740 on the GMAT - retake?

I recently got a 740 on the GMAT (97th%ile)
50 Quant (95th%ile)
41 Verbal (93rd%ile)
6.0 AWA

Do you think it's worth retaking the GMAT?
For admissions purposes? for scholarship purposes?

I'm looking at the top programs - HBS, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, etc. and I want to know if an extra few points will really be that important.

My goal score was/is a 770. I think I can pull up my verbal score a few points and possibly nab the extra Quant point....but I'd rather not sit through another few hours of torture and possibly get a lower score.

On a side note: I may be applying to Princeton's M.Fin program, or Berkeley's MFE in addition to the MBA programs.

Any input would be great - thanks.

The best analogy for gmat scores I've heard is that it is like height in the NBA: a high number won't get you in, but a low number can keep you you out. Adcoms use the GMAT as a check that you have the raw mental skills required to perform well in business school. Anyone scoring over 600 would probably do just fine at any school, but they prefer it to be over 700 just to be sure. Once you get past that, it doesn't really matter—the rest of your app will make or break the decision.

Southern_Banker:
Wow, you're a douche. You need an opinion about something like that?

Wow, you're very quick to judge.

Why don't you just not type anything and hit the return button, and go into another thread. Why the need to be a jerk?

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/valuation/net-worth>net worth or nothing</a></span>:
Southern_Banker:

Wow, you're very quick to judge.

Why don't you just not type anything and hit the return button, and go into another thread. Why the need to be a jerk?

He needs the banana points, dude.

soldbelkin:
Southern_Banker:

I hope that the irony in this is only not apparent to Southern Banker...

yeah I caught it, just didn't want to say anything before someone else did out of fear that I'd sound like a dou...

just looking for some honest advice, not trying to be a douche

of course i know a 740 is a decent score, but when looking at programs with ~10% acceptance rates everyone needs an extra little edge. Was just wondering if an extra few points on the GMAT could sway a decision... OR, if it's more like AltESV says. I'm also trying to get scholarships. And I'm applying to M.Fin/MFE programs which are a bit harder to get into than MBA programs.

Once again, any advice would be great.

Scholarships can be really random. There's definately a lot of money out there for underrepresented minorities especially if you're going into finance. If you aren't in that category though I think it has more to do with your background. I know people with 650 and 750 that have gotten scholarships. I'm just not sure how big a part the GMAT plays in a scholarship.

You don't need to retake the GMAT. You have a great score, if you don't get in it won't be the GMAT. Focus on writing GREAT essays. Those are the most important thing in your application.

Retake it man...you risk bringing shame upon your family with a 740. You might be disowned; I've also heard that "honor killings" are up in this part of the world.

Seriously though, I fail to see the point in retaking. It's plenty good enough, and once you get to this range you're splitting hairs. I had a 760, and I'm happy for the score but I can't help but to think that any higher the adcoms would scrutinize my application even more (i.e. why isn't my GPA as high as it should be, blah blah blah..).

I have heard about several instances from Harvard and Stanford where applicants got dinged with score of 740 and the feedback was had they score 750, they would have got in. So I suggest you retake the exam and try to pass 750 mark, otherwise you can forget the scholarships.

mbaScandinavia:
I have heard about several instances from Harvard and Stanford where applicants got dinged with score of 740 and the feedback was had they score 750, they would have got in. So I suggest you retake the exam and try to pass 750 mark, otherwise you can forget the scholarships.

No way this happens.

And even if it did, no way the adcom explicitly tells a candidate they were 10 points shy.

I don't know; I think this is a legitimate question. I would retake it just for the sake of not regretting it later. you could always say, well i didn't get into hbs, maybe a 770 would have put me over the edge. it's possible isn't it?

It's like college admissions. What's a good score? would you retake with a 1490? If you're applying to a top college, then my answer would be yes.

Honestly, if you're not getting in or getting a scholarship with a 740, you ain't getting one with a 770. I almost think this question's some sort of gloating-loaded joke. Hey everyone, I got a 12" twinkie, is that long enough?

Focus on improving other aspects of your application..... like your street smarts, just as an example.

