rpc:

There have been a handful of attempts to get a bonus thread started, of little avail. Either, analysts haven't been told their number yet (unlikely in most cases as they'll be paid on 7/31), or people don't feel comfortable posting the number online (myself included). The numbers are good this year, probably better than what most are imagining.

Numbers are good, it's just that not all banks are paying their analysts on the 31st. 1st year BB here - we're receiving our bonuses on Aug. 15th. We got our numbers only yesterday.

Why are people afraid to post their numbers? Are they really that paranoid that HR is going to be casually browsing WSO and somehow take offense that a random anonymous person made a completely factual statement they're completely within their right to disclose? Embarrassing how badly some of you are whipped.

user39:

Why are people afraid to post their numbers? Are they really that paranoid that HR is going to be casually browsing WSO and somehow take offense that a random anonymous person made a completely factual statement they're completely within their right to disclose? Embarrassing how badly some of you are whipped.

Or we just don't care to post them. I have the range of my entire group. Doesn't mean you're entitled to see the numbers. Relax kid.

DiggsRTC:
user39:

Or we just don't care to post them. I have the range of my entire group. Doesn't mean you're entitled to see the numbers. Relax kid.

Then why are you on this site posting in this thread if you don't want to contribute anything and just feel like swinging your dick around? Seems like a waste of everyone's time.

DiggsRTC:
user39:

lol stfu you are a pathetic first year analyst. You were probably bottom bucket too.

Or the some of the tiers are extremely slim (3/less than 10% got into the top bucket for 1st years). Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error does it? So if I come on, post what top bucket is for 1st and 2nd year analysts, then it doesn't take much imagination to narrow down which firm I work at, or even who I am. Then that now limits the type and amount of information I can post going forward. FYI - your comment about HR not trolling WSO is naive, they're not on our scouring through each post, although they do browse through looking for material to red flag. Also 2 VPs in our group, + most of the junior bankers are all get on here frequently.

Alright, I'm done being a lurker. I'll post this in good faith hoping that others will participate and make this thread useful again.

Confirmed GS 2nd year top bucket $85K-$90K, with 1st year ~$10k below that.

Curious to see if that is in line with other BB and the rest of the street.

Best Response

JPM (top bucket): 1st yr 80k (155k all in) 2nd yr 90k (175k all in)

Qatalyst (not top bucket): 1st yr 80k (175k all in) 2nd yr 100k (205k all in)

Rothschild (top bucket): not a spectacular year for Roths, friends over there are talking about jumping since pretty much all T1 BB's are looking for laterals... 1st yr 75k (145k all in) 2nd yr 85k (165k all in)

Have heard JEF was way below street. Heard numbers in the 40's for 1st years. JEF tends to have much smaller bands like $5k each so wouldnt expect a lot... this was from HC so typically a better group that historically was paid higher or at least had a separate bonus pool... Assuming JEF just kept total comp the same after the $15k bump.

Full disclosure: I dont work @ JEF. Just have spoken to a number of analysts there.

It all depends on the group. Look up percentages historically though. They don't change that drastically if the market hasn't.

Speculation on the street:

"I heard the janitor at GS even makes 100k a year so I'm assuming like a million..."

Interested to learn how bonuses will change across the street, if at all, because of increase in base salary.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

Mergers & Incquisitions publishes a report on expected bonuses in May.

I'm hoping for a nice 3rd year bonus as I transition out. Thankfully my firm has a great reputation for not dinging the bonuses of departing analysts (unless you leave on bad terms).

A lot of banks are paying 85 to the current class and retro-ing everyone to Jan 1. Also interested to see what happens with bonuses. there are basically 3 scenarios.

1: Bonus stays flat as a $ amount and all-in comp goes up by the base raise 2: Bonus stays flat as a % of base and all-in comp goes up 3: All-in comp stays flat and its just a shift of comp from variable to fixed

Ive heard all variations of the above. Its in the banks best interest to have it be 3 but realistically I think it will be 1 or 2. Not as many top kids want to do banking anymore, and now that the TOP kids can go directly to PE there is less incentive to do banking at all. Also, all-in comp has yet to recover to pre-2007 highs so at some point they will have to actually give people a raise, or there will just be more kids leaving.

hardlyworking:

You're aware that most banks are now on a calendar system, aka paying out stubs to first years.

Your question really only applies to non-first years, and if you get a terrible bonus at that point, you should probably leave the industry as your time is likely limited in it, whether you control your departure or not.

Really? I've only heard of this in the context of A-to-As, not first year analysts. So are departing analysts getting a "stub" bonus on exit, or are they just not getting a bonus at all? Seems like a horrible way to attract talent.

Our new incoming analysts are starting at $85k this summer whereas we started last summer at $70k. Not sure about all the banks, but know that DB and Jefferies also increased their pay for both incoming and current first-years and another WSO topic shows many other banks did as well.

I think your rationale makes sense. Could have something to do with the fact that first-years might still be getting paid like first-years until June, where they unofficially become second-years. Historically, second years at my bank made $20k more, and third years made $40k more in bonus. So, analysts who were placed on calendar year who started in summer 2014 are now considered second year analysts on the books, but the program ends in summer 2017 so they're not really second years yet. Thus, the pay difference would be a reduction to the tune of about half of the $20k increase that second years get, so, $10k.

If that makes any sense at all. At this point it may just be a wait and see, but wasn't sure if anyone heard anything.

I can only speak for Germany (Interned at US BB, think GS/MS, in Frankfurt this spring) and the 2014 Analyst Class had the same base as the 2015 Analyst Class = 65€k, so no step up in pay.

