...but the 2012 10K isn't out yet! whaaaa????

Haaay errbody! So, I need to have a 3-statement + DCF ready by early January for a dude than can LAUNCH my career if I impress, but the 10k statements I need to properly compute annual historical ratios and forward drivers won’t be released until Feb. So how should handle this issue and create 2012 statementa for the model? Don't want to use ER reports, especially since this may double as an IB/ER work sample in the future. I’d really appreciate feedback on this plan:

Set up 5 columns for the historical statements of 2010, 2011, and the first 3 quarters of 2012. Project the 2012 Q4 I/S by using basic growth and margin assumptions. Project the Q4 B/S using full schedules for working cap, PP&E, etc, just as I would do for a full annual projection, except in this case it’s just a quarter and it’s also “projecting the past” if you will.

Add the 2012 Q4 I/S projection to the first 3 Quarters’ actual results to get the full 2012 I/S. Use the Q4 BS as the year-end BS. Hide the 2012 Quarter columns, and leave showing the 2012 year-end statements as the most recent historical period. Then project 2013 and onward as normal.

Perhaps it’s a lot of work, but totally worth it to me, if it’s the most thorough and logical way to solve the problem…so, is it? What should be done differently? And no I don’t need a full rev/exp build, just margin assumptions for the IS. Thanks for any input!

You need to project Q4 separately. It depends on the company. Some have revenue that is seasonal and you will have to project Q4 by looking at Q4 performance in relation to Q1-Q3 performance for the past few years (pain in the ass to gather all that information). If its not seasonal then you can reliably just forecast Q4 numbers based off the preceding quarters and comparing to ER.

kobalt:
You need to project Q4 separately. It depends on the company. Some have revenue that is seasonal and you will have to project Q4 by looking at Q4 performance in relation to Q1-Q3 performance for the past few years (pain in the ass to gather all that information). If its not seasonal then you can reliably just forecast Q4 numbers based off the preceding quarters and comparing to ER.
I pretty much get what you’re saying, thanks. But I want to confirm what you meant by “needing to project Q4 separately” – isn't a separate Q4 projection exactly what I described? Or do you mean a different method?

The Situation:
kobalt:
I pretty much get what you’re saying, thanks. But I want to confirm what you meant by “needing to project Q4 separately” – isn't a separate Q4 projection exactly what I described? Or do you mean a different method?

A lot of beginning finance students will not take any of the quarterly data into account and will project the financials for the entire year instead of just the remaining quarter(s). This is obviously less accurate because you are not directly using data from the quarterly filings (just indirectly, somewhat, through updated guidance and ER). Of course, not having to deal with quarterly data makes things much easier, so if you're just trying to do a quick model for an entry-level course it is fine.

Build the operating model normally, then use LTM and a specific date of entry into valuation purposes with stub years. If you really want to project a quarter you can, I just think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Don't bite off more than you can chew. It's much more impressive to balance a model than to have quarterlies and not balance correctly.

SanityCheck:
Build the operating model normally, then use LTM and a specific date of entry into valuation purposes with stub years. If you really want to project a quarter you can, I just think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Don't bite off more than you can chew. It's much more impressive to balance a model than to have quarterlies and not balance correctly.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I understand the method you described, perhaps b/c I don’t really know stub periods, and don’t understand what you meant by “build the operating model normally.” Would your way essentially involve leaving out 2012 Q4 data, and thus using “weird” historical periods, i.e.: 1) Q4 2009 through Q3 2010 2) Q4 2010 through Q3 2011 3) Q4 2011 through Q3 2012

Then project 2013E, 2014E, etc.? If so, then I’m afraid that would be as tricky as the method I described. I may have misunderstood you - sorry, not very advanced or maybe just dumb ha. To me, using a full 2012 year is the most conceptually sound method but I could be wrong.

Best Response
The Situation:
SanityCheck:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I understand the method you described, perhaps b/c I don’t really know stub periods, and don’t understand what you meant by “build the operating model normally.” Would your way essentially involve leaving out 2012 Q4 data, and thus using “weird” historical periods, i.e.: 1) Q4 2009 through Q3 2010 2) Q4 2010 through Q3 2011 3) Q4 2011 through Q3 2012

Then project 2013E, 2014E, etc.? If so, then I’m afraid that would be as tricky as the method I described. I may have misunderstood you - sorry, not very advanced or maybe just dumb ha. To me, using a full 2012 year is the most conceptually sound method but I could be wrong.

What I mean is to build it 2011, 2012, etc. with 2011 as your latest historical year. Which means you're making an educated guess for 2012 even though you have 3 quarters worth.

But when you actually value the company, you're going to come in at a stub year or LTM year. You're going to use a full 2012 year but part of it is going to be an estimate which is fine given that you're using a stub year as a starting point for valuation.

And no worries, it's hard to explain over the internet, just do a regular annual model and extrapolate starting from 2012.

Do exactly what you said you'd do in the original post, but I wouldn't treat Q4 as a historical period.

Like West Coast Rainmaker mentioned, look to see if the Company provided guidance or check where the sell-side consensus is for Q4 as a sanity check.

When you say "valuing the company as of early 2013"... what exactly do you mean?

If you are running a DCF, you should discount CFs for Q4 as they are in the future. This is referred to as the "stub period" because it's not a whole year. Discount the remaining years / terminal multiple - however you plan to do it.

I wouldn't suggest treating Q4 like a historical and having your first discount period as 2013. It's a little bit lazy and wouldn't fly if you were in IB.

Lastly, if you are valuing the company on multiples, be careful to use the same period for the Company and any peers. If you want to put a 15x multiple on the Company's 2013 EPS, that's 5 quarters out, so make sure the multiples for peers are also 5 quarters out. Or, convert all to NTM (next twelve months)

grosse:
Do exactly what you said you'd do in the original post, but I wouldn't treat Q4 as a historical period.

When you say "valuing the company as of early 2013"... what exactly do you mean?

If you are running a DCF, you should discount CFs for Q4 as they are in the future. This is referred to as the "stub period" because it's not a whole year. Discount the remaining years / terminal multiple - however you plan to do it.

I wouldn't suggest treating Q4 like a historical and having your first discount period as 2013. It's a little bit lazy and wouldn't fly if you were in IB.

By “valuation as of 2013”, I mean that I’m gonna send the model/report out in early January, so I need to calculate the worth of the company/stock on a specific date around that time, e.g. January 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

When January rolls around, why would I keep Q4 as a future period? Q4 cash flows are from a past period; results have not been released yet, but that doesn't change the fact that, by January, Q4 will have come and gone. So if the model is being done after Q4, how can it be conceptually correct to treat Q4 as a future period?!!?

Rerum facere asperiores assumenda velit qui sit. Culpa delectus sequi voluptatem mollitia necessitatibus. Distinctio et dignissimos et asperiores. Omnis cum aperiam est aut dolores magnam sed dolorem. Beatae voluptatibus aut repellendus modi veniam odit omnis delectus. Dolore deserunt quia ratione numquam.

Nostrum expedita quia sunt suscipit et alias. Nobis aut culpa sunt earum assumenda iure voluptatibus. Harum deleniti voluptates aut. Cumque asperiores dolorem minus ullam.

Aut dicta dignissimos est odio voluptatem asperiores. Laboriosam et iusto illum eius cumque ut sed magnam. Ullam officiis nam expedita sunt minus. Molestiae corporis nihil sequi et ex. Voluptas rerum tempora molestias laboriosam eos laboriosam culpa quia. Eligendi quod eos voluptatem voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”