Bloomberg Article -100k night out to celebrate a deal??

There is an entertaining article on Bloomberg on "black card" concierge services in NYC (link below). I was quite surprised by a comment from "Richard, a sell-side banker":

"Say we do a billion deal. Three percent of that is 30 million dollars. Bottom line, a night out at $100,000 is just not relevant,"

Is that for real?? I know depending on group culture etc MDs can treat the team to a night out, but saying 100k is a drop in the bucket seems unreal. can you really expense that???

"A Fun Night Out for Under $200,000"

Most banks have caps on closing events. Generally $10k. More importantly, for M&A deals (unlike equity or debt closing dinners), the banks pay for the dinner themselves (i.e. it is not expensed to the client or the syndicate). As such, $100k closing event is highly improbable. To go over the bank approved cap, exceptions need to be made by senior bankers (i.e. head of investment banking). Even then, the most I have ever seen is $25k for two boxes at a Giants game.

Also, 3% fee on a sell-side that big is pretty much unheard of.

When one man, for whatever reason, has an opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

A billion dollar deal neither nets you a 30mm fee or a 100k closing dinner budget, so whoever made that quote is clearly a wannabe.

$10-15bn could net you $30mm, and you can justify 100k on that.

Of course, its just tacky to take a client to a nightclub with njguido. Golf at St. Andrews and scotch tasting in the highlands or dinner for 25 or marlin fishing near cabo, that stuff works.

Best Response

That "reporter" did a really shitty job.

1. Its not DJ Tiesta, its Tiesto. Discredit #1.
  2. Mixing IBers and Hedge Funds is completely different. A big hedge fund isn't going to have the same expense policy as an IB. And at this day in age, no one at a BB is going to spend $100k consistently. I'm sure some big dicks have the occasional 100k night out, but not nearly as often as they make it sound like.
  3. Basketball players spending $100k consistently at a nightclub? Maybe Lebron. Most of these guys would go broke after 10 nights of going out if that was the case.

I'm tired of liberal sensationalist reporters making absurd comments about people with money. It just creates more ammo for the people bitching about inequality, when its entirely not true.

CorpFinanceGuy:

Haha maybe he meant DJ Fiesta, the Mexican Tiesto. Incidentally Tiesto is doing a 2 year residency at the Hakassan in Vegas and tickets are often surprisingly cheap (under $40 ish) if you are not buying the VIP package/bottle service.
Too late for second-guessing Too late to go back to sleep.

brandon st randy:
CorpFinanceGuy:

Haha maybe he meant DJ Fiesta, the Mexican Tiesto.
Incidentally Tiesto is doing a 2 year residency at the Hakassan in Vegas and tickets are often surprisingly cheap (under $40 ish) if you are not buying the VIP package/bottle service.

Lol, yea. Maybe the reporter accidentally added an extra "0" or two in his notes?

Agreed. The article tries to paint a picture of the handful of clubs they name as being something akin to a Drophead Phantom parked in the middle of a courtyard at a french chateau, flooded to the sunroof with champagne and chilled with frozen softball-sized uncut diamonds. In reality, they're something between a Jersey OTB and a trendy restaurant.

It reads like its written by a 15 year old who snuck into a club with his older sibling and came back to all his pimply faced friends to tell them of his mystical night rubbing elbows with Jay and Bey while popping bottles with Floyd Mayweather and Juster Bieber in between trysts with the sex nymphs that were strewn about like discarded Dom P corks.

Marcus_Halberstram:

It reads like its written by a 15 year old who snuck into a club with his older sibling and came back to all his pimply faced friends to tell them of his mystical night rubbing elbows with Jay and Bey while popping bottles with Floyd Mayweather and Juster Bieber in between trysts with the sex nymphs that were strewn about like discarded Dom P corks.

haha on point. That's a great stereotype they're building there.
Maximum effort.

Marcus_Halberstram:

Agreed. The article tries to paint a picture of the handful of clubs they name as being something akin to a Drophead Phantom parked in the middle of a courtyard at a french chateau, flooded to the sunroof with champagne and chilled with frozen softball-sized uncut diamonds. In reality, they're something between a Jersey OTB and a trendy restaurant.

Image in my head - priceless. And accurate probably.

"When you stop striving for perfection, you might as well be dead."

dartzrip:

That jut seems incredibly unrealistic and incorrect. I'm no professional, and I'm not even in the industry, but I don't really even see how it's very possible to even blow $100k on team members in a night.

wtf did you post?

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

Houston_OG:

I've always wondered why team members are required to take deal toys and not receive a cash bonus in the amnt of the deal toy. Even if it's just a $150 tiny lucite, I would have to think some analysts would rather have the money than follow on toy.

Hahaha. I would love to see the look on your MD's face when you seem that hard up for $150. Would it be pity or disgust? lol

It may not make any logical sense but people like trophies... we're boys trapped in mens bodies looking for shiny cars and pretty girls.

