2017 SA Interviews - Letting your interviewer know your intention is to leave in 3-4 years

Hey all,

I'd like to hear everyone (or anyone's) thoughts on letting your interviewers know that you intend to stay in their investment banking division for only 3-4 years.

Before you go ahead, a bit of context:
1. I'm based in Asia (SG/HK) where the 2-year stint then MBA system isn't common (heard its pretty similar in Australia as well)
2. It's something that usually comes up when interviewers ask things along the lines of, "what is your long-term plan?", "what do you see yourself in 5 years?"
3. To be completely honest, right now, my plan is to hopefully get some BB IBD experience for 3-4 years (make associate?) and take a one year hiatus to travel / take a break before doing something else when I'm settled down (still figuring that)
4. I'll be 25 when I start full-time, so the plan is to get out at 29/30?

Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated, cheers!

Well I guess strictly speaking none of that was brought up?

I asked the question because of an encounter I had with a BB associate and he appeared to genuinely want to hear about my life (or at least the next 5 years) plans. I felt the default, politically correct answer would be to say continue in IBD? That sounds awfully boring and typical though.

This is not a good idea. I will address point 2 mostly because the other ones aren't really as important.

If you get asked "what is your 5 year plan", I would be surprised if people expected you to come up with a definitive answer as an undergraduate student. The way I've answered this question in the past is by saying: "I think am interested in banking right now but it's too early to say whether or not I would stay, given that I am so early in my career", or something like this.

There is an expectation that most analysts will leave after a couple of years. Explicitly saying it will only lead to trouble, especially since firms are so concerned about retaining talent nowadays.

Hey Kaz, really appreciate the response.

I know what you mentioned is generally considered a textbook answer but truth is that I know for sure that I'll be interested in IBD. Either way, I understand your point of view!

Think it could be the way the conversation went during that particular way that convinced me that it'd be okay to give a more personalied response. Thanks again!

If you're already convinced, then why are you asking?

Note the number of people saying it's not a good idea to mention in interviews. From someone who just went through a lot - and this question did come up - it's almost always best to avoid saying that you won't be in banking directly. Allude to other aspects of life, goals, and a little uncertainty but willingness to learn and explore.

Provident est est quia et labore quis voluptas. Incidunt perferendis autem iusto deleniti nobis culpa.

Corporis quae quo voluptate officia commodi. Voluptas et quam non. Totam saepe sunt excepturi sapiente quia. Vel molestias doloremque molestiae consequatur officiis eaque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”