Buying a $6,000 watch

Guess you cant include Rolex in your thread title.. What are your thoughts on the Datejust on younger guys? (22-24). Is it really an "older" man's watch?

This is the one I'm interested in.. nothing too fancy:

http://www.beverlyhillswatch.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9d…

futurectdoc:

Rolex watches are the sign someone isn't serious about horlogy,

This. People buy a Rolex because they want other people to know they spent a shitload of money on a watch. There are so many better watches for people who actually care more about the watch than whether or not Joe Blow on the subway knows he spent $6,000 on a watch.

guyfromct:

Just don't, I would choose any one of a number of other watches before that, get a used Brietling or Jaeger. Rolex watches are the sign someone isn't serious about horlogy, that said they don't depreciate that badly,

I hope you are kidding about breitling. Breitling cannot be compared to Rolex. You can have an argument about why Rolex is so expensive compared to other watches. But lets be serious, Rolex is a good manufacturer with iconic watches and very well respected by anyone who is serious about horlogy. Breitling is the brand which is not well respected by people who knows about watches. Plus, they have a horrible design (most of them).

Having said that, Id recommend the OP an Omega, seamaster or speedmaster if it is your first nice watch. Omega is definitely value for money.

I totally agree about Seiko. Japanese watches are great given their price. In house movement and some of them have a good design.

I stopped wearing watches a while go. Seriously unless you are one of those (wanna be) nouveu riche Chinese people who is eager to showcase their status symbol I just don't see any practical values to these artifacts anymore. Maybe get a smart watch. Those things can actually save you time (literally) and can be synced to all your calendars and files.

Too late for second-guessing Too late to go back to sleep.

I would avoid Rolex just because they are so common. And on a younger person, depending on how you're perceived, some people may wonder if it's fake. And maybe it's just me, but I'm not a huge fan of Rolex's designs...

Rolex is sort of a victim of its own success. They make good watches, but everyone and their mother knows what it is and as the above posters have mentioned, it could give off the indication that you know jack about watches and horology. While some people who are actual watch aficionados have Rolex and buy it because they understand what they're buying - a large portion of the population buy it because they are new money trying to show off.

I disagree with the Breitling suggestion - to each their own, but I think they are overpriced for what they are. But definitely check out Jaeger LeCoultre (I think you can get something basic from JLC at $6K? Maybe need to move up closer to $7K). Also look at Glashutte Original (very well regarded German watchmaker and they make their movements in-house). At $6K, I think you can also consider Zenith. I think some people may also suggest looking at IWC Portuguese or one of their pilot watches like the Mark XVII or spitfire (though I think they upgraded the Spitfire and it may be over $6K).

I might be overestimating what you can get for $6K. In recent years prices of watches have gone up, so what you used to be able to get for $6K is probably $7K by now. But those brands I mentioned should have some watches around that price range.

Check out watchsnob on AskMen. It's got some blog/Q&A entries on well-regarded watches and often people write in with budgets.

Asatar:

I don't see the point in spending that kind of money on a watch. I have a $500 watch which was an 18th present from a grandparent and it tells the time perfectly, looks fine and I have my phone as well.

They are essentially a rube goldberg device that measure penises. The more depleted resources and complexity they are composed of, the larger your penis.

On a serious note, it is similar to a taste in art, scotch, cigars, etc. Some people can get 1,000 feet deep while others are comfortable just wading in the shallow end...each person is different.

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

@Kanon

I totally agree that Rolex is a victim of its own success. They definitely have nice watches, but unfortunately, it definitely brings buyers who care little about watches, but just want to make a bling statement.

To the OP, you could definitely do worse than buy that watch, but you could also do better. The Rolex will hold value better than virtually almost any other brand. Jaeger and IWC I think are nice and you could get something in this price range.

If you do a little research, you can get a sense of watches that are intersting and attractive to you. Don't just buy something that everyone else wants. I think you will be much happier if you do plenty of research and come to an idea that's not as obvious as this watch. But, even if you do plenty of research and conclude this is the one for you, I think you will appreciate this watch more for having done the research.

DickFuld:

@Kanon

I totally agree that Rolex is a victim of its own success. They definitely have nice watches, but unfortunately, it definitely brings buyers who care little about watches, but just want to make a bling statement.

To the OP, you could definitely do worse than buy that watch, but you could also do better. The Rolex will hold value better than virtually almost any other brand. Jaeger and IWC I think are nice and you could get something in this price range.