Skier88:
Honestly, if you're not getting in or getting a scholarship with a 740, you ain't getting one with a 770. I almost think this question's some sort of gloating-loaded joke. Hey everyone, I got a 12" twinkie, is that long enough?

Focus on improving other aspects of your application..... like your street smarts, just as an example.

..... this guy who got into TPG cos he had like a 13-incher, apparently they let him whip it out from time to time to entertain clients

These guys calling you a douche and a tool are doing you a favor. Think about. There is a small (not large, but small) chance that the admissions people will say the say the same thing when you report a 760 after a 740. remember, B-Schools are collaborative, group oriented places where culture is important.

I’ll tell you something flat out: I don’t what to work in a group with a guy who gets a ridiculous score, and then says, “You know what, I can do slightly better!” You really do come off as a tool. Think of me what you will, but a lot of people feel the same way. Throwing a score on top of a 740 may make you less appealing from a cultural/personality perspective.

So there’s the downside of reporting a somewhat higher score. What’s the upside? A very small chance of improving your admission standing. I say very small chance because there is no material difference between a 740 & 770. 740 is probably the 94-95th percentile. 770 is probably 96-97. Same thing.

In your case, reporting is probably a Net negative NPV decision.

Note: I’m not knocking retaking. I’m retaking because I got a 690. I’m 10 points away from being on a different plane. You’ve probably hit a plateau.

I agree that there isn't much of a difference b/w 740 and 770 (although 760+ is 99th percentile) and that time is better spent elsewhere. However, I don't think it could actually hurt your admissions chances if you scored better and reported. I'm not commenting on whether OP is a tool or not, but I don't think adcoms would mark it as a negative that this person wanted to put forth his very best effort on an exam that has a lot of importance for business school admissions, and in some cases employment prospects.

I retook my 710 and got a 760... but I think 740 is high enough. You're above-average at every single school you're applying at and will be raising the school's average GMAT for sure. The only thing is, if you're below avg in your demo, that means letting in some "unique" person with a low GMAT is less-offset by your score. If you can retake with minimal study you might as well do it just to put your mind at ease. If its going to be a pain, just forget it. Retaking to just get 30 more points might actually make the adcom question your time management skills (is 30 points really a good use of your one wild and precious life?

Don't retake the test unless you're absolutely, 100% sure, that every given time, no matter the circumstances, you'll increase your score by AT LEAST 30 points. The downside of coming off as obsessive (which you are) is HUGE compared to the upside of a slightly higher score.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't get a merit-based scholarship to Harvard or Stanford, and a 740 is already above average for Columbia and Wharton, so I'm not sure a higher score would even help in that department.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

Hi quantjock,

I agree with AltESV. A 740 is an excellent GMAT score. Instead of retaking the test, your time would be better spent focusing on your essays or looking to improve your extracurriculars and responsibilities at work.

I hope this was of help.

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

www.StacyBlackman.com

Hey guys, I'm just trying to understand something here. I've always thought that if you can make any part of your application better, you might as well. Assuming everything else will be equally good, why would one not retake the GMAT to improve that part of your application? I would think that every little improvement gives you a little more of a shot at the top schools..

Even with a 750, if someone just made silly mistakes and could with minimal review just write it again and get 780+, is that really not worth it?

I realize that it might be unwise to rewrite if one planned on studying for another few months, but what could the possible disadvantage be to just spending the four extra hours and getting the better score?

Thanks!

MPCE:
Hey guys, I'm just trying to understand something here. I've always thought that if you can make any part of your application better, you might as well. Assuming everything else will be equally good, why would one not retake the GMAT to improve that part of your application? I would think that every little improvement gives you a little more of a shot at the top schools..

Even with a 750, if someone just made silly mistakes and could with minimal review just write it again and get 780+, is that really not worth it?

I realize that it might be unwise to rewrite if one planned on studying for another few months, but what could the possible disadvantage be to just spending the four extra hours and getting the better score?

Thanks!

I'd argue that taking the test twice and scoring a 740 and then a 750 is worse for your application than just achieving a 740 straight up. Not because the higher score doesn't matter, but because the adcom will question your judgment and may knock you for spending more time/money when you're already above the class average. Obviously the whole process is incredibly nebulous, but this is my understanding based on comments I've heard directly from adcom members at the top schools.

