Barclays 2015 investment banking summer analyst london - interview

Hi there,

Does anybody have any information on the 1st round phone interview for Barclays summer analyst position in investment banking in london? Has anybody perhaps already done the interview?

Still waiting for a response regarding my online application. Itt's been more than two months(!) since I've sent the application and done all of their online testing... Have you heard back yet or why are you asking concerning the first round? They say that first round phone interview will be strengths-based (as opposed to competency-based). While I haven't had one of these yet, you'll find some info by simply googling it. Shouldn't be as hard of on interview, but you never know with HR...

EDIT: this is for off-cycle IBD position in London with start as early as January

I've had Barclays 1st round 2 days ago. The questions were completely competency based and were totally random, like 'How would you feel if you saw on the news that your firm did sth unethical?' or 'How do you feel when working with people with different attitudes to work?'. Utter BS to be honest. I know they've had at least one round of AC, cause my friend already got the offer.

@michaelsgh: was your interview and AC of your friend for SA, off-cycle or FT? Any more Qs you'd like to share regarding 1st round with HR, would be much appreciated :)

Checked online and to my surprise it said invited to telephone interview (note: no prior announcement via email or call, could've just missed it by not logging into my account regularly!) so I'll have mine next week.

Would appreciate any additional hints on their first rounds (and AC would also be great). Obviously know the bank, know your resume, story, and motivation for joining the bank in that particular position. But I guess you can't prepare for those random Qs Michael posted!?

Best Response

Both me and my friend applied for SA. As for the other questions here are some of the others:

Have you ever challenged someone who was breaking the rules or cheating? How would you feel and what would you do if one of your friends acted unethically? How do you feel when meeting new people and how do you network? What skills do you have that others dont? Would your friends say you are a teamplayer? How would you feel when working with people with different attitudes to work? How do you feel when approaching deadlines? Have you ever seen something that could be improved and what did you do to improve it? How often do you have your opinions challenged by others? Would your friends say you are motivated and self-driven?

I know you can't prepare for all of qs like this and to be honest your ability to answer those questions doesn't say much about whether you're good for the job or not. But that's Barclays' loss. They might hire the wrong people and sent the good ones home. And one hint from me - ALWAYS try to back the answers with examples. I know the qs are phrased in the way that you might think they don't ask for any exemplification but they actually do. Good luck!

When I did the interview, I got completely thrown off when they started by asking "what is your understanding of Barclay’s values and strategy and what do you think about this?" In retrospect probably something I should've known, but come on... Other questions I had:

Do you think the people around you would say you always try and improve things? If yes, why do you think that is? When you are teaching things to other people, are you often satisfied with their understanding of the matter? How would you feel if a senior manager asked you to explain a complex matter briefly? When you build relationships, what do you do differently than most people and why? How do you build trust with people? When you hear about global incidents, do you link these in your head to banking? How would you react to working in a diverse team where people have different opinions on how to do things? How would you feel if an organization you were a part of was portrayed in the media as having behaved unethically? Do you prefer working in a team or alone?

Agree on the comment about examples, they specifically asked me for it on a few questions. They may have changed this since I did the interview (not this year), but the way it worked was someone from HR called me and just stated the questions, typed down my response and then went to the next question on her. Weirdest interview I've ever had. Good luck on the interview!

No, they haven't changed it a bit. It was the same for me. You feel like talking to an HR robot. And as a matter of fact the other friend of mine got today the same set of questions that you got. Literally each and every one was the same! This interview farce just makes me not want to work for them.

thanks for sharing guys, should be a fun interview...

Good luck @michaelsgh , let us know when you go to the AC!

I'm curious if HR decides solely upon the 20-30min phone interview if one is to proceed to the AC? Would be kind of a joke with these sorts of questions and especially after spending hours on completing competency questions, situational judgement test and personality questionnaire during the prior application process.

@michaelsgh sorry to hear that, did you receive any feedback at all?