If you do a little research, you can get a sense of watches that are intersting and attractive to you. Don't just buy something that everyone else wants. I think you will be much happier if you do plenty of research and come to an idea that's not as obvious as this watch. But, even if you do plenty of research and conclude this is the one for you, I think you will appreciate this watch more for having done the research.

Good point on Rolex. While being a brand known by mainstream makes it common, at the same time the market for Rolex is very liquid and therefore keeps its value. If you plan on buying the watch and keeping it forever, I suppose then it doesn't matter, but it's nice for those who like to buy and turnaround watches after some time.

Completely agree on the research bit. Couldn't have said it better.

TNA:

Yeah, I took a look at a gold/stainless datejust last year and it was just cheap feeling. Like the bracelet was flimsy. I would either save the money or get something else.

I'd likely buy the Rolex or nothing at all and just save the money. Other brands are nice but whenever I see a Rolex in person it captures my attention.

I have three Omega's and a really old, gold Waltham from my great uncle so I really didn't need anything. I've gotten more into older watches recently. My desire for another watch ebbs and flows.

Three Omegas? Speedmaster? Seamaster?

I have a vintage Universe Geneve and it's my daily watch. Probably not worth much, but I really like it because I think you don't see it too often and for sentimental reasons.

I quite like the look of some old watches. But I am hesitant to buy vintage watches in fear that I don't know how to properly evaluate the watch condition (for the price offered) and whether or not parts have been replaced (not all the original parts - maybe some stuff not from the original make of the watch) and etc. I imagine if you go to a trusted dealer it should be fine, but I don't quite trust my own eye for these things just yet.

Kanon:

Three Omegas? Speedmaster? Seamaster?

I have a vintage Universe Geneve and it's my daily watch. Probably not worth much, but I really like it because I think you don't see it too often and for sentimental reasons.

I quite like the look of some old watches. But I am hesitant to buy vintage watches in fear that I don't know how to properly evaluate the watch condition (for the price offered) and whether or not parts have been replaced (not all the original parts - maybe some stuff not from the original make of the watch) and etc. I imagine if you go to a trusted dealer it should be fine, but I don't quite trust my own eye for these things just yet.

Yeah, I have a Constellation, Speedmaster and Seamaster. Nothing special, but I like them. I bought them all so long ago that they were relatively cheap (paid $1K for the Seamaster which is now selling for double and more).

I've been toying with a Cartier Santos Large that I would get a custom strap for. Honestly this is all window shopping as I don't need to be pissing money away on yet another watch.

Just 3. An IWC, the vintage Universe Geneve, and an old Seiko. I've been debating whether to buy a Stowa as a secondary 'daily' watch, or to just hold off and someday buy a JLC or Glashutte. At the moment I've decided to just hold off. I really don't need another watch, but it's just an interest of mine. It started when I was looking at women's watches and realized I really don't like the look of women luxury watches (usually very over-the-top, with jewels on the bezel or dial) which are usually too ostentatious. Saw that men's watches are generally much more subtle and refined and saw more women wearing men's watches. Read up on forums and asked people what you can get at different price points and started to get into it.

I might have one other from inheritance - but they aren't my style, and I'm not the right age to pull it off.

Kanon:
I really don't need another watch, but it's just an interest of mine. It started when I was looking at women's watches and realized I really don't like the look of women luxury watches (usually very over-the-top, with jewels on the bezel or dial) which are usually too ostentatious. Saw that men's watches are generally much more subtle and refined and saw more women wearing men's watches.

I don't know if I should call that more ironic or fortunate...I'm actually looking to get a classy watch only to look nice for the ladies. I have pretty much no actual interest in watches...I barely know what a dial is. I guess I was spot on - girls love when a guy has a nice watch.

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/finance/going-concern>Going Concern</a></span>:
Kanon:

I really don't need another watch, but it's just an interest of mine. It started when I was looking at women's watches and realized I really don't like the look of women luxury watches (usually very over-the-top, with jewels on the bezel or dial) which are usually too ostentatious. Saw that men's watches are generally much more subtle and refined and saw more women wearing men's watches.

I don't know if I should call that more ironic or fortunate...I'm actually looking to get a classy watch only to look nice for the ladies. I have pretty much no actual interest in watches...I barely know what a dial is. I guess I was spot on - girls love when a guy has a nice watch.

Things like fancy watches and $1200 shoes impress other guys; they'll never impress women directly.

holla_back:
Things like fancy watches and $1200 shoes impress other guys; they'll never impress women directly.

I don't know...maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty sure that girls like when a guy looks well put together, and an elegant looking watch (doesn't have to be from a particular brand or price range) along with the rest of the appearance certainly adds to that aesthetic appeal. But more importantly, knowing you're wearing a nice watch could give you more confidence (direct internal effect) which is manifested outwardly (indirect external effect). At the very least...it certainly doesn't hurt to look nice when it comes to the ladies.

