Any predictions for presidential nominees? Hillary seems like the obvious answer for Democrats (unless Biden pulls a fast one), while the GOP currently seems pretty fragmented (Huckabee, Romney, Bush, Cruz, etc), but have a bit more of a selection than they did 2012. And who's your currently favorite candidate?

Favorite color that isn't green? And finally, who is the most interesting person you've ever had a conversation with?

nkhanlegend:

Any predictions for presidential nominees? Hillary seems like the obvious answer for Democrats (unless Biden pulls a fast one), while the GOP currently seems pretty fragmented (Huckabee, Romney, Bush, Cruz, etc), but have a bit more of a selection than they did 2012. And who's your currently favorite candidate?

Favorite color that isn't green? And finally, who is the most interesting person you've ever had a conversation with?

Clinton and Bush would be my best guesses. We're turning into a dynastic society, unfortunately. I have no favorite.........they're politicians.

Lehman green is my favorite and dollar green is my second favorite.

Believe it or not, Joe Gregory. He was a dynamic person who could talk at length about a large array of topics. He was funny too.

LongandShortofit:

Any new year's resolutions?

Also, could you give some advice on role transitions (not career transitions). For example moving from an individual contributor role to a management role or from an execution role to a relationship building (origination) role.

Thank you

@brooksfit with the same question: try to be a little kinder and gentler.

The best way to transition roles, is to start doing the role before you are formally offered the position. Want to be a rainmaker? Start bringing deals in......don't wait until someone tells you that you have to start bringing deals in to get a meaningful bonus. Want to be in management? Start developing and guiding your team before you are given the formal posiion. That's how you'll position yourself well for the job you want.

wilder01:

If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming S&T summer analyst at a BB, what would it be?

I won't limit it to one thing, but I'll keep it short. Hustle, have a positive attitude, pay attention to what others are doing, learn the lingo, ask questions....but only ask the same question one time, do NOT think you are above certain tasks, realize you actually don't know anything, meet as many people on the floor as you can, go to the social events and talk to people there.

Chimp_and_jeez:

if you are a young person just starting out in finance today, where would you put yourself? Where do you think is the best place in finance now that offer the best future growth opportunity?

I would go on the hedge fund path. The industry is much less burdened by regulations that are hurting all of the big banks, which gives you more freedom and the possibility of better compensation.

Depending on your personality, I actually think wealth management is a decent career choice as well. The compensation potential there is still good and it is one of the only truly entrepreneurial positions still left in big banks. (@"thebrofessor" care to add to this?). The problem is that it is tough to get going unless you join a team or already have a good network of people that would buy from you. It's not ideal coming directly out of school either, nobody my age likes to give money to people younger than their own kids.

Best Response

don't get me started DF, this could turn into another blog.

short answer: if you're comfortable working your ass to the bone for a few years trying to make rain, then yes it's a great career, and I personally think aside from being a surf instructor, it's the best career in the world.

things to consider: how much do you know about the business? are you comfortable in sales? do you have a passion for investing? and I mean investing, not just modelling and talking about TSLA and TWTR. are you ok with getting rich slowly (by this I mean you will not likely break six figures until your late 20s/early 30s but will have much steadier income than your friends in other industries)?

the biggest thing young people have to get over is the selling aspect. many smart people belittle sales, thinking it's beneath them. if you're comfortable with sales and know what type of work it takes to make it in this business, then go for it.

I think WM is a great career for someone in their mid/late 20s, probably not straight out of UG though. If it is straight out of UG, start as a sales assistant/analyst and try to get noticed by a team after several years.

DickFuld:
Chimp_and_jeez:

if you are a young person just starting out in finance today, where would you put yourself? Where do you think is the best place in finance now that offer the best future growth opportunity?

I would go on the hedge fund path. The industry is much less burdened by regulations that are hurting all of the big banks, which gives you more freedom and the possibility of better compensation.

Depending on your personality, I actually think wealth management is a decent career choice as well. The compensation potential there is still good and it is one of the only truly entrepreneurial positions still left in big banks. (@thebrofessor care to add to this?). The problem is that it is tough to get going unless you join a team or already have a good network of people that would buy from you. It's not ideal coming directly out of school either, nobody my age likes to give money to people younger than their own kids.

What age are you if I may ask?

