Advice needed on career path - better work exp. for MBA on 2012

Hello everyone,

I am new on the forum even if I have been following it for a while, and I find it really interesting.

I am facing in these days an important decision to take and I would like to receive some advice on that since it would definitely influence my career path.
I work for big 4 consulting company since almost 2 years by now, within the practice of system integration consultig, where I work as a business analyst with packaged CRM processes/solutions (Siebel, Salesforce…). Unfortunately, thus far I have been stucked on one implementation project from more than 1.5 year.

Finally, now it's time to change project, and some doubts came with it. A partner of
the “Strategy” service line of my company told me that he sees in me good potentials for being employed within “strategy” projects and he would be happy if I asked to my partner to join their service line. On the other hand, my actual partner proposed me a role in another IT / process project, but with more responsibility and maybe better opportunities to get promoted faster (1 year less of the usual path, if I perform well).

Assuming that my goal for next year (2012) is to apply for an MBA (preferably world top 20), and my long-term goal is to break in into either strategy consulting or management position within a Fortune 500, I summarized my considerations as follows:

• Pros of going for a “strategy” project:
    • Basically for me the topics and issues would be more interesting and challenging, even if I am not really sure to be able to fit with it, since I come from a technical background (engineering) and never had experience in strategy before.
    • Maybe the work experience would be more valuable for a top MBA admission on the next year, since I could join different projects (they generally last less) within 1 year of Work Exp., and working on different business strategy and operations issues.

• Cons of going for “strategy” project:
    • I fear that changing now could not be a wise choice from the expertice point of view: After one year the result would be that I won’t be specialized neither in “strategy” topics nor on Processes/IT. As a strategy business analyst my career track would start from the scratch (I have to learn completely new things) while now I started to manage some junior resources on my project.
    • Given that, probably my career path would be just regular if I choose the “strategy” service line. Even if it could be more addressed for an MBA application, I guess that a consulting role with direct contact with the client, solid technical / processes background and a faster career track could be as much ppealing to the eyes of an MBA admission reviewer.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to share with me some considerations / advices.

Kind regards.

Squallita

Wow... I mean, I wouldn't worry about your experience, you're just fine in that category. But the GMAT is a grammar intensive exam... my biggest advice would be to start reading The Economist and reading it A LOT, because if you're going to get a good GMAT score your grammar is going to have to improve tremendously. It should help you with your essays as well.

Hello Croato87,

First of all thank you for your answer.

Croato87:
Wow... I mean, I wouldn't worry about your experience, you're just fine in that category. .

So you mean that either choices do not really differ from my final goal of applying to an MBA? This def. encourage me :-)

Croato87:
But the GMAT is a grammar intensive exam... my biggest advice would be to start reading The Economist and reading it A LOT, because if you're going to get a good GMAT score your grammar is going to have to improve tremendously. It should help you with your essays as well.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am aware that my written english sucks, I am better at speaking. Anyway, I was already planning to work on my grammar in order to get a good GMAT.

Best Response

Okay, second-hand info,

B-schools like seeing work experience. In fact it's almost considered a prerequisite (not really, but the majority of bschool students get work exp first). If you do strategy, it sounds like that is something that might put you over the edge at a school you had been on the fence at as far as admissions.

I take it you're ESL, if so your English is pretty good, if not, dude, get started studying grammar for GMAT. Either way you're going to need to work on your grammar, but if your english is that good as a second language, I'm sure you'll be able to improve it by leaps and bounds.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Beatae nihil sit rerum magni reiciendis natus suscipit. Exercitationem eum autem est accusantium. Deserunt sint molestias voluptatum vero rerum ab.

Minus ex sed vel et et. Sit ipsam et facilis dolor. Modi perferendis maiores ab. Cupiditate recusandae et voluptate. Quia est quos consequuntur occaecati autem quidem quo.

Nihil nobis porro quia accusantium. Quisquam neque natus eos voluptate. Similique perspiciatis ut laboriosam quidem sit. Facere beatae sit accusamus libero amet velit tempore odio. Sit impedit at omnis ut. Molestiae quasi qui et sint molestiae corporis aut. Repudiandae beatae officia ad sed consequatur quis.

Quaerat minima eligendi magni nobis corrupti sapiente eveniet. Ut vitae in quis commodi molestiae. Suscipit minus vitae incidunt itaque sit quia iusto. Animi non quae rerum assumenda aliquid accusantium est. Sint vel laudantium natus dolores quo ut est eveniet. Velit cupiditate et eveniet corrupti.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”