Best Response

Honestly, most girls won't be aware of the brands. They'll just look at a watch and if it looks like it could be worth something, they'd just assume it. But a watch is really a small small part of appearances. If anything, it's more about the way you dress (fit and style, not so much the brand or cost of clothes), nice upkeep (hair, figure), and self confidence / high self esteem that makes someone attractive.

You really shouldn't be buying a watch to impress the ladies, and I kinda doubt it boosts self confidence. Just buy it as a treat for yourself, if that's something you're interested in.

If you're buying a watch that's aesthetically pleasing but doesn't cost a limb, then probably look at watches like Hamilton, Tissot, Stowa, Archimede, Frederique Constant (which makes awesome watches at a huge price range - I think you might be able to get something for under $1K that is stellar in quality).

Normally I'd suggest Seiko (the ones made in Japan, not the US-based models) as a $400 and under option because they actually make great watches inside and out (e.g., http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/seiko-sarb065-cocktail-time-photos-gal…). But the general American population wont' understand the difference between a Japan based Seiko vs. a cheaper or quartz based one (and they'll just assume you got it for $100). So for your purposes, you can try the other brands.

There's no need to go for a low end Rolex - only buy it if that's something YOU like.

This might help: http://www.theversatilegent.com/great-mens-watches-under-1000/ The Stowa, Sinn, Frederique Constant and the Steinhart in this list are some good options.

Personally, I am not a fan of Rolex watches. For a few reasons, 1) Rolex is not very creative with their timepieces, 2) they are everywhere, Rolex produces ~1 million watches a year, 2) while they hold their value, and the market for them is pretty liquid, they are usually for people that don't really know a ton about watches (this is a generalization, there are clearly exceptions).

I will say I do appreciate that Rolex makes an in-house movement that has stood the test of time. But then again the argument over in-house movements isn't one I always agree with; many top watch manufacturers will take an "outsourced" movement and make it their own (see some of the IWC watches), which can yield some pretty incredible results.

I am a big fan of Jaeger LeCoultre (master control, ultra thin moon, etc). They make a more limited run of watches, they have some gorgeous pieces, they are completely in-house, and they used to provide AP, VC, and Patek with their movements back in the day (not a bad track record).

Other great options are Blancpain, Glashutte, IWC, and if you want to get something with a little more personality then you can even go Ulysse Nardin (not the biggest fan, but they have some creative stuff). One of my favorite watches is probably the glashutte senator panorama date moonphase.

Summary is: not a huge fan of Rolex, for that much money there are better watches on the market.

DickFuld -

The problem with the article you listed is that the last "innovation" listed regarding Rolex was in 1954.

I don't hate Rolex watches, I just don't find them very creative or appealing. It is the same reason I don't find Tag watches, or even most Breitling watches appealing (even most AP watches). Rolex makes good watches, but like I said before, for $6K you can get, in my opinion, a more unique piece (more personality, etc). I also think people limit themselves to "Rolex or bust" and don't explore what watches they actually like (i.e. "if it says Rolex it is good enough for me"...sounds like "as long as it is I Banking I don't care").

You don't see Rolex minute repeaters or grand complications. You also don't see them creating a watch like the Ulysse Nardin Freak (probably for a good reason there...).

And again this is just my personal opinion, but they all have a very similar look. This is the reason I don't really like AP, I don't really like the "main" AP look, and most of their watches are so similar (except for Jules Audemars watches, which I find really cool).

Anyway, just stating my thoughts, and I don't want my thoughts to be taken as "Rolex watches suck", just not my personal preference.

I don't totally disagree, but more importantly, everyone has different taste. I wasn't pointing that commemt at you specifically, but there is a general opinion among certain people that Rolexes suck, but they definitely don't suck...they may not be your taste which is totally fair and you can't fault someone for that. Regarding Audemars Piguet, I tend to agree with you that they are generally pretty ugly watches (especially the Royal Oak), but I can appreciate that they are well made watches. If someone said they didn't want a Rolex because they're too common, I would understand and generally agree. If I just wanted a decent automatic that looks pretty good, I would just get a Seiko automatic diving watch, which you can buy for a couple of hundred bucks.

