8/12/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

How Do We Decouple Income From Work?
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

This is the first post in a series exploring technology, its impact on how we work, and the macroeconomic effects from the displacement it causes.

Good TV shows to binge watch on?
Post By @fine-nance"

I just finished my summer internship and summer classes. School is starting in two weeks and I intend to be a couch potato to relieve all the stress I accumulated. Do you guys have a good TV show to recommend?

The MLB doesn't market superstars well
Post By @mCobb"

Is it that I am just behind, or is baseball actually "dying"? What can the MLB do to mix up its marketing effort?

WSO's Best Real Estate Books
Post By @CRE"

People ask about the best real estate books to read on this forum almost daily and we are happy to toss Linneman and Bowman their way, as well as all of the terrific ULI books. However @Whats the Comp" today asked specifically about non-textbook reads and it got me thinking that we should build a list of our favorites.

What is your compensation in Real Estate Finance?
Post By @jjacobs06"

I was unable to find much in the way of compensation for real estate. I thought maybe you guys will be willing to describe what you do, the market you focus on, and what your compensation looks like.

May you live in "exciting" times! An Updated Picture of Country Risk
Post By @Aswath Damodaran"

In August 2015, a month after my posts, we had questions about China's economy, leading to this post with my story on China. Towards the end of June 2016, we had UK voters choosing to exit the EU, and that too caused waves (or at least ripples) through markets, which I talked about in this post. In this post, I would like to focus on presenting a new look on country risk around the world today.

The worst Hedge Fund Manager/Investor?
Post By @mCobb"

Bill "the destroyer of capital" Ackman, is down more than half a Billion dollars since Brexit. How did Ackman manage to retain his Investors? Are there any worse money managers you know about that manage to remain in business?

FLDP Program Recruiting Timeline?
Post By @abauscher"

I am looking to apply to fldps this year and have not been able to find out when they start recruiting. Do fldps have the same timeline as banks or do they start later during the year?

Quit BO role before I hit the desk to pursue FO role?
Post By @secretpanda"

Should I play it smart and opt for an advisory role in compliance, join the legal team and then ask for the bank to pay for my law school fees to become an in-house solicitor?

What's the failure rate for aspiring investment bankers?
Post By @354231"

What is your story of struggle or failure at trying to break into Investment Banking?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”