Yes 3% is more in line with financing fees, considering ECM would charge 3-5%, any public debt would be 1-3% and any term debt would charge much more interest and further fees so it is very likely you could generate $30m. The advisory portion would be closer to $5m though or 0.5%

In this transaction RBC was intending to make $19-25m on a $675m deal so $30m seems plausible

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-03-10/rbc-carelessly-drove-a…

Unless that team consist of 1,000 grunts there's no way anyone in this day and age can expense that kind of money. 3% fees is just plain stupid to say around deals of that size. He'll get his 3% on a 10m mom and pop deal, but never on a billion dollar deal.

Talk about fuckers fronting like it's going outta fashion with these ridiculous claims.

ST Monkey:

Unless that team consist of 1,000 grunts there's no way anyone in this day and age can expense that kind of money. 3% fees is just plain stupid to say around deals of that size. He'll get his 3% on a 10m mom and pop deal, but never on a billion dollar deal.

Talk about fuckers fronting like it's going outta fashion with these ridiculous claims.

+1.

Winners bring a bigger bag than you do. I have a degree in meritocracy.

Maybe companies aren't splurging like Bloomberg says they are, but some ultra wealthy families are. Check out this Article in BBC.

A two-week break for the average wealthy — those with at least $30 million in assets and usually more — family costs about $230,000, said John Bird, head of concierge services for Oracle Capital Group, a London-based company that offers a variety of services to ultra high net-worth individuals, although he’s seen families spend upwards of $3 million on month-long trips.
$230,000 on a family vacation??

I take any of this hand shake, club stuff with a grain of salt. Who knows how much money is actually being swung around and I'm sure there are people who will pay 100,000 grand for an all you can drink, limo fest in NYC.

Also, why on earth would you pre-swipe your card for 100 to 200 grand. Who actually does that? If you are spending that much on a night out I'd suspect you'd want a lot more control over it than these guys will give you. Maybe I'm totally off base but I think that the guys who run this 'scene' are more show than go.

Waits for 1000+ high school kids with a keen interest in finance sign up on WSO and ask which school, major, bank, group, SA watch, shoes and etc will get them to THAT 100k night

Regardless whether 100k on a night is realistic or not, if that asshole MD/Associate/VP gives me a 6 pack with a pat on the back, I'm smiling.

The more money you make, the more people complain they can't do enough with it. During my SA, an asshole MD complained that he couldn't have a vacation with his wife and two kids for under $50k. This was a day after I managed to find flights to Rome for $120 and thought I was ballin'. Perspective is a wonderful thing. We used to travel to games in college on cramped buses for 4/5 hours. Nothing would posses me to spend 1k on first class to Rome for a 4 hour flight. NOTHING.

Yea that's possible (didn't read the article). Just not in a bank at the moment...

At the moment you get spanked for anything under the sun, GBP 150.00 per head in S&T when we used to pretty much have no real limits as long as you brought the money in (assuming you were not dropping 10k on your friend who pays you 50K a year in comms...).

In IBD you'll have a nice fancy closing dinners, but you won't be dropping 100K on your client in "da club" to celebrate the 100k of fees you just made on a recent IPO where you were 5 banks sharing that fee...

Although, If you are closing a deal in the $50mln+ OF FEES I could see how you could have an exception made to spend that much money. Just don't really see that happening at the moment...

People going to IBD and doing 90+ hours weeks to do 100k nights once every year are losers. Personally, I don't go to the closing dinners of the deals I closed. I'd rather spend the night working on a high-profile and exciting RfP to bring in the fees 1 year later

What a bag of hot air. We had a hard time spending more than 5k divided on 5 guys tonight. Granted we need to work tomorrow.

CNBC sucks "This financial crisis is worse than a divorce. I've lost all my money, but the wife is still here." - Client after getting blown up

In vitae in ad facere. Qui sed a omnis. Assumenda aut eaque ab. Consequuntur ut non amet ducimus sint eos.

A dicta dolores aut. Qui est veritatis quo rerum doloribus rerum nesciunt. Reiciendis enim accusantium porro. Dolorum quia et aspernatur voluptas non sed. In commodi eveniet explicabo officiis omnis. Aut sit illum ducimus sequi voluptate sed et.

Doloremque voluptatem asperiores omnis repellat accusamus distinctio. Quia odio repudiandae ducimus aut saepe.

Praesentium et rerum non dignissimos atque et. Ratione ut natus dolores asperiores ab corporis temporibus. Consectetur est qui omnis autem pariatur nulla. Dolor est rerum tenetur dignissimos molestiae.

Qui quasi autem sed nisi. Possimus ut dolores totam omnis nostrum aut.

Amet itaque eaque placeat iusto. Omnis nulla placeat occaecati possimus. Natus aut deleniti quibusdam exercitationem cupiditate labore. Totam numquam veritatis odit natus laudantium ad ut. Aperiam et sed non impedit.

Corporis et non corrupti delectus deserunt dolores. Aut et qui nobis est non voluptates.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”