Bonuses for Investment Banking 2017

How are bonuses looking this year? Sounds like Deutsche got hammered and Morgan Stanley was down 15%.

Mod Note: You can find the S&T and ER bonus pages below.
S&T Bonuses
ER Bonuses

Overview of Bonuses for Investment Bankers

While salaries and bonuses can change every year on Wall Street, you can stay up to date with the Wall Street Oasis Industry Report. You can see a snip of the details provided in the report below.

User @MiddleMarketLivesMatter", a sales and trading vice president, also shared the following insight.

MiddleMarketLivesMatter - Sales and Trading Vice President:
Middle Market Shop bonuses are looking exceptional. It's where the real money is in this new economy. Left a BB three years ago and have seen bigger bonuses every year.

Read More About Bonuses on WSO

Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?

The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.

Investment Banking Interview Course Here

Bonus pools seem to be down 10-15% across the Street. For junior bankers, the key is how much of that MDs will absorb.

MS certainly had more of it fall on analysts and associates from what I've heard. Citi seems to have shifted more of it to MDs (i.e the numbers I've heard for associates actually seem flat to even up relative to last year).

No European banks have given numbers yet, including DB. There are rumors about DB possibly not giving cash bonuses at all, or only giving to 10% of employees, but nothing has been communicated at any of the non-US banks.

Expected, no?

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

SHORTmyCDO:

Baml Top - A1 -$140 bonus; $290 all in, A2-$180 bonus, $355 all in; A3 - $235 bonus, $435 all in. All those figures include 20% deferred stock in the bonus figure.

That's crazy how huge the difference is between top bucket and middle. I have friends at BAML who were mid bucket or slightly above A2 and A3 and their total comp were 275-320 and 360 all-in. Sounds like very very few people got top bucket.

Not sure if there is a thread for TECH bonuses.

My numbers are below: Level - Associate (L2/L3)

Base - up 12% YoY Bonus - up 128% YoY (yes, that is not a typo, tells you how low my last year's bonus was).

This is for GS.

Cheers, Rick.

As you might expect, this varies.

I know of few L2/L3 associates who were flat, few were down 3-6% overall, and only one who got his values similar to mine above. Of Analysts L2, most of the folks I knew were up (not sure of % points), but almost all of them were up a few %. Again, this is only in TECH.

While I do know some folks in other divisions, I'm not aware of their comp info.

Someone needs to summarize this like last year. By now everyone should have gotten comp except for CS and DB

DB juniors are being very shielded, compared to the rest of the firm, from what I am hearing as as a headhunter. Comparative to most of the firm, they're crushing it. Fairly in line with street, obviously a bit below but to me this is most indicative that the firm intends to move back up the comp chain, and they've been giving the largest base salary increases across the board for analysts and associates. From what I remember, for most of this century DB has the spot to be for comp - this seems like their strategy is to get back to that status, bodes well for everyone in the shop if they can make it happen.

DB IB (very clear they're taking care of the groups they're focusing on building long-term, the others not so much, base salary % increases much lower than markets across the board - which is interesting).

Analyst 1 - 20k stub Analyst 2 - 40k - 75k Analyst 3 - 45k - 85k Associate 1 - 60k -100k Associate 2 - 75k - 140k

DB Markets (big differences between fixed income and equities, they're coming in above street in a lot of what I'm seeing for fixed income, seeing very wide ranges - highly product dependent. Also, a lot of those with low bonus numbers are reporting 15-20% + base increases, balancing it out).

Analyst 1 - 20 - 25k stub (non-equities seems to be getting an extra 5) Analyst 2 - 20 - 60k Analyst 3 - 27k - 90k Associate 1 - 30k - 110k Associate 2 - 55k - 150k

Interesting seeing how much people tend to value additional base versus bonus, although from other experience that value-edge tends to taper off at around 200k base.

Keep in mind my ranges are controlled for outliers (not putting my guys at risk), and are based on only what I'm seeing.

r08ge:

DB juniors are being very shielded, compared to the rest of the firm, from what I am hearing as as a headhunter. Comparative to most of the firm, they're crushing it. Fairly in line with street, obviously a bit below but to me this is most indicative that the firm intends to move back up the comp chain, and they've been giving the largest base salary increases across the board for analysts and associates. From what I remember, for most of this century DB has the spot to be for comp - this seems like their strategy is to get back to that status, bodes well for everyone in the shop if they can make it happen.

DB IB (very clear they're taking care of the groups they're focusing on building long-term, the others not so much, base salary % increases much lower than markets across the board - which is interesting).

