Carried interest / carry interest for a $100 - $200mn fund with a 2-3 person team?

Hi there, am hoping to get your view on the appropriate carry structure (as well as base + bonus range)

• $100 - $200mn VC fund
  • I will join before securing anchor LP (i.e., have not started fundraising)
  • Joining as senior associate (4 years of BB IBD experience)
  • 1 to 2 partners (depending on fund size); no other professionals, maybe one contract consultant

Obviously a very risky move joining a fund pre-fundraising but have confidence in the partner's ability to raise the fund given strong angel-investing / entrepreneurial track-record

What should my carried interest be as a % of total pool? Note the compensation structure is base + carried only (i.e., no bonus).

Many thanks!

A recent thread that has some relevant information in as it relates to a PE VP (~ same experience level as you): http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/vice-president-fund-carryequity Adjust the base + bonus down significantly due to smaller fund size and adjust the carry up to make up for additional risk. Add a few points of carry on top of that as a starting point for discussions.

Best Response

It really depends on the partners, but generally speaking, in a new fund, the founding partners will keep the lion share of the carry. In your situation, I would think something in the range of 1-3% would make sense, depending on your base + bonus and the generosity of the partners (and how much they want to keep for future hires). Given you have not secured any funds so far, how are you going to get paid until the first closing? That's going to have an impact on carry / comp, especially If the partners are paying you out of their pocket.

I don't have tons of data point for funds this size so others may want to chime in, but given you have no buy-side experience, I would think you should expect a total comp around $150-200K.

mtnmmnn:

It really depends on the partners, but generally speaking, in a new fund, the founding partners will keep the lion share of the carry. In your situation, I would think something in the range of 1-3% would make sense, depending on your base + bonus and the generosity of the partners (and how much they want to keep for future hires). Given you have not secured any funds so far, how are you going to get paid until the first closing? That's going to have an impact on carry / comp, especially If the partners are paying you out of their pocket.

I don't have tons of data point for funds this size so others may want to chime in, but given you have no buy-side experience, I would think you should expect a total comp around $150-200K.

The partner will pay me out of his own pocket for my salary before the fund closes - however, that will be a very insignificant amount. (think 30% - 50% of salary for a small fund).

Personally I think 3% is a bit low, given I will only have base + carried interest (i.e., no bonus, given the small fund size and limited mgmt fee). I was thinking 5% is more reasonable.

I know a few folks in similar sized funds. 1-3% is the typical range for a new senior associate (post MBA) at a first time $100-200m fund. 5% is pushing it and I doubt you'll get it, but doesn't hurt to ask. At the very least, you should negotiate for a substantial increase in base once the fund closes.

VC_associate_13:

I know a few folks in similar sized funds. 1-3% is the typical range for a new senior associate (post MBA) at a first time $100-200m fund. 5% is pushing it and I doubt you'll get it, but doesn't hurt to ask. At the very least, you should negotiate for a substantial increase in base once the fund closes.

Thank you - this is helpful to know. And I don't even have an MBA :P.

Just curious, for the similar-sized funds, how many partners, VPs/Principals, and associates do they have, for the associate to receive 1-3%? Keep in mind that the fund I'm pursuing will likely have founding partner, a junior partner and myself.

They are structured the same way as your firm. 1-2 founding partners, maybe 1 principal, and you're the 1st associate. The carry structure also depends a lot on projected headcount. If they're planning on hiring an army of associates and adding more partners, the carry structure will look very different than if they want to keep the team lean for the whole fund.

Id vel voluptatem eum velit. Vitae soluta quisquam molestias delectus. Enim eum praesentium neque maxime corporis. Reiciendis doloremque consequatur deserunt sunt soluta. Fugiat a id sed soluta voluptatem ea nobis.

Est ex nam error et molestiae. Eius deleniti et impedit omnis rerum magni qui. Incidunt voluptate necessitatibus ut exercitationem.

Quo eligendi odit sed ut. Reiciendis et animi eos amet. Sapiente facilis dolorem nemo accusamus. Est vel beatae deserunt molestiae autem et. Fuga aperiam magnam commodi vel incidunt officia sit rerum. Saepe facilis et ut facilis earum et.

Consequatur pariatur omnis rem odio ut voluptatem. Corrupti voluptatem quo dolorum ad magni aut voluptatibus. Hic laudantium qui quo officiis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”