I think this is a more legitimate question than many on the board give you credit for. I retook a 730 for same reason (also I had middling AWA because of time screw up) and bumped up my score by 40 points.

Did it make a difference in admissions decisions? I have no idea; however, I got in where I wanted to get in and in hindsight (given the outcome) I am happy with my decision to retake. Coming from a finance background you are in an INCREDIBLY competitive pool; I would not dismiss the need to crush the GMAT relative to the median score to give a yourself some breathing room (though this is clearly speculative on my part - it played a role in my own decision making process).

My view on this is similar to the advice I give to those people already on the buyside who want to take the CFA tests (which I've passed but while on sellside). It doesn't hurt you and you will learn a bit but it also probably isn't a great return on your time; you would be better served by reading 10Ks and transcripts than by reading a textbook on ethics (in your case you might be better served working on essays and EC's than retaking GMAT).

I think it comes down to how much free time you have and your own psychological views on regret, etc. in the event the ball doesn't bounce your way (i.e., if you get dinged by HBS or Stanford are you going to blame the GMAT score or not?).

it's not automatically foolish to consider retaking so ignore the herd responses. as great as a 740 is, it would certainly be below the average of certain subgroups (demographic/profile combinations) at M7 schools. applicants compete within subgroups not against the median.

if one falls into such a subgroup and has reason to believe they can hit 760+ then it makes sense to retake. also, there are plenty of candidates who are blah on other fronts and get in because their stats are just too strong to pass up - if you fit that profile then consider retaking. keep in mind that there are plenty of 760s, 770s and 780s at the top schools. it's highly unlikely that every one of them would have gotten in with a 740.

i also happen to disagree with the notion that a marginal increase will be punished due to some signal of poor judgment. adcoms don't read that deeply into these things and will gladly take the extra points for their average (if they were going to admit you anyway).

It all depends on the schools average. If they have an average GMAT of a 740-750 then they will need to admit applicants with higher than a 750 GMAT to offset your 700 GMAT. If you have an otherwise outstanding application then it shouldn't matter, but if you are scoring 50 points or more below the stated average it will most likely hurt your chances.

AnthonyD1982:
It all depends on the schools average. If they have an average GMAT of a 740-750 then they will need to admit applicants with higher than a 750 GMAT to offset your 700 GMAT. If you have an otherwise outstanding application then it shouldn't matter, but if you are scoring 50 points or more below the stated average it will most likely hurt your chances.

there are no MBA programs that have a 740 GMAT average. i think the highest is like a 716.

School Name Median GMAT Score Harvard MBA Program 720 Wharton MBA Program 710 Stanford MBA Program 720 Sloan MBA Program 710 Yale MBA Program 710

Your right, I was using 740 as an example, but I think 720'ish is a good idea of where you should be. Unless the OP has an outstanding story or admissions package getting below the average will hurt them. If you figure that top schools allow a certain amount of 640's in they have to offset those lower GMAT's with 740's and 750's. Those lower GMAT's are probably reserved for disadvantaged individuals, etc. Unless the OP fits that category it will be something of concern.

you are speaking in relative terms as if we can isolate one variable and give you an exact weight placed on the GMAT. If candidates with almost identical profiles had a 40 point spread in the GMAT (740-700), yes the 740 would have a better shot. How much of a better shot depends on the type of candidate, the school, whether the profile of the two was unique (are these ibanker-PE guys or successful entrepreneur types)...

Agree with NYchimp, it really only matters as a stand-alone variable. I had a chat with my director of admissions and he indicated that we rejected roughly the same % of students that had >750 GMAT vs. those with lower scores. Sure they are a little more likely to get in, but its really the total package.

I'd be curious to see how that breakdown works for >700 vs those below.

There is a difference but not enough to warrant a retake unless something unusual happened on test day. MBA admits depend far more on soft factors than programs like law and medicine and I have read that retaking the GMAT only to get from say, 710 to 730 shows poor judgment. On the other hand, if your practices have been 770 and you come in at 690 or 700, maybe that warrants a second go.

No two candidates are truly equally qualified. There's always something to differentiate or not from the competition. Having said that, taking your post literally, in the hypothetical, given two identical applicants, the school would pick the applicant with the higher score.