Analyst 1 - 20k stub
Analyst 2 - 40k - 75k
Analyst 3 - 45k - 85k
Associate 1 - 60k -100k
Associate 2 - 75k - 140k

DB Markets (big differences between fixed income and equities, they're coming in above street in a lot of what I'm seeing for fixed income, seeing very wide ranges - highly product dependent. Also, a lot of those with low bonus numbers are reporting 15-20% + base increases, balancing it out).

Analyst 1 - 20 - 25k stub (non-equities seems to be getting an extra 5)
Analyst 2 - 20 - 60k
Analyst 3 - 27k - 90k
Associate 1 - 30k - 110k
Associate 2 - 55k - 150k

Interesting seeing how much people tend to value additional base versus bonus, although from other experience that value-edge tends to taper off at around 200k base.

Keep in mind my ranges are controlled for outliers (not putting my guys at risk), and are based on only what I'm seeing.

r08ge:

Analyst 1 - 20k stub
Analyst 2 - 40k - 75k
Analyst 3 - 45k - 85k
Associate 1 - 60k -100k
Associate 2 - 75k - 140k

Analyst 1 - 20 - 25k stub (non-equities seems to be getting an extra 5)
Analyst 2 - 20 - 60k
Analyst 3 - 27k - 90k
Associate 1 - 30k - 110k
Associate 2 - 55k - 150k

You're saying DB is increasing Associate 2 base for some people from $175k to as much as $315k--which is higher than VP3 salary across the Street? I get that this is in lieu of bonus but this makes absolutely no sense unless this is going with $0 bonus with this---and they'll still have retention problems b/c people's comp will be paid throughout the year and they will not be missing on any deferred comp or bonus to leave. The play here would be to take your ridiculous base salary for 6 months and then flip ovrer to another bank and get a fully year mid bucket bonus there. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I'm highly skeptical of what you lay out.

DB junior numbers out. Using $$$ to keep junior level happy, but won't stop exodus once figures hit bank accounts. Can only speak to analyst level: N1: 25k stub
N2: general range of 55k-85k, bit higher or tighter depending on group. N3: cannot confirm range, but have generally heard 90+, This may be because those with good numbers tend to be more vocal

Everyone also got a group based bonus, depending on whether their group hit KPIs. This translates to upwards of ~2.5k for 1st years, ~6.5k for 2nd years, and ~8k for 3rd years, in addition to their individual variable comp.

Minus eos dolores enim ullam sunt. Voluptatem esse fugiat consequatur nihil. Qui beatae pariatur et animi atque molestiae.

Quasi ex et sint. Culpa a aut omnis animi temporibus qui. Distinctio consequatur quisquam ad molestiae eum. Distinctio cumque voluptatem numquam fuga natus aliquam eveniet. Ut molestias optio aut. Ut distinctio ut consequuntur.

Quas modi voluptates voluptatem tempore. Id quo ea voluptatem ullam omnis est. Eveniet iste numquam ipsa quis quia. Rerum nostrum ullam veniam architecto delectus reiciendis.

Nesciunt non ullam inventore nam. Esse veniam doloremque sed. Harum qui dolores eius velit qui omnis et. Nobis sint quae voluptas dolorum ut. Est et sunt nulla voluptates inventore beatae.

Est aut unde sequi et. Earum dolorem quaerat consequatur tempore neque est ipsam. Non porro repudiandae quod. Sit molestias facilis aut et aut. Voluptas fuga est maiores itaque culpa. Ipsum ut totam sapiente. Dolores dolor sed aut placeat quia dolore a.

Nam et quis et qui veritatis corrupti. Nihil laborum sapiente dignissimos labore quisquam voluptate. Vero temporibus vitae ut perferendis. Ab aliquam qui et accusantium porro pariatur.

Quam cupiditate voluptas asperiores voluptatem. Ad tenetur qui qui porro in amet. Inventore in non nihil nesciunt vitae.

Rerum quas beatae aut repellendus dolores nulla illum asperiores. Quis cupiditate facere ad odit blanditiis. Saepe vel corrupti eligendi aut. Occaecati et nihil voluptatem dolorum quos dolores sequi reprehenderit. Nam omnis velit et harum vero.

Vitae dolore aliquid sit necessitatibus. Odio et eum omnis necessitatibus. A ut maxime voluptate aut pariatur. Commodi ullam beatae odit qui distinctio voluptatum aut. Qui ut minima quia quasi asperiores voluptatem sit adipisci. Itaque repellat maiores est ducimus odit totam fuga culpa. Ea reiciendis et doloribus iste.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”