2015 Analyst Salary Bump Megathread

Let's try to keep a running list going as people go through full-time recruiting and even starting for internships next year. The following list is just from people I know personally. Feel free to expand in the comments.

Confirmed pay jump:
Goldman
Credit Suisse
Wells Fargo
Morgan Stanley
Lazard
Perella Weinberg
JPM
Citi
UBS
Deutsche Bank
Houlihan Lokey
Barclays
Macquarie

"In talks"
Evercore

Confirmed NOT upping pay:
Greenhill
Stifel

Unverified/no consensus:
BAML

Also, if anyone has any info on if the salary increase for a particular bank is just IBD, IBD + S&T, IBD + S&T + ER, etc. that'd be very helpful.

Edit:
MS confirmed
BAML unconfirmed
JPM and Citi moved to the doghouse
Eurobanks (except you CS, we love you) moved to doghouse
JPM, Citi, Lazard, PWP, UBS added
Barclays moved to no consensus
DB made the move (finally)
Barclays confirmed

new_analyst1:

MS is confirmed upping to 85. Not sure where you got your info from.

One of their SAs a couple weeks ago told me HR made it clear to them all that MS wouldn't be following the other banks with analyst pay. Then MS confirmed it and made a statement that they were bumping Associate and VP pay, but not analyst pay. I guess they eventually caved with the analysts though? When did that happen and what's your source?

Just FYI it went like this:

MS upped Associate and VP Pay but not analysts Some banks responded by upping Associate and VP pay (inc. GS) GS had to take the lead back so they then upped analyst pay Some banks responded by upping Analyst pay (inc. MS)

Like other posters mentioned though, pretty safe bet all BBs will follow. EBs already had higher bases so not sure how that could play out.

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

Anonymoose:

Could someone please comment on whether this is just for IBD or for other analysts as well?

I'm doing S&T at one of the banks you have listed under "in talks" and one of my buddies is starting FT S&T right now and he thinks we will definitely get the raise but I would like some other insights.

This is hard for me to know since I know very few people in S&T, but I know BAML did it for both S&T and IBD, and I'm imagining most others did as well to prevent the classic IBD-S&T animosity. Your friend is definitely SOL though if he just started full-time. No bank is retroactively upping those guys' pay to my knowledge - it's for the next year's class.

user39:
Anonymoose:

Could someone please comment on whether this is just for IBD or for other analysts as well?

I'm doing S&T at one of the banks you have listed under "in talks" and one of my buddies is starting FT S&T right now and he thinks we will definitely get the raise but I would like some other insights.

This is hard for me to know since I know very few people in S&T, but I know BAML did it for both S&T and IBD, and I'm imagining most others did as well to prevent the classic IBD-S&T animosity. Your friend is definitely SOL though if he just started full-time. No bank is retroactively upping those guys' pay to my knowledge - it's for the next year's class.

Does this include corporate bankers and the corporate underwriting team (credit risk)?

TNA:

Dude, every bank is going to follow suit. Pay at the junior level is largely similar. Any bank that doesn't follow suit will see a massive drain of talent.

You might be happy putting your faith in the "is going to" gods, but I for one prefer to trust the "already has" doctrine when considering my options for full-time.

user39:
TNA:

Dude, every bank is going to follow suit. Pay at the junior level is largely similar. Any bank that doesn't follow suit will see a massive drain of talent.

You might be happy putting your faith in the "is going to" gods, but I for one prefer to trust the "already has" doctrine when considering my options for full-time.

Look, no offense, but If you're so short sighted and know so little about this industry that you'd make a decision because of a 15K difference in first year salary (not even total comp, just salary) my guess is you aren't going to have many options for full-time.

Best Response
user39:
TNA:

This sounded so nerdy / finance douchey I couldn't help but laugh.

user39:
TNA:

motherfucking douchebag

I have heard that JPM, BAML, Barclays, and Citi have NOT offered the 2015 analyst class 85k in their offer letters. Multiple friends in the 2015 analyst class going to GS, WF, MS, and CS have confirmed 85k in their offer letters.

If anyone can confirm (the offer letter states 85k) from the banks that have not confirmed (not put 85k in the offer letter), please post.

Luxe:

I have heard that JPM, BAML, Barclays, and Citi have NOT offered the 2015 analyst class 85k in their offer letters. Multiple friends in the 2015 analyst class going to GS, WF, MS, and CS have confirmed 85k in their offer letters.

If anyone can confirm (the offer letter states 85k) from the banks that have not confirmed (not put 85k in the offer letter), please post.

BAML actually has bumped up the pay to 85k. As of Friday, UBS has bumped the pay to 85k as well. The only BB's that haven't bumped as of yet are JPM, Barclays, Citi and DB

Is there anyway you can use this to negotiate? (ie: offer from MS but prefer group at JPM). My initial guess is no, but is worth a try?

