Calling all applicants - Duke MMS class of 2016.

Hi guys,
Thought I'd start a thread for all the prospective applicants to the Duke MMS to come together.

Please introduce yourself here with a brief overview of your profile and when are you planning to apply! Would benifit each of us greatly!

My profile: June 2014 B.Tech CompSci grad, India: 73.24%(>3.5 GPA), June 2015 CFA Level II Candidate(Gave Level 1 this June), GRE:328(Q:168) & TOEFL: 110, Summer intern in Master data mgmt, Currently working as an Intern at a regionally well known Inv Bank. Will be applying in round 1.

Looking forward to interacting with all of you!

GPA: 3.3 GMAT: Pending (practice testing around 650 at the moment), Quant around 60% and Verbal at 80% Exp: -Capital Markets Analyst at national mortgage lender -Branch Intern at national brokerage -Finance Intern at NHL Team -Best Buy (sales) Activities: -Co-Founder/President of Investment Club -VP of Consulting Club

Hoping to boost my GMAT before applying in early January.

Hello, I got the interview invitation! If someone else too is invited, do not hesitate to pm me.

Also, if you haven't applied yet and want to talk about the process, I am happy to chat with you.

Thank you! my GMAT is within the range on their website but not excellent. - liberal arts, GPA 3.7 - experiences in media industry, - president of an international student-run organization - speak 4 languages

By the way, any alumni still reading this thread? I would love to know more about your experiences at Fuqua as well as the interview process. Thank you so much. And good luck with your application everyone!

leveltwo:

I also applied Round 2. Haven't heard back yet.
As per their website, the invites are supposed to be sent by 26 Feb.
Not sure how you got yours so early!

Same. I was under the impression that they sent interview invites and admit letters out at the same time for everybody.

leveltwo:

wtf is as per and why does their website have it

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

leveltwo:

wtf is as per and why does their website have it

LBS MiM is much better. World class business school and at least you learn something. Duke MMS is too basic. You can choose not to take cake courses in MiM and instead take some of the hardcore finance MiF level electives. In MMS, you have no choice. And I think paying thousands of dollars for something that you won't learn something from is a waste. Vandy has the excellent placement records and apply there if all you want is a job. It's a decent brand and also, you will learn something.

Hey guys, I think mine was an odd situation as one of the admission assistant was coming to my city and wanted to chat with me in person. But her trip was cancelled and so we chatted over Skype instead, it was not an official interview session.

SHRAM:

Has anyone heard from them about the round 2 interviews? It's supposed to be out tomorrow.. And has anyone gotten in yet ? From the previous round ?

They release all interview decisions at the same time. Everyone will probably get their decision tomorrow.

Guys, I found this group today and it's quite helpful to keep in touch with fellow applicants.

Hello everyone. Unfortunately, my status says 'Not Invited' and even I'm shocked to see that. Here's my profile GRE: 317 (Q-167, V-150) TOEFL: 110

Background: Bachelor of Technology, Mechanical Engineering, CGPA: 3.93/4

Internships: - Summer Analyst at a securities firm in equity derivatives sales and trading - Winter Intern in the commercial banking analytics division at an Indian bank.

Extra-curricular activities: - Part of the collegiate Baja team, participated and performed well at a couple of national events. - Played music as the lead guitarist for a couple of music groups at college, performed at various cultural fest and also received an award at one. - Part of the debate club,organised a couple of Model United Nations conferences.

What about you guys? It'll be great if you all can share your profiles and invitation status

Best Response

Hey, don't say that! You have your entire life ahead of you. You can reapply next year if you want to do it. There's also a program at UMichigan Ross, the deadline for that one is May 1; so if you haven't applied to that one, try it. also, keep on applying for jobs and you will eventually run upon something. Graduation is nerve-wrecking for us all, just keep your head up and keeping moving forward! Look at it this way, you're graduating from college and that already is amazing in itself, whereas most of the world, that's not possible.

jbrandong:

Yeah I've heard the same. I'm personally trying to get into EY or McKinsey if possible. But who knows. If we get in we might find some other areas of interest.

EY is very doable.

Undergrad in BBA major in finance 3.35 GPA A decently average gmat score Research papers and entrepreneurship projects Started social entrepreneurship club Lot of community work Tons of other extra curricular activities, head of clubs in college Work ex: event management, and internship at an MNC bank

Undergrad in BBA major in finance 3.35 GPA A decently average gmat score Research papers and entrepreneurship projects Started social entrepreneurship club Lot of community work Tons of other extra curricular activities, head of clubs in college Work ex: event management, and internship at an MNC bank

Yes. I guess this is a generic letter.

My profile - Bachelor of Engineering (IT), 2013 - 71.8% (3.53 CGPA) GMAT - 700 TOEFL - 111 decent extra curriculars , also involving leadership roles Worked for a big 4 consulting firm in its technology division (on a significant US-based project) Published a research paper in the final year

Ok, yes I've had my interview decision. I hear the final decision goes out until March 19. Has anyone, that has already interviewed, received their final decision? Do we (can we) receive the final decision before March 19? Please, if you get accepted, ASAP, post here.

AliB1992:

Ok, yes I've had my interview decision. I hear the final decision goes out until March 19. Has anyone, that has already interviewed, received their final decision? Do we (can we) receive the final decision before March 19? Please, if you get accepted, ASAP, post here.

