Q&A - Corporate Strategy at a F500 company

Hi - I have been a lurker for over 3 years now but finally made an account today. I work in corporate strategy at a F500 company. Have an Executive MBA from a Target School but never got an consulting experience. Before that I had product development and strategy experience at a another F100 company. While trying to change jobs, I went through a lot of corporate strategy interviewing and recruiting and would love to share the experience with the group here...

Financial Services Industry. I won't share more because it might become too easy to narrow down the company then.....My hours really vary but my boss is an ex-banker and everyone i work with are ex-MBB so hours could be very intense sometimes.....I love my work and eventually I want to be a GM within the company so I dont mind thinking about work even when i am not there....

snakeoil:

In what ways would a Corp Strat group engage with Corp Dev groups?

Pardon the stupid question, but what's the difference between the two groups?

Typical Day/Week really consists of 1-2 major projects/deals that we are working on. I support one of the C-level executives directly so I spend quite a bunch of time preparing decks for him that he presents to clients, mgmt comm, board, internal townhalls etc as well......these take longer than you would think because it's really articulating the strategy.... In terms of skills - In my specific case, it was helpful to have the ability to think analytically and solve problems.........relationship mgmt skills (specially with senior leaders) is very important....i do a lot of financial modeling as well (not M&A) so that was important too......i lived my life in powerpoint and excel so you need to be an expert in those 2.

Thanks for the AMA! Very interested in corporate strategy post-MBA. Two additional questions:

1) Do you feel like you missed anything by not having consulting experience before moving into your area?

2) Does your group use case interviews, behavioral/fit, or a combination when recruiting?

Interested in the healthcare industry? Join our group! http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/group/healthcare

1 - Yes, I think so. I never went through the typical OCR to never had the chance to recruit for MBB but I think if i go out and look for a job tomorrow, not having MBB on my resume would disqualify me from atleast 30-40% of the corp strategy jobs.....that being said, I think I could potentially network into one of those jobs......but if you have the opp and you dont have to take a big paycut to do so, i would recommend getting MBB on your resume...

2 - Yes. I have never encountered a Corp Strategy team that doesn't do a Case Interview along with everything else while recruiting.....

Thanks for doing this masun.

A few questions:

1) How did you land your strategy gig at the F100 you did prior to your role now?

2) How do you think IT consulting is viewed when trying to get into corporate strategy? Say someone goes IT consulting -> Top MBA. Do you know of any former IT consultants in your group?

3) And now the question everyone asks, what's the compensation and hierarchy like? Also how is salary progression? I've heard that comp is anywhere around $150k - $200k for a post-MBA corp strat role at a F500.

1- right out of undergrad recruiting. I recruited for a different role but was introduced to the strategy team because they had a specific need and I was just in the right place at the right time.

2 - it might be relevant if you are trying to do corp str at a tech company but might not make that much a diff anywhere else.....everyone in my current team is ex-MBB, ex corp str or ex banker

3- post MBA director level base is at 125k - 150kwith 15-20% bonus but I think it depends on experience. An MBB post MBA would prob come at a avp/VP level where base is over 225 k + bonus + stock

How important is target undergrad? How many of these groups even hire straight from undergrad?

Does every company have a corp strat group? Why do firms that have a strat group sometimes also hire MBB? That's kinda a kick in the nuts for the strat group, right?

Depends on the group. the company i was in recruits from undergrad......

i think most company have started having corp strategy and corp dev groups....my guess is 80% of F500 companies have probably some kind of str planning group...... Its not a kick at all......We def hire MBB or other consulting firms to do market research that we would typically not have access to or time for.

1. Could you answer the hours question with more specificity? What time do you get in every day? When do you leave when things are quiet versus slow? Weekend work?

2. I have been poking around at some Corp Strategy jobs, but coming from a hedge fund and I'm almost 10 years out of undergrad -- probably pretty atypical, right? Is an MBA a requirement?

3. Comp?

Best Response
grosse:

1. Could you answer the hours question with more specificity? What time do you get in every day? When do you leave when things are quiet versus slow? Weekend work?

2. I have been poking around at some Corp Strategy jobs, but coming from a hedge fund and I'm almost 10 years out of undergrad -- probably pretty atypical, right? Is an MBA a requirement?