CuriousAnalyst:

Guess you cant include Rolex in your thread title.. What are your thoughts on the Datejust on younger guys? (22-24). Is it really an "older" man's watch?

http://www.beverlyhillswatch.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/o/rolex-datejust-stainless-steel-36mm-oyster-bracelet-domed-bezel-silver-stick-index-dial-watch-116200-ykqnxp.jpg

If I was getting a datejust, that's the one I would get. I've seen people in their 20s wear them, and it's fine. I doubt you'll regret it. Should go up in value over time, or at least not lose you money unless you do something terrible to it.

Just my opinion: High profile luxury watch brands like Rolex just don't provide enough value anymore to justify the cost. It's the same with Louis Vuitton. The reason why is because there are soooo many knock offs out there that when I see a girl wearing a LV bag or a guy with a Rolex watch I assume it's a fake, even though it might be real.

There are so many better things to spend $6,000 on. Suits, vacation, debt/student loan extra payment, something.

"You are neither right nor wrong because the crowd disagrees with you. You are right because your data and reasoning are right." -Warren Buffett

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/company/trilantic-north-america>TNA</a></span>:

Get a Gucci watch or a low end Rolex. Women thinking bank tellers are bankers. I wear pretty nice watches and have never had one woman sweat me because of it.

Please no on the Gucci watch.

@"Going Concern" My guess is most girls won't know the difference between watch brands... they (and I guess most of the world) just know the mainstream names. So Rolex, Omega, Cartier, Tag, maybe IWC, any brand that has advertised at some major tennis or golf open... those should work for your purpose.

At $6k, I would get a Zenith El Primero or anything from NOMOS (the Tangomat would be my choice), which would actually save you some money. I just love the minimalistic look of NOMOS watches.

"Rolex watches are the sign someone isn't serious about horlogy, that said they don't depreciate that badly,"

While that might apply to a large number of Rolex owners, a generalization like that is just bollocks. Have a look at the big watch forums, and you'll quickly see that Rolex has got lots of fans among the watch afficionados (who clearly understand what they buy). Your statement indicates that Rolex is some sort of BOSE, where you pay tons of $$$ and at the same time most hifi guys think it's just good enough for the trash bin.

That being said, I'll disclose that I'm biased now as I've recently bought a Milgauss. I probably wouldn't wear most of the well known models b/c I work in a client environment so showing off is a no-no. Speaking of the DJ I do think that it's an old geezer's watch, but I know that many would challenge me here. Personal taste as always.

@OP: Have a look at the IWC Mark XV. "Someone who is serious about horology" would rather buy the DJ, because the IWC has no in-house movement, but I think that's a brilliant watch nonetheless, very versatile and to me the last true "Mark"-series IWC. And it's far away from being an old man's watch.

I have one of those JCrew collaboration watches (Mougin&Piquard?) and get complemented on it a lot given its relatively cheap price plus it has a very simple clean look. That being said, IWC watches look really nice to me; can't afford that at the moment though.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.

CuriousAnalyst:

http://www.beverlyhillswatch.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/o/rolex-datejust-stainless-steel-36mm-oyster-bracelet-domed-bezel-silver-stick-index-dial-watch-116200-ykqnxp.jpg

I'm +10 to your age group, but I still consider the DJ an "older" man's watch. Guess some never grow up :) But in all seriousness, that watch is definitely a classic, and depending on how you rock it, it could work very well for a younger guy. Personally, I'd rather choose something more contemporary, like an Omega Aqua Terra. Or a Rolex Explorer if you want to stick with the brand. With some DJ DNA I'd also throw in the Milgauss.

In case anyone was curious, I finally bought a watch for myself: Tissot Le Locle. Very elegant timepiece IMO, and at "only" $600, it seems like a great value. Definitely looks on the dressier side but that's what I wanted. Never bought a nice watch before so we'll see how this goes, but I'm loving it so far (though the strap mechanism is a tad clunky).

My second choices were Stowa Marine Roman at $1300 and Baume et Mercier Classima 8791 at a whopping $2700, but I think they would have been a bit much for someone (me) who doesn't know much about watches. Decided to go the more affordable route to start off.

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/economics/marginal-benefit>Marginal Benefit</a></span>:

Breitling for Bentley

JLC for Aston > Breitling for Bentley ;)

It's a nice watch. I'm 28 and would have no problem wearing that. You could wear it at your age too. But as others have mentioned, it's Rolex, it's common, and people know these cost a lot of money. Maybe not exactly how much, but I think most will assume thousands of dollars. OR... it's a hand me down. You'll just have to live with that. Can you?

Like some others have suggested, I'd go for another brand. Oris, Omega, Breitlings are common too but I wouldn't say they have the Rolex connotation. I get a lot of complements on my Seiko 007 diver watch. I call it a poor man's rolex and people always ask me if it's a Rolex even though it clearly says Seiko and it gives me a chance to talk about the comparisons.