DickFuld:
Chimp_and_jeez:

Depending on your personality, I actually think wealth management is a decent career choice as well. The compensation potential there is still good and it is one of the only truly entrepreneurial positions still left in big banks. (@thebrofessor care to add to this?). The problem is that it is tough to get going unless you join a team or already have a good network of people that would buy from you. It's not ideal coming directly out of school either, nobody my age likes to give money to people younger than their own kids.

What age are you if I may ask?

TopChedder:

I'm stuck at a Big 4 auditing. Most efficient/effective way to break into HF/finance in general?

I never worked at a hedge fund, so I don't have any specifics there. In general, it's going to be to demonstrate to people how you can add value. You can't demonstrate value if you're not in contact, so it is absolutely crucial that you get in front of the right people. Once you get in touch, you should be able to answer technical questions Relating to the field you want to join. Maybe show them some algorithms you've developed if you're trying to join a quant fund, or a stock/bond pitch that lays out an investment thesis backed by a lot of dat, or you show your modeling skills or sales ability. It would sort of depend on the position you were shooting for.

Hey Dick, care to share your thoughts on Hank Paulson? Lol

I've seen you make several remarks before in regards to commercial banks before, but I just wanted to know, what are you thoughts careers in commercial/corp banking

MIAMonkey:

Hey Dick, care to share your thoughts on Hank Paulson? Lol

I've seen you make several remarks before in regards to commercial banks before, but I just wanted to know, what are you thoughts careers in commercial/corp banking

Hank Paulson....biggest asshole on the planet.

I never worked at a commercial bank. Obviously, it's a much steadier job than anything at an investment bank, but to me, it's just too boring lending out money to the top tier credits where there is such a small return involved. If someone else feels differently, that's fine by me too.

Huge thanks for doing this Dick, really enjoy reading your responses.

I was reading about how Lehman had to move their trading floor from the world trade center to a hotel in Jersey City in lieu of the 9/11 attacks. Out of curiosity, I was wondering what that process was like? How the hell were you able to get a working trading floor up and running only 48 hours after the attacks?

"My name's Ralph Cox, and I'm from where ever's not gonna get me hit"

FeedMeDealFlow:

Huge thanks for doing this Dick, really enjoy reading your responses.

I was reading about how Lehman had to move their trading floor from the world trade center to a hotel in Jersey City in lieu of the 9/11 attacks. Out of curiosity, I was wondering what that process was like? How the hell were you able to get a working trading floor up and running only 48 hours after the attacks?

Well, that's not exactly true. We were in the World Financial Center before 9/11, which is across the street from the WTC. We had to temporarily put our banking unit in a hotel a few blocks north of our soon to be headquarters in Manhattan, while our trading operations were housed in Jersey City in what was previously only housing our ops department, until we took over 745 7th Ave.

To wire our new trading floor so quickly was a Herculean effort. One employee went out as soon as the attacks happened and bought as much copper wire as he could find. If it wasn't for that, who knows what would have happened to us. The general feeling at Lehman and probably in New York in general at that time was that we neede to get back to normal as quickly as possible. The efforts that our employees put in after 9/11 were nothing short of heroic to get us there.

DickFuld:
greengohome:

I'll be heading to business school in NYC this fall, returning to the US after 13 years in Latin America. Any advice on how to get the most out of the experience, both socially and professionally?

@mbavsmfin

@OpsDude

Go outside your comfort zone. A lot of people from LATAM only associate with other people from LATAM...but the people who have the most fun, and end up with the best jobs, are people who talk to everyone.

AY01:

First off love your commentaries.......What is your advice for someone coming out of the military that is seeking opportunities in the industry?

It would largely be the same as anyone else, in that you should contact people and show your value. However, who you should contact and your value proposition are likely to be different given the likelihood that other veterans are to help you and how your experiences will make you different than a 22 year old college grad. How exactly to position that, I would not be the most qualified to say.

Khayembii:

How was your experience at NYU? What did you like/dislike? What's your opinion of the school today?

How did you manage to rise so rapidly within Lehman? Any specific examples of how this played out for you?

NYU was fine. I was a part-timer, so it's not the same experience as going full-time. I think it's a great school. We actually had a huge contingent of people that we sponsored at Lehman to do a part-time NYU program and had classes at the firm.

