9/30/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Transgender at a Hedge Fund
Post By @Ashley617"

I currently work at a medium sized fund. Given how competitive hiring is in the hedge fund world, do you think I would ever have a shot of being hired anywhere else?

Do beautiful/attractive people have a competitive edge in their careers? (Superficially speaking)
Post By @TheBestMan"

How far do you think your looks can take you in your career?

Follow your passion and you never have to work a day in your life?
Post By @Young Wolf"

This quote is one of the worst pieces of advice anyone can ever receive. It can be extremely dangerous depending on how the recipient applies the advice to his or her life.

Get In, Loser. We're Going To Mars.
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

What a time to be alive. We could be on the cusp of being an interplanetary species. Elon Musk revealed his plans for taking humanity to Mars at the International Astronautical Congress on Tuesday. The plan starts in July 2018.

Hillary Clinton's Estate Tax
Post By @LonstedBrowry"

You might have seen that Hillary Clinton has proposed a hike in the estate tax rate from 40% to 65%. Why should the government, which has already taxed you on the income you earned, tax the money that you pass down to your kids?

Outside NYC/SF, how would you rate cities for finance/consulting/corporate opps?
Post By @lawstudent400"

NYC and SF look to be the top placement cities for almost all MBA programs. What are other cities with great job or business opportunities for MBA graduates?

Question for Those Who Moved Cities
Post By @westcoastq"

Do you regret moving to other cities for the impact it had on your career progression? Did you feel that your career took a step backwards since you had to learn about a new market, network a new Rolodex and prove yourself to a new group of people?

Correlation Between Response for Thank You Email and Offer?
Post By @yqrzcjs"

I have heard a lot about how a round of interview with a Partner can heavily influence whether you will be hired. If the Partner did not reply to anyone, I would probably feel less anxious. However after learning that my friend got a reply, I just feel my last bit of hope was gone. How high would you say the correlation between getting a response from a Partner and getting an offer is?

The Twitter Bidding War Starts Now
Post By @mCobb"

I think there are great dynamics for twitter in terms of appeal to media and tech companies. Twitter is a company that could be run better fundamentally in terms of growth. Investors may have to pay a premium, but what are your thoughts on the possible bid numbers and valuation?

Ahhhshit. Just found out I have a hair follicle drug test on Friday. Am I done for
Post By @DatLuck90"

Exactly 90 days ago, I was in Colorado and decided to partake in the legal edibles since I was there. Does any of you have any experience with this test? How sensitive is it to 20 mg of edibles 90 days ago?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”