Well, it was like that during undergrad too. A couple of times a year someone arranged nice trips to various locations. Either skiing, trips to Europe, or whatever. Obviously not the high-roller locations that top Business schools aim for, but same concept.

The people that went those events had more to talk about, and formed a stronger bond. And those are the people that still talk with each other regularly, and help each other out on the job market.

Sucks if you have obligations like family, work, or maybe just don't have the cash...but that's how it works. Well worth if you have the money. People throw away ridiculous amounts of money on lots of useless shit, but building a network is legit. ESPECIALLY at that level.

Best Response

It's all part of the experience and more than worth it. I actually don't like traveling THAT much, but I do it because I know this will be the LAST time in my entire life when I can travel and party without any responsibility or obligation. This will also be the last time that a large group of friends can travel together to various locales throughout the world. A bunch of WSO posters have raised the following objection when I discussed this in other posts: if you have friends, you can always travel with them. True, but it's extremely difficult to arrange a vacation when you and your buddies are working high-pressured jobs with ridiculous hours. And forget about getting together a group of 140 people for a ski trip or a group of 60 to Rio, etc. The lack of real-world responsibility combined with an endless array of social options and really smart interesting classmates is what makes a top MBA experience so worthwhile. Yes, we are here to ultimately get a job, but I would've kicked myself in the balls if all I have to show for my MBA investment is an office job. Relationships, experiences, and memories are what make this short life worthwhile.

At my elite undergrad, I was one of the poorest kids in school and felt extremely alienated socially. Lot of the kids looked down on me due to my background, so it was tough to assimilate into the social scene. Such is not the case in b-school. Of course there are tons of rich people here (lot of heirs to international fortunes, a son of an extremely prominent former U.S. politician, a daughter of a major BB CEO, etc., are all at my school). However, I never got the sense that there was social division or a hierarchy. We all hang out together, and almost everyone is super chill, ready to meet new people. Overall it's been an amazing experience that will never be replicated.

One final note. It's interesting but not surprising that the schools where they spend the most on trips are the top programs. B-school is the opposite of undergrad: the better the school, the more fun it is. This is because at the elite b-schools grades truly don't matter, and you know you will get a solid job coming out, so you can devote your time and energy to what really matters. USC undergrad is a lot more fun than Harvard undergrad, but HBS blows away USC Marshall out of the water when it comes to fun and partying. And I guarantee you that every USC student will agree with that.

StJamesPark:
mbavsmfin:

Lot of the kids looked down on me due to my background

We all look down on you because of your background too! Some things just never change.

This is guy is the biggest clown on WSO these days. @"StJamesPark" you classified idiot, GTFO of threads if you don't have anything productive to contribute.

StJamesPark is right

I am your classmate mbavsmfin and I still look down on you because you are a lowly EMBA student. You're not even a traditional FT MBA student. Completely different programs with different admission standards and we can't help but look down on you.

Nope, not in EMBA. You obviously have no idea who I am.

So StJamesPark has written a bunch of posts attacking me, and then a brand new poster with 1 point shows up to make false claims. Interesting indeed.

mbavsmfin:

At my elite undergrad, I was one of the poorest kids in school and felt extremely alienated socially. Lot of the kids looked down on me due to my background, so it was tough to assimilate into the social scene.

Have you ever considered the possibility that it was just you and your personality - not your background? When you say shit like "at my elite undergrad," it's pretty easy to see why you couldn't assimilate into the social scene.
mbavsmfin:

Relationships, experiences, and memories are what make this short life worthwhile.

This is the smartest thing you've ever said.

[quote=the_stig]

mbavsmfin:

At my elite undergrad, I was one of the poorest kids in school and felt extremely alienated socially. Lot of the kids looked down on me due to my background, so it was tough to assimilate into the social scene.

Have you ever considered the possibility that it was just you and your personality - not your background? When you say shit like "at my elite undergrad," it's pretty easy to see why you couldn't assimilate into the social scene.

This is what I meant in my first post. I thought that was funny haha. Shoulda gone Will Hunting on those privileged trust fund kiddos Brady, that's what a true alpha would have done.

A lot of kids at my college openly made fun of those from less fortunate backgrounds. A lot of the social clubs also only accepted those from similar backgrounds, not to mention the lavish winter/spring break trips that these kids would go on. Of course, this does not describe the majority of my classmates, but this culture certainly permeated the campus. I think it's gotten better since I was there due to more generous financial aid.

yup thats me on my spoof account

and although it seems you have been outed by others, i for one, not knowing your true identity, mock you not for your background but for your ludicrous value system and hilarious opinions. my earlier comment was meant sarcastically, considering its an anonymous board, but maybe this no longer holds for you.

You're entitled to your opinion.

No, I have not been outed. Several others have made false claims regarding my school/program, so I exchanged private messages with one of them, and it became clear that he had no idea who I was. There are only a handful of WSO posters who know my IRL identity, and I'm pretty sure that none of them will out me.

I know exactly who you are mbavsmfin

Stop lying to us that you're not an EMBA student. Not even a traditional FT student and everyone knows EMBAs get looked down upon

I think it's a bit of misnomer to call it all "networking". I'm going to Brazil, Las Vegas, Mardi Gras, India, etc because I want to go there, and have wanted to go there for a long-time. Sure, it'll be great to deepen bonds, but it's a bit intellectually dishonest to allocate 100% of the cost to "networking", when that's not even the primary reason I go on these expensive trips.

That's just a click bate article. Law school kids take their post bar trip. Med school kids take their pre-residency trips. Bschool kids take their trips too. Nothing to do with networking just hanging out with friends with a lot of free time. Also, its not like people with good jobs don't take nice trips with their friends.