I rose because of a number of factors, some in and some out of my control. I worked really hard which helped. I was also tied to Lew Glucksman who was a true Wall Street legend. That probably helped me more than any other single factor. That being said, clearly I did something to impress him so that he brought me with him early in my career.

Thank you for the answer DickFuld! (SBed as it is much deserved!!!!)

About the HF path--which strategies do you think are more sustainable/profitable going forward? I don't mean to ask for a prediction of future market situations and which strategies can perform better under these circumstances; but rather, I was wondering if there are particular strategies that have become way too crowded (equities long short? Im just guessing here...) or that have become unsustainable going forward due to changes in time and market (futures speculation?)? It seems activist and distressed have done well in past decades, but partially because they were quite new. What would you say are on your radar now?

Thanks DickFuld!

DickFuld:
Chimp_and_jeez:

ilc22:

Who do you think will win the oscars this year (Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, Best Film, Best Director)

What is your favorite movie for 2014?

Which third world country has the best pay for sex programs?

I don't watch movies.

Are you planning a trip? Your Mom was pretty good, so wherever she's working would be a good choice.

Banquero:

Hey Dick how did you come across the mentors you have had in your lifetime? How did you approach them and ask to be a mentee?

At work and doing something that impressed them. You NEVER ask someone to be your mentor. That would be one of the more awkward things I could imagine. It something that just happens naturally when someone sees potential in you. Please do not ask someone to be your mentor.

Still lurking and feeding Patrick ideas when I can. Would love to spend more time here but I'm in the midst of a quixotic adventure to get the C-suite to stop focusing on short term results, narrow the pay gap between CEO and janitor to something more reasonable than 354:1, and generally stave off the coming GINI coefficient bloodletting.

I'll let you guys know if I'm able to move the needle.

Stillearning:

@DickFuld, do you consider "face-time" as essential to being a successful employee in a firm?

It seems like when analysts work the so-called "100 hours a week," some of these hours are just wasted as analysts are forced to put on "face-time" at the office, with nothing productive to do.

If I was still at Lehman, I would probably answer this a little more deftly, but it doesn't exist so I will be as forthright as possible. Yes, it matters because analysts need to be there to do the grunt work and be there when something urgent needs to be done. Once you are responsible for generating revenue, face time doesn't really matter. But when you are someone who supports the revenue generators (like Analysts), you don't matter very much. If that sounds harsh, keep in mind you get a job that pays well, sets you up for a lucrative career, and I could get at least 100 highly qualified kids to take your spot at a moment's notice. Sometimes you need to take the good with the bad. When you don't generate revenue your value is very nebulous and face time becomes more and more of a requirement.

If that doesn't seem reasonable, go generate some revenue yourself and come and go as you please. Nobody will really care at that point.

ibank1228:

Love that you're doing this Mr. Fuld!
As a freshman in college, what is the best way to begin building a professional network?

Start working after you graduate. I honestly don't know how you can build much of a professional network when you're still in school. To me, a professional network means people you can do business with, people who you would hire or would hire you and things like that. Maybe you have a different definition?

Can you start building some contacts? Probably. You could start reaching out to industry alums and what-not, but my guess is that seems a little early. Maybe some younger people closer to the situation could provide some guidance......it has been a while since I was in this situation, to put it mildly.

Recommended reading? Did you take a part time job as an undergrad? Why is Mayweather ducking Pacquaio?

[quote=mbavsmfin]I don't wear watches bro. Because it's always MBA BALLER time! [/quote]

Ut dolores dolore et aut soluta. Quibusdam voluptatem error maiores quia atque aut. Voluptatem aut nemo laudantium magnam qui perferendis nihil.

Eius maiores molestiae voluptas et voluptatem est excepturi adipisci. Neque in accusamus est perferendis hic. Et modi minus illum ipsa dignissimos tempora sit.

Praesentium aut aut expedita quibusdam necessitatibus. Quidem repudiandae quae animi deserunt aspernatur fugiat necessitatibus sapiente. Possimus odit nisi illo consequatur. Laborum dolorem at quia voluptatem molestiae eos quia. Quod rerum vel enim quidem quia iste rerum minus. Molestiae exercitationem aut et dolor.

Velit enim odit laborum sunt culpa cumque. Voluptatem quam nulla et facere eum. Dolore voluptate tenetur ipsam non nostrum eius sunt dolores. Rerum quia at error dolore pariatur repudiandae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”