Best Companies to Work For 2014

I can't say I'm a huge fan of ranked lists, but this one always catches my attention. I'll make some notes on the list below

Best Companies

Top 10:

1) Google - They aren't dropping out of the top 10 anytime soon. They deserve this spot.

2) SAS - I don't really know anything about this company. I always see them up on the list, anyone have any info on what it's like working for them?

3) Boston Consulting Group - I appreciate that the hard-working people there love it, but I can't imagine it being one of the "best companies to work for" for your average Joe.

4) Edward Jones - Are the financial advisers included in this, or is it just corporate staff? I feel like if FAs were included it wouldn't be ranked so high.

5) Quicken Loans - Heard a lot about what they're doing in Detroit. They seem to really be rallying the city behind them. I think it's a sinking ship, but props anyways.

6) Genentech - I know nothing.

7) Salesforce.com - Only heard good things about it. Seems to be a very laid-back place and generally a younger crowd.

8) Intuit - Haven't heard anything about the day-to-day, but it seems like a decent company.

9) Robert Baird - Don't know anyone working for them, seems like a solid choice if you're interested in that kinda thing.

10) DPR Construction - I know nothing about this company.

Other Mentions:

A) Healthcare companies in general seem to do well on this list, anyone in the industry that has insights?

B) Rackspace/NetApp/Zappos- The people I've talked to at these companies hope they never get fired. CS guys though, wonder if it's different on the business side.

C) Law firms - This makes no sense to me. Maybe it's because they're not top firms working their associates 100 hours/week?

D) Goldman/Big 4 - Same thoughts as with BCG. Personally wouldn't want to work there, but if you're a hard-charger it's probably the best company for you.

E) CapOne - Heard good things from several people, not only on working conditions, but also the direction the company is heading. Only downside I've heard is office politics, but that's everywhere and with the mergers over the past couple of years, not all that surprising.

F) Microsoft - Haven't heard great things about working there, but my only datapoints are people who moved from companies like Google and Facebook. The thing that stands out the most to them is how secretive everything is.

Anyone have any thoughts on these companies or the ones I missed?

Had a management class a few semesters ago where we studied a little more about SAS and why it was always ranked so highly on these sorts of lists. From what I remember, a lot of the benefits are based on making the office a conglomerate of useful destinations. On-site gym, childcare center, doctor's office type stuff. I think the experience sounds pretty comparable to what I've heard about Google.

Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker.

I have a lot of friends that are working at Quicken Loans because I'm from Detroit. Every single one of them says every day how much they love working there. I haven't asked them to go in to detail as to why, but they love it, and the people that aren't working there in the area are trying to get jobs there.

Also, Dan Gilbert is doing everything he can to help turn Detroit around so I could imagine that working there has a lot of perks.

make it hard to spot the general by working like a soldier

Best Response

I can comment on Intuit and CapOne.

Gotta couple of friends who work at Intuit and they absolutely love it. Their pay is pretty good (somewhere around $150k for 3 years out of college) but its the culture what they really love. Don't know what it is, but they are happy and won't shut up about how great Intuit is.

I also have a friend who works for CapOne in NYC and the culture there is not great. The comment about office politics is dead on. They care more about "socializing" things than your work being right. Additionally the people there are just not that strong. You will have tons of middle managers who make zero decisions for themselves and just pass things up the chain until it reaches someone competent who can think critically. The hours are good, but the work isn't that stimulating.

I've worked with SAS consultants and I have had classes at their UK office. It's a real nice place to work. They're compensated well and they have some good food.

Sint eligendi dolor dolorem. Amet aut est unde perferendis eveniet qui enim. Iure sunt in fugit modi. Quis labore illum facere velit qui nulla similique in. Voluptatibus in deserunt nihil aspernatur ex perspiciatis soluta.

Similique nam saepe quas aut. Laborum dolor odio occaecati fugiat nesciunt odio veniam a. Blanditiis quasi ea voluptas nulla modi suscipit. Voluptas et placeat aliquam doloremque qui accusamus magnam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”