400 hours for the GMAT?

Hello WSO,
Firstly I am very grateful that I have found this forum and I sincerely hope that this community can aid me in attaining my goal.

At any rate, from June to July/August 2016 I will have the opportunity to study for the GMAT. My aim is 740 and I plan to study seven hours every day from the start of June (after my University exams) to the end of July/beginning of August.

740…is such goal achievable for an individual with average intelligence? I would assume that I am most likely above; but I don't think I am as smart as most people here. I have read that some people on here only needed a week to study in order to get over 700…I don’t think I would be able to do that.

My degree is in Accounting and Economics if that is of any relevance and furthermore I am a non-native speaker. My parents are Nigerian nevertheless, so I picked up some English when I was living in Germany. I have been living in the UK for seven years now.

Thanks for all the replies.

***GMAT is for Masters (Targets ---> LSE, UCL, Imperial).

740...is such goal achievable for an individual with average intelligence? I would assume that I am most likely above; but I don't think I am as smart as most people here. I have read that some people on here only needed a week to study in order to get over 700...I don't think I would be able to do that.

The GMAT has little to do with intelligence. If you are of average intelligence you can do very well on it if you practice hard. If you are a native English speaker you also have an edge, so it is a bit unfair in that sense.

Also, keep in mind that it is exponentially harder to get each 10 point increment. In other words, the difference between 740 and 700 is much more significant than that between 700 and 660.

To answer the jist of your question: yes, you can definitely improve your gmat score significantly by studying. I studied for it over the course of two years while I was also taking the CFA exams. I probably put in 200-300 hours over the course of those two years. FWIW, that was probably overkill since I went about it in a very inefficient manner at first.

For me personally, I scored 640 on the first gmat practice exam. Granted, it was a half assed attempt, but I felt like a total moron when I saw the score. After two years of studying, I took the actual exam and got a 760.

Thank you very much for the help. Well done to your amazing score, in passing. I will certainly try my best.

It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

With how much you plan on studying, I would say that it is definitely achievable. And, seeing as you are a non-native speaker, I would suggest that you study verbal a lot. You will get a much higher score if you have a ~95th percentile verbal and an ~85th percentile quant than if you have a ~95th percentile quant and an ~85th percentile verbal.

Thanks, indeed...I have heard that the verbal segment is quite essential and that a lot of individuals neglect it for the mathematics part as business schools are more interested in one's quantitative skills.

It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

Hi,

I'm exactly in the same boat as you are. I will apply for a Finance Masters at LSE, Imperial and Cass. According to my reading the best possible thing for us is to ace the quantitative part of the test. The verbal matters but since you lived for 7 years in the UK and you plan to study that hard for it, I'm sure it will help you achieve a higher ranking.

Thank you very much for the reply. I am aware that they focus more on one's quantitative skills; but over 700 should put you in a good position even if your quantitative score is lower than the average. So I have been told.

Have you actually completed the GMAT? What materials have you used if I may ask? All the best with your application. The Msc Finance at LSE is very competitive from what I have heard; but getting into any of these schools (especially LSE/UCL) should provide you with a lot of opportunities.

In sequence to increase my chances of getting in I will take on CFA Level 1 and hopefully Level 2 immediately afterwards. I've emailed LSE and Imperial and they told me that it helps.

Thank you for sharing the responses you got from LSE and Imperial. I have not started preparing for the GMAT yet, as I am still thinking about the path that I wish to follow. I will attend summer schools from Cass and LSE so I can test my fit against each school and later on decided if I should work for a year and apply in 2018 or directly in 2017. I wish you the best of luck.

400 hours is probably overkill but if you study efficiently you should reach a 740. Take a practice test and see where you start, isolate your weaknesses, then dilligently attack them. I went from a 520 on my first practice test to a 700 then a 720 on ~300 hours. After you raise your score around 180 points, diminishing returns definitely kick in. And I'm of average intelligence as well-most of the material I learned as I prepared/did not know before.

