760 on GMAT -- Game Plan

Hey everyone,

Just took my GMAT this morning and scored 760 (IR8/Q50/V44), which is at the 99th percentile. While this is certainly not the limit of what many of you could score, I think my experience going through the process might be valuable to share, so I'm hoping at least a few people can learn something new here or at least gain some confidence.

I started studying about 5 weeks ago. I am starting with MBB in a couple weeks so yes, they paid for a full prep course, but I elected to take the self-study package rather than the in-classroom package. I got the Manhattan GMAT (MGMAT) Interact package that came with 12 study books, the Official Guide, the Official Review books for quant and verbal, online lessons, and 6 online computer-adaptive tests (CATs).

This is definitely not a marketing post for MGMAT -- while it had a lot of good resources, it had its serious flaws as well. I appreciated having books for literally every topic covered on the GMAT, but I also found that it was way too much information. It seemed like the books were written for an absolute beginner, so I found myself skipping through most of the pages to find the crucial bits of information that would actually help me on the exam (i.e. the typical Pythagorean triples or the common formats of critical reasoning questions). In the end, I decided that the information in the books was not anything that I couldn't learn myself by doing a lot of practice problems.

Speaking of practice problems, that was exactly what I did for 5 weeks. I did practice problems every single day. For the first 2 weeks or so, I worked exclusively on problems in the MGMAT books. However, once I took a couple practice tests (also from MGMAT), I found that the difficult level of the book problems was misaligned with the practice tests, and I wasn't scoring very high (670-680 range). I did some research online, read through some forums, and discovered that a lot of people have come across the same issue.

The MGMAT book problems just aren't calibrated correctly to the actual test. In addition, a lot of people have found that the MGMAT practice tests are much harder than the actual test. I definitely agree. My average MGMAT practice score (from three tests) was 680 (Q46/V37), whereas the average of my three scores from GMATPrep tests (the official practice tests, and yes I purchased additional tests since you only get two for free) was 770 (Q50/V45). Two things to note here: 1.) the MGMAT tests are indeed much harder than the real thing; 2.) the GMATPrep scores were very close to my actual score. (I should add that I took the practice tests roughly one week apart from each other and left a week between my last practice test and the real GMAT.)

So, for the next 3 weeks, I did problems exclusively from the Official Guide and the Official Review books for quant and verbal. There are about 1500 problems total across the three books, and yes, I did every single problem. This isn't that bad -- it took me about 3-4 hours each day. Then again, I did this before I started working, so if you're working full time, you probably want to start 2-3 weeks earlier. It really helped to do these problems because of two reasons: 1.) they are retired from actual GMAT exams, so they reflect the actual difficulty of problems on the GMAT; 2.) just by the virtue of doing so many problems, you learn a lot of concepts and become familiar with the types of questions the GMAT will ask you. Definitely review the solutions to any problems you can't solve intuitively! The goal here is to make GMAT problem solving somewhat intuitive and quick.

You might notice that I haven't mentioned anything about the AWA (essay) or IR (integrated reasoning) sections. This is intentional. They're not part of your "total" numerical score, and business schools don't pay a whole lot of attention to these sections. However, it is important to at least perform satisfactorily on these. So, I'd recommend doing 2-3 practice essays according to one of the many templates available online (here's one: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html). It's not rocket science; just find 3 flaws in the argument, and write a 5-paragraph essay describing the flaws and how to address them. For IR practice, you will be doing this during your practice tests, so no extra work needed there.

In the week leading up to my GMAT, I tried to take it easy. I actually took two days completely off in the middle of the week and did absolutely nothing related to the GMAT, just to relax my mind and let things soak in. It's just like physical training -- you need rest time so your body can get used to the training you've been putting it through. For the last couple days before the GMAT, I finished off the last 150 or so problems while still trying to relax as much as possible. The most important thing for me was to maintain a positive attitude. I hung out with friends, played golf, went to the gym, and generally did things that made me happy. I find that when I'm in a good mood, my brain tends to work better.

