• Sharebar

Some examples; The Boiler Room, American Psycho and Wall Street.

Comments (42)

  • marcellus_wallace's picture

    American Psycho is based off a book, that is making of fun wasps in NYC at the time. The movie is also making fun of bankers in NYC at the time, saying they all act the same, talk the same, dress the same, and are only obsessed with shallow things and thoughts. It is quite awesome still. But that is why you see all that stuff in that scene, and how they call people different names, its because no one is any different so no one notices or cares.

    The first 10-15mins of Family Man is awesome, I don't know why you dislike it? The guy is a MD at a top boutique bank about to goto Europe to make the CEO go through with some huge merger. He listens to ophera, has a great apartment, bangs hotties, and drives an awesome car. Let's not forget his suits. The lesson of the movie is horrible.

    Also I think the choice at the beginning when he goes to London to do an internship is awesome as well.

  • IBWannaB's picture

    I do not know why you say Familiy Man had a horrible lesson. What do you think the lesson was?

    I think it was about "balance" you need to maintain between work and life. Do you think the guy was happy in the first 15 minutes with all that hot stuff (cars, girls) around him? It was cool, make no mistake, and someone might be happy living like this (work Christmas Eve), but many of us will not be to happy living a life like this when they are 40. Cars and chicks, living the BIG LIFE will just not be enough if you are a normal human being. Now we think that making $Millions is Heaven but, I think the excitment will fade away really fast. You need balance, which only a family can give you.

    Another important lesson is that you also need your career, you need to be able to reach your goals, because if you cannot reach them your life will be miserable, trying on the $2-3k suits when you go to the mall, but you cannot buy them. That also sucks and will not make you happy.

    I divide the movie into 3 parts:
    1. before the flash, living large, living alone (not really what you want when you are 40)
    2. after the flash, living small (this you do not really want either)
    3. back in reality again, when the guy tries to warm up his relationship with her college sweatheart. (Now, this should be the life that gives you balance: you have the carrer and you have the family).

    Familiy+Career=Balance --> Happyness

  • In reply to IBWannaB
    nystateofmind's picture

    IBWannaB wrote:
    I do not know why you say Familiy Man had a horrible lesson. What do you think the lesson was?

    I think it was about "balance" you need to maintain between work and life. Do you think the guy was happy in the first 15 minutes with all that hot stuff (cars, girls) around him? It was cool, make no mistake, and someone might be happy living like this (work Christmas Eve), but many of us will not be to happy living a life like this when they are 40. Cars and chicks, living the BIG LIFE will just not be enough if you are a normal human being. Now we think that making $Millions is Heaven but, I think the excitment will fade away really fast. You need balance, which only a family can give you.

    Another important lesson is that you also need your career, you need to be able to reach your goals, because if you cannot reach them your life will be miserable, trying on the $2-3k suits when you go to the mall, but you cannot buy them. That also sucks and will not make you happy.

    I divide the movie into 3 parts:
    1. before the flash, living large, living alone (not really what you want when you are 40)
    2. after the flash, living small (this you do not really want either)
    3. back in reality again, when the guy tries to warm up his relationship with her college sweatheart. (Now, this should be the life that gives you balance: you have the carrer and you have the family).

    Familiy+Career=Balance --> Happyness

    That's cute. Thanks for explaining the lesson - I had such a hard time figuring out just what the movie was trying to teach.

    On another note, I still don't understand how anybody could consider it a finance movie. Yes, the guy is some sort of banker, but that has nothing to do with the movie. So he's very wealthy - the movie could have been about someone who inherited all his money and it wouldn't have any affect whatsoever on the plot or your truly inspiring lesson explanation.

  • curlyarmstrong's picture

    Just a question about american psycho:

    The firm, Pierce and Pierce, is the same one as that used in the novel bonfire of the vanities (by Tom Wolfe - very good read, the guy is a bond trader). Is there any connection between the two?

    Also, those of you debating the realities and details of American Psycho, its a hugely satirical, absurd and mocking take of the investment banker lifestyle of excess in the 80's. You don't need a degree in film studies to get this, just some common sense.

  • In reply to GameTheory
    jameson22's picture

    GameTheory wrote:
    g5cubed wrote:
    I found this hilarious. In American Psycho, when they are all exchanging business cards in the board room, they spelled Acquisitions wrong, instead putting Aquisitions. Also, notice each one has the same phone number and position.

    They also always call each other by the wrong names. In that particular scene Paul Allen calls Bryce "Baxter."

    They call each other by the wrong names because it makes a point about a theme in the movie. It's not a blooper/continuity error. i.e. The dehumanizing aspects of business and the satirical/absurdist take the movie has on the business world (specifically in the '80s).

  • In reply to jameson22
    cphbravo96's picture

    jameson22 wrote:
    IBWannaB wrote:
    bmwhype wrote:
    that was so thoughtful. almost brought a tear from my eyes

    I am happy to hear you arguments too...

    An argument for why it sucks?

    It stars Nicolas Cage. Game over.

    We have a winner winner chicken dinner!!

    That guy has made a large sum of money putting out junk, so congrats to him. Too bad he couldn't manage it.

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • In reply to cphbravo96
    drexelalum11's picture

    cphbravo96 wrote:
    jameson22 wrote:
    IBWannaB wrote:
    bmwhype wrote:
    that was so thoughtful. almost brought a tear from my eyes

    I am happy to hear you arguments too...

    An argument for why it sucks?

    It stars Nicolas Cage. Game over.

    We have a winner winner chicken dinner!!

    That guy has made a large sum of money putting out junk, so congrats to him. Too bad he couldn't manage it.

    Regards

    Lord of War & Con Air were both pretty good, imo

    Agree that everything else he's been in is crap