Bryant Michaels Veritas Prep Consulting

bryantmichaels:
No two candidates are truly equally qualified. There's always something to differentiate or not from the competition. Having said that, taking your post literally, in the hypothetical, given two identical applicants, the school would pick the applicant with the higher score.
Thanks Bryant for reviving this two year old thread from an OP who has since already applied to b-school!! Obviously observation, attention to detail, and timeliness are not the selling points of your consulting company.

Indeed the post is dated 2010, but these threads are actually useful for archival purposes since the same questions surface year after year. In fact, the originator of this post just posted a very similar question a couple of days ago if the topic is of interest to you:

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/is-740-the-new-700

I am a little baffled at your hostility --having a tough week or something? Hang in there--Friday is almost done! ;)

Bryant Michaels Veritas Prep Consulting

I don't know that you can "leverage" a GMAT score or GPA, but maybe I misunderstand your word choice. At this point, if you're looking to switch jobs, what matters most is your network. Now, if your question is about how good your GMAT score is, I would say it's very good and you needn't worry about it, but remember that getting a job or getting into business school has a lot more to do with what you scored on some exam.

​* http://www.linkedin.com/in/numicareerconsulting

Adcomms generally suggest that you take 1 or 2 quant or finance related courses (and get As) at a local university or even community college to offset a weak UG GPA. Your 740 should allay any concerns that you dont have the intellectual capacity to perform calculations and reason appropriately but a 3.1 from a non-target may indicate that you werent focused while in school. Assuming you can put together a few decent years of work experience, get involved in a comm. activity, get some solid recoss and draft cogent essays you could be competitive at schools ranging from 3-20 in the rankings.

Congrats on the 740. I think you would be a long-shot at H/S/W but it isnt out of the question that you could get into 1 of those programs with solid W/E and leadership roles. Wharton would require a few extra years of W/E (4-5 years vs. 2-5 yeas at places like H/S which are trending younger)

I personally think that W is a long-shot too, but that shouldn't discourage him from applying. As you suggested, however, he'll need 2+ years of experience to show some real career trajectory and a story with "substance"; otherwise he'll be graded based on what he's doing right now (i.e. broker trainee). I don't mean to be a cynic, but having gone through the application process myself last year, I'm pretty sure that a 740 GMAT score doesn't exactly change the complexion of the real meat of his candidacy, a.k.a. career progress to date and other meaningful life stories.

Anyway, this certainly isn't a comment towards junkbondswap because I know he knows what he's talking about. However, as a broad statement having read a number of threads on this forum today (slow day at work), I feel like there are too many people here that don't have a real appreciation for how hard it is to get into a top business school, so I'd rather err on the side of caution and challenge this guy to be all the best that he can be, rather than giving him some false sense of security of where he might end up 2-3 years from now.

​* http://www.linkedin.com/in/numicareerconsulting

This is exactly why I believe standardized testing is flawed. Simply put: Some ppl are good ST-takers and some people are bad ST-Takers. I graduated from a top university w/ a +3.8 GPA with a double math/econ major and didn't even crack 1100 on my SAT. I've recently been prepping for the GMAT and I'm scoring 650ish on practice tests, which I believe, is far below my academic achievements. IMO submitting standardized tests should be optional.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Not saying you don't deserve the 740 (well kinda :)), but don't count on it proving that "you're really smart" because I think more and more adcoms are beginning to see the views I expressed above.

WegmansTuna:
This is exactly why I believe standardized testing is flawed. Simply put: Some ppl are good ST-takers and some people are bad ST-Takers. I graduated from a top university w/ a +3.8 GPA with a double math/econ major and didn't even crack 1100 on my SAT. I've recently been prepping for the GMAT and I'm scoring 650ish on practice tests, which I believe, is far below my academic achievements. IMO submitting standardized tests should be optional.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Not saying you don't deserve the 740 (well kinda :)), but don't count on it proving that "you're really smart" because I think more and more adcoms are beginning to see the views I expressed above.

Yeah, because you couldn't have just taken ridiculously easy classes to get that GPA. Of course you believe standardized testing is flawed; you're apparently terrible at them.

