460 GMAT Diagnostic - Is there any hope?

Currently a senior in college going to graduate in a few months and per the suggestion of friends, former colleagues, and many users on here I decided that I wanted to take the GMAT before I start my full time job in June. A few days ago I took a GMATPrep practice test cold through their software and scored a 460 (27Q,27V). Although I haven't prepped at all yet and I am scheduled to start a prep class in February to further prepare for the test, I am concerned because I am starting out at such a low score and I want to get the best score as possible. I was originally planning to sit for the actual exam in May but after looking at my diagnostic I don't know if three months preparation is enough to do well.

With this I was wondering three things: is there any hope for me to get a solid score , how much prep time do you guys recommend overall, and have any of you guys personally went from a bad score from the beginning to a great score when you sat for the exam?

I could really use any feedback, guidance, and suggestions

Had a very close friend get a 480 diagnostic and 710 on actual. He spent nearly 6 months straight taking basically a practice test per day, rolling over the questions he missed from the previous ones.

It is a very learnable test. It just takes time and a lot of discipline.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I would definitely say there is hope. Lots of students start out with scores way below their target score and still end up achieving it. I am a GMAT tutor and have worked with student who have made bigger score improvements, so it is definitely doable! How long it will take you depends on your learning habits and how much time you have to study for the test. I think that you should reassess your test date after you complete the course. In addition, it may be beneficial to reach out to your course provider and ask them if there is anything you can do (ie books to read, etc) before the course starts to make sure you that you make the best use of your time in the course.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Eliza GMAT Tutor http://bestgmatprepcourse.com

Of course it is possible! If you are a native speaker, there is little reason why you should not get between a 38-40 on the verbal after a little bit of studying. That alone would boost your score to ~580 assuming quant remains the same. Plus, as @"TwoThrones" said, you probably are unfamiliar with the format and may have not seen some of these math concepts for a few years.

Either sign up for a course or do independent study. I personally bought the Manhattan GMAT books and paired that with Magoosh (which I highly recommend and worked great for my learning style).

Frank Slaughtery:

check out gmatquantum.com. Great math course which will help build up your math foundations

If you struggle with quant, I completely agree with that! gmatquantum.com is a really good source & cheap! (less than 100$) Very helpful and understandable video explanations of ALL concepts you need + hard and tricky practice questions

Depends on where you're starting from. I studied for a little under a month and got a 730. My experience (and that of my friends) is that if you're someone who reads a lot, the verbal comes very naturally so you can basically spend all your time on quant.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Went from 520 on my first diagnostic to a 700 and 720 on my 1st and 2nd respective exam attempts 6 and 9 months later. I would say that my progress was in direct proportion to the time and effort I spent on prep-I gained 180 points before diminishing returns eventually kicked in, so there's plenty of opportunity to increase your proficiency. Just don't expect it to be easy.

Outside of SC (which you can crush by internalizing mgmat SC), I think verbal is hard to learn and improve. The biggest factor on CR/RC is focus and concentration. Figure out what you need to do in order to maximize your ability to focus for the duration of the Verbal section.

killaqueeen:

What do you recommend getting books wise to prep for the Verbal portion. I recently ordered Powerscore CR and MGMAT Sentence Correction books for practice. Any other things to get/routines to start?

I got the Manhattan GMAT set and got an 84th percentile on the verbal score. The math tho, was another story, and the %ile was a factor of my V score.

mgmat sc and cr are both very good. rc not so much but probably worth reviewing considering your low verbal baseline. for sc just drill the concepts in the mgmat book. i havent used powerscore but i hear its a good resource for CR so id go through that several times.

this may be helpful - https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/2011/01/26/how-to-improve-your-…. you need to train yourself to read for comprehension, this may be tough depending on how much time you have. you're likely going to need more than 2 months to go from a 460 to 650+.

Best Response

@killaqueeen

Taking the official GMATPrep practice test cold can be a huge shock. Most students that I have worked with end up scoring fairly low if they take the test without any preparation. The reasons could range from not being familiar with the structure of the test(for example: data sufficiency questions), or not paying attention to pacing and getting sucked into hard questions. In general, I recommend students to first brush up on different types of GMAT questions, then practice with the easy questions on all of the different types, and then only take a practice test. In general, taking the first practice cold doesn't really help that much other causing a psychological panic. It is best to hold off on doing a full test once you have a solid sense of what the test is about. This would give you a much better initial baseline.

The prevalence of a low score in an initial sitting is another reason why some test prep outfits will have you take their "free" practice test so that you panic and end up signing up for their courses.

In general one can easily improve anywhere from 100 to 150 points from their initial baseline, going beyond will require extra work. My advice is to first get a good sense of what the test is about, review some of the easy questions on all different question types, then brush up on the basics and take the practice test. From that point onward you can selectively target your areas of weakness and continue to improve your performance. And finally, stick to official GMAT questions because you want to get a handle of the structure and style of the GMAT question types and not some poorly written questions from the numerous test prep outfits.

Best wishes, Dabral

www.gmatquantum.com

although doing well on both sections is ideal, the verbal section is more important. i've seen scores posted with 45 verbal (98 percentile) and 40 quant (66 percentile) for an overall of 700 (93rd percentile). versus 37 verbal (82 percentile) and 50 quant (97th percentile) for a 670 overall (89 percentile). if you don't have much time to study then make sure you ace the verbal and can manage the quant, learn to make educated guesses and move on quickly from problems you know you can't answer.

I second what davidbob123 said, the overall score is influenced more by the verbal score than the quant. In general the return on investment of spending an hour of effort on verbal is higher than that on the quant section of the GMAT. However, ideally one does need to have a balanced score. For example, Berkeley's Haas admissions folks would tell you that they consider a score of 80th percentile on the quant to be proficient.

www.gmatquantum.com

Study hard. I went from 540 diagnostic to 740. Wasn't easy but was possible. Took a class but also studied on my own

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

Blanditiis necessitatibus laboriosam et occaecati harum. Officia est reiciendis aut. Consequatur nostrum id non commodi accusantium minima quo sint.

Doloribus neque aliquid dolor sunt ea autem blanditiis. Molestiae maxime molestias quod vel accusantium est debitis. Explicabo voluptatem sequi aut ab quo voluptatum quos voluptatem. Sed est dolorum sed repellendus.

Reiciendis voluptatibus rerum autem nesciunt. Officiis voluptas quod et harum sit dolorem. Placeat culpa enim veritatis quo facere.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”