3. Comp?

It varies based on the projects you are working. During year end last year when we have to finalize out strategic planning, I was working until 1 am every night for 2 weeks but there are times in the summer when I came in at 10 and left at 6......my hours are more intense than other corp strategy team but it's much more relaxed than being at a bank or at MBB

MBA is usually a requirement but it depends on your experience. If you have relevant experience it might not matter

A few ?'s, thanks for the AMA. How are ex-bankers received e.g. analysts coming from 2-3 years of M&A banking? Is there a formal process, HHs? Are they automatically funneled into Corp. Dev teams?

BBParty:

A few ?'s, thanks for the AMA. How are ex-bankers received e.g. analysts coming from 2-3 years of M&A banking? Is there a formal process, HHs? Are they automatically funneled into Corp. Dev teams?

Typically M&A Analysts would be recruited into Corp Dev at a Senior Manager Level (below director)......Usually HHs for recruiting but I did my whole recruiting via networking from alumni....I do know of Bankers going directly into Corp Strategy though but they were Associates...

masun2014:
BBParty:

Typically M&A Analysts would be recruited into Corp Dev at a Senior Manager Level (below director)......Usually HHs for recruiting but I did my whole recruiting via networking from alumni....I do know of Bankers going directly into Corp Strategy though but they were Associates...

Thanks, appreciate the insight.

mrharveyspecter:

How old are you?
How many years of F100 before you did your EMBA?
Where did you do your EMBA?
Was it easy to find your current job post EMBA? Like did you just go through OCR or did it take more effort on your end?

Thanks a lot!

• I am 32
  • 9.5 years of experience.....
  • One of the M7 schools
  • No.....i found the job through networking......

I am guessing you are pre-mba..... - Read white papers in industry and current trends or developments.... - Figure out some industry websites and bookmark them and try to read every day or 2 days..... - Read investor materials

I think Deloitte is fairly prestigious now so anyone from there with other decent work experience and target school shouldn't have an issue....... Same goes for Middle Market Banking background.....if not in a F500 corp str/corp dev team....you could probably end up at F1000 corp str/corp dev team

Hi I am not ensure if this is 100% relevant to this thread but like to give it a shot. It seems you have quite a lot of experience working in F500 companies. I am a recent grad working in a rotation program at a F500. One thing I find my self struggling with is understanding all the different opportunities available within the numerous departments.

My question is, during your experience working, was there any position that you thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend someone to try and pursue? At this point in my career, I am still trying get a grasp at what my interests/end goals buy instead want to get my feet wet learn as much as possible.

Apologies beforehand if my question is irrelevant to this thread and out of your scope to answer.

I think you should aim to get into the corp strategy team after the rotational program is done.....or any other corp level team that gives you an overview of the company......this will help you understand which parts of the company are growing and then give you a better understanding of where you want to go into an operational role.......obviously along with your interests....

Is it common for people with extensive corporate finance experience to move into corp strat or dev? I feel that in those positions you have an excellent holistic view of the company and all of its cost and revenue drivers - the skills, not all but many, seem fairly transferable, the question is does it happen and are politics and pedigree expectations (i.e. M7/MBB) a big barrier to that?

every single person in a strategy role at my company (Corp Str\/Corp Dev\/Other Strategy Roles) has a M7 MBA, except analysts and associates.......... i dont think it is impossible but I think a part time or exec MBA would help....it all depends on who is running the group...what their preferences are....What your responsibilities in finance entail... From what you are saying, seems like you are in finance group where you have a have a good understanding of the strategy as well so I would say nothing should stop you from trying....I would try to make one of the corp str guys a mentor and go from there....

Would a business/sales ops/strategy role allow you to internally move into corp strat/dev teams in the firm or would hiring managers always prefer a banker/MBB consultant vs internal hire? Or does it just depend on how 'good' the internal hire is in their current team?

Could you do top target -> F500 business/sales ops/strategy -> top MBA -> corp strategy in same sector as F500?

Do you have business/sales ops teams in your company? What's the career progression like as I heard these teams work together a lot with BI and corp strat/dev.