^^i doubt that he took "ridiculously easy classes" as a math and econ major.

with that said, i still feel standardized tests serve their purpose. it seems odd that you cant crack 1100 on an sat...maybe youre just testing wrong.

king_ari:

with that said, i still feel standardized tests serve their purpose. it seems odd that you cant crack 1100 on an sat...maybe youre just testing wrong.

It's easy to game the system by taking stupid electives (like music therapy) or finding sections of required classes with lenient TAs, or even taking them during the summer. Point being; it's just as easy, if not easier, to game your GPA as standardized tests.

king_ari:

To be fair, I just didn't give a shit in HS. Only took the SAT once, went to a crappy school, did really well, then transferred to a top 25 (most schools don't require transfers to disclose SAT scores).

There is really no easy path as a math major. I've taken all the required courses (i.e. Real & Complex Analysis, Diff Eq, Abstract Alg, Discrete Structures, etc...). I'm sure I'll be able to pull my GMAT score up to +700 by the time I take the test. However, the point I was really making is: How can you discredit 4 yrs of academic success just because one can't "figure out" how to be smart (and quick) during a 3 hour test....IMO you can't, and shouldn't.

I don't even want to get into the costs of the GMAT. The test, plus study materials, plus courses can easily run +$1500, which is an absolute scam. And some people take the damn thing 3 or 4 times!

The two stats measure different things. One measures speed / accuracy while the other one measures hard work and effort. You can argue all day as to which of these traits qualifies someone for a position in b-school or a job, but it just ends up being a matter of opinion.

Outside of the IB analyst world, I personally put a lot more value on someone who is smart than someone who is hard working. At some point effort fails to matter and all anyone cares about is results.

CompBanker:
The two stats measure different things. One measures speed / accuracy while the other one measures hard work and effort. You can argue all day as to which of these traits qualifies someone for a position in b-school or a job, but it just ends up being a matter of opinion.

Outside of the IB analyst world, I personally put a lot more value on someone who is smart than someone who is hard working. At some point effort fails to matter and all anyone cares about is results.

Not trying to attack your opinion, but that also happened to be Enron's line of thinking when hiring new employees...

it's a rule of thumb that an MBA will include his GMAT score on the resume if it is above 700.

i'm not sure if recruiters would think you are a dbag for putting it on there however. also if you included GMAT on your resume, they would wonder if you were going to immediately plan on applying to bschool after you were hired.

He was likely fishing for compliments.

When a plumber from Hoboken tells you he has a good feeling about a reverse iron condor spread on the Japanese Yen, you really have no choice. If you don’t do it to him, somebody else surely will. -Eddie B.

Am I the only one that thinks the phrase 'ceteris paribus' was not only misspelled, but used incorrectly??

What exactly are we holding constant? Shitty essays, good essays...poor undergrad GPA or good undergrad GPA, etc.??

I don't typically like to be an ass to people but someone who can't search and find the median scores for the schools they are interested in going to really doesn't even deserve consideration from those institutions.

B-school applications are very complex and have many factors that can determine eligibility or ineligibility...no score can guarantee admission some place if the other facets of the application are lacking.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

cphbravo96:
Am I the only one that thinks the phrase 'ceteris paribus' was not only misspelled, but used incorrectly??

What exactly are we holding constant? Shitty essays, good essays...poor undergrad GPA or good undergrad GPA, etc.??

I don't typically like to be an ass to people but someone who can't search and find the median scores for the schools they are interested in going to really doesn't even deserve consideration from those institutions.

B-school applications are very complex and have many factors that can determine eligibility or ineligibility...no score can guarantee admission some place if the other facets of the application are lacking.

Regards

I sometimes spell it "caeteris" just to be an asshole.

cphbravo96:

Regards

It is absolutely used incorrectly and his question really makes little sense.

Focus on your story for why you want to go to business school, get good recommendations, crush your essays. These are all more important than a 20-30 point bump on your GMAT.

Also, based on what you want to do, expand your choice of schools. Booth, Columbia, Tuck, etc. have great business schools that, if you bust your ass networking once you get in, you can get to the exact same spot if you had gone to H/W/S.