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

TheTwoHacker:

Do you guys think this will have an effect on post-mba associates also?

I mean this should ripple to consulting and tech also right? They compete for the same talent these days

Banks made this move to lure top candidates away from consulting & tech. It'll be interesting to see consulting & tech's response. It could potentially be a vicious circle.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

Going Concern:

For those of you who aren't aware, GSM is one of the SB's (superior boutiques). They do advisory for all of the other investment banks, so they get fees on fees. It's very lucrative. Unfortunately their NY office is only analysts and a few LFJ's (large floppy johnsons), everyone else works out of Bangalore.

I had heard they were opening a new office in Botswana but that may have been a rumor. Also heard bonus pools were 250/300/350k.

"When you stop striving for perfection, you might as well be dead."

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/finance/going-concern>Going Concern</a></span>:

Piper Jaffries is at 95k. Confirmed.

Heard GS TMT analysts left to join Piper.

FiveDollars:
oLookAbear:

do these base raises mean bonuses are reduced?

This is an interesting question. Anyone who knows?

I doubt there are many people who know that are on this website. Most have probably heard their managers say it isn't coming out of bonuses but I'll believe it when I see it. Relatively down year, wouldn't be surprised to see some justify lower bonuses with higher salaries, but that will come down to the top BB banks. Whatever they do, as we've seen with this, will determine how the rest of the street reacts.

That said, I'd rather have the higher salary with a lower bonus but it'll be interesting to see what happens with people leaving now. Less incentive to stay for the bonus if it isn't as big.

There's no confirmation Stifel will not increase pay. Rumor has it they will follow suit. They've made a bunch of acquisitions recently and are trying to re-brand as a "premier" middle market firm. Premier middle market firms pay street

What does this mean for current analysts? Does it cascade across current 1st, 2nd and 3rd years at some point?

Also does anyone see this going beyond S&T and IBD? As far as I know, most BB's pay Ops ~55k and MO(risk, finance, etc.) ~65k. Does that mean that middle and back office positions will have a 30k/20k discount to IBD and S&T?

Macro1:

Can anyone confirm if this applies to associates and VPs and if it's also a 20-25% bump?

Me and my fellow, soon to be, BB IB associates will be at $125k salary come next year. I'm pretty sure this is bumped up from last year. I remember the second year MBA guys say they were closer to $100k last year.

I don't know about VPs.

watwatd:

Looks like no MM pay bump

I'll be looking to lateral if not. Why would I be satisfied being a 2nd year analyst with the same skill set as analysts at other firms being paid less than an incoming 1st year analyst who has little to no skill set? It would even make more sense to move to a pay-bumped firm as an Analyst-1 (i.e. take a year back for the $85 vs. $80) then it would to stay on as a 2nd year with no bump. I also know that I'm personally loyal to the $$ and that there may be other reasons 2nd year analysts stay put come next summer. Just my thoughts.

"The Premier Middle Market Investment Bank" is what they're trying to re-brand themselves as according to friends of mine. Given all of their recent acquisitions, it would most certainly be a step back not to bump pay. No "Premier" firm will pay below street.

Any perspective on the London offices? I have a contract in front of me which still pays the regular GBP45k. Any rumours or knowledge of potential pay bumps? Is it ok to ask the company directly whether they plan to bump pay or shouldn't you do that as long as you haven't signed anything? Thanks guys.

therealweinstein:

Any CONFIRMED word on the middle market (both BB-esque and pure MM) banks?
Can anyone in the know please provide some insight?

Wells Fargo
Jefferies
RBC Capital Markets
Harris Williams
Houlihan Lokey
William Blair
Piper Jaffray
Stifel
Lincoln International
Baird
Duff & Phelps

Thanks!

Look at my previous post a couple above yours. Piper confirmed.

Do we have anyone in London that has been upped?

US guys, you shouldn't worry. If 1-2 banks raise, all will follow just a matter of time. I am just worried that none in London has been upped.

The surest way to make a monkey of a man is to quote him.

Whats the content of your confirmation? I am currently employed at a BB in London and so far none has even mentioned the pay rise, not to mention that we haven't received any updated contracts nor the fact that incoming analysts still have 45k on their offers.

The surest way to make a monkey of a man is to quote him.

Effective January 1st 2015 for my BB. Though we won't see it reflected on paycheck until Feb 15th pay day (15/30 pay cycle). I heard Feb 15 will be higher than the rest as it will compensate you for the missed Jan 15 & Jan 30 pay day.

Also, heard structure will be 85/95/105k. 2nd years will see their pay go up.

Anyone have any clue how this will affect bonus? Thanks!

Est consectetur sit aspernatur et atque. Sit ea quia nostrum et nobis maiores. Pariatur dolor maiores occaecati natus consequatur alias.

