9/2/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Is College Worth the Opportunity Cost?
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

More and more, I am hearing from friends with kids in college that they are being told to strap in for grad school tuition. A bachelor's degree just doesn't cut it anymore. Instead, a bachelor's degree has become the high school diploma of my day. As a parent, I want to help them avoid that outcome. That desire has sent me in search of alternatives.

Student Loans: How can it be fixed?
Post By @mCobb"

If you are a college student or a recent graduate, you can relate to the doom and gloom of student loans (depending on where you went to college). How can the issue of delinquent student loans be solved?

How to network & get yourself a Career Mentor
Post By @LeNasser"

This is probably one of the most interesting and important subjects that universities fail to include in their curriculum. Most of the successful people had a Mentor (e.g. Ben Graham mentored Warren Buffet). It is very important to have one. I have recently landed one so I know something about how it goes.

Meeting people post-college in a new town
Post By @Great White Short"

Is MeetUp popular or good? How about meeting people through shared activities or hanging out with coworkers? Let us hear your thoughts WSO.

Women in the Workplace Pt 2: Rigged Markets, Inside Information, and the “Softer” Sex
Post By @surferdude867"

If you read my first post, you will know that I attract (or, if you don't believe me, think I attract) a lot of women, and that it can be a problem in the workplace. I have more personal anecdotes since moving to a new company (history repeats itself, big time) and I will share a few of them because they are relevant to the discussion at hand.

The $400 Million Mistake at Lazard: Solarcity "Undervalued" in Tesla Purchase
Post By @BananaMan"

Apparently someone double-counted some projected indebtedness for SolarCity which dropped the projected valuation range by $400m. That comes out to right around 15% of the $2.6Bn deal. it just goes to show you that 100+ hour weeks might lead to a few mistakes. Will Associates, VPs and MDs at Lazard hear that?

What is so bad about starting at the buyside?
Post By @BillBelichick37"

I have noticed that many of you say that starting on the buyside (e.g. AM, HF, PE, etc.) is not as good as IBD. Why is this the case?

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”