On the morning of the test (I scheduled it for 8am), I woke up early and had a good breakfast (definitely get some protein and carbs in there). I then did 3 practice problems of each type -- problem solving, data sufficiency, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and sentence correction. However, I didn't look at any of the solutions -- this is very important! I repeat, this is very important!! The worst thing you can do for your confidence is to find out that you're getting problems wrong on the morning of your test. Do the practice problems, feel confident about your answers, and get out the door!

During the exam itself, I forced myself not to think about anything but the problems in front of me. It's very tempting to worry about the problem you just messed up, or what your score might be (since you get the score immediately following your exam), but all of this will distract you from doing what's most important, which is solving the problem in front of you. I've heard this said before, and I'll rephrase a little: it's not about conquering the GMAT, it's about conquering 37 individual quant problems and 41 individual verbal problems. As I mentioned above, my GMATPrep average score was 770, while my actual score was 760. I think this is because I psyched myself out after stumbling through a particularly challenging IR section. I kept thinking about that during the rest of the exam, which may have reflected in my slight score drop. And of course, be sure to drink plenty of water and eat some healthy snacks (i.e. bananas or granola bars) during the breaks!

You'll do great. It's not 100% a test of intelligence. At least half of it is preparation and confidence.

I know that was a lot of information. Here's the tl;dr summary:

• Do every single problem in the Official Guide and Official Review books for quant and verbal. Don't bother with other sources.
  • Keep a consistent schedule (i.e. study at the same time every day).
  • Do regular GMATPrep practice tests (about a week apart). It's definitely worth purchasing the additional two tests. Other companies' tests aren't good indicators of actual GMAT difficulty or score.
  • Do 2-3 practice essays according to any of the AWA templates out there. No need for additional IR practice beyond practice exams.
  • Take it easy in the week leading up to the GMAT. Work on maintaining a positive attitude and a healthy body and mind.
  • During the test, focus on each individual problem instead of worrying about problems you may have gotten wrong or your score.
  • Stay confident!!

Let me know if I missed anything or if I can answer any questions!

Funniest

You got 760 on the GMAT and you still don't know the difference between "i.e." and "e.g."....

"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

AndyLouis:

don't be that guy

haha, why's everyone getting so pissed off? If someone struts into a room saying follow my lead, then falls over, i'm going to laugh.....
"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

Oreos:

You got 760 on the GMAT and you still don't know the difference between "i.e." and "e.g."....

Not sure why he got MS'd all over...its a pretty funny comment ;)

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Reading Comprehension -- Practice reading detailed articles very quickly grasping the main points. Also, try to remember key words as you read, because some of the more difficult questions will require you to refer to a single particular sentence, and if you missed that sentence, you'll miss the question.

Critical Reasoning -- This is where MGMAT was actually useful, because I learned all the different types of critical reasoning questions and how to approach each one. I'm sure each test prep company has a similar book that will explain the same concepts.

Sentence Correction -- I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time learning grammar rules or idioms unless American English isn't your first language. Just be very meticulous in comparing the answer choices to determine exactly how they are different, and select the answer that is the "least wrong". Be very very careful here -- it's easy to miss a word that is the key to getting the problem correct!

If you only started studying 5 weeks ago that points to that you already had the majority of your ability prior to test preparation. Think about anything you've done for 5 weeks and there really isn't a single thing you can become great at lol without an already tremendous base.

That is kind of common sense. So if you think anyone can make a vast improvement in their scores in 5 weeks then you're prob out of touch with your average guy. You prob went from the 96 to 99th percentile because of your prep haha. Hardly astonishing. Good job though as you obviously have more ability than most.

Well if you want people to be inspired you need to do something that you're not very good at then make a big improvement and actually have to fight for it.

A guy that can naturally bench press 300 pounds and lifts his max to 320 isn't really that impressive.. except for fact he is naturally strong. A guy who only can bench 100 pds then ups his max to 250 is a lot more impressive because of the work he had to put in and the sacrifice he had to make. So if you come back and tell us a story where you trained and trained and trained to achieve something (or improve the world.. something to that effect) that you weren't very good at to begin with that might work a little better. Just my opinion though..

