some would argue Haas right now) beyond the M7+Tuck category? Fuqua seems to be getting there, and Yale SOM is creeping up as well...

Also has anyone ever seen a simple ranking that takes just the important quantitative factors into account? Basically, average starting salary, average additional comp, percent accepting offers at graduation / 3 months out, and maybe a qualitative measure like percent going to elite employers (MBB, Google, GS/MS, etc).

GlobeTF:

Also has anyone ever seen a simple ranking that takes just the important quantitative factors into account? Basically, average starting salary, average additional comp, percent accepting offers at graduation / 3 months out, and maybe a qualitative measure like percent going to elite employers (MBB, Google, GS/MS, etc).

Forbes's ranking is basically just an ROI calc.

FT's ranking isn't far off. It highly indexes on ROI and employment stats, with some weird stuff that changes year-to-year for good measure.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/5728ac98-7c7f-11e3-b514-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3KfS4KhCA

More generally, I'm glad to see so few posts hear. There is already a ranking battle raging a few threads over.

stayclassy

A question to everyone...

How important are these rankings to those who have went to the school and moved on?

For example, Yale jumped 5 spots.

Are people that graduated from Yale more excited, or discussing the rankings?

Or is this primarily for people going INTO graduate school?

NYU is one of the most overrated b-schools in the world along with LBS. Not surprised by this at all. For finance, it can't even come close to the M7+tuck, and in consulting it loses out to fuqua/ross/darden. And its presence in tech and startups is virtually non-existent.

Stern sucks. It's like a mechanical conveyor belt. Looking at the caliber of students on LinkedIn IG is clear that both LBS and Insead are the same. Non- US B Schools suck because you to a top ranked B School for that all American B school experience. You can't get that at European schools filled with Indian engineers. Same argument can be made for Stern and Columbia - you don't really get that American atmosphere because they are too urban with no sense of community and like LBS/Insead are filled with low caliber Latins. ( Nothing I hate in the world more than a lisp!). Ever wonder why loyalty to your alma mater is an uniquely American phenomenon - it's because of the campus experience. Stern/Columbia/LBS/Insead don't have that going for them. You just have to talk to a student of one of these schools to gauge their enthusiasm, which is basically zero.

You could make an argument that Oxford and Cambridge provide that campus atmosphere - but their rankings are abysmal.

Lol on the Yale/Jesus comment.

Lol on the comment about Stern's GMAT average. Clown! I would attend Darren/Fuqua any day over Stern.

Also, I am convinced that Brady is right about Booth - I mean he attends Wharton. At least the is no conflict of interest in what he's saying about Booth.

Agreed. I seriously looked at Stern, LBS, and INSEAD. I visited Stern and was horrified by what I saw. Basically no campus culture or life, students had an inferiority complex the size of Jupiter, no cohesive school culture, and the thought of being a second-class citizen in NYC where you are surrounded by alums of much more prestigious b-schools was a deal breaker for me.

LBS and INSEAD intrigued me, but both schools' job placements in finance were quite mediocre. I was also unimpressed with the student caliber. And no fucking way I'm living in one of the world's most expensive cities to attend a b-school filled with people who would kill their parents to attend a MBA business schools ">M7.

CBS has the weakest community, campus life, and alumni loyalty amongst any MBA business schools ">M7. Ask a CBS alum what they thought of the school and they will reply nonchalantly, "It was good." Ask a HBS alum about their experience, and the reaction is so passionate and effusive that you know they aren't faking it.

mbavsmfin:

Agreed. I seriously looked at Stern, LBS, and INSEAD. I visited Stern and was horrified by what I saw. Basically no campus culture or life, students had an inferiority complex the size of Jupiter, no cohesive school culture, and the thought of being a second-class citizen in NYC where you are surrounded by alums of much more prestigious b-schools was a deal breaker for me.

LBS and INSEAD intrigued me, but both schools' job placements in finance were quite mediocre. I was also unimpressed with the student caliber. And no fucking way I'm living in one of the world's most expensive cities to attend a b-school filled with people who would kill their parents to attend a MBA business schools ">M7.

CBS has the weakest community, campus life, and alumni loyalty amongst any MBA business schools ">M7. Ask a CBS alum what they thought of the school and they will reply nonchalantly, "It was good." Ask a HBS alum about their experience, and the reaction is so passionate and effusive that you know they aren't faking it.

Agreed with this, I think CBS is still far ahead of Stern in terms of culture (if that isn't an indictment of the latter I don't know what is), and they are trying to address this, but there is little hope of it approaching any of the traditional experience like that of HBS, Kellogg, Tuck, Sloan, etc. or even that of other urban programmes like Wharton and Booth.