Quae et consequatur nesciunt. Mollitia quis non eveniet quibusdam nisi corporis tenetur. Accusantium illo ullam quos.

Placeat dolorem repellat eum officia. Consequatur dolorem voluptatibus et et sunt ipsum. Expedita nam aut repudiandae provident. Aliquid possimus maxime fugit voluptas voluptatem mollitia eligendi. Repellendus maxime aliquid odit. Vel enim cum quibusdam voluptatem ratione quas. At quia facilis doloremque rerum quia.

Iure voluptatem voluptatum saepe quam nemo qui expedita. Et neque ab similique ipsa. Rerum et consequatur est inventore cupiditate dolor.

In ea accusantium assumenda quae corrupti sed. Ipsa quaerat ipsam autem nostrum at rem. Pariatur praesentium autem rem autem saepe voluptates ullam. Aut suscipit perferendis quibusdam.

Nemo magni commodi omnis excepturi. Repellat distinctio error reprehenderit rerum. Quidem atque aliquid repudiandae magnam est.

Vel nesciunt ex asperiores sit in ut repudiandae. Aperiam sit eligendi aut nesciunt sapiente. Ex iste et harum. Quam soluta distinctio deleniti nisi omnis voluptate quia sint.

Saepe neque aut quos neque. Quia vero sint dolorem optio. Qui veritatis aut laboriosam laboriosam.

Ab rerum corporis veniam nesciunt impedit quae aut. Non quia qui praesentium perspiciatis perspiciatis. Facilis quas nihil excepturi ullam. Ea tenetur temporibus consequatur reprehenderit. Voluptatem voluptas magnam voluptatem.

Corrupti totam sed repellendus sint commodi amet. Repellendus nobis ipsam corporis. Et fugit vel quo atque. Aliquam ut sint quod exercitationem alias nisi.

Corrupti ut officiis et officiis enim provident delectus. Magnam laboriosam veritatis exercitationem itaque. Et doloremque similique dolor natus sed molestias perferendis. Ullam saepe delectus nam ut. Ea exercitationem iste nobis.

Sint dolores sit optio tenetur. Ut facere aliquam aut quo exercitationem natus. Atque molestias provident iste aut laboriosam rerum ullam. Veritatis culpa qui temporibus et assumenda et est.

Eligendi eos eaque quam libero nihil molestias quisquam. Voluptatem voluptatibus commodi officia ea. Est velit adipisci cum suscipit. Voluptates ea omnis voluptate enim quidem reiciendis iste.

Non accusantium expedita asperiores asperiores tempora temporibus quibusdam. Rerum totam culpa enim aut. Ratione iure accusantium eos esse.

Voluptas sit officiis reiciendis sint quia et. Est totam rerum dicta iure tempore debitis dolor facilis.

Modi exercitationem voluptatem id. Voluptas ut distinctio animi ratione qui dolor dolorem. In culpa iste sit et quas dolores aut facere.

Magnam et rem non voluptatum doloremque dicta vitae et. Quis cumque quo corrupti aliquam dolorem nulla nemo.

Iste repellat eveniet rerum odit eum et. Nam porro perferendis ea aut sunt sed. Quo accusantium molestiae est iste.

Minima aliquid est quisquam repellat deserunt. Est aperiam nihil recusandae qui aut aut sint. Voluptatem sequi unde quam neque dolorem. Eos quis id sapiente nulla quia vel tempora. Est autem voluptatem molestiae ipsam fugiat nihil. Et nam incidunt expedita fugit nulla.

Animi impedit dolor a. Distinctio asperiores animi excepturi distinctio vel quis.

Facere tenetur nihil est ipsam tempore. Sit odit doloremque veritatis dolor. Maxime exercitationem est magnam velit fugit eum et. Temporibus error ex quo corrupti nesciunt dolorem soluta. Ipsa quis esse dolor nobis laboriosam in. Qui rerum eum iste quaerat illo.

Voluptatibus unde sit ratione nostrum non. Inventore quae et iste ipsum autem. Expedita distinctio vel et iste alias recusandae deleniti exercitationem. Perspiciatis voluptas occaecati sunt. Id unde sed alias quaerat commodi omnis iusto mollitia. Voluptatibus perspiciatis in provident et praesentium odio sunt. Corrupti ex distinctio provident omnis voluptates dolor veritatis. Velit facilis et minima modi voluptatem dignissimos suscipit temporibus.

Dicta rerum eos quas mollitia aperiam earum. Voluptates consequatur dolorum et quod. Consectetur magnam est omnis esse commodi occaecati quas. Aut odio tempora est qui autem accusantium voluptatem.

Ut consectetur unde natus a id. Libero est sint omnis omnis nisi reiciendis explicabo accusantium. Qui eos sit id deleniti aut. A modi qui accusantium est harum nemo alias.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”