Accounting F150 -> MBA (Profile Evaluation)

Stats:

Sex: M
GPA: 3.1ish (general upward trend with really low 2.76 in final year)
Ugrad: Top Canadian University (Bachelors in Accounting)
GMAT: Projecting 700-720 (Will this be enough or do I need to aim higher)

Experience:
2 years post ugrad and 8 months internship experience in well known Pharma/Life Science company (Pfizer, Bayer) in various accounting / finance roles. Despite having no formal management rotational program for my company in Canada , I have been able to gain exposure and experience in varying roles. I started as a Credit Analyst for 7 months and then shifted to Financial Analyst (budget planning) for 7 months and now have been working as Fixed Asset Accountant for past year. My current responsibilities for Asset Management span 2 legal entities in different industries (awesome part of this company) so I have definitely progressed in my level of responsibilities assumed. I am also pursuing my CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation which I should have completed my work experience requirement for by summer 2017 (Exams completed).

Management Experience:
On a high level I have led teams of 3 - 4 people including cost center managers for the entire Fixed asset inventory count across multiple offices/plants in Canada. Also was project lead for internal control process change for capitalization of tax costs to capital assets and led the training to colleagues in the Shared Service Center. I am also managing an intern student for a 6 month period but that is the extent of my management experience due to very limited headcount and the majority of transactional accounting being performed in shared service centers overseas.

Recognition:
Received company Award from Tax Dept for exceptional performance on Capital Asset Review Engagement.

EC:
I am a mentor for a Student Organization in my undergrad business school and help current students to navigate through their professional careers and answer questions etc. Also I regularly attend Networking Sessions at the school with other Alumni to help the students develop necessary skills for the business world.
I am also an executive member of Not for profit organization that helps build food baskets for the local community (this past year built over 1000 baskets). I am also a volunteer with national cancer foundation and will become a team lead volunteer in the near future for the different events that we organize during the year.

Target Schools:
Duke
UCLA
Cornell
Darden
Ross
USC

Post MBA Goals:
I would like to use the MBA as a bridge to shift my career from accounting to management consulting. I want to leverage my background to shift towards more high level corporate strategy. I realize there is a gap in my current skill set / knowledge and the MBA will help ease the transition. I networked and made a conscious effort to gain broad experience within my company so that I am dynamic and will have different experiences to draw on in my MBA and post MBA career.

Questions / Concerns
My biggest concern is my gpa as my last year was really low. I will write the optional essay to explain the circumstances around why my performance was so poor. I am hoping that since I passed my professional exams that it might help offset any concerns regarding my intellectual capabilities. I will likely build an alternate transcript with a couple of quant courses. Also even though my changes in position seem lateral, my pay from starting till now has doubled so does that help show progression or no?

I know I am a little early as I do not plan to apply till most likely 2018 but are the schools on my list attainable for my profile or am I just dreaming? What elements of my profile can I strengthen to increase my chances at schools in the 10-20 range. I know this is a lot of information but thank you for taking the time to read and providing your feedback!

Best Response

really need to cut it down to simpler things. nothing seems off - except you could aim a bit higher. long-term postMBA unclear but no need to explain to me. GPA doesn't kill you away from MBA business schools ">M7 or T15, only bad executions will.

syousuf3:

Hey whattherock, thanks a lot for your input. When you say aim higher, is that in reference to my GMAT or the list of schools I mentioned? My GPA is fixed so I will try and ensure the execution of my applications are solid. Thanks again.

I think it's worth a try to do something within MBA business schools ">M7/Haas/Tuck if you feel it's something you might need later on. USC maybe works for California but it doesn't really belong to peers you listed. maybe you can get a full ride financially but that's about all.

I suggest if you own up your GPA problem and just say "SO WHAT! I'm not devalued only with a GPA mess up!". I think that can boost your confidence.

Look into UVA Darden, Richard Ivey, Emory, UNC and maybe NYU. Accounting at f150 is not very attractive. If want to target top 10, why don't you try transition to finance, at least big 4 financial advisory, work there for a couple of years and then apply?

Noelle90:

Look into UVA Darden, Richard Ivey, Emory, UNC and maybe NYU. Accounting at f150 is not very attractive. If want to target top 10, why don't you try transition to finance, at least big 4 financial advisory, work there for a couple of years and then apply?

saw your expert witness downstairs. Thanks for your worthless input. fuck off.

I realize having FP&A and corporate accounting experience isn't the sexiest and that is why I want to pursue an MBA to allow me to transition. I think I will have a harder time trying to transition into a different field pre mba especially in a short time period as I will apply in 2 years. Hopefully I am still somewhat attractive of a candidate to the school range I am applying for since I was the youngest person to ever get hired in my group of 7 people. Guess time will tell but appreciate the insight.

Dolores officia dolorem saepe qui. Ratione omnis quos qui tenetur consequatur. Blanditiis laboriosam aliquid est quaerat tempore odit necessitatibus. Qui assumenda accusantium cum aliquid et eius nobis autem. Eligendi officiis delectus fugiat aperiam itaque voluptas qui.

Quo nulla qui omnis pariatur ut distinctio. Dolorem iste et nemo et.

Dolor et facilis eaque nulla. Qui et asperiores voluptatem aperiam sint et est. Earum dignissimos qui sit perferendis et veniam nisi. Doloribus dolores laborum magni quae aliquid. Minima in rerum soluta officiis hic illo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”