1. With a decent story, I have no doubt you'll get into some M7 school with your current gmat score. Sounds like you're just getting started with work and haven't yet started your community service/nonprofit work. For a shot at H/S/W, make sure you have (hopefully multiple) promotions and truly outstanding extras in order. This should be a much bigger focus than improving your 740 GMAT at this point. 2-3 aren't really going to help that much. You could try to tie them into your story, but I'm sure they don't strike me as particularly strong points.

First of all, I'm going to echo what you said everyone is telling you: you're in great shape. A 740 and a 3.7 in a quantitative major with a blue-chip job is no joke. That's 3/3 in things you can control. You didn't say where you went to school, but even if it's not an A+ school, the quant experience and strong GPA easily make up for that. Personally, I actually think it's an advantage to be applying from elite F100 jobs versus finance or consulting, because you're a bit different from the most standard top-notch recruits (that's just my opinion, not fact).

As for your three points, I don't think 2 and 3 mean much of anything. Unless you can tie spanish into your background and future goals (e.g. you do some work at your company or a non-profit in LatAm speaking Spanish, and want to leverage that going forward...), I don't see much effect. Same with your parents.

I would not take the GMAT again, but that's only because I think your score is more than good enough to get in if you execute everywhere else. I do NOT, however, think there is any risk to taking it again. If you do and get a 710, it won't hurt you at all, so I wouldn't let that be a deterrent. I just think your time can be better used elsewhere (do more extra-curricular work, do more at work, etc.).

Really, you have 2-3 years to make your profile better. You plan to get involved in the community, which is obviously important. As I always say on here, take leadership roles in a few key initiatives so you have great stories to tell on apps and interviews. Other than that, do great at work, and seek out leadership opportunities. My impression is that people tend to advance pretty quickly at F-100 in terms of great opportunities to lead, so take advantage of that. Develop relationships with mentors that will be good recommenders.

Too many think of it in terms of raw stats and don't realize how important it is to actually do well at stuff (from contributing to your non-profit to making an actual impact at work or in college). Achievement really matters to them, so having stories for both you and your recommenders to tell is incredibly important.

Seriously though, you'll be fine. H/S/W are always going to be crap shoots to a certain extent, but no doubt that you'd get into an M7 school if you do well from here on out.

Ahh yes, it's been awhile since I've seen the Ninja from the end of my video...

I def would not retake with that score -- really only downside from a perceptions standpoint. Realistically I think Stanford is a longshot with that profile, but I do think you'll be competitive at the others if you play your cards right. My experience with S kids is they tend to have something extremely unique... doesn't necessarily make them all that great in a business setting, but they're interesting ppl.

If you have to ask about retaking a 740 GMAT you are completely missing the picture here. You dont get into H/S based on numbers. You get into those schools based on your story and x factor (and yes partially on numbers). If your story is not unique, interesting, or makes you stand out then welcome to the M7.

With that said, idolizing H/S/W is stupid as a lot of the admissions process seems to boil down to somewhat of a crap shoot.

I should state that I have not gone through the MBA process yet, but I cite my credibility to the fact that i constantly check gmatclub.com obsessively.

Right on. As a college senior, I'll give a little bit of leeway to missing the overall point. It's not that a 760 vs. a 740 can't help you, it's just that if you're hoping that those 20 points from one elite score to a slightly more elite score, will get you in, you're way off. At the same time, there are plenty of M7 rejects with 3.7s and 740s that simply don't execute, are boring, or don't interview well. It's honestly unbelievable how shitty of a job some people I know did with applications, given that a decent effort could have gotten them into a top-10 school easily.

Agreed on the second paragraph as well (as a H/W reject, of course I agree). You actually never said your goals, but based on what I've seen, there are very few jobs that H/S/W are the only avenue to. The big differentiator is that they are great for all career/location placement, whereas you might need to be a little more selective from the rest of the M7 if you have a specific goal. No need for you to know what that is yet, or which schools work for that, but just something to think about as you progress towards applying.

"I'm sorry, but what is a "Top-3" in this context? Like a Fortune 3 company, or the Finance division of a GS/MS/JPM"

I work in the corporate finance division of one of GS/MS/JPM. I originally wrote "top-3 BB" but apparently managed to delete that when I edited my original post.