Congrats on the score and your MBB job.

Would be cool if you did another post on your experience while applying/getting into a top b-school but I guess that's...2 years away?

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

As a Kellogg Alum, you guys need to live by the golden rule of the GMAT inherent to MBA admissions, especially in these times with much heightened competition:

A good score won't get you in, but a bad score will keep you out.

GL.

Hey, I am planning on starting to create my study plan in the next couple weeks and had some questions for you. 1) Did you at all use the online resources? I am thinking about just buying the books you mentioned in the post instead. 2) How much does the GMAT change on a year to year basis? I know that the 5th edition of the set of 10 books is out, but a 6th edition is coming out in december. Should I wait, or does it really not matter?

Best Response

If your initial practice tests are 700+ it may be enough.

My first exams with minimal study were in the 580-610 range. I ended signing up for online classes (Veritas Prep with Ravi / Math Revolution online course), as well as GMAT Club's question bank. Ended up improving my score by 150+ points.

I'd recommend also checking out the "How I got a 770 on the GMAT . . . whitecollarandsuspenders version" post

Thanks Peter for your answer.

I just took my first GMATprep practice exam and scored 600. I want to start studying this week, especially the verbal section since I did horrendously though better than expected in the quant section. My target is at least 700 2 months from now, would you recommend Veritas Prep o Magoosh? (Please take into account that I need to focus a lot on verbal, I am non-native speaker)

Qui neque est voluptatem dolor. Atque veniam impedit assumenda omnis cumque qui exercitationem et. Error voluptatem fugit qui quaerat a. Delectus tenetur hic eos corrupti sit.

Similique beatae necessitatibus nobis. Quo consequuntur dolores est doloribus veniam. Id rerum illo vel deserunt illo voluptates ut. Illum et qui consequatur magni.

Aut exercitationem laudantium sint dolor. Veniam id nihil debitis inventore ad et aut. Eveniet expedita quis deserunt. Magnam suscipit enim excepturi voluptate aliquid. Consequuntur velit enim et animi vel inventore. Enim architecto voluptatem autem est dolores suscipit consequuntur.

Libero possimus quia ut et. Ipsum accusantium culpa accusamus quos. Incidunt provident et aliquid et ut aliquid voluptates. Ad et in quod impedit debitis. Error neque omnis eius perspiciatis. Aut quia repudiandae et voluptas.

Neque alias porro delectus dignissimos omnis dicta nulla. Omnis dolor omnis praesentium recusandae cupiditate. Molestiae accusantium autem omnis ut et.

Pariatur est ut eaque amet distinctio. Nam dolor nulla dolorum laboriosam fugiat. Placeat molestiae nemo ad et corrupti. Aliquam in molestiae nihil esse sed.

Quia alias et quidem eos omnis magnam. Ut quidem praesentium quasi dolorem magnam. Rem magnam sed laboriosam. Non vitae perferendis fugit omnis. Sequi inventore facere odio asperiores molestiae nesciunt dolores impedit.

Aliquid eum quibusdam debitis. Velit illo perferendis repellendus nulla. Itaque optio enim debitis distinctio qui pariatur. Eius consequuntur possimus id neque omnis qui dolores nesciunt.

Omnis vel molestias consequatur dolore hic blanditiis voluptatem perspiciatis. Sit voluptatum quaerat qui ut non incidunt. Est voluptatem explicabo enim.

Corrupti illum consectetur omnis quia recusandae. Nobis eos aliquid et tempore animi ut molestiae. Assumenda animi aut nam autem deleniti eveniet veritatis sunt. Deserunt in eveniet illo odio sint. Ratione consequuntur quia dolores tempore labore temporibus ut. Officiis perspiciatis eum itaque cumque quos.

Maiores non mollitia et veniam consectetur et exercitationem qui. Et voluptas omnis molestiae expedita eaque blanditiis velit. Voluptatem porro eos consequatur sit. Illo odit sint et doloribus. Unde quas repellat autem delectus voluptas quidem voluptatem.

Big4 Audit --> TMT L/S

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”