Here are the materials you'll need:

Official Guides (these are a must) Sign up for GMAT Quantum. That should take care of all of your quant needs. Dabral teaches the quant better than anyone I've seen and his questions are lifted right off the practice test discs/downloads the GMAC sends you and all difficulty levels are represented.

Manhattan GMAT for Sentence Correction-crucial for non-native speakers Powerscore Bible for Critical Reasoning I didn't need a reading comprehension guide as that was my best subject but since you're a non-native speaker any of the LSAT prep books will do, or perhaps Manhattan as well.

If any explanations don't make sense during your reviews, look up the question on the GMATCLUB forums

It probably is, but I just want to ensure that I am confident with everything. Thanks for the material, I have heard positive reviews about Manhattan.

Best Response

I'm going to slightly, respectfully disagree with TheGrind. The study material you use is very important, as low quality questions can actually harm your studying (because the logic on low quality questions is unsound or not tested on the actual GMAT). Here is what I would suggest:

1) Get the GMAC study guides

2) If you have the money, purchase either an in-person class or an on-demand course from Manhattan GMAT or Veritas Prep. The in-person class will cost you $1,600 - $1,800, but is well worth it, as the teachers are top notch (all 99th percentile scorers with teaching experience). The on-demand courses are ~$900, but are high quality and teach you everything you need to know. I, personally, did the on-demand Veritas course and really enjoyed it. It helped me go from a 650 to a 720 (I still feel as though I under performed, as my practice test scores were around 750).

3) If you don't have the money for one of those, I would recommend Magoosh, e-GMAT, or EmpowerGMAT. Magoosh and EmpowerGMAT are great, cost-effective resources. Alternatively, e-GMAT was designed for non-native speakers, so it can really help you improve your verbal.

4) If you would rather do just books, you can buy the full MGMAT or Veritas Prep books for ~$150. I would definitely recommend at least doing this, as these books/companies are widely considered the top prep companies for the GMAT.

5) Signup for gmatclub (dot) com - it is free and is an incredible resource for all things GMAT and business school related. I still get on it, almost daily, to see other applicants' profiles and school success/reviews.

6) Stay away from study material that is not from one of the sources that I have posted here. Go ahead and include PowerScore Critical Reasoning as a good resource. It is actually quite a great resource.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Fantastic, thanks a lot. #Bookmarked!

I put in about 250-300 hours and got a 730. I wouldn't consider myself "average" in terms of intelligence, but I'm certainly not a genius either. I think anyone can get a 700-740, regardless of intelligence level. It's more or less pattern recognition at that point (i.e. when I see "x" I think "y"- especially w quant). That being said, I think for 750+ you need to be really, really smart.

I am most likely overdoing it; however some horror stories that I have read on the internet have irritated me slightly hence 400 hours.

GMAT is an absolute joke vis a vis the CFA in my opinion but that's a separate argument.

There isn't much need to spend a ton of time nor money, in a concentrated way at least, to get 700-730. This is the range for most schools where the GMAT won't be a 'problem', MBA wise. I'm not sure what its like for other Masters programs like OP wants.

Hitting above 730 gets tricky, and you are either an ace test taker or well above average intelligence if you are hitting 750+ like someone above said.

Personally, I watched the Magoosh videos ($99 for a year subscription at the time) and did practice problems from Manhattan GMAT books for 2-3 hours in total, about 3-4 nights a week for a month. This was good enough for 730+ on 3 Veritas mock exams i did, but I got 710 on the real deal. Most people with non-GMAT items 'good enough' for top schools will not need to spend $1000+ nor more than ~120hrs.

I would say that even if you put in the hard work hitting above a 700 is not guaranteed, let alone a 740. That is not say you can't do it, just that not everybody can. A believe a 700 is around 90th percentile and a 740 is 97th. This is a test pool of people who for the most part are all college graduates and probably the more successful ones. There are PLENTY of people who will not get above a 700 regardless of how much they study.

