9/23/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Classic Diversity Rant
Post By @Fear The Bulge"

Here we go again boys, a diversity rant for you. How many of you have been working at your financial institution for at least 5 years and have noticed that even within that short time, Political Correctness (PC) culture has gotten completely out of control? I was asked to put a trigger warning on a presentation that utilized the word "black" in reference to financial solvency.

NY Muslim terrorist bombings/Wells Fargo CEO getting grilled
Post By @DickFuld"

So, NYC was bombed last weekend and I am surprised that nobody has brought it up here. Then on another front, the CEO from Wells Fargo was grilled in Congress and nobody brought that up either.

Warren vs. Stumpf
Post By @TheAvidInvestor"

What did you guys think of this massive take-down by Senator Warren?

Why Does Everyone Downplay Risk?
Post By @BillBelichick37"

It seems as though Risk is extremely unappreciated on WSO and is unfairly grouped together with Operations and Compliance as "No Man's Land" in various BBs. Why is this so? @IlliniProgrammer" and @SSits" seem to give great insights but I see that besides Operations, all other BO roles were rarely talked about in AMAs.

Top Restructuring Groups 2016
Post By @rxchip"

This has been discussed before and BX, LAZ and HL lead the pack. However, there has been some senior banker musical chairs in the restructuring space lately. I was wondering how would you guys rank the pharmaceutical groups in the following tier 2 or 3 banks: Rothschild, Jefferies, Greenhill, Evercore, Millstein, Miller Buckfire, Centerview, Moelis, Guggenheim, Imperial Capital, Chanin Capital, GLC, & Ducera(ex-PWP).

Flipped Houses, Own Rental Property - Now I Can't Find a Job
Post By @jchan281"

While studying in university in Ohio, I flipped houses primarily in B and C class neighborhoods. Without finishing college in Ohio, I moved back to NYC and studied Real Estate Development at Baruch. Currently, I am trying to transition into a real estate related job where I can learn useful skill-sets that will benefit me in my Real Estate career. What real estate jobs am I really suited for right now?

Non-Targets and The Art of Relationship Building
Post By @Yournextbestintern"

Feel free to chip in specific, substantive, and practical strategies to help non-target students break into the Management Consulting industry by establishing a network.

Future of MBB
Post By @Koloniaal"

Several things have happened in the strategy consultancy industry. McK has been struggling with its scale and slashing their prices pretty rigorously, amongst many other events. I would love to hear your thoughts on some questions about the industry.

My history with LIBOR
Post By @PacNumber"

I personally have a bad taste in my mouth about any LIBOR product. I never realized how many institutional deals tied to LIBOR were being done until I joined WSO.

What brand of suits to go for for interviews? Also Color?
Post By @JakeSill"

Are 3 pocket suits (or do you call them as ticket pocket suits) acceptable for an IB SA interview? Which color would you recommend for a suit?

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”