Bonuses for 1st-years were paid on a pro-rata base, so that was a 15€k bonus at the firm I interned, paid in January/February.

Since it's only a few months after joining, there is also no tiers, so every 1st-year made the same.

Don't know much about other banks, but at least base pay (65€k) and sign-on (7-8€k) are extremely similar amongst the BBs.

Anyone starting to get numbers from their respective banks yet? I'm on pins an needles. I see there being 3 scenarios

A) Best case: they keep bonuses as the same % of base and we get ~85k bonuses

B) they keep bonuses the same $ so our overall is up 15k from the bump in base

C) they take money out of the bonus so overall $ stays the same and it's shifting variable to fixed.

A is obviously the best. B is probably realistic. I strongly doubt it's C considering what's going on in the industry right now and the fact they can't get kids to stay.

DaBBzMan:

Anyone starting to get numbers from their respective banks yet? I'm on pins an needles. I see there being 3 scenarios

A) Best case: they keep bonuses as the same % of base and we get ~85k bonuses

B) they keep bonuses the same $ so our overall is up 15k from the bump in base

C) they take money out of the bonus so overall $ stays the same and it's shifting variable to fixed.

A is obviously the best. B is probably realistic. I strongly doubt it's C considering what's going on in the industry right now and the fact they can't get kids to stay.

It's probably C. Multiple banks communicated total comp will not change because of base increase

You guys are out of your minds. First of all only 2 quarters gone and 4Q is a very important quarter. Some banks have had a good year so far but mainly off of a few jumbo deals (which will go to a few not all). Finally, compare revenues at your division YoY rather than your group or the street to get an idea.

I'm sure this year will be fine but it's not exactly raining money.

Where are the million Dollar (or literally speaking, the $300k+) iBankers on WSO, some one please post their W-2 or get me some stats on how many of the regular 100k range sheep actually get there in under 3-5 years.. never seen one of those in real life except a handful. Only heard stories beyond that.. can't really tell from the looks of the guy, everyone down to the guy that makes $60k dresses up in a suit. So much fluff.

what 300k+ are you looking for? The all in comp numbers from last year are available in past threads.

SHORTmyCDO:

I'm an associate but heard from my analysts that the range was 45-75 at our BB. Think very few got 75 and prob most are at 55/65. Looks like overall comp has gone up. Hope this trend continues for everyone else

How bad did you have to be to get $45k, or is that the "We want you to fire you, but don't want to pay severance" number?

Top middle-market M&A, 3rd year analyst, top bucket: $90k bonus and $180k all-in cash comp (also received an additional $8k through profit sharing and 401k match)

All-in comp was slightly up, but I was a little disappointed in the bonus number given how busy we were (record year).

Oh well, onto PE! So far the grass is much greener! :)

Veniam voluptas voluptatem doloremque quia est. Dolores labore quaerat quae accusantium sit voluptas. Tempora dolor nihil optio. Doloremque molestias ducimus quia.

Optio id explicabo sit quis dicta. Voluptates eveniet eum delectus. A quia et velit quod iusto deserunt. In ut eum eligendi. Quasi officiis itaque enim laboriosam omnis sed in.

Dicta aut quas cupiditate doloribus odio amet laboriosam. Velit et amet aspernatur. Dolore voluptas ex id quisquam id aut consequatur. Commodi et quos vitae voluptatum placeat aspernatur hic dolores. Aut facilis ut voluptas itaque. Ullam ut dicta ea commodi est distinctio.

Maxime cupiditate cum delectus aut. Non et magni ab earum sint.

Atque accusantium sint est quidem. Temporibus temporibus recusandae maxime quibusdam doloribus. Repellendus qui impedit impedit. Exercitationem ipsum molestiae libero quia cum enim quo voluptate. Sed iusto aspernatur enim ab.

Ratione aut eveniet sed aut et nulla. Consequatur aut ducimus omnis expedita molestiae laudantium architecto. Et et consequatur et. Non beatae a et excepturi quibusdam blanditiis consequatur at.

Architecto quasi repellendus fuga repellat. Adipisci dolore consequatur blanditiis corporis vel eum. Quia sit ea ab ut. Omnis aspernatur quasi earum est atque consequatur. Reprehenderit odio laborum ut nihil illo nisi voluptatem. Sapiente in quos quos aspernatur odio a. Et laboriosam ut sit nostrum rerum.

Ea sed ut error fuga accusantium quas ab esse. Accusamus deleniti autem sed non voluptatem veniam. Consequatur voluptates nulla qui voluptates quisquam animi illo. Ut aut commodi illo officia repudiandae.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

Maxime dicta eos assumenda modi repudiandae. Quia atque quam nisi officia numquam. Animi omnis nobis id.

Delectus facere fugiat animi neque quas. Fuga aut et delectus dolorem nihil voluptas voluptate. Sunt veniam consequatur aut illum ea deserunt aperiam libero.

Earum dolor id dolorem. Praesentium sapiente enim et et. Sequi eum recusandae blanditiis ut. Voluptatem sint deleniti velit sint et ratione architecto et. Natus dicta consectetur aut cum et. Vitae placeat optio id accusantium non. Amet exercitationem voluptas impedit consectetur.

Modi sit quos itaque deleniti molestiae molestias suscipit. Quod omnis commodi ipsa itaque. Optio delectus nemo quod est. Nesciunt rerum et qui sit adipisci aut debitis. Est minus qui est culpa et est reprehenderit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
pudding's picture
pudding
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”