5/20/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

How many of the senior bankers on your team do you reckon will die alone
Post By @KREBSCYCLEOMG"

I never really thought of my superiors as being human. I just wrote them off as being married, divorced or terribly inconvenienced by the fact that they are indeed married, really good at getting divorced, asexual, or hopeless. That last category includes some of the serial direct promotes at the higher levels (in their 30's) who have crossed paths with a few friends of mine on dating apps.

Bathrooms, Gays, Trannies, the South, and Perverts
Post By @thebrofessor"

What does everyone think? Should trannies get to use whatever bathroom they want to? Do they already have unisex bathrooms/locker rooms in your area?

Lay offs
Post By @Saddened"

I was just let go from UBS as a first-year analyst. Do you guys know of any other layoffs in the bank or across the street recently? UBS said it was a downsize and I am not sure where to go from here.

The Life of Ricardo: What is Your Comparative Advantage?
Post By @Lø"

"You have good grades, the right major, interesting and relevant work experience and extracurriculars, but your CV looks a lot like all the other CVs in this pile."

How I manage my day-to-day life and limit overwhelm using a simple checklist
Post By @Alistair-Clark"

How much would you pay for an extra hour each day? The value of time is clear when you put it in financial terms, but to be honest the math does not matter a lot. In this post, I am going to outline the system I use for managing my day-to-day life, so that you can get everything done each day (even if you only have 24 hours).

Is early 30s too old to start as a post MBA associate?
Post By @c_h_q"

If I graduate from a top MBA program at age 32, 33 or 34, and would like to go into IB upon graduation, all other things being equal, would my age put me at a significant disadvantage compared to other candidates?

Late to the game - Engineering to Finance
Post By @EngineerinBanking"

I am currently a Junior Electrical Engineering student at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. Does anyone have any tips for someone this late to the game and trying to make the change?

How many years are spent at the Associate level?
Post By @saw23"

How many years are typically spent at the Associate level before getting promoted to become a VP?

Government Came to Play: M&A Deals Having Trouble Closing
Post By @American Psycho"

Coming off a hot 2015 with M&A deals totaling beyond $5 trillion, the momentum carried into 2016. However, the train has come to a screeching halt on many deals announced within the last several months. Do you see major obstacles in the way of closing deals or will the rest of 2016 be different?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”