While I do think some people go overboard with their trips in school, in my opinion/experience it was mostly the kids that hadn't really traveled all that much and were kinda trying to make up for lost time.

Sure. However, again, what this article doesn't address is that unlike law/med kids or other grad school kids, bschoolers are late 20s to early 30s and have already banked some loot. Additionally, to my point about apples to apples comparison, to older you get the nicer shit people tend to do. Average age at bschool is much higher than law or med, or what ever else. Stuff is more extravagant because the demographics are older and with more money. Also, there are more trips because academically bschool is a joke. If it was as rigorous as law/med school it would be more similar and Visa versa.

Yup. Our trips blow away the college/med/law trips out of the water. I am insulted that a poster actually tried to compare us. It's very known that other grad students envy us MBAs for our carefree lifestyle, parties and traveling, and yet still getting great jobs coming out. Their envy is a pretty massive one.

For spring break, I'm leaning towards doing yacht week at British Virgin Islands. Shortly after that, Vegas trip where there will be 400 MBA students total from like a dozen schools, just having a crazy time at clubs and pool parties. This will be in addition to power networking sessions and meals at really nice restaurants.

Business school>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>undergrad

mbavsmfin:

Yup. Our trips blow away the college/med/law trips out of the water. I am insulted that a poster actually tried to compare us. It's very known that other grad students envy us MBAs for our carefree lifestyle, parties and traveling, and yet still getting great jobs coming out. Their envy is a pretty massive one.

For spring break, I'm leaning towards doing yacht week at British Virgin Islands. Shortly after that, Vegas trip where there will be 400 MBA students total from like a dozen schools, just having a crazy time at clubs and pool parties. This will be in addition to power networking sessions and meals at really nice restaurants.

Business school>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>undergrad

BTW troll, both of my friends also traveled partied a TON before going to b school. And both of them also never mention/brag about their trips, I only know because they get tagged on FB photos. Where do you go to school, Wharton?

Crazy times at clubs. Meals at really nice restaurants. Do these things even happen outside of MBA business schools ">M7 MBA programs? I guess we all have to go get MBAs to really experience life.

Look bro, you just don't get it. Go to a top b-school and experience it for yourself and then get back to me. Or you can also read posts by CompBanker, OpsDude, and other MBA business schools ">M7 students who have ALL said that b-school is an epic time.

mbavsmfin:

Look bro, you just don't get it. Go to a top b-school and experience it for yourself and then get back to me. Or you can also read posts by CompBanker, OpsDude, and other MBA business schools ">M7 students who have ALL said that b-school is an epic time.

The trips in business school are pretty great (we're renting a beach house in Brazil for spring break), but I do agree age is a major factor. I was taking exciting/expensive trips before business school, whereas most law/medical students were not...So it's not really an apple-to-apple comparison. The trips are fun, but it's not like its opening up a different world of travel - more of an extension of previous travel habits...just more frequent, with more friends. I do love it though, and I highly recommend everyone who is on the fence about attending Business school should do so (Doesn't even need to be MBA business schools ">M7, ~top 15 while give you the same experiences.)

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/finance/going-concern>Going Concern</a></span>:

B-school is like joining a frat...paying for friends

I was in a fraternity in UG and will attending b-school in fall.. I will tell you this: If you can't make friends before joining a fraternity / b-school, you won't be making friends if you join a fraternity / b-school.

Plenty of outcasts in my fraternity that nobody hung out with because they were dicks or out of touch with reality.

Brady, I have no doubt the two years spent doing a top MBA are a fuckin blast. If I ever do an MBA I'm sure it will be an awesome time. The difference is I won't be on WSO telling everyone how wet my panties are because I went to a Las Vegas club or got my passport stamped for the first time or met some really successful like-minded ('alpha') student colleagues.

Nisi ducimus corrupti quas dolore. Odit accusantium dolorem sint totam. Officiis molestiae provident ipsum ut voluptatum doloribus non. Vitae accusamus aut magni necessitatibus.

Id voluptatibus quia excepturi sed. Deserunt ut ea laborum dolores officia tempore rerum velit. Distinctio vel nemo tempora at. Tempore maiores dolore voluptatem ut aut in. Iure laboriosam ut eos velit rerum earum debitis aut.

Ut hic id recusandae quia. Ea eos est laboriosam quae. Sit maiores inventore architecto qui natus voluptatem commodi. Similique quasi et ipsam eligendi. Sit non est sequi ut quam. Voluptatem dignissimos ut nihil voluptate et accusamus neque. Error quos laboriosam distinctio enim aut.

Voluptatibus et est inventore illo qui ab. Molestias hic et voluptas itaque aut quo. Est voluptatum autem voluptas quis ad quisquam suscipit. Blanditiis porro odio omnis sint. Voluptate sit odit esse quo exercitationem quo. Iusto nisi iste et tenetur a.

Et molestiae officiis commodi et dolorum et repudiandae aspernatur. Facilis voluptatum rerum corporis. Nostrum nobis tempore harum quae. Ipsum dolorem quia qui et quia dolores. Dolores facilis est nemo eius.

Sint est qui illo. Qui neque sint dolorum officia. Corporis illo vero impedit doloribus et ad. Aut quod velit molestiae quo adipisci.

Architecto in voluptatum eum tenetur. Architecto mollitia temporibus fugit aut aperiam rerum mollitia. Nihil voluptatem esse deleniti voluptate reprehenderit. Nihil vero cupiditate dicta quo labore sint. Et dolor iusto voluptatem nemo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”