But the watch you linked to is very nice. If you really like it, go for it.

As I've recommended before, I would take a serious look at JLC, Glashutte and Blancpain. Particular attention should be devoted to the Glasshutte PanoMaticLunar, JLC UltraThinMoonPhase, JLC DeepSea and Blancpain's Fifty Fathoms or Bathyscape. All solid watches with great value IMO. Check Zenith's 36,000 VPH, which houses the amazing El Primero movement.

These are all entry-level watches in the high-end spectrum of horology.

It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver. Niccolo Machiavelli

If you really love watches then there is nothing wrong with having a Rolex. If you buy it to be a showoff it is a bad idea. Anyone who writes people with Rolexes off as "douchey" or "show-offs" are jumping to huge conclusions. I personally love watches and will be buying a Submariner soon, and plan to build a collection over time, which will hopefully include a JLC Reverso, and hopefully one day, my grail, an FP Journe. If you know nothing about mechanical watches, their history, or have a deep appreciation for them, yeah don't waste your money. But if you really love and appreciate the history and craftmanship behind them, go for it.

maximus1111:

it may have been mentioned above, but what about rolex vs. omega - I know james bond wears the latter...

And you probably know that Bond used to wear the former until Omega plunked down a huge load of $$$ to make him switch?

mg0815:
maximus1111:

it may have been mentioned above, but what about rolex vs. omega - I know james bond wears the latter...

And you probably know that Bond used to wear the former until Omega plunked down a huge load of $$$ to make him switch?

Forget James Bond, did you see the new Rory McIlroy watch sunday? I must've seen that Omega commercial 12 times.

I bought the IWC Portuguese for around your price range. I'd recommend a non-Rolex brand with a little more uniqueness.

"If you want to succeed in this life, you need to understand that duty comes before rights and that responsibility precedes opportunity."

I think the Rolex Date-just is a very good watch for you. First of all, Rolex makes the most sturdy watches. So you can expect to keep that $6000 watch for at least 10 years.

I also suggest that you buy a watch with in house movement, meaning no ETA movements. Omega has a 8500 movement and you can buy Aqua Terra 8500 around this price. If you think the datejust is too mature for a 24 yr-old, I would recommed Rolex Submariners, but that would be $8000. You can look at IWC but the $5000 ones have ETA movements while the good ones cost around $9000.

Bottom line, you won't regret buying any Rolex.

P.S. maybe you will like Glashutte Original. Good, fancy, not very high price at entry level.

Et aspernatur itaque voluptatem corporis in placeat voluptatem. Adipisci nulla est laborum. Beatae necessitatibus est excepturi et eos commodi quis. Quo error vero reiciendis quos. Eaque eius cumque nam minima consequuntur totam. Exercitationem ea sit ut architecto veritatis in. Aut nemo possimus doloribus quisquam. Eos aut quidem sed omnis vel.

Rem in quos quae sapiente officiis labore. Cupiditate placeat nesciunt fugit. Vero quis omnis adipisci commodi.

Ullam soluta et voluptas vel tenetur nam. Sint quae voluptatem et at. Nesciunt impedit hic rerum iusto et fugit commodi. Velit repellat tempora ipsa et sint necessitatibus.

Pariatur incidunt aut ducimus accusamus voluptatem. Ut omnis occaecati placeat voluptate corrupti. Tempora sint earum ratione suscipit. Adipisci fugit id rerum ipsa voluptatem. Rerum nostrum culpa quam.

Libero voluptatibus ad corrupti vel unde. Aut est odit rem temporibus sit. Est nostrum occaecati enim ex consequuntur. Mollitia omnis nulla vero nulla.

Numquam sunt quo porro officiis at nemo debitis. Repellendus ut ullam iure ducimus et. Maxime exercitationem aliquam non dignissimos.

Corporis molestiae quaerat temporibus id. Quo rerum aspernatur officia at ratione sunt. Et minus quo molestiae reprehenderit. Dolorem quia autem totam cumque odio.

Non voluptate tenetur mollitia blanditiis. Laudantium vel repudiandae eum inventore ab est sit. Eius inventore libero nihil in beatae quis delectus.

Reprehenderit laudantium cum velit laudantium laboriosam porro. Quo culpa ullam autem sint earum tempora. Repellendus ipsam amet inventore rerum quam optio aliquam. Eum velit aut nihil quia.

Nisi ipsam pariatur sit dolorem suscipit totam. Consequatur in natus ullam vero. Distinctio itaque maiores qui porro ut ut nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”