I think it depends on the work you do within that team....The hiring manager would almost always prefere hiring the corp str/MBB but could potentially make exceptions depending on experience...

If you are doing a MBA though and the trying to move into a position via OCR....you shouldnt have to worry too much about your previous experience holding you up for a job in the same sector....it should be smooth sailing...

masun2014:

I think it depends on the work you do within that team....The hiring manager would almost always prefere hiring the corp str/MBB but could potentially make exceptions depending on experience...

If you are doing a MBA though and the trying to move into a position via OCR....you shouldnt have to worry too much about your previous experience holding you up for a job in the same sector....it should be smooth sailing...

Nice thanks! SB'd.

What are the exit ops?

If heading towards the c-level, what role in particular? Moreover, if heading to the c-level, how would you fair having only a strat/dev focus, but not actually operating, selling, or producing in the company previously?

May not be comparing apples to apples here but in where I work, which is one of the energy supermajors, the corp dev/strategy teams are mostly consisted of people with previous experience running the business itself (e.g. engineering, exploration) with addition of several others (MBAs, finance, MBB). The point is that MBA degrees are minority rather the majority, which is opposite to your company.

Any insights on what you'd do to go do strategy on higher level work?

Non-target (top 50 US, story was that I could live with family, keep my HS job and I paid college 100% myself) with OK GPA(>3.0, internships Math-econ major with minors in stats and accounting. Considering MS from top 20 uni in the area. Currently work at F100, merging with other F100 to become F50. Senior analyst in Analytics group within Engineering and Ops, some strategy type work but more of a report making focus following a reorg where my SVP was let go. Former SVP hired me on as an experienced hire straight out of UG to "lure me from McKinsey". I didn't tell him Mc would never recruit from my uni. A lot of work has a quantitative focus and I split my time between coding and making presentations look pretty.

Provident et voluptatem quasi dolores est laboriosam fugiat. Sit qui laboriosam rerum rem qui dolores. Facilis dolorem optio iure enim soluta nihil. Reprehenderit blanditiis quasi excepturi deleniti odit. Eos eos commodi ut at sit qui libero eveniet.

Alias odit aut cumque placeat. Mollitia rerum aut necessitatibus et ipsa quia nulla molestias. Qui suscipit nulla et ipsam cumque. Accusamus odit ab ut nesciunt et qui veritatis quasi. Voluptatem iure adipisci quod qui voluptatem. Officiis rerum similique ea debitis officiis commodi vitae.

Dicta maiores nemo hic deleniti. Est harum unde sint provident eveniet. Labore architecto sunt tempore voluptas.

Aut omnis possimus voluptas reprehenderit nobis molestiae suscipit. Ea esse nihil fugit laborum consectetur.

Quos nostrum consectetur corporis et. Doloremque quos aspernatur aut et quae. Dolorem recusandae sapiente similique adipisci ratione dolorem. Et eveniet qui enim sequi. Sed voluptates molestiae nihil ab dignissimos.

Sit quas reprehenderit repudiandae fugiat deserunt. Exercitationem reiciendis possimus similique tempore perspiciatis hic.

Quisquam sed dolores ratione dolorum quam porro fugit. Ut voluptatem nihil est culpa. Quos occaecati possimus fuga animi. Laudantium illo quam atque quos aut voluptas.

Voluptatem cumque nulla nostrum voluptatem. Ut impedit illo doloremque sed. Aliquam quia quis doloribus quia nostrum quisquam. Et aperiam sunt culpa. Omnis tempora quia maxime autem recusandae doloremque corrupti dolores.

Et molestias quis error atque maiores dolores. Officiis nihil doloremque a autem. Error nisi et dolor sit voluptatum aut. Ipsum quis qui aperiam voluptas et et eligendi.

Cum architecto eum eius quo dolore dignissimos. Consequatur qui vel ea est vero tenetur enim.

Voluptatem asperiores pariatur iusto autem facere odit inventore. Consequatur porro quod explicabo ut. Laborum sunt velit placeat sunt sequi ullam. Qui reiciendis et magni praesentium enim iure enim. Mollitia quas tenetur in numquam est nam aliquid. Maxime voluptatem aut molestiae et sit sequi sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”