I've had my phone interview this week and the questions were indeed identical to the ones posted above, so thanks again for sharing, made me a bit more prepared even though your answers are somewhat personal and apparently they look at how you answer as well as what you actually say. But interestingly they don't evaluate you solely on the phone interview, at least that's what I was told. Apparently they look at the answers you provided as well as your other application details (competency questions, test results, academics) and then come to a decision. Reasons for rejection can therefore be various, I guess, even though you must have passed the initial benchmark screen to advance to first round.

If you are referring to the phone interview, no technicals at all, only 12 scripted strengths-based questions.

Anyone hear back regarding upcoming AC? Got an email today from HR saying that ACs will be held in January and February but that my application is still under review. That's quite a long recruiting process, wonder if they think Barclays is the only place people apply to...

Hi anyone heard back from Barclays about AC? Got an email around mid Dec but only mentioned AC will be held in Jan and Feb and my application is still under review. One of my friend got AC(end of Jan), but he applied for a different role...

Sorry If Ia m stealing this thread but could some one who's been on AC just write a few sentences to brief me a little about it? Also, how would you prepare for AC?

Also, anyone who did well on the first round; What was the main thing that felt like going well during the interview??

Okay now it is getting ridiculous, I've received three almost identical emails asking for patience as my application is under review. First mid-December, then end of January and recently early Feb. All following phone interview in end of November. Why do they stall you for so long and don't straight away reject you!? Obviously Jan/Feb ACs have already passed. By now my plans have changed too obviously, should I just call them and ask what's going on?

flashblade:

Okay now it is getting ridiculous, I've received three almost identical emails asking for patience as my application is under review. First mid-December, then end of January and recently early Feb. All following phone interview in end of November. Why do they stall you for so long and don't straight away reject you!? Obviously Jan/Feb ACs have already passed.
By now my plans have changed too obviously, should I just call them and ask what's going on?

I think that's ridiculous, however, you have to accept that's the way it works around there. They probably think you're too good to be rejected atm, but not good enough to go to the 2nd round, so they just put you on the waitlist or sth. If there are no better candidates they are gonna reach out to you. Odds of this are probably minimal, at least based on my experience.

Barclays recruits a good proportion of its SA class from the spring week. Each year, the accelerated process is quicker. Three or so years ago, you'd probably go to a fast track AC 2/3 weeks after your SW. I think this year they did it at the end of the SW.

They are also notorious for wrapping up their SA recruitment for the most part by Nov/December time. One or two people will make the cut in the January AC depending on headcount requirements and people reneging.

As for structure - take this with a pinch of salt as it might have changed - it normally involves a series of interviews. Can range from 2 to 8 depending on which desks want to interview you. There is no numerical test although this may have changed. There will be a group exercise and possibly an individual presentation which you can't really prepare for.

Eaque facere eum sint corrupti facere quidem. Necessitatibus nobis nam omnis cumque doloremque aut distinctio eligendi.

Recusandae voluptates voluptates aut quisquam inventore cumque. Tempora quia ab reprehenderit consequatur. Nam soluta aut quae quibusdam neque. Similique eum consectetur aut qui sunt repellendus eaque. Eveniet et beatae error omnis.

Repudiandae quo esse dolor fugiat quo non. Rem inventore qui vero beatae repellat.

Dolorum delectus molestiae accusamus fugiat libero quo. Voluptates est nihil qui perspiciatis eos. Nam ducimus esse nihil consequatur qui velit porro. Nihil aspernatur consequuntur sapiente quo. Sint iure molestiae sit expedita quae voluptates consequatur. Sit magnam explicabo tenetur. Animi et consequatur consequatur et.

Fugiat excepturi et sed maxime. Rerum recusandae ducimus optio officia. Suscipit quam omnis fugit odio officiis. At ipsam necessitatibus saepe ipsam nesciunt eligendi vel. Velit quia sit praesentium unde dolorum. Ex ea accusamus animi aut omnis eveniet. Odio adipisci assumenda et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”