BofA/ML Drug Test

Word is that BofA/ML private wealth management new hires are not getting drug tested. Can anyone shed some light on this? I have a friend who, in view of this information, has continued to blaze regularly, and we're curious if that's a bad idea. (Note: I'm not here to debate morals or character or religion or whatever else you might want to tie to marijuana use.)

If they don't drug test now, will they drug test later on, and if so, is there a required warning period? Any information would be valuable. Thanks in advance,
BP

bananapeel:
So...you know nothing and have contributed nothing to the thread. Thank you pennypacker, sweet. Does anyone actually know what the deal is with the (non-existent) drug test?

You're welcome. And feel free to message me in the future about any of your other postings, so that I may show up and contribute in a similar manner. I love you, happy father's day.

Anyway, dickhead, it is a part of HRs job to search the internet for postings like this. Hell, on Friday the head correspondent for the Fed had a response to a Dealbreaker posting within minutes, DURING TGeith's hearing, and she obviously has more important things to do than BoaML HR. It is unlikely they'd decide to test after finding out online that one of their incoming employees is a cheebmeist, but it isn't exacly a responsible post on your part. Good luck.

I would just tell your friend to stop smoking no matter what the actual drug test policy is. College is one thing, but when you have a full time job or SA slot. Probably a good idea to stop, who knows what surprising tests a firm can pull. If he gets caught it is pretty much game over, and good luck explaining why you got let go in the next interview.

Best Response

Honestly, Ibanking and especially wealth management are both not very challenging intellectually. I could be a successful ibanker high the entire time, smoking dankness constantly. Excel is easy, everything is easy, pitches are easy, the job just isn't for smart people. its for either dumb tools or motivated kids who are preparing there qualifications for something more intellectually rigorous. anyone who's worth anything would agree with me i hope.

anyways, i have strong views on the quality of banking, but thats probably because i'm a bit smarter than most of you (jk sorta), or at least the average poster on here (just based on what i've been reading on this forum).

but you aren't here to debate morals, etc. - if HR does not inform you advance of a drug test, you don't have one. So rest easy my friends.

big unit:
Honestly, Ibanking and especially wealth management are both not very challenging intellectually. I could be a successful ibanker high the entire time, smoking dankness constantly. Excel is easy, everything is easy, pitches are easy, the job just isn't for smart people. its for either dumb tools or motivated kids who are preparing there qualifications for something more intellectually rigorous. anyone who's worth anything would agree with me i hope.

anyways, i have strong views on the quality of banking, but thats probably because i'm a bit smarter than most of you (jk sorta), or at least the average poster on here (just based on what i've been reading on this forum).

but you aren't here to debate morals, etc. - if HR does not inform you advance of a drug test, you don't have one. So rest easy my friends.

LOL wow londenE1,Terix, and you need to hang out

big unit:
the average poster on here (just based on what i've been reading on this forum).

Unfortunately, the quality of an average poster is decreasing. Soon we will have freshmen giving advices on the best banking groups, discussing the advantages of Stanford MBA over Harvard MBA, and arguing that Evercore is better than Lazard.

P.S.: wasn't there a rumor that GS did a drug test out of nowhere because they hired too many analysts?

Haha I apologize, that was a really toolish e-mail sent in its own right. I'm certainly not smarter than the majority of people on here.

But I still think its funny that people think performance is hampered by the usage of drugs on the side. Really, the hardest part of banking is staying in the office awake and aware - whatever helps you do that, including extracurricular stress relief, works best.

Sometimes I wonder if someone of the people who post on here have actually worked in banking. My disclaimer is that I worked at a 4th-5th-ish ranked BB in terms of the league in an industry group. Still...

big unit:
Haha I apologize, that was a really toolish e-mail sent in its own right. I'm certainly not smarter than the majority of people on here.

But I still think its funny that people think performance is hampered by the usage of drugs on the side. Really, the hardest part of banking is staying in the office awake and aware - whatever helps you do that, including extracurricular stress relief, works best.

Sometimes I wonder if someone of the people who post on here have actually worked in banking. My disclaimer is that I worked at a 4th-5th-ish ranked BB in terms of the league in an industry group. Still...