Also, a thank you to everyone for the fantastic and thoughtful advice. I am going to carefully consider all of the replies that I receive.

Agree with SourPatch. Going to be tough without the extra years of work experience unless you do something unique to really differentiate yourself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that though. I'll be going next year with five years of experience, and am very happy that I waited a couple of years to go. Much different perspective and goals now than I did then. Plus, I was a much better applicant - basically every meaningful experience I used was from the last two years.

I wouldn't worry about it. 740 is great and above the averages for all the M7s. If, like you said, you're already working on the other stuff you should be fine.

FWIW, if I were evaluating your application, I don't think it would make you seem like a crazy person or poindexter though.

You're fine, no need to retake. If you retake it,make sure you can actually get to 760/770, elsewise its going to look BAD. Too high of a risk I think, especially since there's as much as a 30 point swing test-to-test, just based on the questions you get/random guessing....so there's definitely a chance you got "lucky" this time and will get "unlucky" next time. I wouldn't risk it.

If you can get 760+ on a couple of practice tests consistently and are confident that you can repeat the performance on test day, then go for it. 740 is good and 10 to 20 points above averages for top 10 schools, but a 780 is even better -> top 10% of class.

RustyR:

If you can get 760+ on a couple of practice tests consistently and are confident that you can repeat the performance on test day, then go for it. 740 is good and 10 to 20 points above averages for top 10 schools, but a 780 is even better -> top 10% of class.

This. 740 is above-average at every MBA business schools ">M7 and the rest of your profile is strong, so you'll be competitive. That said, 770's and 780's really pop off the page for MBA apps and on-campus recruiting. If you think serious studying would get your into this range, go for it.

I don't think you're crazy to consider retaking, although you still have plenty of time to decide since you say it will be two years before you begin applying. Admissions will not think negatively of you for retaking a 740 assuming you score higher on the second one. A 770/780 versus a 740 will probably not make any difference at H/S, but it very well could at the rest of the MBA business schools ">M7, and it can impact scholarship opportunities as well.

I wouldn't retake it. I'm not going to hide my jealousy. I received a similar score some years back, but only after an embarrassingly large number of study hours.

Can you do better? I wouldn't doubt it, but I think your time is better spent elsewhere.

Please don't quote Patrick Bateman.

I haven't applied to bschool yet, but have taken the GMAT. While I agree with the above posters that a 740 is fine, I don't think it would hurt for you to study and take it again granted 1) you are confident about getting a 770+; 2) you aren't spending too much time studying for the test. Only you can make a judgement call on these two items.

I'm currently in b-school at an MBA business schools ">M7 so you can put some weight to my comments! Do not take the test again! 740 is a great score! Also, adcoms will see every test you take. A lower score can make your 740 look like a fluke. Once you get into b-school, no one cares about what you got on the GMAT. I would focus your time on the other aspects of your application.

John J. Rambo:

I'm currently in b-school at an MBA business schools ">M7 so you can put some weight to my comments! Do not take the test again! 740 is a great score! Also, adcoms will see every test you take. A lower score can make your 740 look like a fluke. Once you get into b-school, no one cares about what you got on the GMAT. I would focus your time on the other aspects of your application.

I agree. Also a student at an MBA business schools ">M7 here.

From your brief description of your profile, it seems you've already more than checked the "smart enough" and "quantitative enough" boxes. Spending a bunch of time studying and potentially raising your score (at the risk of hurting yourself) is simply not worth the effort / risk. A 770 doesn't wow anyone in the MBA business schools ">M7 anymore. It certainly helps, but I don't think it is worth it when you're already sitting on a 740.

fakemonkey:

I can't believe this thread exists. It's like asking if your 10 inch penis is small or not.

I'm not asking if a 740 is a good score. I am very, very grateful to have this score. The question is whether or not there is a positive expected value in retaking the exam given that I am not sacrificing in other areas of my app.

I think you are in good shape. Much more likely for you to turn in a sub-740 score on the next test due to difficulty and/or dumb luck. Know when hold em.

"Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money." - Mickey Bergman - Heist (2001)

Eum ullam dolor unde aspernatur sunt rem. Nihil dolorem porro est ipsa perspiciatis. Ipsam deserunt aut quos cumque.

Enim et qui sed qui sunt cupiditate debitis et. Impedit aut esse fugiat consectetur et aut quaerat. Voluptas ut quis est incidunt. Eum ut deleniti velit assumenda aliquam non velit. Nisi labore ut qui non in molestias. Ut quidem minima et dolor et dolore similique consequatur.

Dolorem autem neque sint aut et. Sunt rerum vero atque et et deserunt. Mollitia amet ratione sit. Quis facilis nihil nihil magni ut ratione. Nulla maiores eligendi magnam deleniti quasi consequatur.

Et perferendis ut fugit ut est et quo fuga. Enim ad vel molestiae temporibus culpa deserunt ducimus. Excepturi nisi enim mollitia voluptatem et reprehenderit aliquid. Laborum dolorem quas qui voluptate.

Sint nulla quasi et et et ipsa reprehenderit. Ut tempora ea voluptas dolor et quam accusamus. Enim culpa eaque molestiae dolore. Excepturi nulla porro eos adipisci provident velit. Eum eveniet voluptatem vel voluptas. Aspernatur aut necessitatibus aut.

Deleniti eligendi repellendus autem quo sapiente voluptatem porro. Dolorum labore ad ad quod et fugiat quae. Illo sit earum et accusamus deserunt deserunt blanditiis.

Aperiam explicabo quia doloremque fugiat debitis. Aliquam magnam sed officiis ut temporibus inventore. Est aut est eius repudiandae aut a recusandae. Esse quisquam accusamus perferendis reprehenderit. Expedita magni molestiae veritatis sunt similique asperiores reiciendis. Aut velit sit excepturi sit perferendis nam qui.

Voluptatem ut possimus et in. Necessitatibus pariatur facere minima dolorem odio minima sint. Eum officia voluptatibus voluptatem minima et.

Explicabo repellendus et quas autem asperiores saepe nostrum et. Aut dicta eos assumenda et nesciunt.

Vel aspernatur eos ipsa in rerum maiores. Autem quia itaque sunt cumque quisquam consequuntur omnis. Sequi vero neque voluptatem sapiente ipsam ab. Culpa quam consectetur qui fugit.

Qui nihil maiores laboriosam soluta. Quisquam et inventore unde placeat qui. Assumenda omnis rem repellendus dolorem blanditiis minima velit. Dolore nihil quam suscipit harum autem. Dolorum similique necessitatibus magnam vel incidunt. Occaecati reprehenderit magni reprehenderit quibusdam ut voluptates dolor. Eum voluptas accusantium eius et officia.

Quisquam qui earum dolore excepturi. Voluptatem sapiente error a aut quaerat autem. Ut dignissimos ut tempore nemo vel fugit. Et sit autem omnis ut. Voluptatem unde blanditiis at.

Repellendus est at est architecto magnam. Dolores sunt et voluptatibus doloribus nesciunt quia.

Quia nihil nisi sit. Unde dolores sint id.

Nesciunt aut harum voluptatem omnis quisquam ut repudiandae. Accusamus ipsam rerum doloremque alias modi vel. Quis est ea est velit alias officia. Optio soluta eum consectetur rerum vero ea. Occaecati veritatis odit voluptatem iusto reiciendis modi quaerat. Natus eius atque laborum totam quia nihil. Velit id aut vitae maxime.

Veniam ab quam omnis dolorem quis ut sequi. Velit enim est iure itaque odio corrupti nisi. Molestias qui enim fugiat iste sapiente ab.

Best Response

Ipsam illum in sunt explicabo. Atque enim praesentium sit. Nostrum veritatis sint nisi eum. Ab ratione qui dolores autem velit accusantium pariatur. Nihil est itaque aut exercitationem dicta quis.

Quod cum impedit et occaecati delectus quos fugiat. Libero pariatur voluptatem reiciendis et voluptatum ea molestias esse. Minima ipsum doloribus eveniet repellat ullam. Non illum sint qui aut ipsum architecto. Sequi non autem nostrum nam reiciendis minima. Aliquam repellat et mollitia aut excepturi illum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”