I'm always surprised by these rankings and how much attention they get. At the end of the day I don't think anyone really cares, because the majority of people will apply to multiply schools anyway and see where they get in.

Plus it doesn't matter if Harvard drops fifty places in one year, they still will be perceived as the best business school in the world by the majority and that's what usually matters.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

OK guys...since I'm new here...let me have the final say in rankings. Doesn't matter what magazine publishes what ranking and how they do it...

US: Harvard, Stanford and Wharton Rest of world: INSEAD and London

In no particular order! These 5 schools are top - no matter what your background or your goals. You want to go into Finance - Wharton and London! Entrepreneurship - Harvard and Stanford! Consulting - INSEAD and London! Don't let the rankings tell you otherwise. Tech - Stanford! Consumer goods - Wharton! "I just wanna be a beast" - Harvard.

The rest of the schools are 2nd tier. I know Booth has been making a lot of noise, especially in the finance field, but it does not come close to what Wharton offers!

Prove me wrong @#$#@!

Hilariously wrong.

INSEAD is only good if you are being sponsored by a company in Europe. This is why INSEAD has great placement into MBB and PE in Europe. For those looking to break in, they lose out to MBA business schools ">M7 consistently.

LBS has suffered a lot due to the weak European economy and the London finance job market being horrendous. Even in London, MBA business schools ">M7 beats out LBS for the finance jobs.

In 5 years, the new ordering will be HBS/Stanford/Booth. CBS will be around 12-15.

Best Response
mbavsmfin:

Hilariously wrong.

INSEAD is only good if you are being sponsored by a company in Europe. This is why INSEAD has great placement into MBB and PE in Europe. For those looking to break in, they lose out to MBA business schools">M7 consistently.

LBS has suffered a lot due to the weak European economy and the London finance job market being horrendous. Even in London, MBA business schools">M7 beats out LBS for the finance jobs.

In 5 years, the new ordering will be HBS/Stanford/Booth. CBS will be around 12-15.

Are you saying it's hilariously wrong that you don't need mba for ibd associate position? I guess tbf virtually all the ibd associates I've seen ono linkedin were direct promotes or people who transitioned from big 4. Few examples of other industries to ibd.

Surely if you want to work in Europe it's best to stay close to the place where you want to work? Or are you saying someone is better off going to Duke etc doing SA in USA then trying to somehow FT into Europe with no contacts ? Rmb I'm talking about euro citizens with no american Visa

mbavsmfin:

Brady4MVP rankings, 2019:

1. HBS
  2. GSB
  3. HBS certificate program (any)
  4. Booth
  5. W
  6. Harvard Extension School (any program)
  7. HBS (waitlist)
  8. LBS
  9. CBS
  10. Stern

Another point on CBS. Glenn Hubbard has done a terrible job as dean. The guy doesn't even want the job; he's just biding his time until a Republican wins the White House, so he can get a high profile gig. Hubbard has not properly positioned the school for the new landscape, nor has he leveraged the school's strengths. Meanwhile, Snyder revolutionized Chicago Booth and put it on the trajectory to become the best school after HBS and Stanford. Leadership matters. CBS will pay the price for years to come.

thebrofessor:
masterg:

Everything mbavsmfin says is personal opinion about a school that he doesn't even go to. All he does is post 24/7 on some anonymous forum about why CBS is a terrible school. Get a life.

@Going Concern is this you?

Yeah it is, you got me. I have a few dozen usernames...though only 5-7 are certified. Sometimes there are entire threads where I'm just talking to myself back and forth.

Ipsa debitis distinctio porro ad. Maiores deleniti expedita asperiores eos.

Recusandae placeat ullam numquam ut et. Praesentium assumenda nisi excepturi voluptatum ad qui nam. Non enim aut eaque.

Provident voluptate saepe consectetur quia est. Est sed assumenda deserunt est reprehenderit ut dolor dolorem. Minima quidem quasi ut maxime harum.

Labore sint reprehenderit sit consectetur eaque nihil reprehenderit. Eos vero sunt ducimus rem. Voluptate voluptatem asperiores quae sapiente voluptas.

Ut sed ratione consequatur. Magni est est unde ex quis qui. Quia magni ut quo natus rerum cumque labore.

Et aliquam et accusamus voluptatem id officiis quod beatae. Ipsam ipsam enim omnis sint non optio. Nemo est et dignissimos voluptatem occaecati omnis amet.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”