No need to apologize, Big Unit. You and I and everyone else with half a damn ounce of intelligence can immediately discern that the average poster on here was probably educated at SCCC and likely has an IQ around 25; it's no surprise that there's a new "what are my chances and how do I break in from my tier-25 school" thread popping up every day. I'm guessing Mainstreet_Wallstreet and his ML ops internship likely fit into this category.

Most people who are able to land banking/principal investment jobs (and I mean real, blue-chip jobs: not some fin-an based out of Kansas City, MO -- you got that, AnEx?) do not waste their time with the low calibered hoi polloi on this site. Once you people start actually working in one of the aforementioned positions, you will realize this.

You do need to apologize, however, about trying to flaunt your internship at "4ish-5ish" Merrill. You worked with a bunch of kids out of Georgetown, Villanova, and UNC. Give me a break.

It's nice that you took the time to share bingzu, but you're about a year late.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Okay seriously FUCK all of you judgmental cunts giving these bullshit judgmental responses. Many of the best bankers I know are the most regular stoners I've ever met, Marijuana has helped me through depression and some of the hardest times in my life, and I would have quit from the stress of business school a long time ago if it wasn't for that. I'm not saying you should be high on the job, but most of us asking are people that simply like to kick back with a j after a long day so we can feel refreshed the next day to kill it at our jobs. So seriously, if you assholes have nothing to contribute to these questions, FUCK OFF.

I am going to start locking threads like this. For everyone that talks about how banking is the shit and the best and smartest go into banking I present to you this thread.

This guy got a FO IBD position at a BB and DOES NOT HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE to simply stop getting high for 30 days.

FOOL

This thread is now locked.

yes they do, and it's so lame how you clowns keep writing "my friend is.....". Youre not fooling anyone, we know it's you.

"Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them." - Bud Fox

Next time you might as well be like "SWIM likes to get high. What should he do since he has a job?" Sounds justas sketchy, use the proper terms to obscure your own drug use.

Reality hits you hard, bro...

I'm sorry, but these posts are irritating. I don't mean to be rude and I'm sure you have good intentions. But, people need to be a bit more introspective when they choose these types of careers. Getting canned (or not getting the opportunity all together) for a failing these types of tests is an absolute waste of time and money for both parties. And views on drug policies are irrelevant to the issue.

Every candidate and employee faces the same constraint. If they want the opportunity bad enough then they will choose to meet those constraints every time. It's no different than banks meeting regulatory requirements to compete in the marketplace. Regardless of whether the regulations should exist, they do and if the banks want to win they'll comply to do so.

if it's not in the offer letter that means you won't be getting tested! I've known several people who accepted offers and were never asked to test. I never did as well and i work for a f10 company

Fuga qui dolorem laborum est cum. Placeat sit et aut vel minima. Nesciunt doloremque sed in voluptatem. Amet dignissimos corrupti labore error consequatur quas. Fugiat debitis a labore similique libero. Unde possimus quidem ut neque. Quia aut et in qui. Omnis qui sed consequuntur perferendis.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Natus similique exercitationem aut et. Voluptatem explicabo recusandae quidem fuga qui distinctio consequuntur distinctio.

Commodi corrupti ex aliquid eveniet maxime incidunt. Aut repellendus alias architecto architecto non deleniti fugit. Eos non qui quidem sit aut odit.

Et eius earum ea perferendis veritatis suscipit velit. Ut harum sunt expedita quam quae repellat. Accusamus suscipit nostrum quod tenetur. Animi voluptatibus repudiandae alias accusamus voluptate est. Aliquid aliquam ut delectus perspiciatis sapiente provident.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Vel est iusto exercitationem ut velit aspernatur dolores provident. Earum a ipsum enim architecto laudantium maiores. Ut ea doloremque incidunt unde eum molestiae.

Et in eum velit dolores illum eveniet est modi. Enim doloribus ducimus id necessitatibus enim voluptatem quibusdam aut. Reiciendis vero repellat velit totam. Repellendus quae quia nihil placeat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”