And yes, GMAT vs. CFA is apples to oranges. Plenty of people who got a 740 on the GMAT who would struggle to pass the CFA and plenty of people who passed the CFA who would struggle to get a 740.

Best of luck.

Very good advice from C137 above. Personally, I don't think you need to spend $1,000+ on the classes. The books were good enough for me and that only cost $100-150 since I bought them used. To each their own though.

GMAT is an absolute joke vis a vis the CFA in my opinion but that's a separate argument.

I've done both programs and here's my perspective:

CFA is about memorizing facts and being able to reasonably regurgitate them. The amount of material is overwhelming, but you only need a 70% score to pass. Scoring higher doesn't matter at all and there is no time pressure (I finished each CFA exam 40+ minutes early). While the CFA is a lot of work, I never found it especially stressful. It also doesn't require any real intelligence.

The GMAT is about being able to quickly recognize a problem format and then selecting and executing the appropriate solution. Being intelligent helps, though practice is also very helpful.

You absolutely must take a structured approach to the GMAT problems. The time pressure, particularly for the quant portion, can be intense. Unlike the CFA, your score also matters enormously, so there is a lot of pressure. Hell, they even time your bathroom break or whatever, creating more pressure. GMAT is like football, basketball, baseball, etc. - you have to keep practicing the form you take to approach a given situation so you can execute quickly, accurately, and repeatedly when finally called upon.

As someone scored 770 on GMAT, I personally think GMAT is not something you should spend to much time on. It's not like CFA or learning financial modeling, that your learning outcome is highly correlated with the time you put in. Rather, many parts of it are pretty intuitive.

Assuming that you speak English (I'm international and many of my foreign friends have trouble with the test because they don't know what certain words mean or they don't know how a presidential election works), you should be able to crack the verbal part easily once you get how to think in the test makers ways.

Basically what I do is take every CR question as something I want to argue against in the first place. That will force you to doubt every link of its logical chain and usually you will find something you have doubted show up in the options. The readings are usually very easy as long as you have time to read them. The sentence corrections always revolve around a handful of error types and I suggest you go through Manhattan GMAT prep's SC part, which basically tells you all the tricks you'll encounter in the test.

The hard shit is the math. There are many things you CAN'T change, but extremely important, like IQ, calculating speed and if you've encountered this type of thinking in your work or life before. But there are also things you CAN do. My suggestion is that DO AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE. There are many free resources available and when you buy the Manhattan prep you get 6 mock tests which covers both math and verbal. By doing this, you will familiarize yourself with all kinds of questions you will see on the test and find out what's your weakness.

Sorry for not seeing that I'm this far into my comment but I just realized you are not a native English speaker. That changes a decent amount of things. But still, most of what I said is applicable. PM me if you need any help regarding a specific area.

Thank you very much for the advice. My English is alright from my perspective, it is the mathematics section that concerns me the most. I thank you all for your positive contributions; I will come back after my final year exams and then focus on the GMAT.

Molestias dolorem nisi ut fugiat voluptas ea dolorum. Qui sed eaque ea quisquam aperiam quam ut. Quod assumenda velit nostrum id sit dolor.

Officiis repellendus eaque deserunt enim laboriosam occaecati. Id ea nemo consectetur placeat. Eaque corrupti maiores enim repellat eos. Deserunt est accusamus consequatur ab beatae nihil. Accusantium harum molestiae qui sit. Ratione ducimus facilis minus. Quis illo excepturi et voluptas cumque.

Beatae dolorum earum alias. Numquam ut et officia debitis illo eos ut necessitatibus. Consequatur consequatur nemo adipisci est. Omnis culpa praesentium et magni cupiditate veritatis illum.

Et molestias est aut numquam voluptatem nisi. Corporis et cumque officia dolorum ducimus.

Totam dolorem commodi vel facilis asperiores. Inventore ratione soluta eveniet voluptas et ipsum natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”