Pretty sure they send them all at the same time, just like they did with the interview notifications.

My interview went really well. Asked about my background and a lot about teamwork situations. How i failed and succeeded as a leader. How Ill be able to contribute at Duke, future plans, etc. Interviewer was an MBA student and was really friendly and nice.

Got waitlisted. I'm going to send Lisa an email. I didn't say anything until now, but I felt my interview was unfair.

My interviewer was rude from the start, was wearing a dirty T shirt, and when I asked him why he chose Duke (since he told me he knew absolutely nothing about the MMS program and couldn't answer questions about it), he told me that he visited other campuses and found Duke to have the least amount of 'finance people' and that he 'can't stand finance people.'

This was, of course, after seeing multiple finance internships on my resume and hearing that my long term goal is to work in venture capital.

It's likely a 2nd year MBA who interviewed you. They have those admission fellows getting paid to interview MBA and MMS applicants. Should definitely let Lisa and Eric know about that scumbag... this is pretty fucked up I hope that guy won't get away with this type of badass attitude.

Plsright:

It's likely a 2nd year MBA who interviewed you. They have those admission fellows getting paid to interview MBA and MMS applicants. Should definitely let Lisa and Eric know about that scumbag... this is pretty fucked up I hope that guy won't get away with this type of badass attitude.

Lisa responded and apologized for him and told me that they're reconsidering my application. It's not about getting in for me, as I won't attend the program even if I'm admitted. My goal is VC which I'll have a better chance at out of an MSF.

But what if my goal was consulting? What if Duke was my #1 choice? People like this guy could have really wrecked someone's dreams. I contacted them to let them know to be more careful about who they allow to interview students, and maybe have them reconsider letting random MBA students participate.

Congratulations to everyone who was admitted!

Didn't get in. Good luck to everyone that did and I hope you guys get good scholarships for it and not too many loans. I got my eyes set on the MBA program at Case Western, which I will get better news.

Didn't get in. Good luck to everyone that did and I hope you guys get good scholarships for it and not too many loans. I got my eyes set on the MBA program at Case Western, which I will get better news.

Hi guys, I got wait listed and my decision status states that I would be interviewed in the next application round whose result would come up on 31st March. It really leaves little time to apply for a Visa, since the current one was the last round for international applicants. I've mailed Lisa regarding the same. She said that they're working on a timeline for conducting interviews. Do you have any idea about the conversion rate of interviews to admits?

Ppl who got in R1 said we will receive an email from fedex with tracking # when the packet is shipped. Guess just have to keep waiting then.. if you are international student the deadline for deposit is fast approaching, I would probably print out the confirmation card, send it to duke, and wire the deposit to duke.

Was just admitted after being on the waitlist for two weeks. Tough to decline the offer, but I already made my deposit at WUSTL.

Edit: Okay I've been thinking about it all day and I think I'm gonna go. It's so hard to turn down such an amazing school, and I have family in the area. Looking forward to seeing you guys this summer!

bashfulpanda:

Was just admitted after being on the waitlist for two weeks. Tough to decline the offer, but I already made my deposit at WUSTL.

Edit: Okay I've been thinking about it all day and I think I'm gonna go. It's so hard to turn down such an amazing school, and I have family in the area. Looking forward to seeing you guys this summer!

Duke has 4% IB placement and 1% PE/VC placement. What are your goals?

Pariatur rerum non ab. Deleniti autem magni expedita consequatur. Recusandae minus et suscipit qui.

Inventore rerum sit non expedita a in consequatur est. Ipsum quisquam voluptate non consequuntur. Excepturi similique amet maxime enim. Necessitatibus ex et molestiae voluptatem id qui. Odit voluptate minus recusandae asperiores aut sit molestiae. Voluptas ut reiciendis tenetur explicabo rerum inventore. Aliquid doloribus iure architecto commodi quasi blanditiis perferendis.

Accusantium vel neque quis ex. Quisquam omnis libero possimus repellat occaecati animi. Assumenda officia consequuntur illum et corporis. Cupiditate molestiae quisquam quia. Doloremque voluptate sunt et modi ut architecto.

Officia qui tempora adipisci nesciunt eligendi. A ut non ex enim autem. Optio quia omnis quaerat nihil adipisci cupiditate impedit nisi. Perspiciatis nemo occaecati neque fugiat deserunt rerum non. Sed et ea excepturi vel aut modi.

Magni sunt eos assumenda porro eius velit enim. Nihil sed occaecati est quidem eius. Corrupti quo qui facere voluptatem nisi enim. Nam voluptatem quisquam eligendi rerum error omnis iusto. Cumque ea molestias ut odio est sunt. Ad veritatis officiis qui fugit.

Voluptas a necessitatibus qui accusamus odit sit. Sed illum in voluptatum minima. Voluptatum fugiat esse quidem nihil ea.

Nesciunt quia et ex vel. Eum dolores id sunt ex sint.

Excepturi ratione itaque commodi autem architecto. Ut nam ut error nesciunt iusto. Libero consequuntur explicabo ut aut maiores provident.

Ipsam nihil rerum molestias modi. Amet culpa esse sequi. Fugiat voluptatibus quae et libero. Est voluptas distinctio ut commodi quidem consequuntur sit. Impedit at repudiandae sed aliquid quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”