2014 Salaries in Private Equity: IR/BD

Looking to do a potential lateral to do IR/BD work for an upper mm fund (think $750MM to $2B AUM).

Had a recruiter tell me someone with

Now, the egotistical and clueless 20 something year old in me wants to say I would earn ~$100k more in income over two years (if the stars align) in my current gig working the same hours (more like 10 hours a week less. So 45 in my current gig versus the 55+ I foresee in this gig) and for them to go and **** themselves. But, that's not forward thinking. As far as how I came up with the ~$100k number - it's complicated but possible in my current field. Think law of compound interest.

For some reason, I call b/s (seems low compared to my current situation, which is pretty good). So I don't want to compare apples to oranges. I'm just not desperate to leave [and will negotiate hard come potential interviews].

I'm just curious whether so many people would jump on board a stable $100k salary for 50 hours of work a week in NYC/San Fran/high col city (which is not that impressive - I'm making the money, so I can say it). While I am no special snowflake I'm not a fan of providing 'return on investment' to low ballers (anyone who's been round the block in finance knows what I'm talking about).

Any one know of salaries in these fields? I know you can't really group IR and BD together, but a break down of both would be helpful to.

NOTE: I will give away 5 SBs to the first five good comments.

All I have is ...
"Sure, you can still make it to the $150 – $200K+ range, but you won’t do it in only a few years as you might in banking or PE."MI

Of course, the trade-off is that your lifestyle is more controlled and you’re dealing with far less stress.

http://www.wbjournal.com/article/20100519/NEWS01/305199999

Best Response

It's tempting to go for the high paying, high prestige job because everyone else is doing. There is an innate pressure, and I think it's a good thing to have as long as you can channel it to something positive.

I don't know the breakdown of IR and BD, but in your first year of banking, you will probably break $100k in total compensation (base, signing bonus, performance bonus). But the more important question is where you'd like to end up. And it's okay if your answer is "to make as much money as possible," but you have to think about sustainability. How many people stay in banking and PE for long term? Are you okay with the turnover rates?

In addition, the trade off between 50 hr weeks and 100 hr weeks is very significant. Even 80 hrs a week implies that, if you work 14 hrs a work day, you still have to work 10 hrs on the weekend. Is there something in your life that you like to spend a lot of time doing? Would you be okay with sacrificing that?

Take a look around WSO about threads on earning less and working less. You will be surprised as to how many people say they would take the 100k for 50 hrs a week.

This is not a bad thing to think about, and feel free to ask me any questions either on this string or through PM.

--Death, lighter than a feather; duty, heavier than a mountain

adding to brokencircle13 - you have to be okay with the hours for the rest of your life, not necessarily just for a year or two of grinding it out; there is no 9-5 in high finance, and you have to really enjoy what you do - it's not for everyone

you can definitely live on 100k in a high col city - plenty of ppl do on less (single of course) - just don't be stupid and blow all your money on alcohol, though herd mentality will dictate otherwise. all about budgeting and money mgmt

forecasting future salary is ridiculous - everyone extrapolates an exponential rise due to a good bonus year or unrealistic projections/growth rates. In reality, you have to be okay with the possibility of little to no bonus and factor that in as well.

speed boost blaze

I can shed a little light on this. Your intuitions are correct, you will make more at your current gig. The suitor is not lowballing you, PE does not pay lights out for juniors, they don't need to, and pay is very concentrated at the top.

If you are not desperate to leave, do not leave. Use your offers as leverage to negotiate for higher salary at current gig. Once you see a promotion etc., reevaluate your situation in 1 or 2 years. Why? You'll make more money short term, and can jump to associate at current gig, and maybe get a second promotion once you lateral. You'll end up maximizing your value by holding out.

Source: Currently in a similar situation, just on the other side of the coin.

Hope this helps - follow your gut.

Et nihil minus est iste molestiae soluta. Et sit cupiditate ut non nesciunt cupiditate aut. Assumenda adipisci odit voluptas debitis. Temporibus veritatis quia debitis sint est repellat. Blanditiis eaque voluptatem ea quisquam consequatur architecto. Perferendis vel asperiores deleniti. Quo provident voluptas quam.

Recusandae reprehenderit quia quibusdam modi earum sunt. Corrupti doloribus esse et consequuntur. Aperiam cumque at nihil et nemo quia cumque. Ex et possimus eos reprehenderit. Vel quaerat et explicabo quia voluptatem nemo molestias. Eos esse sapiente sed ratione repellat minus.

Saepe molestias ut voluptatibus et tenetur suscipit neque. Doloribus nulla sit ut enim nobis debitis beatae. Minima dolorem voluptatibus totam eius quia nisi sequi incidunt. Sapiente voluptatem error et expedita soluta.

Sunt quod nisi excepturi quia libero. Quo non delectus rerum. Odit quam reprehenderit velit rerum exercitationem recusandae. Occaecati quidem ea tempora a optio. Deserunt exercitationem veritatis minima ipsa rerum enim ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”