Assistant Trader Internship Program 2011

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the posts on this particular forum and I am looking for some help from the board...I am currently attending Rider University, located in NJ and I am majoring in finance. I have been trading penny stocks for 6yrs, day trading them for about a year now and doing quite well. I have begun applying at a few locations for summer internship programs and I am awaiting to hear back from some companies.

Does anyone have any advice as to a decent prop. trading firm or a trading firm that will be willing to speak to a NON-IVY league student with a high GPA and an excellent understanding of the financial markets? I am 7 & 66 licensed already (used to be a financial advisor) and i want to trade....this is my passion...all help and guidance would be greatly appreciated as I know from my own research this is a vigorous process and simply finding an internship is in itself a challenge.

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Best Response
shorttheworld:
i think if you have a good educational background and can show that u have the fin markets experience and knowledge you need to show it -- show little set up of your trading strategies and plays (detailed and long and drawn out and lots of them-- like a pitchbook) and whatnot and send it in with your cover letter
That is a good idea, this is one of the reasons I joined this site...just to pick up whatever additional information that may help increase my chances...one large call I made was a few years back when gold (commodity) was at 690 /oz, I was telling my family and friends to load the boat, some listened others didnt however those that did not still say "how did you see that coming" lol to me it was an obvious but that is what seperates us traders, vision, strategy, and cahones. lol
"The science of trading, is knowing when to buy a stock...the art is knowing what time to sell."

I was an advisor a yr ago, so my licenses are active. Rider is not really on the radars but it is a good school. My gpa currently stands at 3.9 and I have thought of going for a MSF but I want to get my career started. I am good at what I do, I have a success rate of 60-70% which is very high relative to average trader performance.

"The science of trading, is knowing when to buy a stock...the art is knowing what time to sell."

I applied late to get into Barclays summer intern program and I recently applied to SIG, though from what I have heard and read, if you get a call from these guys you should consider yourself lucky...

All I need is a chance, I like your idea for the cover letter...I know I can articulate my strategies in a way that would show my experience in this game of emotion.

shorttheworld:
damn i go to sleep and i get question marked lol... you need to put more into it than 'omg i bought google at 185 off the ipo lol so smart!' and stuff.. in detail and why it was a good trade etc etc
Oh lol believe me I have strategies, im not claiming to be "the man" but what I have done has worked for me to date. I can swing trade, day trade, and scalp....I love the short-term trading, its like taking candy from a baby in most instances. I really liked your input on adding my strategies to my rsume behind my cover letter...this will show the reviewing co. an insight into my thought process, though trading technicals to me is like breathing air, it just makes perfect sense. Where are you an analst at?

EarTotheStreet:
I suggest applying to MSFs in cities like ny, chicago, houston and work at the same time going to grad school. You have to work your way up the ranks.
I am working on my BSs right now, and I am trying to at minimum gain an internship as an assistant trader at any firm. I know once given this chance I can prove myself to the company which grants me the opportunity. The most difficult part of this process from what I can see is getting that opportunty...a lot of people claim they can trade but I do it currently for my own acount, and if by the time I finish school my account is large enough andif I have not received my opportunity, I will trade for myself and start my own private firm...thats worst case scenario for me...

syaffa12:
If trading for you is like taking candy from a baby, why would you even consider trading for anyone but yourself?
Currently i am building my portoflio and if i can build it up enough, which is going well so far, I will simply trade for myself. I still would like the sense of fulfillment of being able to say I trade on wall st as opposed to I trade for myself...either or would not be bad, I guess its just fulfilling a dream that pushes me to try and get on wall st....believe me, if/when I have the ability to trade for myself and reap 100% of the successes i create....I will def. quit trying to get a job and enjoy trading in ma briefs while drinkin coffee. Trading is easy, its the emotions that first have to be tamed, after that its persistance in 1) strategy 2.) execution of the strategy...and yes there is a huge difference there. Finding what works for one may not work for others, I happen to be very good at playing the stock game (and yes it is a game). My overall success rate is roughly 65% which is quite high, and I anticipate it will remain at above average success levels as long as I follow rules one and two...see above.

You need to check your attitude or you will never land a job. There is a difference between being confident and being arrogant. Trading companies (like any type of company) want to hire people who are willing to learn, not people who think they already know everything.

XPJ:
You need to check your attitude or you will never land a job. There is a difference between being confident and being arrogant. Trading companies (like any type of company) want to hire people who are willing to learn, not people who think they already know everything.

Im not being arrogant, my apologies if you took that away from my post.

shorttheworld:
i dont think hes being arrogant i think hes being strongminded in his efforts and the like. mindset he has to have.

i got a lot of shit for being 'cocky' or arrogant from some people growing up because i refused to back down from things and its worked well thus far for me :>

I appreciate the comment. You correctly read into my post and that was my intention...in this business its be the silverback gorilla, or his prey...I could be cocky and let eveyone know how much I made today, but I choose to maintain as humble a deamenor as I can. BTW today was one of my biggest single trade porfits I have made...going to keep aiming high, and either a firm will take a chance on me someday, or I will trade for myself....either way, I will have achieved my one goal...to trade stocks for a living, which makes me happy, and that is what i wish anyone entering the corporate world...whatever one does, make sure it makes you happy, because at the end of the day you only answer to yourself when you look in the mirror.

Laborum aut beatae ea reprehenderit qui est eos. Sapiente eaque eos temporibus aliquid et qui. Doloremque et magni debitis. Nemo dolores ipsam eos omnis aut dolores sunt. Accusamus sunt qui doloremque minima repudiandae expedita nihil fugit.

Est aspernatur sit ipsam tempore voluptatem et. Ipsam nesciunt aut incidunt atque distinctio autem voluptates id. Architecto sapiente ratione rerum explicabo. Praesentium et autem dignissimos consequatur enim. Excepturi quis dignissimos ab voluptate. Ut eaque ex quia neque velit esse dolore. Itaque doloremque voluptas hic tempore qui natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”