Bonus Bananas June 27, 2014

1) Dinner Between Polish Ministers Wiretapped, Hilarity Ensues (VICE)
The prize for the best quote goes to the interior minister, Bartłomiej Sienkiewicz. In the first recording to be released, he tells the governor of Poland’s central bank that “the Polish state exists only in theory; in practice it doesn’t exist.”

2) Inmate Tries to Use Drones to Smuggle Drugs (Motherboard)
Unfortunately, (fortunately?) the inmate crash-landed his remote-controlled quadcopter laden with drugs in the exercise yard his Wheatfield Prison in west Dublin.

3) Ecuador's Uncontacted Tribes Find Jungle Oil (Motherboard)
What happens when a remote population of nomadic people figure out they have oil on their lands?

4) Bill Clinton Spent $7150 on Shinola Watches? (Business Insider)
"I bought 14 of them myself in two different runs," Clinton said. "I bought five at Christmas and nine when I was there. And I just give them away and hope that I'll make you more customers."

5) Supreme Court Rules Aereo is Illegal (TechCrunch)
Aereo let you tune into your favorite show, watch it live, and record it to a DVR service by allowing users to rent a remote antenna with a cloud locker service. In theory Aereo would have allowed you to avoid the purchase of bundles channels and instead tune specifically to the shows you wished to tune to.

6) Investments Decline as Ed-Tech Grows Up (TechCrunch)
School may be out for summer, but the nation’s education-focused technology startups are still hitting the books.

7) Employees Who Stay with Companies (Forbes)
I guess you're only staying 2-years in IBD after all. This is assuming that your career is only going to last 10 years. The longer you work, the greater the difference will become over your lifetime.

8) The Weekly Oil and Gas Follies (Forbes)
Courtesy of the timely David Blackmon comes my favorite series chronicling the week’s stupidity, shenanigans, fake news, and real news of the oil and natural gas industry.

9) SOS Message Left in Jeans by Chinese Sweatshop Worker (Fermanagh)
You reach into the pocket of your new jeans to find a Chinese ID and an SOS message detailing the worklife of a Chinese Sweatshop worker with a plea for help. What do you do?

10) Why Financial Security Can Ruin You (Entrepreneur)
a 62-year old retiree decides that his $300 million fortune will go along with him to his grave, leaving his children penniless and without financial security in order to teach them to stand on their own two feet. Would you do it?

Video of the Week:

On the same day we were taking a gander on trading strategies in response to the Wars of the Middle East Tyrant from the FX Network aired. Tyrant relocates Godfather to the fictional Gulf nation of Abuddin, an authoritarian Middle Eastern state. The show focuses on the second-son of its dying Dictator as he takes the reins. The first episode aired June 24th, and if assassinations, corrupt politics, and House of Cards-esque politicking are your cup of tea, give the pilot a view.

But, it could be argued that anyone in finance is an outlier in this case. #7 seems to touch on run-of-the-mill employees and employers.

"If you have enough assets plus passive income to cover your personal lifestyle expenses for the rest of your life, and that money allows you to work at something you love, without concern for the amount of compensation, then you are wealthy."

1. If I had to spend that on a humanitarian cause in Detroit, I would have bought houses, and I probably would have given them away to cops, like the city is doing.
[quote=Matrick][in reply to Tony Snark"]Why aren't you blogging for WSO and become the date doctor for WSO? There seems to be demand. [/quote] [quote=BatMasterson][in reply to Tony Snark's dating tip] Sensible advice.[/quote]

Ha, love that #10 is Sting. I'd say his approach is extreme, a million or two in inheritance won't turn them into Hiltons.

But at least his kids won't have to feel bad about spending blood money earned from tormenting easy listening stations with "Fields of Gold."

Voluptatem aut asperiores libero magnam quia. Quaerat facilis dolores ipsam consequatur ex id est. Esse et iusto aperiam praesentium similique natus totam. Quo dolore et laboriosam recusandae nostrum. Cupiditate perferendis distinctio et voluptatibus aliquid omnis. Omnis nam atque ratione voluptas ea nihil illum. Eaque reiciendis dolorum odio sed.

Sed voluptatibus nisi laborum ducimus et. Dolorum perferendis et excepturi tempora voluptatum aut tenetur. Temporibus esse dolor et qui non consequuntur. Ea nemo repudiandae quae dolorem. Molestiae mollitia soluta veniam dolores. Cupiditate voluptatem dolore in.

Officiis occaecati dolorem incidunt reiciendis sed dolor. Rem consequatur est laboriosam tempore sint sint dolorum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”